Elizabet Tursynbaeva's Mother - interview re Orser, Eteri, training issues.

Tinami Amori

Mother of Elizabet Tursynbaeva speaks about the coaching differences in Tuberidze’s and Orser’s group.
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/na_kitai/2299603.html

Editorial: Mother of the famous skater, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Mrs. Padishahan Sultanalieva, born in Aksa, but a long time resident of Moscow since her university attendance days, told the correspondent of RDV about the developments in life of their family, and why they decided to return to Eteri Tutberidze from Brian Orser.

RDV: We know that Elizabet used to train with Eteri Tutberidze, then you moved to Orser, yet today you returned to Tutberidze. To begin, how is your daughter Elizabet is described from a professional/athletic point of view?
TursyMom: She is petite, neatly/compactly shaped, flexible and thin - a combination that is considered good for a figure skater, also Elizabet has good genetics for jumping.

RDV: How did your children end up at a rink, and in the world of sports in general?
TursyMom: Can the dreams come true? In 1980 in Moscow during 1980 Olympics the whole country watched the event on the TV screens. I watched with great inspiration, I was only 9 years old. Watching at the screen I imagined and dreamed up a picture, how it is me there among the athletes. I told my mother: I want to be there, it’s a grand path, a real life, with great people and the whole world. One has a defined path in life, one is never bored (idle), and the path to become an Olympian is so exciting – even then I had the premonition of what such life would be as an athlete.

So it happened, due to Elizabet’s efforts, that history was made, as prior to her, no other female from Kazakhstan ever made it to the Olympics. And yet she (Elizabet) managed to earn two quotas for Olympic participation (for Kazakhstan).

RDV: In Kazakhstan, seems that the athletes on such level are well treated. Do you feel this level of support?
TursyMom: Yes, from the very beginning they supported us, always treated us well. From my own experience, I know that the success level of a young athlete heavily depends on the titanic efforts of his family, even if there is government support. A lot of aspects we (parents) must organize through our own efforts, at our own expense, and all that we invest.

In the beginning our goals were to make the Russian team, at the Tutberidze’s group, then, after consulting within the family, decided that Elizabet should represent Kazakhstan, and that meant some changes. At that the Russian coaches were not allowed to train non-russians, and my daughter already took Kazakh citizenship.

That and other reasons lead us to go to Brian Orser in Canada, just prior to 2014. We were searching for best possibilities and opportunities, and Orser was available to train athletes from foreign countries, besides the fact that he is one of the best coaches. When we arrived to Canada, we understood how the relationship between a coach and a pupil work.

In Canada, in general, if a child doing sports, his parents pay for everything, and we soon learned that it is not so each to secure state’s support (for the training) as it is usually done in Russia. In Russia it is a given, that a promising athlete from young age, is guided and supported by the state, although, parents too, in addition, cover many high expenses. Food, medicine/doctors, costumes, skates, athletic gear and accessories – all is very expensive.

There were instances when Elizabet reminisce and say to me: we should have stayed with the previous coach. Tutberdize had a better inside for what each pupil needs. And here (in Canada) we had to learn English, adapt to each other, and five years just went by.

RVD: Brian Orser – what is he like?
TursyMom: Orser – he is cheerful, open (easy going), but extremely busy. He has many students, he travels all over the world. (He) spends quite a lot of time on ice shows. Our mistake in choosing Orser was our misconception that he will be with us 24/7 (that we will be under his management through out the day). But instead we had to work pretty much all on our own.

RVD: So there is a difference in the systems – “old soviet” vs. “western”?
TursyMom: Over there (in the west) you’re left to your own devices, a lot you have to decide on your own, all the way to selecting your own programmes. But when you make a mistake, it is your mistake. Orser, pretty much, gives a 20 minute lesson, and he is responsible for these 20 minutes. But for the “global results” you need to either fetch for yourself, or to have a strong Federation behind you, like Russia, to help, to support. Even in Kazakhstan that kind of Federation does not exist, it lacks well trained judges, tech controllers, coaches, but still Kazakhstan provides Elizabet all the help that is available.

