Chris Knierim to retire - Alexa to seek new partner

chantilly

It’s obviously the right decision for various reasons.

I wish her the best on finding a new partner but it’s going to be a challenge based on her age and the time frame left to gel with another partner

I can’t imagine she wants to go all the way to 2026.

PairSkater12345

Alexa would be very fortunate to get any one of the big three pairs guys. I think DL is totally wrong about Dannys strength. He's careful about the throws and it's a timing problem with the twist not strength. Watch some of the competition vid's. He's a beast, stronger than the other two, look at that Turkish getup vid that was floating around.:D DL is right about Brandon he is strong with strong pairs skills not as proficient a jumper as the other two. As far as lifts, it's a toss up between Danny and Brandon both with complex elements. From season to season you can see Danny and Brandon doing new variations of complex elements difficult entry ect. and they both have long term partners where the balance is highly proficient. I think Tim has very good lifts over all, he is in a situation where he can't showcase those skills. Danny and Tim were very good singles skaters, both have all the triples and I've seen both of these guys do triple triples in the past year or two. That's world class, very few pairs guys are on that level with jumps. Somebody said Brandon won't leave Haven unless she retires (ITA). That would be the only condition where Brandon would consider a try out. Similar to Alexa's situation. He wouldn't have much to loose at that point. There's no way Tim will be leaving his current partner. He's got it too good with all the USFSA support that team is getting. As far as risk (barring their pair partner retirement) any one of the three pairs would be taking an enormous chance making a change.

This might not be a popular statement but it's true. Besides a world class twist (maybe the best in the world), Alexa would be taking a step up with all the other elements including skating skills with all three of these guys.

Alexa's choice to continue skating is a fragile situation IMHO and one wonders why any of those three with good partners would take a chance. You can weigh the improvements required with their current partners with some significant unknowns. Is she really committed for two years? As rightly so husband comes first. Will she call it quits if the transition is difficult? She is used to a life partner pair situation. Tough to balance that with a new partnership. All these choices are going to require big adjustments and hyper fast progress as it takes more than two years to really jell. Way too much risk vs reward for Danny, Brandon and Tim. USFSA doesn't like breaking up Pairs teams. Those who think this is just a coach to coach conversation are mistaken. If it would happen at all, Not going to happen without considerable discussion at the highest levels.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Did they look at any hockey players? I feel like I heard of a hockey player getting into pairs skating once and ending up with an olympic gold. :)

:rofl:

I listened as well. You wrote a beautiful summary. But you're much nicer than DL.

Tee hee... Indeed, plus the U.S. pairs speculation fodder DL is working with just ain't as OTT dramatic and bitchy as his TAT vs Eteri vs Plushy self-important tongue-in-cheek newsy nothing podcast shtick episodes... Though DL always finds a way to make fs snark out of thin air.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Alexa on her IG stories posting landing triple loop, triple toe, triple salchow and double axels. Her triple loop was awesome too.. high, snap, speed, Distance and great landing position..

I know, it was amazing I had to ask her if that was her because it was just so amazing to see all these different triples

❄️💅🏻💌

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I know, it was amazing I had to ask her if that was her because it was just so amazing to see all these different triples

💅🏻💌

It's a nice reminder that Alexa is quite talented. That said, would she even want to be considered responsible for breaking up an established pair? They all seem fairly friendly?

I do wish both Knierims massive success moving forward. Agreed with everyone who's noted how powerful it is for Chris to be so open with this. I can't help but root for Alexa to knock it out the park.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Alexa on her IG stories posting landing triple loop, triple toe, triple salchow and double axels. Her triple loop was awesome too.. high, snap, speed, Distance and great landing position..
But not in a program and with a partner, right?

IMHO she either won't find a partner...or if she does she won't last out the year.

when there's a situation like this with a partner change what happens with the Grand Prix assignments?

PairSkater12345

But not in a program and with a partner, right?

