Figure Skating’s Leading Man, Nathan Chen Has One Title .... : Little Brother

livetoskate

Great article. Nice to hear more about Nathan's impressive family and how they have supported him throughout his life. I can't wait to see his free skate!

Sylvia

TBD
I didn't want to start a new thread but this one's title is relevant...

Nathan's hometown paper published a feature article on him before Skate America that includes quotes from his 2 older sisters Alice & Janice, his mother Hetty, Stephanee Grosscup (his first coach in SLC) and Scott Hamilton: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/1...nd-his-next-stop-is-the-2018-winter-olympics/
Excerpts:
Stephanee Grosscup’s first lesson with Chen went like this: Every skate, every move, every twist or turn, Nathan nailed. He was so shy that he rarely talked when given instruction. He just hit every marker asked. Grosscup was the director of skating at the Sports Complex after the 2002 Games. And every time she wanted to talk to her new pupil about his skating, she had to get down on one knee to look the 3½-year-old in the eye.
“I could tell, without question, that he had the courage of a young warrior,” she said.
Chen just smiled, turned around and skated across the ice on one foot with ease.
“I remember distinctly at the moment, thinking, ‘Oh my goodness, I have a huge responsibility to this child,’” Grosscup said. “I still remember going home that night, and I thought, ‘I’m having a brush with greatness.’”
Alice Chen said the siblings emphasize normalcy when they’re with their youngest brother. There are times when he’ll consult Alice and Janice about routines and get their input on music choices, but mostly it’s managing the time, allowing Nathan to, frankly, be a teenager. That said, they’re nervous wrecks when Nathan is competing.
“We are just not eating, we are nauseous, I’m nursing my wine and we’re crying,” Alice said. “Nathan can never see this in person, because he’d be like, ‘What’s wrong with you guys?’ He manages to keep it under control, but the rest of us? We’re holding our breath.”

Last edited:

Lara111

Great article - just one practical question - how do you afford to have an ice skater in the family when you have four other kids?

livetoskate

Great article - just one practical question - how do you afford to have an ice skater in the family when you have four other kids?
Really nice, in-depth article about Nathan and how he got into skating. 3.5 years old when he started? That seems so early. I don't recall hearing of any other skater starting so young... maybe Daria Grinkova. As for how the family afforded it with 5 kids total, I have no idea. Hats off to Nathan's parents for somehow managing the finances well enough to keep him skating at such a high level. Maybe his being the youngest helped, since the older kids were old enough to get jobs or loans for college by the time his skating started costing serious money. Just guessing. Adam Rippon is one of 5 or 6 kids and not knowing what his parents did for a living, I am also amazed at how he was able to skate at a top level.

Japanfan

As for how the family afforded it with 5 kids total, I have no idea. Hats off to Nathan's parents for somehow managing the finances well enough to keep him skating at such a high level.

They would be wealthy, I would guess. Most skaters come from monied families, as it is such an expensive sport, unless there is a community of people that pitches in to support a skater financially. Even families who struggle to support a skater would have to relatively wealthy. For example, the Kwans had to remortgage their home to finance Michelle - but to do that, they had to own their home to begin with.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Really nice, in-depth article about Nathan and how he got into skating. 3.5 years old when he started? That seems so early. I don't recall hearing of any other skater starting so young...

Jason was three. There've been a few who've started at 3.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
They would be wealthy, I would guess. Most skaters come from monied families, as it is such an expensive sport, unless there is a community of people that pitches in to support a skater financially. Even families who struggle to support a skater would have to relatively wealthy. For example, the Kwans had to remortgage their home to finance Michelle - but to do that, they had to own their home to begin with.

The Kwans actually sold their house.

Skittl1321

Really nice, in-depth article about Nathan and how he got into skating. 3.5 years old when he started? That seems so early.

I think there is also a question of the age he was when he started skating seriously.
It isn't uncommon for kids in cold weather states to skate at age 3 or 4. Lessons are just a fun thing to do, often tagging along for snowplow Sam while older siblings do basic skills.

I wouldn't take this to mean Nathan was "training" at age 4.