RVD: Then why was it necessary to change citizenship?
TursyMom: Because it also has its reasons, in Russia there is high competition. Looking at my daughter I thought about her able to handle such competition, can she survive it? I looked at it with “mother’s eyes”, not as a coach, but maybe I did not have the right to do so (to underestimate her ability). Some parents do that – just put their child on the coach and that’s it. I could not do that, I had to guard her until she is of legal age, to avoid mistakes. Now we are preparing for the 2022 Peking Olympics, and it is a new beginning for my girl.

RVD: After Orser, will there be changes from Tutberidze in your daughter’s (training/technique)?
TursyMom: Of course, it is standard practice, yet technique from Tutberidze was not affected (saved) under Orser. We begged Eteri (to take us) for a long time, conducted negotiations. Eteri Georgievna, when she works, she puts her soul into it, and is not held back by formalities, perhaps that is why she has such results. She is a well organized (disciplined) coach with a great team – coach Dudakov, choreographer Gleikh.

RVD: Has Tatiana Tarasova, the honored coach of USSR, made any comments about Elizabet?
TursyMom: She (TAT) thinks that Elizabet could do well in pairs, because of her built, but I am not getting involved in my daughter’s business, she is now 18.

RVD: Do you fly back to your native homeland, to Kyrgyzstan, and which part were you born in?
TursyMom: I was born in Aksa. When I fly back, I spend a lot of time in Bishkek (capital), and then go to my native Aksa. In Bishkek I have many friends, and eager journalists. They ask my advise on healthy lifestyle, how to attract people to sports on a national level. We are not genetically inferior to others (athletic predispositions of other races/ethnicities), so many talented kids around and we must push and develop, and raise our Nation’s spirit.

By the way, I am writing my 3rd book, about our life. It is called “Figure Skating – is my life”.

(spelling and corrections welcomed, reasonable ones).

hanca

Values her privacy
Mother of Elizabet Tursynbaeva speaks about the coaching differences in Tuberidze’s and Orser’s group.
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/na_kitai/2299603.html

Editorial: Mother of the famous skater, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Mrs. Padishahan Sultanalieva, born in Aksa, but a long time resident of Moscow since her university attendance days, told the correspondent of RDV about the developments in life of their family, and why they decided to return to Eteri Tutberidze from Brian Orser.

RDV: We know that Elizabet used to train with Eteri Tutberidze, then you moved to Orser, yet today you returned to Tutberidze. To begin, how is your daughter Elizabet is described from a professional/athletic point of view?
TursyMom: She is petite, neatly/compactly shaped, flexible and thin - a combination that is considered good for a figure skater, also Elizabet has good genetics for jumping.

RDV: How did your children end up at a rink, and in the world of sports in general?
TursyMom: Can the dreams come true? In 1980 in Moscow during 1980 Olympics the whole country watched the event on the TV screens. I watched with great inspiration, I was only 9 years old. Watching at the screen I imagined and dreamed up a picture, how it is me there among the athletes. I told my mother: I want to be there, it’s a grand path, a real life, with great people and the whole world. One has a defined path in life, one is never bored (idle), and the path to become an Olympian is so exciting – even then I had the premonition of what such life would be as an athlete.

So it happened, due to Elizabet’s efforts, that history was made, as prior to her, no other female from Kazakhstan ever made it to the Olympics. And yet she (Elizabet) managed to earn two quotas for Olympic participation (for Kazakhstan).

RDV: In Kazakhstan, seems that the athletes on such level are well treated. Do you feel this level of support?
TursyMom: Yes, from the very beginning they supported us, always treated us well. From my own experience, I know that the success level of a young athlete heavily depends on the titanic efforts of his family, even if there is government support. A lot of aspects we (parents) must organize through our own efforts, at our own expense, and all that we invest.

In the beginning our goals were to make the Russian team, at the Tutberidze’s group, then, after consulting within the family, decided that Elizabet should represent Kazakhstan, and that meant some changes. At that the Russian coaches were not allowed to train non-russians, and my daughter already took Kazakh citizenship.

That and other reasons lead us to go to Brian Orser in Canada, just prior to 2014. We were searching for best possibilities and opportunities, and Orser was available to train athletes from foreign countries, besides the fact that he is one of the best coaches. When we arrived to Canada, we understood how the relationship between a coach and a pupil work.