IMHO she either won't find a partner...or if she does she won't last out the year.

when there's a situation like this with a partner change what happens with the Grand Prix assignments?

She will find a partner. It will be interesting. Who will take the gamble?

Depends on the collective points of both partners.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
That said, would she even want to be considered responsible for breaking up an established pair? They all seem fairly friendly?

We don't know, but I think the only way Alexa will partner with a male from an established U.S. pair team is if that pair happen to be having concerns that end up with the female partner willingly deciding to retire. I think that rules out Danny and Timothy. The only reason I thought about Brandon is because of Haven's struggles with getting back to full strength and confidence on her jumps, after her serious knee injury.

But once again, this is pure speculation. Brandon and Haven have been through a lot together, and they may wish to never part. Some have suggested that Alexa already has a commitment from someone, and it won't be revealed until after Worlds. We have to wait and see.

concorde

I remember an article a little while ago that Chris had to sell some of his special cars to finance their training. That couldn't of been good. Also it seems men pairs skaters burn out first. All the stress on the body. The lifts, the throws, must take their ntoll.
So why do the men burn our before the ladies? I know the me go through boots faster since the boots carry 2 skaters, not just one. But I would think that the ladies would be more prone to injuries due to the lifts and throw. Hmmm ...

PairSkater12345

We don't know, but I think the only way Alexa will partner with a male from an established U.S. pair team is if that pair happen to be having concerns that end up with the female partner willingly deciding to retire. I think that rules out Danny and Timothy. The only reason I thought about Brandon is because of Haven's struggles with getting back to full strength and confidence on her jumps, after her serious knee injury.

But once again, this is pure speculation. Brandon and Haven have been through a lot together, and they may wish to never part. Some have suggested that Alexa already has a commitment from someone, and it won't be revealed until after Worlds. We have to wait and see.

PairSkater12345

If you are talking about one of the guys making the decision based on their partner then maybe. If you are talking about
Alexa's decision she could give a rip about the other lady partners. She is in it to win period.

soogar

So why do the men burn our before the ladies? I know the me go through boots faster since the boots carry 2 skaters, not just one. But I would think that the ladies would be more prone to injuries due to the lifts and throw. Hmmm ...

Don’t underestimate the force placed on a man’s body with the lifts and throws. They are very hard on the shoulders and shoulders are a very vulnerable joint. Plus the guys also have to jump triple jumps.

nimi

The latest episode of IceTalk features an interview with Alexa & Chris.

aftershocks

Banned Member
This woman has decided she wants to go back to the Olympics. I don’t think she’ll hesitate to break up a pair.

Alexa is not all powerful, with magic tricks up her sleeve. She may be determined to get back to the Olympics, but if it happens, it will happen with someone who is available and willing. Personally, I don't foresee bad blood happening among U.S. pairs teams, due to an 'unwilling' split designed to fulfill Alexa's hopes and dreams.

Carolla5501

So here's the question. Male Skater A, who is a good pair skater that could potentially get her to the Olympics calls Alexa and says "I want to be your partner". Alexa asks what about Partner of A. A responds "I'll dump her for you" What does Alexa do (1) "No I don't want to break up a pair" or (2) "C'mon and lets try out"?

Some posters seem to think it's "1". I think it's 2 followed by "It works, dump that girl and let's get started".

aftershocks

Banned Member
Male Skater A, who is a good pair skater that could potentially get her to the Olympics calls Alexa and says "I want to be your partner".

The million dollar question in your scenario is: "Who is Male Skater A" ??? :watch:

If that's the case, it would be this mystery male skater doing the 'behind-the-back scheming' and splitting up a partnership!

ETA:
The other part about this is, if it comes right down to it, U.S. fed could convene all top U.S. pairs teams and request an open, above-board work-out, try-out with incentives to entice and ameliorate in hopes of obtaining the best partner for Alexa among current top U.S. male skaters. They might also be looking far and wide among all physically suitable male skaters with some pairs experience who are also U.S. citizens.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

ETA:
The other part about this is, if it comes right down to it, U.S. fed could convene all top U.S. pairs teams and request an open, above-board work-out, try-out with incentives to entice and ameliorate in hopes of obtaining the best partner for Alexa among current top U.S. male skaters. They might also be looking far and wide among all physically suitable male skaters with some pairs experience who are also U.S. citizens.

