Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

PeterG

Daughter's Facebook Brag Costs Her Family $80,000

Call it the biggest Facebook mistake ever. A daughter’s snarky status update has cost her father the $80,000 settlement he won in an age-discrimination lawsuit.

The daughters facebook post? “Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT.”

But not since the confidentiality agreement has been broken, the ruling was overturned and it's unlikely the Snay family will be seeing any of the money they won. I love the very last line of the article:

Oh, and that European vacation? Probably not happening now.

:lol:

Reactions: Rex

MsZem

I see the sea
I've seen that story, and while they should have been careful in what they told their daughter, I'm at a loss how they could have avoided telling her anything about it.

The status update was idiotic, but considering her age, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't have much sympathy for the lost vacation, but if there really was age discrimination against her father, then having the school get out of paying for it isn't something to applaud, either.

PeterG

Lately my newsfeed has changed (grown!!!!) as now I'm being notified by every "like" every friend is making. It takes SO long to go through my feed now. How do I not get all these "likes" from everyone on my page? :mad:

The Accordion

Lately my newsfeed has changed (grown!!!!) as now I'm being notified by every "like" every friend is making. It takes SO long to go through my feed now. How do I not get all these "likes" from everyone on my page? :mad:
How am I not your friend on FB ?

Artemis@BC

You can turn it off, but it's not easy. One way to do it is for each friend individually -- click on the friend in question, and on the person's page there's button that says "Friends" (next to their avatar & name). Uncheck "Get Notifications." You'll stop seeing their likes, but you'll still get their posts.

The other way is if you have friends tagged as "Close Friends" -- go to your settings, then "Notifications," then "Close friend activity," and change to off.

Moto Guzzi

Candy Crush Saga no longer loads on my Facebook. I can get it on my Kindle but not on Facebook. It's been like that for several days. I looked in a help forum and other people are having the same problem but nobody has a solution. Stupid game; I waste far too much time on it but I'm ahead of all my cousins who play.

Lacey

I am ignorant about Facebook, kind of fell into it in haste, so this might be a dumb question. I posted originally under my first and married name, now I want to change my name to include my maiden name. Does anyone know how to change one's name?

Moto Guzzi

^^

On right-hand side of your Facebook screen, click on the arrow at the top and then click on settings, name, edit.

maureenfarone

I don't play any games on FB....no time cause I'm too busy with figure skating videos, interviews, blogs, etc. How do I turn off the notifications of what scores/levels my friends have achieved?

Is there any way to turn off invites to play games? Thanks for any help. I find all the game stuff most annoying!

Artemis@BC

I don't play any games on FB....no time cause I'm too busy with figure skating videos, interviews, blogs, etc. How do I turn off the notifications of what scores/levels my friends have achieved?

Is there any way to turn off invites to play games? Thanks for any help. I find all the game stuff most annoying!

You can block app invites in your settings, under Blocking. I'm not sure if that also turns off seeing their scores, but if you turn off notifications that will (see my post further up this page in response to PeterG about notifications).

I agree that game requests are incredibly annoying -- but unless you tell people you don't want to play you can't expect them to read your mind, so I give folks a 2 strikes and you're out. Of course you can always try posting this on your wall and see who pays attention. :D

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I block any game I get a request from. I give people a pass because some games trick you into sending out requests when you don't realize that's what the game is doing. But some of my FB friends are somewhat notorious for sending me requests and those I set up so I don't see anything from them as they also tend to be the people who post drivel anyway.

PeterG

With game requests you now have the option to not only block all future requests in regards to that specific game, but to block all future requests from that person. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but it's fairly simple when you open up that request section in the column at the left side of your page. I think it's the section called Invites?? I've pretty much blocked every game and every person who has sent be a game request, so I luckily don't have to deal with that much anymore.

Of course you can always try posting this on your wall and see who pays attention. :D

I love this one! :lol:

Moto Guzzi

I play two games with my cousins but never send out invites to others. I've blocked most game apps but will sometimes receive an invite from somebody. I ignore the requests but don't block the friend. If somebody posts a score on my wall to let me know they beat my score, I just delete it. It doesn't happen often so it doesn't annoy me when it does.

PeterG

Something that has been happening with my facebook page is that when I move from my home page to someone else's page, or a group page, the blue section along the top of the screen covers about 1/4 of my entire computer screen. If I scroll down, it remains. So every time I look at a new page I have to move to the very top of the page before I can scroll down. Not sure if I'm explaining this well, but it's irritating to always have to move in the opposite direction I want to go first and then backtrack in the direction I wanted to go in the first place... :soapbox:

AnnieBgood

I wish there was a search within your own profile option, because sometimes you can't find that video from Christmas 2010 by just scrolling and scrolling through the decade of choice.

Anita18

It depends!
I wish there was a search within your own profile option, because sometimes you can't find that video from Christmas 2010 by just scrolling and scrolling through the decade of choice.
Me too! I wish I had that from Twitter as well.

