From Russia with love [#23]: Spring/Summer 2016

Sylvia

TBD
Carry on here...

Team Russia's results at 2016 Worlds:

Ladies (3 spots in 2017):
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS 223.86 3 1 (debut)
3 Anna POGORILAYA RUS 213.69 2 4
6 Elena RADIONOVA RUS 209.81 5 5

Men (2 spots in 2017)
4 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 267.97 6 5 (debut)
18 Maxim KOVTUN RUS 210.14 13 21

Pairs (3 spots in 2017):
4 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 214.48 5 4
5 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS 206.27 6 5
6 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV RUS 205.81 3 7

Dance (2 spots in 2017):
9 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 168.97 9 10 (debut)
11 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 163.30 11 11

Copying a few posts over from the previous thread:
Apologies if this has already been posted before - Ekaterina Bobrova on Match
Alexei Rogonov became a father on 1st April :cheer2: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDvYss2J43L/
Looking to next season for Russian ladies

Medvedeva and Pogorilaya will be seeded in the 1-3 group on the GP and Radionova will be seeded in the 4-6 group on the GP. Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and Sotskova are each guaranteed one for being in the top 24 on the SB list. Additionally, Lipnitskaya, Leonova, and Sakhanovich are currently in the top 24 on the world standings list; if those positions hold once the 2013/2014 data is scrubbed, then they would also be guaranteed 1 GP spot.

Next season there won't be a new Russian "baby." I can't think of any Russian ladies who will be 15 as of July 1st this year who will be moving up to senior (what is this, a lost year in Russia's yearly dominance? :drama:). In fact, I think it's likely we'll only see one or two new Russian faces on the GP: Sotskova and Sakhanovich who are both the same age as Medvedeva. Sotskova should (must!) move up to senior after 3 seasons as a junior. She's been successful as a junior (2 JGP Final medals, including the gold in 2014, and 2016 world junior silver), and she is a consistent competitor, valiantly saving Russia's 3 jr. world spots after both her teammates withdrew. However, she has a lot of work to do on her basic skating skills so I don't expect her to immediately dominate the Senior scene. Sakhanovich had a particularly rough season this year after being part of Russia's 1-2 punch in 2014-2015. So she may or may not get to move up to the GP.

One thing's for sure: there will continue to be crazy competition at home for the Russian ladies. I expect it will be more of a battle between the names we're familiar with, though, rather than new, even younger skaters this upcoming season. Then look for the battle to get even tougher the following season when Tsurskaya and Fedichkina become age-eligible. :respec:
I will be very shocked if Medvedeva does not remain a huge force next season. I don't see her going the way of Lipnitskaya, even temporarily. I hope not, anyway. Her technique is good, and she seems so mentally strong. I'm already looking forward to seeing what she has in store for us next season program-wise.

Last edited:

snoopy

I agree with AYS from the last thread. Medvedeva is primed to dominate the rest of this cycle. She has all the components where other recent ladies winners don't. Consistency, technique, musicality, and a steady demeanor. Her head is on straight which helps a lot. She very much reminds me of Kwan and Kim as a competitor.

oleada

Med seems to love competing and wanting to win, which is a fabulous sign. I also think she will remain a force. The jump technique is solid and they seem so easy. She's not any shorter than the older ladies and has already filled out some - she seems to be the thin/lanky type.

I really enjoyed her LP live. Next season, I hope she can work on getting more into the ice. I can see her doing some fun modern stuff in the future.

zebraswan

Sergei Voronov gave an interview to Sport FM on Saturday. It's almost 45 min. long but I wonder if someone would at least translate the part around 7:20, where he is asked about his coaching change, I think. It sounds like Artur Gachinsky is part of Inna's coaching team now along with Alexander Uspenski...is that right? I'm curious about what they say about V/T as well, starting around the 12:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utDzzvmYWXA

They also interviewed Katia Bobrova yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv87Jp-SWfY

Last edited:

quiqie

Sergei Voronov gave an interview to Sport FM on Saturday. It's almost 45 min. long but I wonder if someone would at least translate the part around 7:20, where he is asked about his coaching change, I think. It sounds like Artur Gachinsky is part of Inna's coaching team now along with Alexander Uspenski...is that right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utDzzvmYWXA
He is asked about Elena Radionova's preparation for the Worlds, since he now trains with her on the same ice, and he says that they worked withe her coach Inna Goncharenko and with Alexandr Uspenski, and Artur Gachinsky also helped.

ETA. He doesn't say anything about his coaching change, except that at the end, he says he's now preparing for the Team Challenge Cup with the new coach Inna Goncharenko in CSKA.

Last edited:

Loves_Shizuka

Apparently she loved it :yikes:It was a gift from a Russian designer and TAT was raving about how gorgeous is was.

:rofl: Bless Radio's heart. That Titanic dress is the kind of thing my 9 year old niece would be made to wear in one of her dance shows.

To be fair, i think she looks quite nice at the dinner. She perhaps doesn't quite have the right shape for what that dress is supposed to be, but still, it's nice.

Pogo obviously looks amazing. Simple and effective always works. As it does for Ksenia. And Evgenia Tarasova looks gorgeous.

Obviously Smirnov looks wondrous whilst Kovun looks suitably glum.

I have a crush on Vladimir Morozov.

Oh and Kolyada looks about 12! Bless. Nice bowtie.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Those pairs results still leave me stunned ... :eek:

Medvedeva is a huge talent, I'm still not sold on her basics, packaging, world record, or vocal ability when belting out an anthem, but her performance in the LP was very clean. That she can do a 3/3/3/3 and then a 3/3 for every jumping pass says it all. But then again I'm not expecting anything else because she's with Tutberidze and may possibly vanish from the team next year. I don't like Averbukhs ideas for her at all (other than the hands over ears part with the music) or the granny hair and costuming. She's very very talented.

Xela M

Those pairs results still leave me stunned ... :eek:

Medvedeva is a huge talent, I'm still not sold on her basics, packaging, world record, or vocal ability when belting out an anthem, but her performance in the LP was very clean. That she can do a 3/3/3/3 and then a 3/3 for every jumping pass says it all. But then again I'm not expecting anything else because she's with Tutberidze and may possibly vanish from the team next year. I don't like Averbukhs ideas for her at all (other than the hands over ears part with the music) or the granny hair and costuming. She's very very talented.

The pairs results were soul-crushing, but unfortunately fair (aside from the question mark over S&M vs S&K) :(

I absolutely agree with you about Medvedeva! I don't like her programs or tasteless packaging at all!! She leaves me completely cold and I don't think the world record scores were merited

Xela M

Medvedeva, tasteless packaging?!? :eek: It really does take all kinds, I guess. I think her packaging is gorgeous and fascinating.

The half on/ half off tights, the granny dress, the terrible hair, the gloves = ahhhhh :scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information