From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread now that the Rostelecom Cup TBD host spots were filled today (Sept. 17).

LADIES (18 spots)
Alina Zagitova (France & NHK/Japan)
Evgenia Medvedeva (Skate Canada & Russia)
Sofia Samodurova (China & Japan)
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (Skate America & China)
Alexandra Trusova (Skate Canada & Russia) *debut
Anna Shcherbakova (Skate America & China) *debut
Alena Kostornaia (France & Japan) *debut
Stanislava Konstantinova (Skate America & Russia)
Maria Sotskova (France)
Serafima Sakhanovich (Skate Canada)

MEN (14 15 spots)
Mikhail Kolyada (Skate Canada & NHK/Japan)
Alexander Samarin (France & Russia)
Andrei Lazukin (Skate Canada & China)
Dmitri Aliev (Skate America & Russia)
Sergei Voronov (France & Japan)
Roman Savosin (Skate America & China) *debut
Anton Shulepov (France & added to NHK on Aug. 23, replacing Dmitriev) *debut
Artur Dmitriev (Japan) (he had nasal surgery on June 8 [link])
Rostelecom Cup TBD: Makar Ignatov *debut

PAIRS (12 13 spots)
Tarasova/Morozov (Skate Canada & Russia)
Zabiiako/Enbert (Skate America & France)
Boikova/Kozlovskii (Skate Canada & Russia)
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin (Skate America & France)
Mishina/Galliamov (France & Japan) *debut
Efimova/Korovin (China & added to NHK Trophy on Sept. 17)
Rostelecom Cup TBD: Stolbova/Novoselov *debut as a team

ICE DANCE (14 spots)
Sinitsina/Katsalapov (China & Russia)
Stepanova/Bukin (Skate America & Japan)
Zagorski/Guerreiro (Skate America & France)
Skoptcova/Aleshin (China & Russia)
Eremenko/Shevchenko (Skate America & Japan) *debut
Evdokimova/Bazin (Skate Canada & China)
Popova/Mozgov (Skate Canada)
Rostelecom Cup TBD: Shpilevaya/Smirnov *debut

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Reading who is in and out of the upcoming events, in the Russian team, here is some info:

Kolyada is out of his next Challenger, due to recurrent sinusoids.
Ushakova/Nekrasov off the JGP list (looks like did not recover from injury)
Kostykovich/Ialin (injury) and Vislobokova/Brukhanov (low score) off the JGP list.
Tarusina/Kanysheva off the JGP list (both handling injuries).
Zabiako/Enbert off the Shanghai Trophy - injury (replaced by B/K)

hanca

Values her privacy
Starting a new thread now that the Rostelecom Cup TBD host spots were filled today (Sept. 17).

LADIES (18 spots)
Alina Zagitova (France & NHK/Japan)
Evgenia Medvedeva (Skate Canada & Russia)
Sofia Samodurova (China & Japan)
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (Skate America & China)
Alexandra Trusova (Skate Canada & Russia) *debut
Anna Shcherbakova (Skate America & China) *debut
Alena Kostornaia (France & Japan) *debut
Stanislava Konstantinova (Skate America & Russia)
Maria Sotskova (France)
Serafima Sakhanovich (Skate Canada)

MEN (14 spots)
Mikhail Kolyada (Skate Canada & NHK/Japan)
Alexander Samarin (France & Russia)
Andrei Lazukin (Skate Canada & China)
Dmitri Aliev (Skate America & Russia)
Sergei Voronov (France & Japan)
Roman Savosin (Skate America & China) *debut
Anton Shulepov (France) *debut
Artur Dmitriev (Japan) (he had nasal surgery on June 8 [link])
Rostelecom Cup TBD: Makar Ignatov *debut

PAIRS (12 spots)
Tarasova/Morozov (Skate Canada & Russia)
Zabiiako/Enbert (Skate America & France)
Boikova/Kozlovskii (Skate Canada & Russia)
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin (Skate America & France)
Mishina/Galliamov (France & Japan) *debut
Efimova/Korovin (China)
Rostelecom Cup TBD: Stolbova/Novoselov *debut as a team

ICE DANCE (14 spots)
Sinitsina/Katsalapov (China & Russia)
Stepanova/Bukin (Skate America & Japan)
Zagorski/Guerreiro (Skate America & France)
Skoptcova/Aleshin (China & Russia)
Eremenko/Shevchenko (Skate America & Japan) *debut
Evdokimova/Bazin (Skate Canada & China)
Popova/Mozgov (Skate Canada)
Rostelecom Cup TBD: Shpilevaya/Smirnov *debut
Efimova/Korovin have 2 GP events. Japan and China.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Photo shoots with Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova, and Plushenko for his new "Cinderella" show. Julia's dress is to die for!

