From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

nimi

So excited to see his LP, so happy to see him make the final group. I hope he isn't intimidated by the occasion.
I noticed how his hand shook in his starting position, so I was pleasantly surprised how quickly he overcame his nerves!

Although afterwards he said he wasn't that nervous to begin with:
“I had a good focus today and all this did not let me down. To be honest, I was not extra nervous. The support from the crowd made me really happy and I felt elated, but that can throw me off a little, and therefore, I calmed myself down. But nevertheless, I felt the support during my program.”

“I worked hard and prepared for this competition,” added the 18-year-old. “Tomorrow is another day and I need to keep it together. I realize when I do my job I will get good scores.”

NAOTMAA

Knew someone would say this.

But, IMO, it's just as well for Aliev that the Russian Fed has left him out of the spotlight. He's having to earn his way, and it's been good for him this season.

People said the EXACT same thing with Koldaya 2 years ago when he had a great worlds and Kovtun bombed badly and Petrov(?) was way underwhelming.

How thrilled and excited everbody was that Mikhail was able to fly under the rader, for the most part, and do his own thing, develop at his own pace. How the fed was finally not destroying a promising skater right out of the gate.

It turns out even after getting what Maxim, Sergey and Artur was denied he still can't handle the pressure. He just doesn't have the metal grit. So the Russian fed pressuring him isn't the top reason reason for his troubles. But he can still turn it around, he's still young.

If Aliev is ever given the chance of being Russian #1 we shall see how he handles the pressure. At this point we don't know but who knows maybe he will finally be the one who can.

Unless we later learn Aliev turned it down, Kolydaya never should have done the team LP after the bad Euros and team SP. Stop putting all the eggs in one basket. If the fed don't finally learn that after these Olympics (after years of the same problem) then the future doesn't look bright (unless they get lucky and get someone with he mental grit)

Madison25

People said the EXACT same thing with Koldaya 2 years ago when he had a great worlds and Kovtun bombed badly and Petrov(?) was way underwhelming.

How thrilled and excited everbody was that Mikhail was able to fly under the rader, for the most part, and do his own thing, develop at his own pace. How the fed was finally not destroying a promising skater right out of the gate.

It turns out even after getting what Maxim, Sergey and Artur was denied he still can't handle the pressure. He just doesn't have the metal grit. So the Russian fed pressuring him isn't the top reason reason for his troubles. But he can still turn it around, he's still young.

If Aliev is ever given the chance of being Russian #1 we shall see how he handles the pressure. At this point we don't know but who knows maybe he will finally be the one who can.

Unless we later learn Aliev turned it down, Kolydaya never should have done the team LP after the bad Euros and team SP. Stop putting all the eggs in one basket. If the fed don't finally learn that after these Olympics (after years of the same problem) then the future doesn't look bright (unless they get lucky and get someone with he mental grit)
The Russian Fed couldn't switch men, as the plan was to split ladies and pairs, to let them to conserve forces for the individual event.

hanca

Values her privacy
Amina Atakhanova has teamed up Nikita Volodin (who previously skated with Alina Ustimkina), the pair will debut at St Petersburg Championship in the end of February

Entries lists
Juniors:http://fskating.spb.ru/images/spiski_uch_2018_pvo.pdf
Seniors: http://fskating.spb.ru/images/spiski_uch_2018_hspb.pdf
I am impressed that they are ready so quickly. She left the Moscow group only around Christmas time, so they are skating together less than two months. I hope this will work out.

Osipova/Tarasenko are also competing. They are together only first season and he will be too old for juniors next season, so they still have lots of catching up to get to the proper senior level, but there was something in their skating I really liked. Even though they were not the standard we expect from Russian pairs yet.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The Russian Fed couldn't switch men, as the plan was to split ladies and pairs, to let them to conserve forces for the individual event.
And that is an enormously stupid rule, since it, at most, would cost them a maximum of 12 pieces of hardware, if all three teams on the podium would have only substituted Ladies and Men when restricted to two. It's not like they'd have to house and feed any more athletes.

skatingguy

decently
And that is an enormously stupid rule, since it, at most, would cost them a maximum of 12 pieces of hardware, if all three teams on the podium would have only substituted Ladies and Men when restricted to two. It's not like they'd have to house and feed any more athletes.
I think the intent was to level the playing field for those teams that couldn't substitute an athlete, but I'm not sure it really changes anything.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
the Russian fed needs to continue to ignore Aliev. Sorry Kolyada, but you're taking one for the team. Dima and his coaching team have been bringing him along nicely and haven't rushed him to do things until he was ready. He does not need to be crushed under unreal federation expectations until he's ready to shoulder them. His stamina in the free needs a lot of work. I will be bereft if he's Kovtuned or Kolyadaed. Leave him alone. :lynch:

caseyedwards

the Russian fed needs to continue to ignore Aliev. Sorry Kolyada, but you're taking one for the team. Dima and his coaching team have been bringing him along nicely and haven't rushed him to do things until he was ready. He does not need to be crushed under unreal federation expectations until he's ready to shoulder them. His stamina in the free needs a lot of work. I will be bereft if he's Kovtuned or Kolyadaed. Leave him alone. :lynch:
The problem is you know tarasova will be at his training sessions now if not harassing him already. She needs to be banned. When menshov became Russian champ and went to euros he told a funny story of being harassed by her. But not funny! Disturbing! She destroys with her harassment.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think the intent was to level the playing field for those teams that couldn't substitute an athlete, but I'm not sure it really changes anything.
I realize this is not your argument, but the rationale.