In Canada, in general, if a child doing sports, his parents pay for everything, and we soon learned that it is not so each to secure state’s support (for the training) as it is usually done in Russia. In Russia it is a given, that a promising athlete from young age, is guided and supported by the state, although, parents too, in addition, cover many high expenses. Food, medicine/doctors, costumes, skates, athletic gear and accessories – all is very expensive.

There were instances when Elizabet reminisce and say to me: we should have stayed with the previous coach. Tutberdize had a better inside for what each pupil needs. And here (in Canada) we had to learn English, adapt to each other, and five years just went by.

RVD: Brian Orser – what is he like?
TursyMom: Orser – he is cheerful, open (easy going), but extremely busy. He has many students, he travels all over the world. (He) spends quite a lot of time on ice shows. Our mistake in choosing Orser was our misconception that he will be with us 24/7 (that we will be under his management through out the day). But instead we had to work pretty much all on our own.

RVD: So there is a difference in the systems – “old soviet” vs. “western”?
TursyMom: Over there (in the west) you’re left to your own devices, a lot you have to decide on your own, all the way to selecting your own programmes. But when you make a mistake, it is your mistake. Orser, pretty much, gives a 20 minute lesson, and he is responsible for these 20 minutes. But for the “global results” you need to either fetch for yourself, or to have a strong Federation behind you, like Russia, to help, to support. Even in Kazakhstan that kind of Federation does not exist, it lacks well trained judges, tech controllers, coaches, but still Kazakhstan provides Elizabet all the help that is available.

RVD: Then why was it necessary to change citizenship?
TursyMom: Because it also has its reasons, in Russia there is high competition. Looking at my daughter I thought about her able to handle such competition, can she survive it? I looked at it with “mother’s eyes”, not as a coach, but maybe I did not have the right to do so (to underestimate her ability). Some parents do that – just put their child on the coach and that’s it. I could not do that, I had to guard her until she is of legal age, to avoid mistakes. Now we are preparing for the 2022 Peking Olympics, and it is a new beginning for my girl.

RVD: After Orser, will there be changes from Tutberidze in your daughter’s (training/technique)?
TursyMom: Of course, it is standard practice, yet technique from Tutberidze was not affected (saved) under Orser. We begged Eteri (to take us) for a long time, conducted negotiations. Eteri Georgievna, when she works, she puts her soul into it, and is not held back by formalities, perhaps that is why she has such results. She is a well organized (disciplined) coach with a great team – coach Dudakov, choreographer Gleikh.

RVD: Has Tatiana Tarasova, the honored coach of USSR, made any comments about Elizabet?
TursyMom: She (TAT) thinks that Elizabet could do well in pairs, because of her built, but I am not getting involved in my daughter’s business, she is now 18.

RVD: Do you fly back to your native homeland, to Kyrgyzstan, and which part were you born in?
TursyMom: I was born in Aksa. When I fly back, I spend a lot of time in Bishkek (capital), and then go to my native Aksa. In Bishkek I have many friends, and eager journalists. They ask my advise on healthy lifestyle, how to attract people to sports on a national level. We are not genetically inferior to others (athletic predispositions of other races/ethnicities), so many talented kids around and we must push and develop, and raise our Nation’s spirit.

By the way, I am writing my 3rd book, about our life. It is called “Figure Skating – is my life”.

(spelling and corrections welcomed, reasonable ones).
Maybe the ‘non-existent pair’ that Mozer mentioned in an interview a few months ago included Tursynbaeva? (Mozer mentioned that there is a pair, that at that time didn’t formally exist yet, but she thought she knew about a girl and a boy, who didn’t skate together yet, but they would be super successful. Apparently the negotiations were already going on to create the pair. She promised to uncover them in December. And then nothing....no one heard of this miraculous connection.)