Lara111

I disagree with the statement that most skaters come from the wealthy families. In my experience it is not true at all.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a New York Times article after Nathan won his 2nd U.S. Junior title in January 2014:
Chen, the youngest of five children, is a first-generation American, his parents immigrating from Beijing, so his father could attend college in Utah; he later worked as a research scientist there. As Chen’s skating progressed, he began to work with a local coach. Lessons were pared down at one point when his father lost his job.
When Chen resumed training, he became connected with Rafael Arutyunyan, who coaches the top skaters Adam Rippon and Ashley Wagner.
Hoping to improve his jumps, Chen began making occasional visits to California for practice sessions with Arutyunyan. Those visits turned into Chen and his mother moving from Salt Lake City to California [in 2012], where he could train full time, with his father and a sibling remaining in Salt Lake City.
ETA:

From this NBC Olympics Q&A:
I have a very close family. I have four older siblings: two brothers and two sisters. My father was going to university/ worked in Salt Lake City and my mom worked part-time as a medical interpreter while taking care of us kids. My mom spent most of her free time driving me around, spending time on the ice, and watching me skate. My family and parents were very influential in my skating career.

Last edited:

Skittl1321

I disagree with the statement that most skaters come from the wealthy families. In my experience it is not true at all.
Define "wealthy" (even more so "relatively wealthy" as the poster said). That definition is a massive problem in the US. I don't think anyone is saying skaters are Buffet/Gates level rich; but they often generally well-off. You can't even enroll your kid in learn to skate if you don't have some extra money. Certainly very few (no?) skaters are from impoverished families, at least before the skating bill.

A.H.Black

I think there is also a question of the age he was when he started skating seriously.
It isn't uncommon for kids in cold weather states to skate at age 3 or 4. Lessons are just a fun thing to do, often tagging along for snowplow Sam while older siblings do basic skills.

I wouldn't take this to mean Nathan was "training" at age 4.
He was certainly doing some kind of formal lessons early because I saw him skate as a very little boy in 2002 in a club show. He had great spirals. He doesn't remember, but his mother does.

Japanfan

Define "wealthy" (even more so "relatively wealthy" as the poster said). That definition is a massive problem in the US. I don't think anyone is saying skaters are Buffet/Gates level rich; but they often generally well-off. You can't even enroll your kid in learn to skate if you don't have some extra money. Certainly very few (no?) skaters are from impoverished families, at least before the skating bill.

I agree that well-off is probably a more accurate word than wealthy, especially if a skater is competing. The travel, the costumes, the ice time, the coaching, all add up. And if one parent isn't working due to having to drive the skater around all the time and support the skater (as often seems to be the case), the other parent would have to make enough for the family to live on.

Skaters' families/parents often attend their skater's competitions, all around the world. That's a luxury a lot of people could never afford.

Also, I remember looking at Megan Duhamel's wedding pictures from a fancy resort in Barbados or the Bahamas. And thinking that in planning her wedding, she would have assumed that her guests could afford the airfare to Barbados/Bahamas, the time off work, and the cost of staying at the resort. People who do that kind of thing have to have a social network that is at least well-off.

Some skaters do come from wealth though, I'm sure. I remember a fluff piece on Sasha Cohen that showed her family home, and that home was just :eek: IMO.

Last edited:

cheremary

A very good interview with Nathan from Elena Vaitsekhovskaya in Russian:
https://mrsport.ria.ru/interview/20171209/1129822500.html

Even with Google translate, I could understand quite a bit.
https://translate.googleusercontent...0.html&usg=ALkJrhhpGxt3W_klrtrrp9BLj_dWBqrIFw

He talks about feeling awkward winning Rostelecom knowing there were many people who went to see Hanyu win, his family's struggles with financing his skating and wanting to do well to show those who supported him that he was worthy of their support, his relationship with Rafael, and training the quads, etc.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thank you for posting the link, @marysy!

Excerpt:

[ETA corrected translation from Google] "You come from a not wealthy large family. Have you ever thought about the fact that figure skating can be too expensive for you?"

- Constantly. While it (I) was very small, we had to pay for everything: for the ice, for the services of the coach, for the equipment. Our family was so poor that even my first pair of skates I got quite a difficult way: I persuaded my father to go to the company that was engaged in the production of sports equipment for skaters, and ask at least some skates with shoes as a gift. To me as a result them have presented, and all subsequent pairs I received approximately under the same scheme.

This is not a very pleasant feeling when you are begging something from strangers, like alms, but there was simply no other way out. I bought skates for a long time in the store simply because I could not afford it.

