Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

VGThuy

But to be fair, the people following TSL and/or mad anyways because of the Vanessa association (because that's plenty of them) are not doing anything they wouldn't have done had Meagan stayed completely silent. It's Twitter, it's skating fans that have an opinion on everything and especially on men they hate and/or the women attached to them. Vanessa didn't have a chance from the beginning, and people are pulling stuff from Eric's past (nothing to do with Meagan) to go rip apart, too.
I added that part about Vanessa to my post before you responded. To me, Meagan certainly hasn’t helped things. The way she was communicating with them yesterday with talks of giving a tell all and happily interacting with some of the most vocal Radford critics and who have said some nearly violent things about him and James gave me the impression that she was enjoying her new found positive reception online. I hope a part of her realizes some of those jumping on her bandwagon are only doing so to continue their Vanessa hate and she’s just a means to an end.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
"I wanted to dump you as a professional partner for the last two years, and for the last couple of months, James and I have been training in secret with your sister-in-law and presenting this as 'just having a little fun'" are the types of details he thought weren't important? If so, he has the emotional intelligence of a brick.
All he had to say was that they had been working together for a while "for fun" but it turned into something serious and they want to compete and want her SIL to coach them.

I think him being blindsided by her reaction because he wasn't looking at this from her perspective makes a lot more sense than that he deliberately lied to her in order to make her flip out so she'd look bad on social media.

anonymoose_au

First of all, I suspect like others have already said she was advised by legal counsel to stay silent on the matter.
That may be true, but there's no legal reason for her to continue to follow and interact with him on social media.
Also, she has every right to remain friends with him and support him as a friend despite his own discretions.
That might be true too, but people have an equal right to think that's pretty disgusting and does not speak well of her as a person. Once again Morgan didn't tell an off-colour joke, he sent a 13 year old a dick pic and isn't even sorry about it. If he was remorseful and willing to go to the US and face the consequences that would be different. But he literally couldn't give a f*ck. He's a bad person and deserves no-one's support until he wakes up to himself.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
That may be true, but there's no legal reason for her to continue to follow and interact with him on social media.

That might be true too, but people have an equal right to think that's pretty disgusting and does not speak well of her as a person. Once again Morgan didn't tell an off-colour joke, he sent a 13 year old a dick pic and isn't even sorry about it. If he was remorseful and willing to go to the US and face the consequences that would be different. But he literally couldn't give a f*ck. He's a bad person and deserves no-one's support until he wakes up to himself.
But it's not outsiders' jobs to tell people how they need to feel. And that sounds harsh, but it's reality. James did herself no favors by some of her actions, but there is no rulebook about what she has to do. When a family member murders someone, people can of course feel disgusted by it but they aren't likely to shut that person out of their lives anyways. Morgan was like family to Vanessa, I'm sure and this is not something of that magnitude. Sometimes it might not click, sometimes you don't want it to click, but not everyone is wired the same in that regard.

So people can go ahead and not like her, not like Radford by association, whatever else, but like I've said before: it's coming from a bunch of people hiding behind user names that claim they are activists for every new hot topic of the day, and they turn around and are disgusting and threatening to people from the comfort of their computers. That's not being better. If you want to boo her, not follow her, turn the TV off, whatever - that's how you feel. But these pathetic Twitter brigades are just doing the same shit they always do any other time.

VGThuy

So people can go ahead and not like her, not like Radford by association, whatever else, but like I've said before: it's coming from a bunch of people hiding behind user names that claim they are activists for every new hot topic of the day, and they turn around and are disgusting and threatening to people from the comfort of their computers. That's not being better.
I don’t think it’s fair to paint everyone who feels negatively towards Vanessa for her actions once the news about Cipres broke out as if they’re part of toxic skating Twitter. I bet most reasonable people who feel negatively aren’t even part of that culture nor are they actively harassing or paying much attention to her until news about her comes their way.

tony

I don’t think it’s fair to paint everyone who feels negatively towards Vanessa for her actions once the news about Cipres broke out as if they’re part of toxic skating Twitter. I bet most reasonable people who feel negatively aren’t even part of that culture nor are they actively harassing or paying much attention to her until news about her comes their way.
I'm not, though. I specifically claimed that the Twitter brigades are doing no good and everyone can feel whatever way they want to feel. (but I did edit a few seconds later so you likely didn't see that part)

VGThuy

I'm not, though. I specifically claimed that the Twitter brigades are doing no good and everyone can feel whatever way they want to feel. (but I did edit a few seconds later so you likely didn't see that part)
Oh I didn’t see it. I agree with that part you wrote. I’ll never join any skating Twitter mob. They’re scary.

