From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Tinami Amori

And yet the names related to doping in figure skating coming to my mind are very russian:
Berezhnaya
Larionova
Boborova
---
And more important, after the big doping scandal:
Shakun
Koshevaya (who skated at Universiade 2019)

And well, you know I love my russians, still :shuffle:
All the ones listed (except Bobrova) simply made mistakes buying over the counter medicine in a drug store, during the competition because they either had a cold or a swelling or something immediate, without checking with the doctors for the medicine's content. It was not "doping" but a mistake, while still yes, a violation.

Bobrova's case was different. She stopped using the substance that became prohibited after Jan 1. But tested positive because WADA did not investigate properly how long the traces remain in the body after the stop date. Bobrova was reinstated. it was WADA's mistake.

Berezhnaya - cold med (over the counter).
Larionov - headache pills (over the counter).
Shakun - eye infection drops
Koshevaya - leg swelling

:D

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
^do you see any difference between Valieva and Kostornaia?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kostornaia were the one to take the next Olympics by storm. Of course it's ridiculously early to start predicting things, but Alena is such a complete skater with solid technique and wonderful artistry. Unlike many of the others, I can see her going on for years.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
believing that the political stooges at WADA are in any way independent is equivalent to believing that the moon is made out of green cheese. And that is only the starting point in terms of WADA’s many flaws.

As I've said before, the political stooges at WADA can in no way be considered independent. The response to WADA is simple. Vote with your feet and boycott. I for one will boycott any event that WADA disrupts in the future. In terms of skating, that's likely to be just the Olympics and Rostelecom.

As the above articles highlight, people have known about the problems with WADA for a very long time. Yet nothing is done about them. The whole organisation is rotten to the core. Its time it was closed down and replaced.

Do you see WADA attacking any other countries with the same level of determination? No - Jamaica being just one example where they did not dig a little deeper

Interesting quote from the article above: "Wada officials are due to discuss their visit to Jamaica at an executive board meeting in Johannesburg on Tuesday and could make a series of recommendations to improve the country's anti-doping policies. But Dr Wright, a senior doping control officer with Jadco who has 30 years of experience of drug testing in sport, is concerned Wada's intervention will not lead to the sweeping changes required to give the world confidence in Jamaican sport."

Dr Wright was right to be concerned. No concerted action was taken and his concerns were just dismissed as "being dramatic".

Now that is what I call double standards

Bobrova's case was different. She stopped using the substance that became prohibited after Jan 1. But tested positive because WADA did not investigate properly how long the traces remain in the body after the stop date. Bobrova was reinstated. it was WADA's mistake.

Typical WADA incompetence.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Based on what I have seen so far, WADA is a political rather than doping prevention agency. They are always trying to disqualify Russian athletes from major events. Many of these athletes have never done drugs. Many are banned without even giving a reason. This madness has to stop. Punish the culprits but don’t punish the innocent, and certainly don’t punish only one country. Doping is not just a Russian problem. Others in the world have been guilty too in the past.

hanca

Values her privacy
Ok, a little bit of bragging.
Out of 24 medals possible in JGP and GP, Team Russia takes 12.
8 in Juniors: https://i.imgur.com/vOphOD3.jpg
4 in Seniors: https://i.imgur.com/NRoF3vo.jpg

Of which 6 (1/4 of all medals) belongs to Team Tutberidze.
They had 7 skaters, of which only 6 could medal by the rules, and all 6 medals were earned.

Congrats to "Three ladies and the dog".. :D
Poor Zagitova. Not only she was the only one from the group who didn’t medal, but she was also last. Having a bad day sucks, but being the only one who is considered that she didn’t deliver, and after doing so well in the SP, that makes it even worse for her.

mollymgr

I loved the press conference after the free skate to see their personalities. Alexandra brought her little dog(Tina) and was petting her through the whole thing. Aliona was busy on her phone keeping her eyes down (perhaps she is shy and that was one way of deflecting this attention) petting Tina a couple times. Anna was being very calm. During some moments they would talk to each other through signs or words. In any case, the responses they gave to all the questions (including the more idiotic questions) was noteworthy. These women are very mature and wise. But most importantly, they love skating.

goldberry99

Punish the culprits but don’t punish the innocent, and certainly don’t punish only one country. Doping is not just a Russian problem. Others in the world have been guilty too in the past.

