From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

adelia

Dmitriev Jr, well this isn't a surprise either. He spent a lot of time training in Moscow last season and Mishin didn't send any coach to go with Artur to TdF. So the end of that relationship was inevitable.

dinakt

The song Mishin mentions is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGW8gJKH1Y
However, his wording is vague enough that it is possible that Liza is using a different Tango sung by Petr Leshenko (Mishin mentions that he brought Petr Leshenko's recording from abroad to his Mother, and she cried listening to the song above, but then sort of jumps into mentioning Liza's tango without clarifying if it is the same one).
In any case, Petr Leshenko is outstanding and not very typical for Liza (tango rhythms nonwithstanding), because he is clearly so retro.
Leshenko was famous in the early 20th century for singing Tango melodies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Leshchenko

Last edited:

julieann

Greener in competition? They've been together for 3 seasons and Alexei is 28 years old. I think they can handle it if 15-year-old girls can. Z/E will most likely get the third spot and they're even less experienced as a pair.

K/S are injury prone and the motivation seems to be gone. If they prove me wrong, great...but if they really still had the drive to compete, it shouldn't take them half a year to make up their minds. Doesn't bode well for them imo.

They already made up their minds, they aren't competing, that's why they aren't on the Grand Prix list. What Smirnov said (and I as well) is that the federation wants to have pairs ready on reserve in case they are needed. If Klimov hurts his shoulder, Tarasova breaks her ankle, Enbert blows out his knee, very unlikely scenarios but the RF need to be prepared if they have other pairs to send. V/T are in the same boat as well.

I know everyone, I included really wanted Rogonov to succeed with his former and new partner but after 3 seasons the best is 7th at Euros and 10th at Worlds, it's just not enough. The only reason they were even sent to those two competitions was because S/K dropped out. Either they are still trying to gel as a pair and will get better (at 28 years old) or this is the best they'll be. Four seasons in, K/S were 4th at the Olympics and medaled at both Worlds and Euros. A/R won't even be close.

The RF is smart to keep V/T and K/S in the hole in case they are needed.

Ka3sha

RusFed approved the list of candidates for the national team (main and reserve)
http://www.minsport.gov.ru/2017/doc/FigurKatanie_sp2017-18.pdf

Ladies
Main: Zagitova, Medvedeva, Pogorilaya, Radionova, Sotskova
Reserve: Konstantinova, Leonova, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Tsurskaya

Men
Main: Aliev, Kolyada, Kovtun, Petrov, Samarin
Reserve: Voronov, Dmitriev, Lazukin

Pairs
Main: Astakhova/Rogonov, Zabiyako/Enbert, Stolbova/Klimov, Tarasova/Morozov
Reserve: Boikova/Kozlovsky, Volosozhar/Trankov, Efimova/Korovin, Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ice Dance
Main: Bobrova/Soloviev, Evdokimova/Bazin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Loboda/Drozd, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin
Reserve: Davankova/Shibnev, Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Popova/Mozgov

hanca

Values her privacy
No Deputat on the team, not even in the reserve. I know he is currently without a partner, but they did put Miroshkin on the reserve team last year without his partner.

Also, Mirzoev is on the junior team (without a partner), whereas Mishina is only on the novice team (with Galliamov). I wonder why Mirzoev should be treated better than Mishina.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ilinykh Zhiganshin are listed as reserves. I thought Zhinganshin had announced his retirement?

sammyf

No Deputat on the team, not even in the reserve. I know he is currently without a partner, but they did put Miroshkin on the reserve team last year without his partner.

Also, Mirzoev is on the junior team (without a partner), whereas Mishina is only on the novice team (with Galliamov). I wonder why Mirzoev should be treated better than Mishina.

Can you list the other junior and novice pairs teams listed?

Darkverse

Can you list the other junior and novice pairs teams listed?
Junior: Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Akhantieva/Kolesov, Zhuk/Britkov, Poluyanova/Sopot, Ustimkina/Volodin, Mirzoev.
Novice: Kvartalova/Svyatchenko, Kudriavtseva/Semenenko, Lyirova/Selkin, Mishna/Galliamov, Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin, Panfilova/Rylov.

Mishina is probably there because of Galliamov. And they can hardly put Mirzoev on the novice team, there is the age problem.

hanca

Values her privacy
Junior: Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Akhantieva/Kolesov, Zhuk/Britkov, Poluyanova/Sopot, Ustimkina/Volodin, Mirzoev.
Novice: Kvartalova/Svyatchenko, Kudriavtseva/Semenenko, Lyirova/Selkin, Mishna/Galliamov, Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin, Panfilova/Rylov.

Mishina is probably there because of Galliamov. And they can hardly put Mirzoev on the novice team, there is the age problem.
I am not sure in what universe Poluyanova/Sopot is stronger than Mishina/Galliamov. In fact, considering that Poluyanova/Sopot have not competed together yet, I think they should be in novice. It is not as if Poluyanova or Sopot had particularly strong last season with their previous partners to deserve it based on the results from last season. I would think Kvartalova/Sviatchenko or Mishina/Galliamov or Pavliuschenko/Khodykin would deserve to be in juniors more than Poluyanova/Sopot.

Anyway, that's 12 pairs (I am counting Mirzoev as a pair because I heard that he has a new partner). I wonder how they will split 12 spots among 12 pairs. Ideally it would be six of them having two spots each so that they can get to JGPF. But which six will be the lucky ones?

Panfilova/Rylov may be the weakest one, because of her jumps.
Zhuk/Britkov can be good or useless, depending whether Britkov will land his jumps or not. Often not.
Lyirova/Selkin are a new pair, and although they were decent, they were not brilliant in their previous partnerships, so they may not be also that great at first.
Mirzoev with partner, Mishina/Galliamov and Borisova/Sopot are also new pairs, but they could be quite decent. (Not sure if Mirzoev's new partner is not a pair beginner. In such case they would have no chance for JGP events).

So my bet would be on Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Ustimkina/Volodin, Kvartalova/ Sviatchenko, Pavliuschenko/Khodykin, Kudriavtseva/Semeneko, and the last two spot between Akhantieva/Kolesov and Mishina/Galliamov.

Darkverse

Last I heard Mirzoev's partner was a 13 y.o. girl. So I doubt they are aiming for JGP sports this season. Her not being included on any lists is rather suggestive too.

hanca

Values her privacy
Last I heard Mirzoev's partner was a 13 y.o. girl. So I doubt they are aiming for JGP sports this season. Her not being included on any lists is rather suggestive too.
Well, if this season they won't compete, and next season he is not junir eligible and she is not senior eligible , what's the point of the partnership? Can't compete for two years, and after that she will be goibg through the puberty and he may dump her if she doesn't stay as thin and tiny.

Darkverse

Well, if this season they won't compete, and next season he is not junir eligible and she is not senior eligible , what's the point of the partnership? Can't compete for two years, and after that she will be goibg through the puberty and he may dump her if she doesn't stay as thin and tiny.
The most sensible explanation is that this partnership is temporary. Daria Gubina will learn the basics of pairs skating and Mirzoev gets to train with someone for the time being.

hanca

Values her privacy
@hanca , you're forgetting Boikova/Kozlovskii; IIRC they aren't moving up?
Ups, you are right. Because they are written under senior reserve, I didn't see their name and forgot to include them. B/K will definitely get two JGP. It will be hard to push through for those juniors. A few years ago there was nearly no one there, the good ones moving to seniors, and now suddenly it is getting crowded. I will feel sorry for those who look promising and will not get their event. That shows how important the test skates are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information