From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteskates

Geez. Not even four months after the childbirth. Talk about the tuff pair ladies.
I do not expect V/T will continue competing, but would love to see them in shows.

No, unfortunately they will most likely not compete again but I would love it if they came back. Still hoping (but probably in vain...)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Geez. Not even four months after the childbirth. Talk about the tuff pair ladies.
I do not expect V/T will continue competing, but would love to see them in shows.

Unless Max really wants to compete again, I don't expect to see them back in eligible skating. Tatiana looks great, so I hope it will inspire Max.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Volosozhar: The decision of finishing our career is not final
http://fs-gossips.com/tatiana-volosozhar-the-decision-of-finishing-our-career-is-not-final/

Still sounds unlikely that they will come back, but keeping the possibility open.

I don't see them coming back for the 2018 Olympics. There isn't enough time to get to that level and be a medal contender. However, there are just two medal worthy Russian pairs now, so there is a chance that they could make the 2018 Olympic team. It will be a big disappointment though for both Z&E and A&R. I would particularly like to see A&R to make the Olympic team in 2018.

Can V&T come back for the 2022 Olympics?

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Seems likely they will participate the Russian nationals. But Trankov already said that a couple of weeks ago, I think- that they will either participate the test skates or the nationals

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
A few more comments from Smirnov about whether or not he & Yuko will compete this season: http://fs-gossips.com/alexander-smirnov-and-yuko-kavaguti-were-realistic-about-our-chances/.

To me, it sounds like they're not going to compete, and will probably only return if something happens to one of the current top 3 (T/M, S/K, Z/E).

It seems the end may be near for Yuko and Sasha. :( They can't be competitive after all those injuries and there are younger pairs with a chance to develop. It makes sense for them to stay in shape, just in case there are injuries to other pairs.

lala

I would like to see a rejuvenated Sotnikova compete this season, but maybe I'm dreaming.

Adelina didn't train for more than one month. I think her comeback would have been too late to the next OG but after this injury became totally unlikely. In his first interview Plushenko said if this season won't be lucky they will continue the work in the next years.

edited: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVFN3f4h4aV/ Adelina

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Adelina didn't train for more than one month. I think her comeback would have been too late to the next OG but after this injury became totally unlikely. In his first interview Plushenko said if this season won't be lucky they will continue the work in the next years.

edited: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVFN3f4h4aV/ Adelina
She's young enough to skate another quad if she chooses. I'm sure it depends on her physical status and money.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:fragile: so Vasiliev was maybe onto something, but I think Yulia would be in way better hands with Moskvina. Not Vasiliev. Moskvina can pair her up with someone appropriate, she can spin and wow us, and all will be well and happy again. :) All that she needs is her 3toe and a 2axel.

(WHY. :wuzrobbed)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
All the better. He can have his say through a thick pane of glass, and she can take charge and make all of the decisions (and keep him at bay). :cheer: skating won't be the same without Lipnitskaya's spins. Imagine the pairs spin with Moskvina's input? :swoon: goodness

For the sbs spin, she would need to hold back a bit.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:fragile: so Vasiliev was maybe onto something, but I think Yulia would be in way better hands with Moskvina. Not Vasiliev. Moskvina can pair her up with someone appropriate, she can spin and wow us, and all will be well and happy again. :) All that she needs is her 3toe and a 2axel.

(WHY. :wuzrobbed)
IMHO, Lip doesn't have what it takes to skate pairs. She doesn't have the mental and physical toughness pair women have to have. You have to be able to reset your own dislocated shoulder, skate with ruptured tendons, take a fall from 2 meters in the air and get up and keep going. It's not just about jumps and flexibility. Pair women are gritty and tough all while looking petite and frail. They aren't.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Becoming an Aljona takes time, Rome wasn't built in a day. :) I'd even bet that when Aljona retires in 2026 she'd be willing to mentor her.

Yulia is tough as nails though, you've read her wrong there IMO.

I just want to stay in this corner with my denial and delusions for just a bit longer please. :fragile:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Becoming an Aljona takes time, Rome wasn't built in a day. :) I'd even bet that when Aljona retires in 2026 she'd be willing to mentor her.

Yulia is tough as nails though, you've read her wrong there IMO.

I just want to stay in this corner with my denial and delusions for just a bit longer please. :fragile:
There, there. Let's blame Eteri for not teaching her proper jump technique before she turned 16 and grew up.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm not sure I understand all this. Because Julia and Adelina didn't submit paperwork, they're definitely out? What happened to all that "working toward the test skate" stuff, and being named to the reserve team?

zebraswan

Yulia herself said that she has no interest in pairs. Not sure why people keep bringing this fantasy up when she already stated it wasn't going to happen.

IMO if she or Adelina did decide to compete later this season, the Fed would work with them regardless of whether they submitted the paperwork on time. They might not do that for everyone, but for OGM winners I think they would be a little more flexible. I have no idea if they will try to come back, though.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The Russian ladies field is crowded but I think Adelina and Julia may have an outside shot to be competitive if they get their jumps back. The only lady that's practically guaranteed an Olympic spot for 2018 is Zhenya Medvedeva (barring injury of course). The rest of the field is wide open.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yulia herself said that she has no interest in pairs. Not sure why people keep bringing this fantasy up when she already stated it wasn't going to happen.

Because it's better than her retiring, forever, like this? She said that back before 2016 Rostelecom Cup. Sue me for wanting to see her skate again and not end her career with that heart-wrenching LP.

She'll always be my favorite of this entire lot of Russian ladies, but maybe she'll continue post-2018. It didn't say she retired, she's just not submitted for next season! :saint:

zebraswan

I think people should just leave her alone if she's already emphatically said she has no desire to try pairs. It is dangerous and there's no guarantee that she would be able to compete with the top Russian pairs even if she found a compatible partner. You really need a certain personality type to be willing to let some guy throw you around on the ice...it's not for everyone and she knows that.

Besides, this interview with her first coach just came out today which says she is recovering from a foot injury.

- In recent years, we do not often talk on the phone, I work with children, in her training. But with her mother Daniela Leonidovna we connected. Now Julia in Sochi with his coach Alexei Urmanova. Treatment after a foot injury almost completed. We are waiting for the fall and the first qualifying starts.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
We're just reacting to the news here on a message board and coming up with fun solutions to see her skate again, I'm not sure why you take this as bothering Yulia. Nobody is bothering her by discussing this on a messageboard, discussing it here is leaving her alone, but anyways. It's kind of a lot to take in if you're a fan, right? I hope she's hanging in there and happy, I guess there's a lot that we don't know yet.

lala

I agree with Karpenko.

Plus the Russian journalism isn't famous about the loyalty, the correct information if they write about the stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information