Cipres accused of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

believed

Background article in USA Today new Dec 13th

Thank you for this link. This article states that Christine Brennan received the tip on August 10 and then spent August until December investigating the story - talking to the parents, the tutor, and the therapist.

Japanfan

To defend @Japanfan - there are indeed trans activists who take it to an extreme, attacking The Vagina Monologues for being transphobic and insisting on the right of biological men to be in women’s’ safe spaces like women’s shelters.

Thanks, but I'm not sure what I'm being defended for? :confused:

I said there may be women who prefer private female-only bathrooms (excluding male-to-female trans) because they have been sexually abused or harassed. Having a biological male in the bathroom or what was previously a biologically gendered space could be traumatizing/frightening to these women. And I noted that problem is dealt with well here by giving trans persons their own bathroom, often shared with disabled. Now, if that's a problem for trans, I'll listen.

And that I prefer 'Women and Gender Studies' to 'Gender and Women Studies'. Or better, that women retain their own discipline 'Women's Studies'.

'Gender and Women's Studies' puts women second (remember The Second Sex?). Every time women make an advancement (e.g. their own academic discipline), they get sidelined or pushed back. This is brilliantly documented by Susan Faludi in her book 'Backlash: The War Against American Women'. At present we are in time of particularly important advancement for women. Will it be different it that has no backlash? I hope so, but doubt it.

I am not addressing trans issues directly in any of the posts above. My focus is on women. One has to pick one's battles.

I do think that women who have been women biologically since birth have experienced the world differently than someone who at least started in a male body, but this is OT.

That was the case made by a facility here called 'Rape Relief and Women's Shelter'.

A man who identified as female wanted to volunteer at the facility, but was rejected because he would still have experienced male privilege and entitlement growing up. And therefore truly could not emphasize with or support female victims of rape. IIRC the man took the facility to court, and lost.

nimi

Thanks, but I'm not sure what I'm being defended for? :confused:

I said there may be women who prefer private female-only bathrooms (excluding male-to-female trans) because they have been sexually abused or harassed. Having a biological male in the bathroom or what was previously a biologically gendered space could be traumatizing/frightening to these women. And I noted that problem is dealt with well here by giving trans persons their own bathroom, often shared with disabled. Now, if that's a problem for trans, I'll listen.

And that I prefer 'Women and Gender Studies' to 'Gender and Women Studies'. Or better, that women retain their own discipline 'Women's Studies'.

'Gender and Women's Studies' puts women second (remember The Second Sex?). Every time women make an advancement (e.g. their own academic discipline), they get sidelined or pushed back. This is brilliantly documented by Susan Faludi in her book 'Backlash: The War Against American Women'. At present we are in time of particularly important advancement for women. Will it be different it that has no backlash? I hope so, but doubt it.

I am not addressing trans issues directly in any of the posts above. My focus is on women. One has to pick one's battles.

That was the case made by a facility here called 'Rape Relief and Women's Shelter'.

A man who identified as female wanted to volunteer at the facility, but was rejected because he would still have experienced male privilege and entitlement growing up. And therefore truly could not emphasize with or support female victims of rape. IIRC the man took the facility to court, and lost.
OMG so much misgendering and misconceptions here that I don't even know where to start... @Japanfan, if you are actually interested in more in-depth discussion about this subject (that has nothing to do with Ciprès) maybe message me? I don't want to totally derail this thread.

Thank you @Sedge for posting the Backstory! It does clear up some things.

nikjil

Background article in USA Today new Dec 13th

Great article. I would highly recommend She Said by the two NY Times journalists who broke the Harvey Weinstein story. It’s a great read and really explains the amount of work serious journalists do before they break a story like this.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Step away from the thread overnight, and it goes down the drain.... 🤷‍♂️

I feel sorry for the girls and for Vanessa James. :(
Well from the start of this conversation and seing the highly polarizing subject matter, there was a fat chance this thread wouldn't go down the drain if we're honest. But hey, it still worth debating over and maybe get some things across.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

I'm 17, and I've received plenty of random messages from creepy older guys through both Twitter and Instagram. I only post selfies occasionally on Instagram stories, and I don't even post any photos of myself on Twitter, but I've had 3 or 4 men send me random DMs saying "I want to get to know you" or "I want to be friends!" One of them even continued trying to talk to me after I told him I was underage and it would be illegal in my country (he said he was 23). I literally just use my Twitter to talk about skating, movies, music, and human rights.
My user pic has never been my actual face (usually I use a photo of one of my favorite skaters), so I'm assuming they think it's me. But I've never done anything to provoke them to "slide into my DMs". It's completely random. Thankfully, I've never received any pics, but it's still disgusting.
Imagine if it was actually a guy you knew, who trained at your rink. It makes me sick to think of it.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
If someone identifies as female, they are not a man. This is one step away from saying people claim they're trans in order to get volleyball scholarships.

And "emphasize [sic] with" . . . Aren't you an editor for a living?

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Rather, I was referring to a girl/woman seeing biological male [in a restroom]

how would anyone know this person was assigned male at birth? I don’t get it

Please understand that my post didn't reflect any negative views of trans - I don't have any. My focus is on women.