I will say one more thing to clarify, I do totally understand Meagan’s initial reaction once I found out more about Radford’s actions and how he sneaked behind her back. His excuses later on were really bad and were misogynistic at their base. I for one get why she wanted to publicly clarify the situation and give her POV since the partnership was made publicly. However, there comes a time where it stops being helpful to keep spreading things online or interacting with people who may have their own motives to jump on the hate train, and it makes me personally question where a lot of things that has been spread by other sources about this situation is coming from and for what purpose aka TSL.

becca

I just don’t see why Meghan needs to say her side. I was seeing someone last year who I share some friends with. He did some things I don’t like and hurt me a bit.

But I made the personal decision to not badmouth the guy on social media or tell our friends “my side.” Because frankly none of their business.

And I don’t want to develop the reputation of someone who bad mouths people when things don’t work out.

it’s just not a Good look and it hurts people and makes them choice sides.

tony

I just don’t see why Meghan needs to say her side. I was seeing someone last year who I share some friends with. He did some things I don’t like and hurt me a bit.

But I made the personal decision to not badmouth the guy on social media or tell our friends “my side.” Because frankly none of their business. And I don’t want to develop the reputation of someone who bad mouths people when things don’t work out.
Different generations, different ways of coping, feeling like you need to be heard, whatever. I grew up in a generation of dramatic people around me and on social media who were always throwing all of their feelings on status messages or posts. Meagan's outlet is her personal social media that is attributed specifically to her. For many, many people on FSU, this has been a place to constantly vent about things but from behind different user names. The scale is smaller, but the idea is not different. She could've made a tearful Youtube video spilling all the beans - that seems to be super trendy these days.

Meagan told her side because an article came out via Skate Canada announcing the partnership with no mention of why Duhamel was no longer involved. And I suspect a lot of people on FSU, who like to argue quite a bit ;), would've done the same to some extent if they were in that position.

becca

Different generations, different ways of coping, feeling like you need to be heard, whatever. I grew up in a generation of dramatic people around me and on social media who were always throwing all of their feelings on status messages or posts. Meagan's outlet is her personal social media that is attributed specifically to her. For many, many people on FSU, this has been a place to constantly vent about things but from behind different user names. The scale is smaller, but the idea is not different. She could've made a tearful Youtube video spilling all the beans - that seems to be super trendy these days.

Meagan told her side because an article came out via Skate Canada announcing the partnership with no mention of why Duhamel was no longer involved. And I suspect a lot of people on FSU, who like to argue quite a bit ;), would've done the same to some extent if they were in that position.
Venting on a message board under anonymous name where no one knows who you are taking about is one thing.

Calling out someone publically is very different thing....And all it’s going to lead to is issues. For example the next person she may want to partner with May ask:

“Will this person badmouth me and slam me on social media if our partnership doesn’t work out.” It’s a real question. It’s about trustworthiness.

anonymoose_au

Oh I didn’t see it. I agree with that part you wrote. I’ll never join any skating Twitter mob. They’re scary
That goes for me also. I've unfollowed most of the skating accounts I followed on Twitter because they're honestly all a bunch of nuts.

While I think Eric really messed up I certainly don't agree with the vile stuff the Twitter crowd has said.

With regards to Vanessa, I'm not sure what to make of her reaction to Morgan. As I said I can see being supportive of someone who did an awful thing if said person is trying to make amends. But if my best friend or family member did something as awful as Morgan did and didn't care, I'd hope I'd have the strength to do the right thing and cut them off even if hurt a lot.

Xsktrx

Anyone keeping track of the for vs against posts for Meagan, Eric and Vanessa. Wonder who’s got the bigger for/against spread? Don’t think we need to track Morgan.

anonymoose_au

Anyone keeping track of the for vs against posts for Meagan, Eric and Vanessa. Wonder who’s got the bigger for/against spread? Don’t think we need to track Morgan.
TBH I haven't seen a single supportive post for Eric and Vanessa - aside from the Asher Hill one linked upthread. Ashley Wagner was originally positive on Insta, but then changed her mind after a flood of DMs.

jmtfti

TBH I haven't seen a single supportive post for Eric and Vanessa - aside from the Asher Hill one linked upthread. Ashley Wagner was originally positive on Insta, but then changed her mind after a flood of DMs.
There are more from prominent skaters in the comments on Vanessa and Eric's Instagram posts. Papadakis/Cizeron also posted Instagram Stories about how proud they were of them.

becca

Yes but why should they mention her Eric was trying to keep that private. They hadn’t skated together for awhile. What’s done privately can be addressed privately. No one is perfect! The person (I mentioned not a bad person) we all make mistakes and errors in our personal relationships.

But that doesn’t mean we deserve to be publically skewered and harrassed. Which is what Meghan did when she did her whole I got hurt thing. She set him up to be publically harassed.

And I got to say things if Meghan had gone to him privately and said you hurt me. You treated me poorly. He might feel bad about it.

But now that she is going out and publically sicked the dogs on him. He probably will not feel one ounce of remorse.

