Evgenia Medvedeva out of 2018 Worlds

Ka3sha

Now we will have to suffer a broken lines with helicopter arm Anna Karenina at WC.
You will have to suffer and I will enjoy her skate there :p

Not every skater is and should be like Evgenia. Stanislava has her strengths (she has musicality, good skating skills, presence on the ice). Yes, she has some problems (and I hate her tanos) but who doesn’t?

She placed fourth at Nationals, was the first alternative, so it’s quite obvious that the Fed has chosen her.. And am glad that the Fed gave her that chance after they forced her to stay in juniors for one more year for some unknown reason :drama:

Meoima

You will have to suffer and I will enjoy her skate there :p

Not every skater is and should be like Evgenia. Stanislava has her strengths (she has musicality, good skating skills, presence on the ice). Yes, she has some problems (and I hate her tanos) but who doesn’t?

She placed fourth at Nationals, was the first alternative, so it’s quite obvious that the Fed has chosen her.. And am glad that the Fed gave her that chance after they forced her to stay in juniors for one more year for some unknown reason :drama:
Yes she couldn’t even medal at a field full of much younger girls than her and hasn’t break 200 Internationally. But of course Russian fed gave her both JWC and WC even though their pool of talent is crazily deep.
I feel bad for Gubanova. She did well at Junior Nats and was robbed. And I am not even a big fan of her.

lala

Yes she couldn’t even medal at a field full of much younger girls than her and hasn’t break 200 Internationally. But of course Russian fed gave her both JWC and WC even though their pool of talent is crazily deep.
I feel bad for Gubanova. She did well at Junior Nats and was robbed. And I am not even a big fan of her.
I believe Nastya is a little bit overweight right now

Lchan

I'm sorry not to get Medvedeva at Worlds as I was hoping to see her keep her title. It's been a dreadfully timed injury for her; fingers crossed for next season.

Still, on the bright side, it's great to see another Russian woman make it out of the Hunger Games to compete internationally this season. It also improves the podium chances of some of my other favourites. (Whispering "Satoko" so quietly that the skate gods can't hear.... :shuffle:) So it's an ill wind and all that.

Tinami Amori

I hope she heals. Honestly? half of my dream came through ..... the second half is: Med announces she is planning to go to a good University. If this happens, i will official confirm that Med is my perfect role model for female figure skaters: Skate until you're 18 (college age), win/medal at everything in site, and then become adult, get in to the best university possible, and have a good serious profession. Med's family is well educated, mother, father, grandmother (very well educated, all high-level professionals), i was hopping they had a family plan for Evegeniya after she turns 18.

Med's father recently gave an interview about Evgeniya and his hopes for her. He and Zhanna (med's mother) are still friends, he is involved and helps his daughter, and he wants her to have education as well.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry to hear this. May be this will turn out to be a good decision in the long run. Wish her a full recovery.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm sad to hear this. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Medvedeva compete again. I think losing to Zagitova has lit an inferno inside of her and she's going to be gunning for that top spot again. I guess we'll have to wait until next season.

Kostantinova is...interesting. There are elements about her skating that I like (personality, energy) but her skating isn't terribly appealing. I hate the floppy arm she's added to her jumps too. It causes her to break at the waist when she lands a la Radionova and leaves a bad overall impression on her jumps. I'd have preferred to see Tsurskaya or Gubanova or someone else compete but Konstantinova is 1st alternate. She had a pretty shoddy performance at junior worlds so maybe she'll bounce back with better performances here...or she may be tired/jet-lagged and perform worse...I guess we'll see.

Good news is there are now two spots available on the podium instead of one. With Evgenia and Alina in the competition there's only a battle for 3rd among the other skaters. Assuming Alina wins (and I'll eat my own foot if she doesn't), 2nd and 3rd are open for Kaetlyn, Satoko, Carolina, Maria or whoever else can step up.

Add Konstantinova to the list of medal contenders. Personally i don't care for her skating, but wish her luck at worlds.

RoseRed

Add Konstantinova to the list of medal contenders. Personally i don't care for her skating, but wish her luck at worlds.
Not likely. Her PB is 199.68 and that's from a senior comp, not a junior one. And it was Golden Spin, which tends to have inflated scores anyways. She had 190.75 at CS Tallinn, which also tends to have high scores. And 174.43 at CS Warsaw.
And she basically never skates clean.

Assuming Alina wins, that leaves two spots on the podium. There's Kaetlyn (231 at the games), Satoko (222) and Carolina (212) who's at home in Italy. There's also Wakaba, who hasn't scored below 200 all season, and Maria, who got 198 with a super rough SP at the Olympics. I'd expect all five of those girls to beat Stasya. And then there are other girls like Gabby, Bradie and Dabin who could too.

I like Stasya, but she'd need to be clean and have several girls make mistakes to get her on the podium.

Dr.Siouxs

I hope she heals. Honestly? half of my dream came through ..... the second half is: Med announces she is planning to go to a good University. If this happens, i will official confirm that Med is my perfect role model for female figure skaters: Skate until you're 18 (college age), win/medal at everything in site, and then become adult, get in to the best university possible, and have a good serious profession

Retiring at 18 is a perfect role model? :scream: We would have missed the best of Kwan, Slutskaya, Cohen, Rochette, Osmond, Kostner, Arakawa etc etc EDIT: Well okay, none of them won every medal in the book :p

Last edited:

Taso

Sorry that Medvedeva is out again :( Good luck to Stasya - my gut says she'll probably place about the same as she did the other week!