As for other expenses, there are many charitable foundations in America, organized on the principle of the Michael Weiss fund. Thanks to their help, I had a chance to pay for training, when I started training with Arutyunyan, Raf also helped me a lot. Including money. For this support, I am very grateful - to him and to all those people who did not remain indifferent to the fact that one little boy really wants to skate. If these people did not meet on my way, now I certainly would not be sitting in front of you with a medal around your neck.

From a September 2014 interview with Weiss: http://www.dissonskating.com/2014/09/five-questions-with-michael-weiss/
When I started the foundation, it was my way of “paying it forward” and helping another young skater who struggled with finances to make their Olympic dream a reality. And now to have awarded over $550,000 in scholarships because of our supporters is amazing. I have numerous memories – seeing Mirai Nagasu rise from a Novice lady to National Champion and Olympian is one. Watching Nathan Chen go from a 5 year old who needs a new pair of skates to a 2-time Novice and 2-time Junior National Champion makes me feel, in a small way, like I’ve helped make a difference in a skaters’ lives, the way others did to help inspire me as a young skater.
ETA:

For those who were wondering about the status of the MWF, the link to michaelweiss.org no longer works so I assume his foundation is no longer active. :( KUDOS for so many years of providing financial support to so many young skaters in need! :respec: :encore:

Last edited:

Firedancer

A very good interview with Nathan from Elena Vaitsekhovskaya in Russian:
https://mrsport.ria.ru/interview/20171209/1129822500.html

Even with Google translate, I could understand quite a bit.
https://translate.googleusercontent...0.html&usg=ALkJrhhpGxt3W_klrtrrp9BLj_dWBqrIFw

This was a really great interview! He seems to have settled on five quads for the Olympics and thankfully is taking a reasonable approach recognizing the stress of the Olympics and that he does not have to do five different quads. I also appreciated that he said more than once that he plans to continue past this Olympics. And I loved his honesty in this excerpt:

I readily believe, but you can not fail to understand that you are able to fight in Pyeongchang for victory.

- It's capable. This season I started to feel it very well. Do you want to hear a very honest answer? Yes, I want to win a gold medal. I want to stand on the Olympic pedestal on the top step. From the childhood I want. And I do everything I do on the ice in order to realize this goal. If it works out, I think this will be the biggest achievement of my life.

Sad that the Michael Weiss Foundation is no longer active! They were obviously very helpful to Nathan and other skaters.

Sylvia

TBD
Sad that the Michael Weiss Foundation is no longer active! They were obviously very helpful to Nathan and other skaters.
Currently competing skaters who have benefited from the Michael Weiss Foundation's support over the years (in addition to Nathan) include:
Adam Rippon, Grant Hochstein, Mirai Nagasu, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Keegan Messing, Zach Donohue, Piper Gilles, Emmanuel Savary, Jessica Pfund (when she was a young singles skater).

IIRC, Weiss was especially supportive of young, up and coming U.S. men -- Josh Farris, Richard Dornbush and Armin Mahbanoozadeh, for example.

Last edited:

Jammers

Nathan needs a good competition to get his confidence back for the Olympics. He can win Nationals with a two quad SP and 3 in the LP but i hate seeing him trying to do so many quads and being so sloppy like he has been at SA and the GPF.

aftershocks

Banned Member
A very cute young Nathan in a Lion King costume made by his mother, as older Nathan looks back fondly on that exhibition performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQU2i7SvLw Nathan Chen's Advice to His Younger Self
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzodLgB-oMA 23 Questions with Nathan Chen

ETA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcgPdCyR3hQ Nathan Chen – Comments by fellow skaters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRHimaaLOYg 2010 U.S. Gala exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3gUwEYhQKQ 2011 Gala exhibiton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgvg-xmGaE 2012 Gala exhibition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVKoCPmxNA Jr. Worlds 2014 fp (Skating to Chattanooga Choo-Choo; shades of Jeremy Abbott's Sing, Sing, Sing sp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf1l-ebzZ88 gorgeous fp at 2015 Jr. Worlds - version with no commentary (4th place finish due to problems in the sp; he was also dealing with a foot injury sustained prior to 2015 U.S. Nats)

Full final group at 2015 Jr. Worlds; Nathan skates first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKb3RVPVSw
Comments by CBC hosts on Nathan's performance are priceless; including praise from Kurt Browning et al (not sure whether the ladies are Carol Lane? Tracy Wilson? Debbi Wilkes?)
Excerpts from CBC commentators' praise for Nathan at 2015 Jr. Worlds:
"... he's got beautiful feet; he drew us into his performance; his secret weapon is how fast he can rotate; he's a little bit like watching a very young person play the piano with soul -- this guy is bringing out the poet in me; he's his own person – he doesn't remind us of any other skater; he's got the ability to make very tiny things memorable, and to do them with enough gravitas to make them stand out, and he's how old, 15, that's mind-blowing..."
Nathan only finished 4th at 2015 Jr. Worlds because he didn't skate well in the sp; he went on to win 2015 GPF. I can't imagine how anyone can view this fp by Nathan at the age of 15, and not realize how unique he is, and how musically expressive he's always been...