This might happen in China. Not here. LOL.

aftershocks

Banned Member
This might happen in China. Not here. LOL.

Ummm, what are your sources telling you Claire? :COP: I'm halfway joking of course, since you aren't in a position to reveal any insider stuff you might be privy to. :D

Personally, I'm perfectly willing to wait and see what transpires. But the continued speculative comments on here do often require a bit of push-back. Thanks for your push-back on my 'above-board' scenario in response to Carolla's 'under-handed' scenario. :lol:

Seriously, what are your thoughts? It's actually hard to know what to think in this situation, because clearly any hook-up for Alexa is possible, despite the obvious ruling out of guys who are in relatively successful, long-term partnerships, or exciting recently formed, on-the-move partnerships.

Last edited:

skylark

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel Alexa isn't that much better than Tarah, Haven, Ashley, etc.? I feel like all these top US pair ladies are on about the same level, so switching Haven for Alexa, for instance, may not make Brandon Frazier's career any better.

It isn't just you. Alexa has her strengths, and the other ladies have their strengths. A pair is about how well two people's qualities mesh to make a team. Not just about individual talent. I especially agree that a switch may not make Brandon's, Tim's or Danny's career any better.

How will a pair's personality traits mesh? Which partner takes the lead, or will it be more equal? Can their technique on various elements and their artistic vision match up? Can they withstand new alterations, and how much time will all that take?

In regard to what Chinese fed did, it made the transitions easier that they all had learned the same technique. That switch hasn't -- at least not yet -- given the advantage to Zhang Hao, whom it was (presumably?) meant to benefit. It's been much better for Peng/Jin. Be careful what you wish for or try to manipulate into being ....

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel Alexa isn't that much better than Tarah, Haven, Ashley, etc.? I feel like all these top US pair ladies are on about the same level, so switching Haven for Alexa, for instance, may not make Brandon Frazier's career any better.

An interesting point, but in actuality, Haven has her 'knee-injury' drawbacks, which are still hampering her confidence and consistency on jumps. Otherwise, not much separates Haven's and Alexa's abilities as badass pairs girls! Just sayin'. Check 'em both out on their best lifts, throws, and twists! :watch:

I think any issues Alexa has had with sbs jumps are more mental and timing related, not injury-related, thus more readily fixable than what Haven has been facing and trying to conquer.

Respectfully, Alexa has more pair-girl tech-pop than Ashley (albeit they both have grit and diva sass). This is due to Alexa's smaller size relative to her former partner, Chris. As well, Alexa is vastly superior to Tarah in skating skills and tech-pop (albeit they both have chutzpah and diva realness). ;)

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain

The men skating pairs (and also ice dance) who I personally know often have issues with their knees, hips and backs due to all the lifting.

Carolla5501

Id say that right now Alexa is probably a better partner than Haven. And it’s really because of that knee. But I’m not sure that Haven is ever going to get her triple jumps back As I said when I watched her at nationals she went to the jump and it didn’t look like a pop to me, it look like she went into the jumps planning on only doing doubles

PairSkater12345

I didn't realize skaters who aren't controlled by Federations who are paying the bills could break up anything but their own partnership.
True, the choice to break up is always with the individual teams. Encouragement from a high level skater in this case Alexa could help tip the scales. Face it they all want to win big. Put it this way the female partners for the big three teams don't want Alexa contacting their male partners. By the way at this level USFSA pays a lot of bills for these teams.

Carolla5501

I didn't realize skaters who aren't controlled by Federations who are paying the bills could break up anything but their own partnership.

Depends. Over the years there have been some reliable poaching stories. Especially if the female skater’s family is offering a “scholarship”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information