PeterG

Anyone else having issues with their Facebook newsfeed? A couple of weeks ago it started showing me every single like by every single one of my friends. Takes forever to scroll through it all. That got fixed within a day, but now it's back.
And an additional annoyance is that I'm also now seeing every post from the handful of groups I belong to. I have my settings set on notifications for friends only for a couple of them, and for no notifications at all for another, but my news feed has suddenly been flooded with every single post. And you can't unfollow a group like you can an individual or I'd do that. I don't want to quit the groups in question but if this doesn't get fixed soon I may have to resort to that ...

When you see a post from a group where you don't want to receive every posting from, move your cursor to the upper right area of that post and a grey down arrow will appear. In that pull-down menu, click on "Unfollow (group name)". Now you won't receive anything from that group in your newsfeed. To see what is happening in that group, click on the group if it's listed in the column at the left of your screen under groups and if the group is not listed, click on the heading "Groups" and you will see "More" appear to the right. Click on "More" and you will see all your groups and just click on the group in question...and read away! :)

Artemis@BC

Thanks for finding the old thread for me, Peter.

And thanks for finding the "unfollow" command -- no sure why you can't do that from the group page. It's still a less than ideal solution though. I used to be able to select notifications from the groups when one of my friends posts in that group, but not anyone else -- I still have that setting selected but am seeing everyone's posts. Now if I want to see when a friend posts to that group, I have to go to the friend's wall, or the group's.

Oh and none of that explains why I'm getting everyone's likes, or why "most recent" reverts to "top stories" every couple of day.

Why they insist on mucking around with these things without giving us the option ...

BigB08822

I have been getting everyone's likes for a long time. It also tells me every time someone has commented on something. I don't know why those things need to be at the top of my feed, I preferred when the only things on my feed were new posts by people, if I want to follow a post then I will like it or comment on it to receive updates.

I also don't like this because sometimes I like things that are kind of naughty, like a dirty joke or funny picture or what not. That shows up on my grandparents feed!! I don't want them knowing that I liked someone's dirty joke. lol

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Oh and none of that explains why I'm getting everyone's likes, or why "most recent" reverts to "top stories" every couple of day.
Most Recent has always reverted to Top Stories. It's not considered a preference but a temporary setting. (Even though that's stupid.) I use SocialFixer to keep it on Most Recent. SF will revert it back for you when FB resets it.

I have been getting everyone's likes for a long time. It also tells me every time someone has commented on something.
I used to get that but at some point I was able to get it to stop. I don't remember how but apparently there is a setting somewhere and I set it.

paskatefan

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I miss being able to share my FB photo albums with relatives & friends who are not on FB for whatever reason. There used to be a public link that enabled me to share the albums with them.

Artemis@BC

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I miss being able to share my FB photo albums with relatives & friends who are not on FB for whatever reason. There used to be a public link that enabled me to share the albums with them.

You can do that -- you just have to make the album public. Go to the album in question, select "Edit," then under Privacy select "Public." Hit Done. Now copy the URL of the album, and share that with whomever you want.

Cupid

Just curious about this. A friend told me that she can see who visited her FB. I say you can't, but she said she noticed I looked at her FB page at 3 in the morning. I think I remember checking on FB around that time, but not necessarily her FB page. I know you can see when the person last logged onto FB by looking at your messenger and if they are your friend, it will say what time they last were on FB.

Is this what she is talking about? The messenger showing what time your friend was last on FB? Or is there really a way to see who visited your profile?

Artemis@BC

Is this what she is talking about? The messenger showing what time your friend was last on FB?

As far as I know, yes. Plus of course if you have "normal" friend settings, you being on FB = you seeing whatever of her posts land on your news feed.

The only way she'd be able to tell exactly when you'd been on her page specifically is if you liked or commented on something there.

(However I'm currently reading The Circle and that's making me a little more paranoid about the spread of personal info via social media ...)

Rex

I wish my cousin would stop posting every meal she eats on Facebook. "Tuna today" or "I'm being wild and eating French Fries" or "Just having chicken and string beans tonight". And she takes pictures of what looks like cafeteria food. If it were a spectacular meal or at least a labor-intensive one, I could see posting it, but why post pics of your hash for people to see on Facebook?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Plus of course if you have "normal" friend settings, you being on FB = you seeing whatever of her posts land on your news feed.
Which could be absolutely nothing, if FB decides you aren't interested in it. Or it could be there but you don't scroll down that far.

When you send someone a message, FB will tag it with the time the receiver read it. But it doesn't do that to stuff you see in your news feed.

P.S. HI REX!!!!!!

PeterG

I wish my cousin would stop posting every meal she eats on Facebook. "Tuna today" or "I'm being wild and eating French Fries" or "Just having chicken and string beans tonight". And she takes pictures of what looks like cafeteria food. If it were a spectacular meal or at least a labor-intensive one, I could see posting it, but why post pics of your hash for people to see on Facebook?

Unfollow.

:)

Reactions: Rex

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information