Tinami Amori

Maybe the ‘non-existent pair’ that Mozer mentioned in an interview a few months ago included Tursynbaeva?
Since Tursynbaeva was seen in the back ground practicing her programmes on few videos from the rink, i am pretty sure she is preparing for 4CC full speed ahead. Her mother said in few interviews to the Kazakh press that they have full intention to participate in 2022 Olympics. I doubt it would be possible if Tursy transferred to pairs.

hanca

Values her privacy
Since Tursynbaeva was seen in the back ground practicing her programmes on few videos from the rink, i am pretty sure she is preparing for 4CC full speed ahead. Her mother said in few interviews to the Kazakh press that they have full intention to participate in 2022 Olympics. I doubt it would be possible if Tursy transferred to pairs.
The promised pair probably doesn’t exist, considering that Mozer didn’t show them in December as promised. Maybe the negotiations didn’t lead anywhere, or maybe it was just in her head. Saying that, I can’t see why it would be impossible for Tursynbaeva to go to Olympics in pairs if she found a partner who is experienced in pairs. Getting citizenship shouldn’t be that hard for him, and if Antipova and Marchei managed to learn a new discipline (pairs) within a year, why shouldn’t Tursynbaeva manage in three years? The question is obviously whether she would want to; not every female skater is keen to be lifted two metres up or thrown upwards and hope that her partner will catch her.

Tinami Amori

So even TAT likes to play the "if only that girl would switch to pairs" game! :)
Tarasova said in March, around World Championship event, before during or after (don't remember), that Elizabet is too petite and tiny to compete and to make an impression next to "adult girls with more figure and presence", that she is "too minuscule, like a sparrow". That she is just right for pairs and should consider it. Here is one link to TAT's comments, there were several.
https://ru.sputniknews.kz/sport/201...arasova-elizabet-tursynbayeva-sovet-para.html

(pls do not feel sorry for Tursy, or jump on TAT. Tursy did not hang herself, did not go into depression, or took TAT to court over bad body image. Tursy is fine, practicing for 4CC and thinks that TAT is a xxxxx"). :D

hanca

Values her privacy
To be fair, Tarasova is right. Tursynbaeva has a figure that is very suitable for pairs, and while a worlds she has placed 12th, 9th and 11th, I think she would have a good chance to do much better in pairs, especially because there is less pairs than ladies so getting to the top six in pairs may not be as hard as it would be in ladies (relatively speaking). She has the jumps, so as long as she would have a partner who can jump, they could be pretty decent.

Finsta

This make me respect Yuna even more. She was dedicated hard worker. Different girls need someone to be there 24/7 and some find that and have that drive and determine on their own

ilovepaydays

To be fair, Tarasova is right. Tursynbaeva has a figure that is very suitable for pairs, and while a worlds she has placed 12th, 9th and 11th, I think she would have a good chance to do much better in pairs, especially because there is less pairs than ladies so getting to the top six in pairs may not be as hard as it would be in ladies (relatively speaking). She has the jumps, so as long as she would have a partner who can jump, they could be pretty decent.

But she would have to probably change her citizenship - or the partner would. That may be hard to do in Kazakhstan or for other countries. Plus, she may not want to change.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
But she would have to probably change her citizenship - or the partner would. That may be hard to do in Kazakhstan or for other countries. Plus, she may not want to change.
She already managed to get Kazakhstani citizenship, so it seems it is not impossible for a Russian person to do that. Why should it be a problem for her potential partner?

hanca

Values her privacy
Thank you for the translation.

I'm disappointed there isn't a question about her demeanor in the K&C. :)
How would you phrase the question? ‘Do you think your behaviour in the K&C is somewhat unusual or do you always behave like this even when not on camera?’ Perhaps not.

kwanatic

This make me respect Yuna even more. She was dedicated hard worker. Different girls need someone to be there 24/7 and some find that and have that drive and determine on their own

Well don't forget when Yuna went to Brian he only had a few minor skaters who weren't at the elite level. IIRC, Yuna was his first elite level skater. When Yuna started winning it brought more attention to him as a coach and more elite level skaters began seeking him out as a full-time coach.

I have to agree with TAT. Elizabet is a lovely skater but the likelihood of her winning a world or Olympic medal is slim to none unless there is a serious decline in the level of competition. Given the trend over the past 4 years, women's skating is only getting harder. I do agree that Elizabet would be a strong pair skater as she can jump and spin and is also very tiny and light. Then again not every singles skaters wants to be a pairs skater.

I do think Eteri is a good fit for Elizabet but I don't see her going much farther than she's already gone. Looking at Eteri's current lineup of girls Elizabet likely ranks 5th behind Zagitova, Trusova, Kostornaia and Shcherbakova. Additionally, next to all 4 girls it's very clear that Elizabet is very far behind them in the standings.

canbelto

Well don't forget when Yuna went to Brian he only had a few minor skaters who weren't at the elite level. IIRC, Yuna was his first elite level skater. When Yuna started winning it brought more attention to him as a coach and more elite level skaters began seeking him out as a full-time coach.

