Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passed away

Pastilage

Harley Windsor confirmed that Katia was diagnosed with epilepsy.
I practice in the field of epilepsy. I wonder if she had past head trauma. There could be a myriad of reasons why someone this age would seize including a focal epilepsy from head injury, juvenile myoclonic epilepsy with onset in the late teens or early twenties, metabolic/electrolyte imbalance related to diet such as low sodium levels.

This is so heartbreaking. She deserved a full evaluation at an academic epilepsy center. They may have been able to more definitively diagnose her and with successful treatment she may have been able to keep skating. Unfortunately she is in Russia and did not have access to this type of care. There is also a high degree of depression as a comorbidity of epilepsy.

For someone who practices on the field this is just your worst nightmare scenario but not uncommon.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It must be hard enough to transition out of a competitive career even under normal circumstances, but to do so amidst a pandemlc, with so many things shut down and sources of support unavailable... I wish Katia could have been easier on herself. I wish someone could have helped her realize how much she could still do with her life.

Sadly, it seems to be yet another example of “The Weight of Gold” - as in the subject of the upcoming HBO documentary we’ve been discussing elsewhere on FSU.

Last edited:

Amy L

Absolutely gutted. My heart dropped when I saw the subject line. It's been such an awful week with a lot of notable people dying. That poor girl got the worst of all possible situations. Health problems forcing her to quit, then a global p___c probably greatly prohibited her ability to seek gainful employment and mental health resources. I wish nothing but the best of love and support for her mother.

Вечная Память Катя 🕯 🕯 🕯 🕯 🕯

sus2850

Sadly, it seems to be yet another example of “The Weight of Gold” - as in the subject of the upcoming documentary we’ve been discussing elsewhere on FSU.

If it really was connected to the epilepsy issue and possible non adequate treatment/help plus a combination with a culture of dismissing injuries and illnessses that are more difficult to grasp than broken bones, it makes me even sadder.

When I met her at competitions she always seemed such an earnest and focussed young girl. Such a tragic turn of events. And I am so sorry for her poor mother.

starrynight

Sadly, it seems to be yet another example of “The Weight of Gold” - as in the subject of the upcoming HBO documentary we’ve been discussing elsewhere on FSU.

I've read that some who struggle mentally find themselves drawn to sports because of the self medicating endorphin rush that lots of exercise gives you.

But just gosh. The current world circumstances are the worst. People are trapped at home. The whole world has stopped. Regular people feel trapped and down ... heavens knows how one must feel when there is already a struggle there.

I feel sorry for the people left behind. How her mother will ever cope I don't know.

And Katia's skating friends. This will be hard on Harley Windsor too. There will always now be a great sense of sadness and tragedy over his world champ gold medal and Olympic experience.

FSWer

It must be hard enough to transition out of a competitive career even under normal circumstances, but to do so amidst a pandemlc, with so many things shut down and sources of support unavailable... I wish Katia could have been easier on herself. I wish someone could have helped her realize how much she could still do with her life.
I'm thinking this pendemic is effecting a lot of Skaters.

muffinplus

Harley Windsor confirmed that Katia was diagnosed with epilepsy.

I thought their partnership had broken up ?

(Obviously terrible news as everyone has already commented)

nlloyd

Very shocking news. My thoughts are with her mother, her former pair's partner, Harley, and all who knew and loved her.

Figure skating can be such a roller coaster ride for those at the top, and her career exemplifies this. To have worked so hard and progressed so quickly, only to have it all taken away, must have been very difficult. While the c-virus has a part to play in the challenges faced by recently retired skaters, many skaters have, in the past, spoken of the difficulties they experience upon retiring. Feeling that one has reached the peak of one's achievements at such a young age, and then having to find a starting point for the rest of one's life when all one has known is skating, is very challenging. It must be even more difficult when one is not able to retire on one's own terms, but is forced to as a result of injury or illness. There is a need for more formal support for all competitive skaters who leave the sport, in my opinion. Skaters bring so much pleasure to fans, finding ways to support them better seems the least figure skating federations can do.

starrynight

It must be even more difficult when one is not able to retire on one's own terms, but is forced to as a result of injury or illness. There is a need for more formal support for all competitive skaters who leave the sport, in my opinion. Skaters bring so much pleasure to fans, finding ways to support them better seems the least figure skating federations can do.

Yes. I think they don't get much support at all. I think a lot of people were shocked when it turned out that Joshua Farris actually had to seek public donations for medical treatment for sports injuries. There was no help there for him until he actually had to ask fans for it. Luckily he has successfully transitioned into coaching now.

Sylvia

TBD
Statement of Peter Lynch, President of Ice Skating Australia:

The Olympic Winter Institute of Australia posted on their FB page an hour ago:

starrynight

I just feel so terrible about this. As an Australian, that Junior World Champ gold was so exciting and Katia and Harley were such a likeable team.

Friends who knew I liked skating would mention to me in the lead up to the 2018 Games that they read about them in the paper. I'm just so sad.

Based on Instagram, Harley has been skating alone and working out in his garage. I hope that he can continue skating after this rough experience. This whole thing, now that we know what happened behind the scenes, must have been difficult.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Don’t know if this was posted yet.... from People Magazine

Olympic Figure Skater Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya Dies at 20

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya competed for Australia at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics alongside skating partner Harley Windsor

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
What a nightmare. Sending good thoughts to her family.

It must have been gutting to lose control of your body to epilepsy after spending most of your life training your body and controlling everything to the millimeter.

I don't condone suicide but I can understand. Not sure I would not have packed it in myself.

starrynight

It's not like anyone 'condones' suicide ... like accepts it or welcomes it or anything. I always get confused when people talk about it like that. Suicide has to be the most awful thing ever for everyone involved. The despair of the person who believes its the only way out and for the best is beyond imagining. And then the horror and guilt for the people left behind wondering 'why' and 'what more could we have done'. It's not like dying of an illness or accident - there's no family sitting around a hospital bed or anything like that. It's just terrible and it affects everyone so badly.

I feel awful this morning reading this news. They really were a favourite team of mine.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Not so much broken up as she was forced to retire due to epilepsy. As far as I've read, they were otherwise planning to continue to skate together.
I suspect there was actually a combinaton of injuries and illness. Epilepsy is often successfully controlled through medication (depends on type, response to drugs etc); it shouldn't have been a retirement cause in and of itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information