Ka3sha

New interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

They are thinking about turning back to original SP (to 'Drumming Song', by Florence and The Machine), maybe will try it at St Petersburg Cup event and at FinTrophy. She is working on quad toe, she lands it on a harness but already without any assistance from the coach. Wants to learn it during the season.
She got food poisoning before LP at Lombardia, so didn't feel well enough.

Finsta

I love her. All this talk and hype and crowning of the 3A and Alina already , and Liza continues to fight. It would be funny if Liza wins Russian Nationals and Worlds. Russia would hate her for beating their favorites but the world would love her even more because the world already loves her

muffinplus

I honestly hope Liza makes it to world team. Nothing against 3A ( or 4A)... but welll just the way even fans dont distinguish them.... there is degree of sameness in them. Liza is different and has certain maturity in her skating.

Huh? Not sure what you mean about fans not distinguishing them... they are all really different and liked for different reasons

starrynight

It's always interesting reading interviews with Liza. She always has a level headed response to things. She's a steadying factor in the often crazy scene of Russian ladies.

I enjoyed reading about how she is expanding her cooking repertoire and how she cooks for her boyfriend. She also said that her exhibition will not be as showy as Toxic last season, as they are treating this season very seriously from a competition perspective.

A full English translation is here:

Ka3sha

Very interesting and thoughtful interview with Ivan Samodelkin, fellow skater , who lost his leg in an accident last year, and his wife Ksenia

He started doing rowing (crew) and wants to take part in Summer Paralympic Games :)

zebraswan

I love her. All this talk and hype and crowning of the 3A and Alina already , and Liza continues to fight. It would be funny if Liza wins Russian Nationals and Worlds. Russia would hate her for beating their favorites but the world would love her even more because the world already loves her

That isn't going to happen for about 50 different reasons...nice fanfiction though.

I certainly don't think the "3A" are the same at all...but then, I never would use that phrase. Trusova is one of a kind.

hanca

Values her privacy
Considering that she is using the same choreography even when she changes the music, I wonder why she doesn’t turn up for every competition with a different music. That would make her stand out. Everyone would be waiting what her program would be this time...

love_skate2011

Banned Member

ughh, puhleeese guys admit it, you just like Liza coz now she is the underdog now and you only think she is mature because she has stuck for so long, running 3 Olympic seasons now for Russia, she is basically Leonova by russian female skating age standards.

hanca

Values her privacy
ughh, puhleeese guys admit it, you just like Liza coz now she is the underdog now and you only think she is mature because she has stuck for so long, running 3 Olympic seasons now for Russia, she is basically Leonova by russian female skating age standards.
How many 3A has Leonova landed?

starrynight

Love when a skater with the highest SP base value and three triple axels is called an underdog :rofl:

Yeah I know. And Tuktamysheva has fans because she has accumulated them over competing at senior level for nine years. Can you believe she did her first senior grand prix event in 2011?

I think it all got lost in the wash, but isn't Tuktamysheva the first skater to land 3 triple axels across two programs?

I also like Liza because I find her calm and cool attitude to those struggles she faced in those 2016 to 2018 years and her subsequent comeback to be super inspiring. Particularly given the system actually broke a lot of the girls of her era pretty hard. She's very confident and ballsy in an environment that's very judgemental and harsh. I think that there's a lot to admire and she balances a personal life off the ice well with her training. As an adult, I can identify with that and think it's pretty cool.

Last edited:

starrynight

And it's not to say that one or more of the new girls coming up won't grow into someone as cool as Liza. But they need time and age to go through those experiences, grow as people and athletes and for us to get to know them.

I'm sure if any of the new girls are still competing in 7 years time, they will certainly have a lot of very interesting stories to tell and I will probably admire them a lot.

muffinplus

VenusH.

And it's not to say that one or more of the new girls coming up won't grow into someone as cool as Liza. But they need time and age to go through those experiences, grow as people and athletes and for us to get to know them.

I'm sure if any of the new girls are still competing in 7 years time, they will certainly have a lot of very interesting stories to tell and I will probably admire them a lot.

As I said in the other thread.... as adult I enjoy Liza's interviews because she is interesting and her experience as skater and guman being shows. Lots of other girls talk about their dogs a lot... nothing wrong with pets but I guess I can handle only so much squee.

And Liza... she may not do milion zilion transitions.... but as a performer... she has huge charisma, sorta like Surya Bonaly back than.

Dobre

I've liked Liza since 2013 or 14. It was the year she had the dark program? (And, yes, it was probably because she was an underdog. She has had some really awful material since the year she won Worlds, but it was good last season. This year, I have not decided yet. And apparently she hasn't either;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information