I'm not sure how that levels the playing field, with only five nations making the Final. No one is forced to do the TE: they can turn it down, and 3-4 go in without any notion of having an icicle's chance in hell of making the final, so substitutions are moot for 5.

Since the TE comes first, the only potential impact of skating both in the Final is to the individual event performance, as every skater or team has to do both programs in regular competition. So teams that have more than one qualified skater or team have the advantage of giving two skaters/teams the option of getting out the jitters and not having to skate four at the Olympics (assuming they qualify for the free). Not everyone considers skating four a burden vs. an opportunity, either.

Changing the rules would make that a maximum of four. Plus, as we've seen, V/M, D/W, and possibly the Shibs had the option of splitting and skated four voluntarily. (I say "possibly" because nothing's been published with the USOC selection rules for TE for 2018, and they might be different than 2014 where it would have been the Shibs' choice [before any strong-arming].) So did D/R, as the Canadian Fed decided to substitute only one discipline (and I hope that set a fire under W/P like it did Sotnikova in 2014). Even if the US had two Pairs in the Olympics, they wouldn't have split any more than in 2014, with Pairs being the weakest discipline.

It's not like they didn't have any behavior from Sochi to make them change their substitution rules in the intervening four years.

NAOTMAA

I hope poor Dmitri is okay, the fall looked nasty :( But he fought hard and held it together, it could have been way worse so he should be proud :40beers:

I just hope the Russian fed. doesn't use this LP result as an excuse to simply back Kolyada as they have been, but unfortunately I think they will :( They REALLY need to open things up and let the men compete!

Marta24

I hope poor Dmitri is okay, the fall looked nasty :( But he fought hard and held it together, it could have been way worse so he should be proud :40beers:

I just hope the Russian fed. doesn't use this LP result as an excuse to simply back Kolyada as they have been, but unfortunately I think they will :( They REALLY need to open things up and let the men compete!
I already wrote it on the PBP thread, but Russia has a good chance to get the 3rd spot at Worlds, so I hope they will let both Aliev and Kolyada skate in Milano.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Loves_Shizuka

Despite the problems I am really pleased for Aliev.

I didn't think he'd even make the team - to then finish 7th at the Olympics is fantastic.

I thought for a split second he might stop during the LP but he fought well.

I just hope I'm not in for years of vomit-inducing nerves watching him (...I am aren't I?! :yikes: )

lala

Despite the problems I am really pleased for Aliev.

I didn't think he'd even make the team - to then finish 7th at the Olympics is fantastic.

I thought for a split second he might stop during the LP but he fought well.

I just hope I'm not in for years of vomit-inducing nerves watching him (...I am aren't I?! :yikes: )
I like him too. I'm his fan since 2016. I saw him live at JWCH.

annie_mg

I'm really impressed with Aliev. I only noticed him at the European Championships and his performance today was not at all at the same level here but he's got the "something" that I haven't seen in a Russian guy since Yags. We're talking 16 years. I hope he stays injury-free, cause he might be the only reason for me to get interested in what has become splatsplatquadsplatmens instead of mens.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Evgenia as Sailor Moon was trending on the popular page of Reddit yesterday. The non-skating crowd seems to find her very charming. Shared that interview from 2016 Worlds where she recited the lyrics in Japanese and people were falling all over themselves. If she wins, I expect her to be a very popular champion.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I first noticed Aliev as a junior. I thought he would be the future of Russian men's skating. Then he became inconsistent and I was not sure anymore. I had to wait a couple years to see him compete as a senior. I like what I am seeing. I hope he develops as a skater and is able to handle pressure. It seems the pressure of expectations got to Kolyada. I don't know if he can handle it in the future. I love his skating outside of the jumps. His jumps are gorgeous when done correctly, but unfortunately it doesn't happen often.

Perky Shae Lynn

My body is not ready for the womens event. Zagitova's success gave a whole new appreciation for Medvedeva, a whole new perspective. Like I went from meh on Medvedeva to oh my god I love her.... I don't know how I will handle the ladies. If Zagitova wins, I will be heart broken. Michelle and Tara all over again.

becca

My body is not ready for the womens event. Zagitova's success gave a whole new appreciation for Medvedeva, a whole new perspective. Like I went from meh on Medvedeva to oh my god I love her.... I don't know how I will handle the ladies. If Zagitova wins, I will be heart broken. Michelle and Tara all over again.
If I am a betting woman it is on Med. This is not a Tara vs Michelle. Tara was an experienced competitor. Look what went down with Yulia. Alina has a ton of expectations in someways unfair. Med has had two years to get use to this position not to mention Alina makes mistakes in the short.

ChiquitaBanana

I went through the same mental transformation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information