Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I keep hearing that kids are moving away from Facebook but all the kids I know use it. They aren't on it 24/7 because they also use all the other social media sites (well, not MySpace :lol:) and there are only so many hours in the day. But they are on it.

PDilemma

Kids are moving away from Facebook because their parents are on it. They use Snapchat, Instagram, Kik, Twitter...when the adults move in there, the kids will move on.

What I'm personally seeing is that the college age "kids" barely use it. High school kids are using it minimally as well. However, the younger ones are on it constantly. I am friends with several young cousins who are middle school age and they live on FB and it is clear that their friends do as well. It will be interesting to see if that cohort moves away from it as they get older as well.

Really

I need a new title
What I'm personally seeing is that the college age "kids" barely use it. High school kids are using it minimally as well. However, the younger ones are on it constantly. I am friends with several young cousins who are middle school age and they live on FB and it is clear that their friends do as well. It will be interesting to see if that cohort moves away from it as they get older as well.
It's our middle- and high school kids in our school who have moved away from FB. We had a speaker in recently talking to them about cyberbullying. When he did a quick survey, a little more than half had FB accounts, but well fewer than half actually use their accounts. Most use Snapchat, Instagram and Kik. Their favourite is Snapchat because they think there is no trail left behind. They have been warned that by the time they get a notifcation that someone has screenshot a message of theirs, it's too late to take it back. They've also been warned that there is always someone out there trying to make an add-on that will let others screenshot messages in Snapchat that *won't* trigger a notification. They're very naive and trusting. Many of their parents are just naive.

Vagabond

I defer to PDilemma and Really on this, but suspect that "kids" use Facebook primarily to communicate with grandparents and other relatives and with groups or institutions that have Facebook accounts and haven't moved with the times.

As for the post-collegiate crowd, many are on board with this: Farewell Facebook

And as for me, I'm beta-testing a new technology with real-time peer-to-peer interface. :X3:

It's called "personal visits." :p

manhn

I have to say, opening a Facebook account has probably been the best thing I did all year so far. Yes, I am that pathetic.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Am I the only one who is seeing heaps of posts saying things about people suffering depression, cancer, being "true" friends, etc etc saying that you should copy and paste posts to support causes, etc. Because even though they understand if you don't, they kind of insinuate you don't give a rats if you don't.

I almost feel like posting one saying "I stubbed my toe today. I would really appreciate if you could copy and paste this out of concern for all people who have stubbed their toes in the last week. I understand if you don't but I hope if you don't that you feel incredibly guilty for not doing it" or something to that effect.

Just another thing I am probably going to hide from my page in future.

Last edited:

PDilemma

Am I the only one who is seeing heaps of posts saying things about people suffering depression, cancer, being "true" friends, etc etc saying that you should copy and paste posts to support causes, etc. Because even though they understand if you don't, they kind of insinuate you don't give a rats if you don't.

I almost feel like posting one saying "I stubbed my toe today. I would really appreciate if you could copy and paste this out of concern for all people who have stubbed their toes in the last week. I understand if you don't but I hope if you don't that you feel incredibly guilty for not doing it" or something to that effect.

Among other annoying FB behaviors, my aunt posts about 20 such memes a day.

She also does not understand how it all works. She seems to think that if something is on FB, everyone in the world automatically sees it. She is frequently upset with my mother not seeing her posts and my mother has to explain to her again and again that she does not see them because she does not have an account. Aunt's answer is always "but if it is on Facebook, everyone can see it".

PeterG

There's a parody on these kinds of posts, I thought maybe I posted it on facebook, but I can't find it. Couldn't find much through googling either... :( This was the closest I could find:

If I Click Like...People Will Know I Hate Cancer

And here's another one, but it's worded strangely: http://i.imgur.com/61Q5W70.jpg

PeterG

My apologies if I asked this already, but is there a way to find out if anyone has unfriended you? And if so, can you find out the date that they unfriended you? I'm wondering if I posted something that bothered somebody and that got me unfriended. I only post on facebook once or twice a month, so there's not a lot I put out there to be offended by. But sometimes I post political or social change kind of stuff... :shuffle:

Artemis@BC

There's an app for that.

But within the regular FB interface, as far as I know the only way to find out if someone has unfriended you is to check your friends list -- if they're not there any more, they unfriended you.

If they're still on your friends list but you're not getting any contact with them, they might have blocked you. You can find that out by following these steps.

But no, there's no way to find out when. Or why. Other than, you know, asking him/her ...

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I thought if you blocked someone they disappeared from your friend's list? Like, just automatically? (there is only I think two people I have blocked on Facebook, and I believe I unfriended first, so not sure)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, if you block someone, the confirmation message you get says they will be removed from your friends list. Are you sure you want to do that? But you can "unfollow" which is how you can keep someone on your friends list but not see most of the crap they post (you can still see if they comment on a mutual friends stuff so they aren't gone 100%).

PeterG

My sister unfriended me, I was curious whether I posted something that gave her reason to do so (nobody else unfriended me or questioned any of my posts). Her behaviour is erratic/questionnable at times, so who knows what's up. We still e-mail civilly to each other. I was just curious if I could snoop into facebook and see if there's subjects that are best not to get into with her! Asking her directly why she unfriended me could cause a flare-up and the relationship is currently not problematic, so direct communication on this matter could harm that. Anyway, I don't "app" so it looks like I'll stay in the dark. :)

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
My brother and I have decided it's much better for our relationship if we are not friends on FB.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have not visited this thread in a very long time, so my apologies if this has been discussed already.

I have unfriended some people, for a good reason, and did not accept friend requests from some. However, one of these people responded to my post on a friend's comment. Is there a way to block this person from any communication with me (like doing a reply to my comment)?

Another thing is when I commented on a friend's thread, someone used foul language about me. I want to block this person. Since this was not done on MY facebook page, I don't know if this can be done. I don't want these rude people replying to my posts or mentioning me in comments that are on some of my friends' pages.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
So I went to someone's page to see if I could, and yes! You can block someone you are not friends with. (Click on the three dots)

You can apparently also send them money. If you are so inclined. Who knew? Not me.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I had to block someone who was friends of a friend. She posted the most hateful bizarro-world stuff about politics.

rjblue

Having a great day!
You can block someone and you might not see their post, but if you comment on a friends post on their wall, or someone else's, the security settings are theirs not yours, and the blocked person can see your posts, and reply to them.

You won't see it though, if that is enough.

To reiterate- there is no way to block someone if the Facebook page is not yours. All you will be doing is preventing yourself from seeing and knowing about it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Go to the offensive persons page. Find the 3 dots. Chose "Block".
That person cannot see your posts and they cannot see yours.

Thank you. I was able to Block two offensive persons last night. Neither was my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information