Orm Irian

New post from Meaghan. Very hypocritical in my opinion, but if she is happy being this way, congratulations.

Captura.jpg
I find that post decidedly disingenuous at this point, but whatever.
It's INTENTS AND PURPOSES. Omg, I have death in my soul.
My editor's nerves thank you. :)
It's because Eric said that the reason he first approached Vanessa was that he wanted to skate in shows with her (and not Meagan). People then were coming up with reasons why skating with Meagan in shows was just impossible and others are pointing out that this is dumb.

I think she would have been fine if he had said that he didn't want to skate anymore to concentrate on something else (like his music career). She may not have liked it, but people move on from skating, even in shows, as they get older, and taking about betrayal in public over such a situation would have garnered a much different reaction.

It doesn't make sense to me because even if Meagan decides to have another child, we are talking about maybe 6 months of one year that they can't tour tops. Out of years of show skating. And that assumes she doesn't wait to have a second child until they are both done with show skating. Or times it perfectly to miss the show skating season.
To be honest, under the circumstances imposed by first Duhamel's pregnancy and maternity leave and then COVID-19 I could see Radford slowly, without even realising it, starting to feel like his partnership with her was over in everything but name already - whether or not she felt the same way - and eventually starting to act on it too, in ways that ended up having unanticipated emotional and professional repercussions for both of them. And - look, I have absolutely no evidence at all that this was a part of it, but there is a very long-standing social pattern of persons who have reproduced unthinkingly - or occasionally just plain arrogantly - treating the lives of persons who have not reproduced as lesser and their lives and families as not fully real, and expecting them to rearrange their entire existence, including work choices, around the convenience of the reproducers. If that dynamic also happened to come into play here it would be a recipe for Radford to look elsewhere. Let's not forget that he has a family to contribute to both emotionally and financially just as much as Duhamel does. I'm sure he feels that he has the same right to put his life and family first as she does.

fortunately until now, I've never heard anyone lambasting Kevin and Maé for not speaking up. They are, just like James, collateral damages. But if we follow your line of thoughts, then they should be hanged too just for being there.
If you haven't seen it, I'm afraid it's because you haven't been looking in the right places. There are all too many posters on Twitter and reddit communities who take every mention of Kevin and Mae's names as an opportunity to declare their hatred for them on the grounds that they have not - 'denounced', I believe is the favoured word these days - Cipres, Zimmerman and Fontana. Some are even willing to tear down Mae's anti-racism work by asserting that she only does it to make herself look good so people will 'give her a pass' on having any association with them (I'm sure you can understand why Mae gets so much more vitriol than Kevin...)..

euterpe

One thing: I was startled to read that Meagan had skated in shows with Eric when she was pregnant. It isn't a great idea to skate ---- particularly in pairs --- when you're pregnant, because spinning can have bad effects on the fetus, and what pairs program lacks spinning (sbs, pairs, death spiral). And what about falls? If I were the male partner of a pregnant skater, I'd be very nervous that some action of mine might cause damage to the mother /and/or child.

becca

One thing: I was startled to read that Meagan had skated in shows with Eric when she was pregnant. It isn't a great idea to skate ---- particularly in pairs --- when you're pregnant, because spinning can have bad effects on the fetus, and what pairs program lacks spinning (sbs, pairs, death spiral). And what about falls? If I were the male partner of a pregnant skater, I'd be very nervous that some action of mine might cause damage to the mother /and/or child.
Yeah I would be terrified of that to if I was a male partner.

Excidra

As much as I like Megan I really feel for Eric, who appeared to be stuck between a rock and a hard place when he deciding to skate with Vanessa. Truth be told, Megan moved on her with life she achieved her dreams in skating. She had a baby, opened a skating school and as people deal with COV!D and the lack of opportunities, especially for skaters who retired, it makes sense for Eric to look else where in order to put food on his table. In my opinion he was left holding the bag and when he decided he no longer wanted to be the person holding the bag and missing out on opportunities, he was crucified. It is true that Megan went on to have a baby, which causes most woman to put a pause on their career. And what is Eric to do, wait for Megan? Not fair to him.

I think and Eric and Vanessa pairing has the potential to achieve more than what Eric and Megan achieved. They just don't have time on their side.

It will be a miracle for them to be in a position to contend for #1 spot in the world but they can certainly become Canada #1. That one might bring in some endorsements and show opportunities.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes but lifts and stuff would be scary.
It depends on how far along she was. An embryo and an early fetus aren't going to fall out of the uterus when a woman falls. That only happens on tv. But as the pregnancy progresses, your center of balance changes which makes certain skating moves harder. I know people who skate until very late in their pregnancy but as it progresses they limit what they do.

However, Radford said nothing about this in his reasons for breaking up the partnership. Let's not make up reasons when he's given plenty already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information