Cooking/Recipe Thread.

algonquin

I made a yummy stew in my slow cooker today. I believe that I have posted here that my slow cooker over cooks. So, I set the slow cooker for 5 1/2 hours instead of 8 hours. It would have been like shoe leather if cooked for 8 hours.

sk8pics

I just bought a Hamilton single-serve blender. Nice and compact and you can drink out of the container you blend in, and use it as a travel mug. I just tried it out: half a cup of frozen blueberries, half a cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt, 3/8 cup of 1% milk, a tablespoon of sugar. IT WAS SO GOOD! I think I will be making my own smoothies from now on, rather than buying them. I have a bunch of frozen blueberries and will definitely pick up more when they go on sale this summer. Yum!

ilovepaydays

Do natural medicine recipes count? :D

Early this week, I had a really bad sore throat and allergies/sinuses and drinking this for two days cured it!

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon raw honey

Stir into about a cup of hot water. Drink while still warm.

clairecloutier

For those of us who still bake (and/or eat desserts). :) Would anyone be interested in a separate dessert thread? I'd love to hear about, or trade recipes for, favorite homemade desserts. Not fancy things, like elaborate cakes, but desserts that are fairly easy to make, yet still good.

Japanfan

Early this week, I had a really bad sore throat and allergies/sinuses and drinking this for two days cured it!

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon raw honey

Stir into about a cup of hot water. Drink while still warm.

I had a bad cold/cough and used my usual remedy, which I got from a First Nations individual:

three lemons, cut into quarters
one large piece of ginger cut into pieces
one whole clove of garlics

Boil 20 minutes then add three cinnamon sticks, boil 20 more minutes.

Strain, add ample honey, and drink hot.

ilovepaydays

Does anyone own an Instant Pot? Do you like or dislike it?

http://instantpot.com/

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Instapot!!!!!!!!! It's FANTASTIC to use to quickly do my weekly meal preps - especially things like rice, quinoa, beans/chickpeas, lentils, etc. It has made my Sundays lazy. :D

Has anyone tried Omaha Steaks? There's what looks like an amazing deal (enter DEAL in the search box) and I think I will order it if the quality is good.

icie

Keeping up appearances
Has anyone tried Omaha Steaks? There's what looks like an amazing deal (enter DEAL in the search box) and I think I will order it if the quality is good.

My parents send me gift boxes of Omaha Steaks. I think they're ok, but I wouldn't buy them myself.

ETA - the sides are good especially the potatoes & I like the apple dumplings

Last edited:

algonquin

I have been asked to bring a couple of salads to a family gathering in July. I'd like to try something new. Anyone have a recipe that would like to share?

gk_891

Anemone

I have been asked to bring a couple of salads to a family gathering in July. I'd like to try something new. Anyone have a recipe that would like to share?

I was at a potluck not too long ago where someone brought a greek-inspired pasta salad that everyone raved about. She added diced red bell pepper, cucumber, red onion & tomatoes, plus some sliced black olives and feta cheese, and tossed with greek dressing.

Spun Silver

IDK if i posted this before, but it's a pearl couscous salad. Cook per instructions on box and bring to room temp. Add radicchio, crumbled feta and kalamata olives in whatever proportions you like. Dress with olive oil and white wine vinegar. It's unusual and always well received.

Japanfan

I make a wonderful orzo salad that I highly recommend. I don't know the proportions, as I just intuit them, but it's easy in this case as you can taste as you go along. The recipe is very forgiving in terms of proportions, and you can dress the dressing as you go to get it perfect.

The salad includes orzo, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and roasted pine nuts.

The dressing is made of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar, equal parts, with fresh ground pepper and chopped garlic mixed in.

quartz

scratching at the light
Sorry, in case its been discussed, but I don't follow this thread as I don't cook much - but does anyone have a good and simple potato salad recipe? I will be using the cute little baby potatoes so I can skip having to peel and cut them up. help?

algonquin

Many "Dijon style" mustards have a grainy texture; using whole mustard seeds.
Took another look and the recipe calls for a grainy mustard and Dijon. Hmmm, I wonder if that is an error. I'd stick with a tablespoon of Dijon. 2 tablespoons of mustard seems like a lot.

Spun Silver

I would use the two T without fear. Dijon mustard is usually smooth IME. Grainy mustard does not have whole mustard seeds in it - that would be inedible. It does have visible dark specks which I suppose are bit of ground mustard seed, or perhaps pepper. Neither one of them is baseball-park yellow. Anyway, mustard is a great ingredient in vinaigrettes, and you will need a lot of dressing for 28 potatoes, even small ones. So it sounds fine to me, unless you just hate mustard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information