Tinami Amori

Retiring at 18 is a perfect role model? :scream: We would have missed the best of Kwan, Slutskaya, Cohen, Rochette, Osmond, Kostner, Arakawa etc etc EDIT: Well okay, none of them won every medal in the book :p
Yes, perfect role model. Because at 18/19 normal people go to University, get education, use their minds, not their muscles. Evgeniya comes from a good family, well educated professional parents, and she needs to go to a good University too. Intellect is more important than sports. She already won all the medals by the time she turned 18.

mag

I will miss her at Worlds, but she's being very smart

She is. Nagging injuries need to be dealt with and this is the time to do that. I hope they are looking at her boots. I know a few kids who had nagging foot injuries when they were in Ice Flys. They all loved the boots, but they just didn’t have the support the Skaters needed. It sounds like from the interview posted in another thread that her team are very careful with injures so that is reassuring.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I am sad that Zhenya has withdrawn but in a way I am also relieved. She has only recently healed from a broken foot. Now I hope she can fully recover and come back even stronger when she is ready!

million$momma

She is. Nagging injuries need to be dealt with and this is the time to do that. I hope they are looking at her boots. I know a few kids who had nagging foot injuries when they were in Ice Flys. They all loved the boots, but they just didn’t have the support the Skaters needed. It sounds like from the interview posted in another thread that her team are very careful with injures so that is reassuring.

She doesn't wear an Ice Fly. She wears the more supportive Piano.

Taso

I don't mind Konstantinova aside from the extremely fug arm over head that makes Sots look like Mariinsky port de bras (drink!) and her pitched forward landing position

Eys. Aside from that she has great speed, musicality, phrasing, she's fully present. At least those double axel landings were better at junior worlds than earlier in the season.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Eys. Aside from that she has great speed, musicality, phrasing, she's fully present. At least those double axel landings were better at junior worlds than earlier in the season.
Well, the arm over the head is going away next season. Not so sure about jump tech. But she does have good qualities. I am curious how she does in Milano.

ETA: in the TSL recap of Jr. Worlds they compare her to Leonova but I don't get that at all. :confused:

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm being cynical here, but the competitive lifespan of a top Russian lady seems pretty short. Having to compete at optimum level each and every time, must take its toll.

Seriously though, I do wish Evgenia a speedy recovery in time for next season.

skatepixie

I hope she heals. Honestly? half of my dream came through ..... the second half is: Med announces she is planning to go to a good University. If this happens, i will official confirm that Med is my perfect role model for female figure skaters: Skate until you're 18 (college age), win/medal at everything in site, and then become adult, get in to the best university possible, and have a good serious profession. Med's family is well educated, mother, father, grandmother (very well educated, all high-level professionals), i was hopping they had a family plan for Evegeniya after she turns 18.

Med's father recently gave an interview about Evgeniya and his hopes for her. He and Zhanna (med's mother) are still friends, he is involved and helps his daughter, and he wants her to have education as well.

Eh, she doesn't sound done yet from interviews, and I'm glad she's not. I'd hate that horrible tie-breaker Hell to be her last competition...

Screw college -- she can do that any old time, if she even wants to.

skatepixie

Yes, perfect role model. Because at 18/19 normal people go to University, get education, use their minds, not their muscles. Evgeniya comes from a good family, well educated professional parents, and she needs to go to a good University too. Intellect is more important than sports. She already won all the medals by the time she turned 18.

With her artistic abilities, she uses a lot more than her muscles. I generally respect you and can at least see where you're coming from, but on this one, no way...

Who cares what "normal" people do at a particular age? The university scene would seem downright dull after all she's done in her life, and with all she is still capable of. Heck, it's dull and overrated anyway, or at least was for me.

Evgenia is in a unique circumstance where she is able to make money and have incredible opportunities far outside the norm -- and I hope she enjoys every bit of it.

Tinami Amori

With her artistic abilities, she uses a lot more than her muscles. I generally respect you and can at least see where you're coming from, but on this one, no way...

Who cares what "normal" people do at a particular age? The university scene would seem downright dull after all she's done in her life, and with all she is still capable of. Heck, it's dull and overrated anyway, or at least was for me.

Evgenia is in a unique circumstance where she is able to make money and have incredible opportunities far outside the norm -- and I hope she enjoys every bit of it.
You have your view of proper future, i have mine. Pls note, i said "i wish", not "i command"... :D

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

A "proper" future is the one where Medvedeva is doing what makes her happy and what she enjoys.

Which is most likely skating, and she stands to make a pretty good living at it.

skatepixie

You have your view of proper future, i have mine. Pls note, i said "i wish", not "i command"... :D

Oh, I understand...

But I do think it's a bit silly to hold athletes up as role models when it comes to choices like college. When it comes to sportsmanship and professionalism, and all those things ("don't spit on the ice, you're a role model"), well fine -- but when it comes to deciding what to do with your life, I don't think we should encourage *ordinary* young people to copy *extraordinary* young people. Nor should the fact that kids look up to her have any impact on her competitive or educational plans. The two aren't comparable.

I don't think there's any one idea of a "proper future" for Zhenya -- except for the one she has for herself. And she's fortunate enough that she doesn't have the usual practical concerns about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information