Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Those TSL posts are more meltdown than anything Meagan has said, and they are borderline Grenoble/delete the whole concept for a week again 😂

Xsktrx

It's pretty minor drama for anyone not on skating Twitter/skating forums; very inside baseball as far as casual fans and the general public are concerned. Skate Canada seems perfectly happy to have them, and Vanessa James has built up a public profile by doing Battle of the Blades. On a shallow note, she's also absolutely stunning. It's not a long-term partnership with the results Duhamel/Radford had, but they shouldn't suffer for opportunities.

It doesn't really matter if other pairs, especially juniors, aren't happy - they have no power and no say in this. And I'm sure James/Radford are well aware of the political side of skating, and prepared to deal with it.
Re other pairs I agree. If you don’t have the partner who can take you to the next level you either look for a partner who can or if one is not willing to split for whatever reason, live with it but don’t complain when another pair forms that is better.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There was so much :drama: when V/M came back and put a stick in the plans of other Canadian dancers.

Well, it wasn't just those teams having their plans disrupted. There were a couple of lower-level teams (lower at the senior level, and also junior teams planning to move up) who didn't have the resources to stick around for another four years, and quit the sport entirely.

I get what you're saying about teams looking out for their own best interests, and I understand that motivation on their part. But V/M coming back will have negative long-term impacts on the development of ice dance in Canada IMO.

MsZem

I see the sea
While I would always prefer amiable breakups, skating is a profession, not a hobby for these people and they are going to follow their own best interest. Meagan, whom I've always liked, has her medals and her family and was not in an active partnership when this happened, so onwards.
It's not unlike professional athletes - I'm sure many would love to spend their entire career with one team, but sometimes it doesn't work out like that. And you don't see athletes who get traded go on about being betrayed.

There's a lot to admire in Meagan, but I don't think she will be joining you in PR any time soon ;)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
As @BlueRidge 's unimaginary friend in RL, I assure you she knows that. And I happen to think that venting on social media when you're a public person and are looking to prevent or cause reputation damage is SOP these days. But BR has a point that in terms of the actual relationship with the RL person, it's not constructive.

I have no idea what SOP means... I clearly should not be speaking on the subjects I'm speaking on :lol:

But let's give credit to social media where credit is due here, I met PRlady online leading to us becoming unimaginary friends in RL. :D

Carolla5501

Wouldn't her loss of revenue be considered damages? If I were her, I'd be having this conversation with a good lawyer rather than IG.
Probably not unless they have a contractual agreement to do something coming up that she had to cancel. I mean it's not like he got "damages" because she was off the ice to have a child last year.

And considering the current state of professional skating... what revenue?

Mme Bovary

TSL is so disgusting ..if these tweets come from Meaghan ( i think so too), I can understand why Eric has regained his illusion with another pair and also that he has not said anything to Meaghan
Dave was quick to clarify he has not spoken to Meagan about it. I don't know.

I really don't know who I would side with here if I had to choose. I think it's really bad to go behind your former partner's back (even if they didn't have any shows planned it would be bad). But somehow I can see why one would just go and make their own decisions without telling this particular former partner. Glad I do not have to pick a side and just get to :watch:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm already imagining they'll be beautiful, lyrical, and smoothly energetic.
Lyrical is not a word I imagine with either of these skaters. Nor smooth, really. But beautify and energetic work for me. I expect them to be somewhat edgy and exciting.

She may be made an assumption based on their past working relationship, but in business, you don't rely on that.
In figure skating, pairs who get to the level that this pair did, generally stay paired even after retirement. It's highly unusual to have one of them decide to skate with someone else especially if the other one is interested in continuing. I don't think it's unreasonable of Dumahel to expect their partnership to continue for a while especially as they'd had discussions about it.

I know all about online communities; I've been on FSU for 20 years and its an a wonderful community. But that's not the same as sending social media posts to the winds for everyone in the world to see.
Except it is. Everything you post here can be seen by anyone.

but I doubt we’ll hear any boos come competition time.
It's skating. We boo marks and Speedy and that's about it. So a lack of boos means nothing in this case.

It doesn't really matter if other pairs, especially juniors, aren't happy - they have no power and no say in this. And I'm sure James/Radford are well aware of the political side of skating, and prepared to deal with it.
Also, there is no way that they could have handled this that wouldn't upset their competitors. The people who they need to care about are the people they aren't pairing with anymore and the people who are going to support the new pairing (i.e., Skate Canada)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Except it is. Everything you post here can be seen by anyone.
But there is an intended audience for the posts and its other FSU posters. Someone from outside would have to go to extra effort to find what is posted here if they are not a poster. If one posts on Instagram and has their setting so their posts are public they are intentionally sending their posts out to the world rather than a more limited audience.

puglover

Not all pair teams or dance teams are the same. Many seem to be together on the ice but not particularly friends off of it. Meagan and Eric's book is called "Soulmates on Ice" and the stories that they have shared would seem to indicate a close friendship. I remember her and Bruno at Eric's wedding a few years ago and it looked like a relatively intimate gathering. Perhaps that is at least part of the reason Meagan is upset. I will admit, I have always liked her and thought it was great to see a feisty piss and vinegar type girl make it against the odds. I recall she was supportive of Kirsten when she changed partners and welcomed her and Mike to the Richard/Bruno coaching team. I would assume if Meagan had not supported it, it might not have happened. There must be a lot that we just don't know.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
First I thought it was April fool. Then I realized we are 20 days past that. So this is real.

Mme Bovary

In figure skating, pairs who get to the level that this pair did, generally stay paired even after retirement. It's highly unusual to have one of them decide to skate with someone else especially if the other one is interested in continuing. I don't think it's unreasonable of Dumahel to expect their partnership to continue for a while especially as they'd had discussions about it.
I watched the Figure Skating Show interview with Eric and Vanessa and I see a few things. I see two people who have nothing to lose and who don't care very much for what others think. They see an opportunity and they are going for it because they feel it makes them happy and opens new possibilities for them as athletes and artist.

I also see two people who haven't fully figured out how to move on from their former careers (or are not happy how they ended) and are putting those "real life" plans on hold for another year.

rhapsody

You need to get your eyesight checked. As well as the fact that a former European champion and World medallist is the definition of a top pair skater.

Eyes are just fine. :D

And if we're using medals to determine how good someone is, then it certainly was a downgrade to leave behind a skater with not only a continental title, but also an Olympic title and two World titles.

:violin:

angi

The part in their interview with Asher and Dylan where Eric tried to pin his decision in part on Meagan having a baby and talking about having another one (something she wrote is untrue but let's ignore it for now) is really annoying to me. I wonder if he realizes the misogyny vibe that his comment project. She did two tours with him while pregnant and obviously committed to doing more with him in the future, but sure let's spin this situation to be the fault of a woman deciding to have children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information