Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

quartz

scratching at the light
I think it's astonishing that anyone thinks of BB as anything but a trolling pseud.
That’s why some of us troll right back. It’s just for fun. Like, I actually stopped digging spliffs outta ashtrays 35 years ago. Cuz I’m all classy now. Once I find myself a Keegan hat I’ll be the poster child for Canadian high culture let me tell ya.

orbitz

It's better to go after your dream and maybe fail then to regret afterward that you didn't take that chance. So Eric and Vanessa didn't have the success this season that many expected them to have but at the end of the day, so what? I'm sure both of them are still glad of the journey that they went through this season.

Sammie62

I hope TSL ask Meagan to do the pairs recap :biggrinbo
She was great on CBC and in fact Kurt jumped in to criticize one of Vanessa's not so nice landings after Meagan praised the jump.

I found them to be quite slow and her jumps just aren't that good. She may be beautiful with more height than Meagan but she's not as good a skater. It will be interesting to see if she and Eric will skate professionally when things open up. They don't have the appeal with such weak finishes compared to Eric and Meagan who had a lot of medals.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It's better to go after your dream and maybe fail then to regret afterward that you didn't take that chance. So Eric and Vanessa didn't have the success this season that many expected them to have but at the end of the day, so what?

Another Canadian pairs team that was qualified didn't get that opportunity
for international experience. That's what.

shuilee

Did Eric on instagram imply that they will keep competing? Sounds like they may keep training for 1 more year to 2023. Maybe even 2026 if the Canadian pairs scene is so weak. They really have no competition.

There's really no show skating left in North America except for a small handful of shows on SOI (assuming they're even invited....currently only KMT/MM are invited as top pairs team). Competing in ISU competitions is best way to make money.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I hope it meant that but I thought it might just mean one more competition - Worlds.

Sammie62

With the meltdown Jamie Sale is having on twitter I would really like to see Duhamel and Pelletier team up for shows once they start up again. Does anyone know when Meagan is due? I'd be very surprised if Stars on Ice or Battle of the blades will keep Sale as part of their respective rosters.

skatingguy

decently
With the meltdown Jamie Sale is having on twitter I would really like to see Duhamel and Pelletier team up for shows once they start up again. Does anyone know when Meagan is due? I'd be very surprised if Stars on Ice or Battle of the blades will keep Sale as part of their respective rosters.
I believe that Meagan is about 5 months pregnant so it will probably be a while before she's ready to do show skating again.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think Pelletier is more likely to skate with his bride Gordeeva over Duhamel. But they are also retired from professional skating? Duhamel would make a great judge on BOTB.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I don’t do the Twitter. Could you DM me and let me know what’s going on. Thank you
I got curious and looked at Jamie's twitter (it's accessible without a membership) and well...MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

In a nutshell, she's celebrating people burning their vaxx cards, glorifying the anti-vaxx Canadian truckers, and reposting misinformation from people like Dr. Simone Gold and Candace Owens among others.

This says it all; a meme that says "Instead of calling them conspiracy theories, we should call them spoiler alerts." My congrats to David Pelletier for getting away from this whack job... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Rhumba d’Amour

I took Eric’s message to mean he’s enjoyed his experience at the games and grateful for the opportunity, not that they truly want to stay another cycle. I do think they will stay until worlds to try to get 2 spots for next year.
Eric did seem to enjoy the Olympic experience, though I’m sure his competitive results were not what he would have wanted. I often saw him in the audience applauding other skaters (especially Maddie Schizas—he was there front and center every time she skated, very sweet.)

Former Lurve Goddess

Eric did seem to enjoy the Olympic experience, though I’m sure his competitive results were not what he would have wanted. I often saw him in the audience applauding other skaters (especially Maddie Schizas—he was there front and center every time she skated, very sweet.)
Despite my snark, I actually like J&R and think they look good together. If they're going to continue next year, they should embrace their story as Black woman skating with an out gay man and skate to Queen Latifah's "Walk the Dinosaur"🦎

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Competing and earning prize money is the best way to defray expenses, but to do better than break-even means podium placement at two GP's, GPF, 4C's, and Worlds. A Sui/Han- or P/C-level Pair could win Worlds and $90K USD (~$115K CAD) without having competed all season, but that's a very big exception.

Skaters may cover the costs of coaching, rink expenses, coaches travel and lost lessons, training, costumes, music, choreography, practice clothes, hair/makeup/grooming, conditioning, medical, etc. plus living expenses and maybe make some extra, if they can place on the podium at two GPs, GPF, Euros/4C's, and Worlds, and their Feds don't take any of the up-to-10% cut to which they are entitled, but for what I think is the most optimistic for J/R would be:
  • Bronze at two GP's: $18K
  • 5th at GPF: $4K
  • Silver at 4C's: $20K
  • 5th at Worlds: $16K
While $58K USD (~$74K CAD) is nothing to sneeze at, I don't know if they even break even at that amount, and that's a very optimistic outlook for them, even if Sui/Han are out of the mix, and with K/F and M/K with the same or greater upsides, and some new up-and-coming teams. They didn't even beat a weakened MT/M in Beijing.

wickedwitch

I took Eric’s message to mean he’s enjoyed his experience at the games and grateful for the opportunity, not that they truly want to stay another cycle. I do think they will stay until worlds to try to get 2 spots for next year.
I can't imagine that Eric's back holds out for four more years. And since he's already got a world title and an Oly bronze, why push it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information