From Russia with love [#23]: Spring/Summer 2016

Xela M

Aren't you the one who thinks Artur Dmitriev is attractive? And you consider yourself the arbiter of good taste? :p

Evgenia looked beautiful at the banquet. I thought her FS dress looked gorgeous in person too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDyBuOhwMeu

OMG more tastelessness than my eyes can handle :yikes:I wish Anna would dress everyone on the Russian team

And Artur Dmitriev was hot when he was young (92-94)! Not pretty, but sexy! https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1b/6c/fd/1b6cfd5b73c38b51d01425116ca4919b.jpg Obviously, not so much now...

Loves_Shizuka

I have a crush on him too but I'm the opposite. It's the first time I've fallen for someone with that coloring. And I watched an interview with them and he has a nice, deep voice.

Well I don't exclusively go for redheads ;) I can appreciate all races, builds, nationalities etc.

But a ginger Russian?! Go on then :p

Also, Evgenia Tarasova is hands down the classiest and most beautiful figure skater. She always looks so polished.

She really is. She looks gorgeous at that dinner. I'm clearly going to uber them next season. I love their clean, classical style.

Loves_Shizuka

The half on/ half off tights, the granny dress, the terrible hair, the gloves = ahhhhh :scream:

I like her dresses and that hairstyle. If anything, I think it's the opposite of tasteless - low key and pleasing.

The tights over boots thing though - YES. STOP IT! You too, Pogo. Anna has gone for white boots before and it makes her skating so much more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

Xela M

Smirnov :slinkaway:yikes:
Anna is very sexy..
Lena's dress..... That dress would be great for her grandmother..
Mika as a boy in the kindergarten :)
T/M as a pair from the panoptikum
S/K is very lovely together , Sinitsina is very pretty
Ksenia is cool:cool:
Kovtun is handsome

Agree with everything, except Sinitsina's dress, which I thought was hideous

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Those pairs results still leave me stunned ... :eek:

Medvedeva is a huge talent, I'm still not sold on her basics, packaging, world record, or vocal ability when belting out an anthem, but her performance in the LP was very clean. That she can do a 3/3/3/3 and then a 3/3 for every jumping pass says it all. But then again I'm not expecting anything else because she's with Tutberidze and may possibly vanish from the team next year. I don't like Averbukhs ideas for her at all (other than the hands over ears part with the music) or the granny hair and costuming. She's very very talented.

Pairs results reeked of politics.

I don't see Medvedeva going away anytime soon. I see her as the next Michelle Kwan- hugely talented, consistent, hugely competitive. She does have presentation skills at such a young age. She really has unlimited potential. If she misses a year due to physical changes combined with the cut throat competition in Russia, she will bounce back. This young lady is one tough cookie.

I loved her music and costume too. She made the whole package work.

I hope Anna will win a world title someday. She is too talented and too competitive not to. She really earned my respect by delivering when it really counted. I want to see her use modern music and develop more emotion in her skating.

Elena is yet another highly competitive young lady. Nobody can touch the audience the way she does. She needs to clean up some things in her skating. She is a very determined young lady, like Ashley. I really look forward to seeing great artistry from her.

For next year I expect these three to be in the mix, and see them challenged by Liza, Julia, Adelina, and Maria S. It will be yet another Russian Hunger Games. What makes them do so well at worlds is the intense internal competition.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I love Yuko and I wish her good health, but if she decides to call quits, who could be a suitable partner for Smirnov?

They all are very young but the ladies without partners are Antipova, Davankova (I am still hoping to see her skate pairs for Russia). Someone from another country?

oleada

I love her hair!

I agree with you; tights aside, I think her packaging is lovely. It hits the right note between not too old and not too young, which can be difficult for a skater fresh out of juniors (see Edmunds and Radionova). Her hair is lovely and the braided section is youthful and trendy while still being elegant.

AYS

🌻
I will agree re: the tights for Med, but I'm a old fogie with tights. I never like them over the boots in any way, even if completely covering. I just like to see the skates.

Perky Shae Lynn

The hoofs are tasteless, and the gloves are terrible. But Medvedeva still looked gorgeous. She is very pretty, and seems very sweet. Hard to dislike that face. The packaging is a bit Downton Abbey, sadly more a dowager then a debutante. But they are going for regal, pretty, etc. Evgenia was all of that, despite some strange sartorial choices.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The hoofs are tasteless, and the gloves are terrible. But Medvedeva still looked gorgeous. She is very pretty, and seems very sweet. Hard to dislike that face. The packaging is a bit Downton Abbey, sadly more a dowager then a debutante. But they are going for regal, pretty, etc. Evgenia was all of that, despite some strange sartorial choices.

She skated to the music of W.E. That's Wallis and Edward, so it made sense for her to dress in an old fashioned way.

I don't understand some posters' phobia for gloves. I see no problem with gloves. Skaters could cut their hands easily while grabbing the blade, and the gloves actually add to the costume. Elena's gloves were distracting because they were too shiny - I could see them from almost the other end of the rink- but I saw nothing wrong with Zhenya's

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Evgenia Tarasova is STUNNING.

But I like Ksenia best.

Tarasova always has such a pleasant smile. When fans were seeking autographs, she was very cooperating. Her heights and landings on throws were fantastic. I exclaimed Wow! When she landed one right in front of me. She has a lovely smile while skating too.

Ksenia has a different personality. She is beautiful in her own way.

Last edited:
C

casken

Can anyone be so kind to give me the gist of what Bobrova said in those interviews? :)

screech

Evgenia's hair, while maybe a bit 'old' for her, was very classic, and fits with the Wallis Simpson timeline. The only thing I'd change about her dress is the two straps in the back seemed a bit out of place with a back so high. Love the overall design and colour, though. I do agree about the tights.

As for the gloves, all the Russian ladies wear them. It's just that Elena and Anna wear flesh coloured coverings.

Marco

I wonder if Smirnov has lost a bet. No sane person would leave the house looking like that :scream:

Smirnov literally looks like Tarzan.

I am having a field day over the pairs results of the Russians. Stolbova and Klimov skipped an easy medal from last Worlds to focus on not medaling this Worlds. My favorite part though, is Tarasova/ Morosov beating Vol / Trankov.

Good that Kolyada did his job. If it was between him and Jin Boiyang, I'd rather Kolyada medals. If anyone ever cared for Maxim Kovtun's skating, he could totally be on #teamtrainwreck. :p

It makes my day to see the judges reward Pogorilaya over Radionova. Radionova really needs to polish up and tame her arms/ back.

papa_pl

Banned Member
I don't like Averbukhs ideas for her at all (other than the hands over ears part with the music) or the granny hair and costuming. She's very very talented.
I absolutely agree with you about Medvedeva! I don't like her programs or tasteless packaging at all!! She leaves me completely cold and I don't think the world record scores were merited
In my opinion, without Averbukh ideas Evgenia would have probably finished off the podium in Boston.
They would have given her nice technical program with nice lyrical music, she would have looked nice on ice and she would have received nice "debutant" scores for a nice 4-6th place.
Averbukh's programs made her stand out, accentuated her strenghts and hid her weaknesses: physically she looked juniorish, but she didn't perform juniorish, all those musical accents, gestures, choreo diversity in the program (especially long) were great idea for a young slim girl, who can't fully emanate femininity, the way other girls can (Ashley for instance). Yes, her skating is airy, gentle and adorable, but all of this would not have been enough for a rookie skater to win Worlds gold medal. It's the choreography that made her truly INTERESTING to watch.

I don't really like or even trust this guy personally, but he is a freaking genius. :notworthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information