What evidence is there that any country other than Russia has had a state sponsored program? Not being snarky, I am honestly asking because I haven’t heard of any others.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
China in summer Olympics

Well pointed out Vash! And here are a few articles all about it

Oh, and look - WADA, that pompous bastion of moral rectitude, whilst giving Russia a good kicking, has been sitting on (i.e wilfully ignoring) the scandal involving China for the last 7 years! Yet another example of politically motivated double standards

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I loved the press conference after the free skate to see their personalities. Alexandra brought her little dog(Tina) and was petting her through the whole thing. Aliona was busy on her phone keeping her eyes down (perhaps she is shy and that was one way of deflecting this attention) petting Tina a couple times. Anna was being very calm. During some moments they would talk to each other through signs or words. In any case, the responses they gave to all the questions (including the more idiotic questions) was noteworthy. These women are very mature and wise. But most importantly, they love skating.

I'd like to see/read some articles about the Russian skaters at the GPF posted in this thread... any links please?

Maofan7

Away (Workload)

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, but I meant decent articles in Russian :D (I've looked through all the English ones & many are posted in the Kiss & Cry section already).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Well pointed out Vash! And here are a few articles all about it

Oh, and look - WADA, that pompous bastion of moral rectitude, whilst giving Russia a good kicking, has been sitting on (i.e wilfully ignoring) the scandal for the last 7 years! Yet another example of politically motivated double standards

IIRC East Germany used to be guilty of doping. I don’t know if they were caught/banned.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Thanks, but I meant decent articles in Russian :D (I've looked through all the English ones & many are posted in the Kiss & Cry section already).

Thanks. See below

If you view the articles in google chrome, and then press translate in settings, you will be able to read them in English

Last edited:

skatfan

To be honest I fail to see why “state sponsored” doping is so much worse than “privately motivated” doping...

It’s pretty simple - a state-sponsored system encourages and coerces athletes into doping (by allowing an uneven playing field if they don’t), rather than the state monitoring system preventing athletes from using drugs by providing checks and outing those who do use drugs and penalizing them.

J

Jeschke

Pavel Golivishnikov is on the entry list for POL nationals alongside Anastasia Polibina.
Seems he switched/got released.

He placed Top10 at nationals with his former partner Sosnitskaia the last 5yrs.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Am not even sure where to look anymore.
TASS were there, ria.ru were there, sport-express were there. They all interviewed coaches (probably the skaters as well, but I saw at least Aratyunian talking to Khodorovski and later to Samokhvalov). However, for now it all seems to be just fluff and reprinting their mixed zone/press conf

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Clean athletes will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

In this BBC article it is mentioned that UEFA is not considered as a major event organization so Russia will be able to compete in Euro 2020 with St. Petersburg as one of the host cities. I wonder whether the ISU is considered as one (I suppose it is).

Last edited:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)

In this BBC article it is mentioned that UEFA is not considered as a major event organization so Russia will be able to compete in Euro 2020 with St. Petersburg as one of the host cities. I wonder whether the ISU is considered as one (I suppose it is).

The ISU is a major event organisation. See links below

Hence, this is likely to affect world championships, Euro's, Rostelecom (indeed any event organised by the ISU), as well as the Olympics. Likely to be a lot of fan boycotts by way of protest at WADA's disgusting conduct, so hope they appeal.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

In this BBC article it is mentioned that UEFA is not considered as a major event organization
:rofl:

I wonder whether the ISU is considered as one (I suppose it is).
UEFA isn't but ISU is? :rofl:
The only logic here would be UEFA is europe only.

So no total ban; this decision seems fine for me.
Sucks for the clean athletes who wanted to compete under their flag and hear their anthem, but it could have ended worse.

S

SmallFairy

According to Norwegian media, Mishin said to R-Sport: "We should host our own Olympic games, if CAS doesn't change their minds".

(in Norwegian)

D

Deleted member 40371

If Russia can't send full team to the worlds, they will have to go through Nebelhorn trophy and qualify one athlete/team per event, so even a full team looks unlikely for olympics. In the ladies that could be just one athlete of Kostornaia, Scherbakova or Trusova. This is a perfect hit job.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
According to Norwegian media, Mishin said to R-Sport: "We should host our own Olympic games, if CAS doesn't change their minds".

(in Norwegian)

Well, it has the potential to fracture the whole of world sport down political lines. What is there to stop any group of nations from resigning from the IOC and organising their own alternative? After all, there are now 5 organisations in boxing who have their own world title. Many other examples out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information