Nathan was clearly on a pace to win Jr. Worlds in 2016, as well as to attend 2016 Sr. Worlds, but the hip injury he sustained at Natls exhibition scotched those opportunities, but also perhaps led to Nathan perfecting his quad arsenal for 2016 - 2017 season. The ups-and-downs Nathan experienced in some of his novice & junior career events was largely due to injury-related issues. He otherwise has a stellar, mostly winning record.

I would venture to say that the main reason Nathan scaled back a bit artistically in terms of nuanced performances with creative depth for 2016-2017 season, is because he was strategically concentrating on mastering quads. That did not mean he paid no attention to artistry however. Clearly, Nathan sought out choreo assistance from Marina Zoueva in order to work on aspects of his artistic development.

The issue is that incorporating multiple quads takes some energy and focus away from the creative side of programs, by necessity. This is the impact that the sport's PTB have never paid the slightest attention to from the very beginning of quads being landed in competitive programs. IMO, that makes what Nathan has achieved in upping the quad ante, even more incredible and groundbreaking. Nathan has definitely worked on trying to take things up a notch creatively this season, while carefully managing how to slowly add in multiple quads as the season moves forward.

Last edited:

Lara111

^^^ Thank you for posting the link, @marysy!

Excerpt:

[ETA corrected translation from Google] "You come from a not wealthy large family. Have you ever thought about the fact that figure skating can be too expensive for you?"

- Constantly. While it (I) was very small, we had to pay for everything: for the ice, for the services of the coach, for the equipment. Our family was so poor that even my first pair of skates I got quite a difficult way: I persuaded my father to go to the company that was engaged in the production of sports equipment for skaters, and ask at least some skates with shoes as a gift. To me as a result them have presented, and all subsequent pairs I received approximately under the same scheme.

This is not a very pleasant feeling when you are begging something from strangers, like alms, but there was simply no other way out. I bought skates for a long time in the store simply because I could not afford it.

As for other expenses, there are many charitable foundations in America, organized on the principle of the Michael Weiss fund. Thanks to their help, I had a chance to pay for training, when I started training with Arutyunyan, Raf also helped me a lot. Including money. For this support, I am very grateful - to him and to all those people who did not remain indifferent to the fact that one little boy really wants to skate. If these people did not meet on my way, now I certainly would not be sitting in front of you with a medal around your neck.

From a September 2014 interview with Weiss: http://www.dissonskating.com/2014/09/five-questions-with-michael-weiss/

ETA:

For those who were wondering about the status of the MWF, the link to michaelweiss.org no longer works so I assume his foundation is no longer active. :( KUDOS for so many years of providing financial support to so many young skaters in need! :respec: :encore:

concorde

Currently competing skaters who have benefited from the Michael Weiss Foundation's support over the years (in addition to Nathan) include:
Adam Rippon, Grant Hochstein, Mirai Nagasu, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Keegan Messing, Zach Donohue, Piper Gilles, Emmanuel Savary, Jessica Pfund (when she was a young singles skater).

IIRC, Weiss was especially supportive of young, up and coming U.S. men -- Josh Farris, Richard Dornbush and Armin Mahbanoozadeh, for example.

Just wanted to say that Michael Weiss just got inducted into the USFS Hall of Fame.

Sylvia

TBD
Just wanted to say that Michael Weiss just got inducted into the USFS Hall of Fame.
Link to the news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-u-s-figure-skating-hall-of-fame-2018.102483/
A very cute young Nathan in a Lion King costume made by his mother, as older Nathan looks back fondly on that exhibition performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQU2i7SvLw Nathan Chen's Advice to His Younger Self
Also, USFS uploaded his "Lion King" exhibition video (full screen) on Dec. 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LNVumcxXdc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information