Didn't Brian also have Adam Rippon? Who didn't do very well with Orser.

Anyway I've said this before but I think Brian is an amazing coach for students who already have a very strong technique. He instills them with the confidence and consistency needed to win competitions. I feel like Gracie Gold needed to go to Brian as a coach. She had amazing technique but psychogical hangups and an eating disorder. Don't think Frank Carroll helped that situation at all.

Orser's track record with students with iffy technique is not as good. We'll see what he can do with Med and Jason Brown, both of whom struggle with jump technique.

Not a slam on Orser. I think he's the most amazing "finisher" type coach if that makes sense.

kwanatic

Anyway I've said this before but I think Brian is an amazing coach for students who already have a very strong technique. He instills them with the confidence and consistency needed to win competitions. I feel like Gracie Gold needed to go to Brian as a coach. She had amazing technique but psychogical hangups and an eating disorder. Don't think Frank Carroll helped that situation at all.

Orser's track record with students with iffy technique is not as good. We'll see what he can do with Med and Jason Brown, both of whom struggle with jump technique.

Not a slam on Orser. I think he's the most amazing "finisher" type coach if that makes sense.

I agree. His most successful skaters (Yuna, Yuzu, Javi) all had a strong base prior to coming to him. They didn't need a bunch of fixing; they just needed focus, consistency and confidence.

Evgenia has a couple of technique issues but, by far, she's the most successful skater that has ever come to him. Yuna, Yuzu and Javi hadn't quite reached the top when they came to him whereas with Evgenia, she's already been to the top of the mountain (two world-titles, Olympic medal). With her it's going to be tweaking her technique and helping her to rebuild her confidence and consistency. I'm hopeful when it comes to her returning to her formal competitive form. As for Jason, he's always been a gorgeous skater but he's never had the best technical content. If Brian can help Jason add a quad it will send his stock as a technical coach through the roof.

Orser is a great coach and may have worked well for Gracie but we'll never know. It's possible Gracie's problems were beyond a coach's help.

Sylvia

TBD
Depends on what you mean by "well." Rippon had very good results with Orser from the period spanning 2009 Junior Worlds (his second win) through 2010 (4CC gold, solid 6th at his first Worlds as a replacement for Weir, his first 2 GP bronzes, a more stable 3A). IMO, looking back now, Yuna Kim's sudden departure in late summer 2010 likely affected everyone at the Cricket club in different ways and it may have taken Orser a certain amount of time to regain his mojo as a coach. Javier Fernandez arrived at the Cricket club in the summer of 2011 (a few months after Rippon had left Toronto) and Hanyu less than a year after that and the rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Orser is a great coach and may have worked well for Gracie but we'll never know. It's possible Gracie's problems were beyond a coach's help.

Kim's jumping was excellent, and maintained under Orser.

With Carroll, Gold's technique really went to pot.

Japanfan

Can’t blame Gracies problems on Frank. All people say he tried hard for her. She wasn’t ready for help. She was great skater. Terrible head case.

Gracie suffered from an eating disorder and depression.

Saying she was a 'terrible head case' trivializes the seriousness of these very real conditions.

Only recently have more skaters come forward to discuss mental health issues and eating disorders. They should not be dismissed as head cases, which could prevent other skaters from coming forward with these issues.

kwanatic

Gracie suffered from an eating disorder and depression.

Saying she was a 'terrible head case' trivializes the seriousness of these very real conditions.

Only recently have more skaters come forward to discuss mental health issues and eating disorders. They should not be dismissed as head cases, which could prevent other skaters from coming forward with these issues.

Prior to the knowledge of her depression and eating disorder, Gracie was considered a headcase in that she couldn't seem to keep her nerves in check during competition. Referring to her as a headcase now seems insensitive only b/c we know she was suffering from these issues. From all indication Gracie's problems really began after 2016 worlds...that's not to say she wasn't dealing with those issues prior to that time but they weren't as apparent in her skating.

I suppose with all of the light being shed on anxiety, depression, mental health and eating disorders we may have to retire that term for skaters moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information