Trans women are women. Sorry but if you have focus on women, it’s also on trans women. Feminism should include ALL women.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Having a biological male in the bathroom or what was previously a biologically gendered space could be traumatizing/frightening to these women. And I noted that problem is dealt with well here by giving trans persons their own bathroom, often shared with disabled. Now, if that's a problem for trans, I'll listen.
(1) If you are in a bathroom with people wearing clothes, then all you would see is a woman. Maybe you like to go to nudiest bathrooms but in all the bathrooms I go to, I have no idea the state of anyone's genitals.
(2) Yes, it's a problem for trans people to be forced to go to some special bathroom for a host of reasons

Or better, that women retain their own discipline 'Women's Studies'.
Trans women are women so Women's Studies includes them.

However, we are talking about an academic discipline and you can't talk about the history of Women and Women in Society without talking about the issues of gender so including gender in the name is accurate and academics should be accurate.

how would anyone know this person was assigned male at birth? I don’t get it

Trans women are women. Sorry but if you have focus on women, it’s also on trans women. Feminism should include ALL women.
SO MUCH THIS.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I'm 17, and I've received plenty of random messages from creepy older guys through both Twitter and Instagram. I only post selfies occasionally on Instagram stories, and I don't even post any photos of myself on Twitter, but I've had 3 or 4 men send me random DMs saying "I want to get to know you" or "I want to be friends!" One of them even continued trying to talk to me after I told him I was underage and it would be illegal in my country (he said he was 23). I literally just use my Twitter to talk about skating, movies, music, and human rights.
My user pic has never been my actual face (usually I use a photo of one of my favorite skaters), so I'm assuming they think it's me. But I've never done anything to provoke them to "slide into my DMs". It's completely random. Thankfully, I've never received any pics, but it's still disgusting.
Imagine if it was actually a guy you knew, who trained at your rink. It makes me sick to think of it.

Social media IMO is a very dangerous place. Anyone can say anything. Of course men are responding to you, trolling, seeing how far they can take something. It is naive to think otherwise.

On a social media site you can be whoever you want to be, say whatever you want to say with absolutely no accountability for your actions. You can hurt, bully, tease, pretend and send disgusting pictures. When one says the pictures are unsolicited it is only partially correct. Sure one did not say....O send me a picture of your privates. But by engaging in conversations with people you do not know you leave yourself open for whatever you get.

Now, this has nothing to do with the 13 year old girl, this is not blaming the victim, nor condoning nasty pictures. Simply a statement of fact. Social media has changed society.

AxelAnnie

Well from the start of this conversation and seeing the highly polarizing subject matter, there was a fat chance this thread wouldn't go down the drain if we're honest. But hey, it still worth debating over and maybe get some things across.
I have learned stuff. Hopefully things get across in on all sides of the issues.

barbarafan

AxelAnnie

only if you are looking into the closed stall and then you are fcuking invading another person's privacy.
True. I think I was extrapolating into Gym Showers.....well except for leaving the toilet seat up, and hearing pee coming from a stall with feet (which you can see under the door) facing the wrong way.

IMO bathrooms, showers, etc should require you to match with the plumbing you currently have.

Sparks

This is ignorant and disgusting. I have two trans friends. One is now a woman, one is now a man. If my woman friend went into a men's bathroom, she'd be scared. If my man friend went into a woman's bathroom, he'd scare the women.
There is NO WAY TO KNOW what someone's original "plumbing" is.

AxelAnnie

This is ignorant and disgusting. I have two trans friends. One is now a woman, one is now a man. If my woman friend went into a men's bathroom, she'd be scared. If my man friend went into a woman's bathroom, he'd scare the women.
There is NO WAY TO KNOW what someone's original "plumbing" is.
Are you talking about after re-assignment surgery? In which case you would be correct.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Social media IMO is a very dangerous place. Anyone can say anything. Of course men are responding to you, trolling, seeing how far they can take something. It is naive to think otherwise.
А fake account for the waze rides application. It doesn't have my name, it doesn't have my gender, it doesn't have my age and the only picture there is is of a dandelion. Received at least 3 sleazy messages from men (ok, perhaps they were a really lame artificial intelligence projects, but still..)

Judy

А fake account for the waze rides application. It doesn't have my name, it doesn't have my gender, it doesn't have my age and the only picture there is is of a dandelion. Received at least 3 sleazy messages from men (ok, perhaps they were a really lame artificial intelligence projects, but still..)

yup I have my FB on every restriction and don’t use Twitter, Instagram etc although that’s just because fb is enough for me. Teenagers etc are more at risk.

MsZem

I see the sea
How did this become a thread about the experiences of trans women?

Who are women, obviously - though ones with a different set of experiences than those who were raised and socialized as women (not that there is a uniform experience for women of any kind).

antmanb

True. I think I was extrapolating into Gym Showers.....well except for leaving the toilet seat up, and hearing pee coming from a stall with feet (which you can see under the door) facing the wrong way.

IMO bathrooms, showers, etc should require you to match with the plumbing you currently have.
You’re a disgusting ignorant excuse for a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information