Chris Knierim to retire - Alexa to seek new partner

Yuri

Thrilled that Jessica and Brian are going to Worlds, but not THIS way! But it seems that Chris is making the right decision for him and partner, and I pray that he can address his issues with depression. Hopefully Alexa can find a quality partner, it's tough to get together within two years for an Olympic run, but yes in pairs anything is possible!

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I'm saddened I won't be seeing their triple twist live at Worlds; it always made me gasp when I saw it from the stands or on TV.

And while I am sorry Chris is going through all this, it's good to be reminded that skating problems and depression are not gender specific.

Carolla5501

Aljona found one. And it's not like Alexa is aiming for an individual OGM.

Aljiona had longer to work with. She teamed up with her partner in 2014, 4 years before the Games. And he didn't get German citizenship until November 2017.

Sadly Alexa has about 22 months before the 2022 US Nationals. I feel for her. I think it would have been better to have come to this decision this fall, but I understand why he felt he had to keep going.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
No surprise but still sad.

On the positive side, C/J are going to Worlds...but, to be honest, they should have been named to Worlds originally, along with the Ks.

As for a new partner for Alexa, whoever he may be, I hope that he is:

1. a US citizen from the get-go

and

2. significantly taller than Alexa.

Flip Jump

I’m really proud that Chris has spoken about his depression struggles and that Alexa was able to let him retire with dignity. I was at Nationals and he just didn’t seem into being there. I think with the right partner she could make it back to Olympics, as long as we can secure 2 places. thrilled for Jessica & Brian. Brian grew up in our area and we have seen him since he was 10 years grow into a great pairs skater.

aml78

At nationals I looked at Chris and said “he’s not in it. He’s doing it for Alexa.” This explains so much. I’m glad he didn’t push himself to finish the season. Finding a new partner who is a US citizen is a long shot. I wish she had more time to work with because I think with her talent she could have made 2022 happen. I just don’t think the US has the male talent to match her right now.

blue_idealist

There's also Ian Meyh, if he's interested in continuing skating. I can't remember if he officially retired or not after splitting with Chelsia Liu.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
It was brave of him to make this decision, and then explain the reasons publicly. My heart goes out to both Chris and Alexa. Depression is tough, and can take awhile to even recognize in yourself. I'm glad they seem to have an open relationship where they can communicate honestly.

I know people often derided them as "married," but that aspect was always so obvious in their chemistry together, which to me, set them so far apart from the other US Pairs. It was also so apparent in the few quotes from this article. I wish them the best.

Perky Shae Lynn

I am shocked and heart broken. Rumors have been circulating for a while, but I didn't want to believe them. Wishing the best to Chris and Alexa. Ugh.

ps. My first thought was Sasha Zaboev, but I don't think he's skated competitively in a while. And his skating was never on the same level as Chris' from what I remember.

SkateFanBerlin

I remember an article a little while ago that Chris had to sell some of his special cars to finance their training. That couldn't of been good. Also it seems men pairs skaters burn out first. All the stress on the body. The lifts, the throws, must take their ntoll.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Well, part of what was great about the Knierims - what allowed them to shine in throws and lifts - was the one-foot height difference (5’2” and 6’ 2”). How and where will she find a partner of 6’2” and (preferably) with US citizenship? Not to be a Debbie Downer...

Whatever happened to that “T.J.” guy...TJ Nyman, I think. Didn’t his partnership with Sarah Feng end early this season??? He’s 6’1”-6’2”. Dalilah was coach. If age difference is not a problem...the Fonteyn and Nureyev of the ice? 😆

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Whoa did not see that coming.
I understand what they're doing and why. I have a little concerned about Alexa continuing to skate. not that she can't do it, not that you can't find another partner but what will the toll be on Chris? I would just be afraid that Alexis continuing in the sport will make it harder for for Chris to come out of his depression. He won't really be able to walk away from the sport.
What a mess,

Evanstonsktr

Well, part of what was great about the Knierims - what allowed them to shine in throws and lifts - was the one-foot height difference (5’2” and 6’ 2”). How and where will she find a partner of 6’2” and (preferably) with US citizenship? Not to be a Debbie Downer...

Whatever happened to that “T.J.” guy...TJ Nyman, I think. Didn’t his partnership with Sarah Feng end early this season??? He’s 6’1”-6’2”. Dalilah was coach.

According to the ISU biography for Feng / Nyman, TJ is 6' 1".

starrynight

Whoa did not see that coming.
I understand what they're doing and why. I have a little concerned about Alexa continuing to skate. not that she can't do it, not that you can't find another partner but what will the toll be on Chris? I would just be afraid that Alexis continuing in the sport will make it harder for for Chris to come out of his depression. He won't really be able to walk away from the sport.
What a mess,

I may well be that if Alexa finds a new partner and can enjoy training, a weight will be lifted from Chris' shoulders. The issue of him not wanting/not being able to continue when Alexa did was probably compounding across both work and home. And plus, I imagine a marriage would be so much easier if spending all day together in elite sports wasn't involved ...

Khaliavin/Monko are an example of an off ice married couple that have had a lot of success with one finding a new partner (Hurtardo) and the arrangement being successful. I expect Monko is pleased that Kiril is able to pursue his skating ambitions and she doesn't need to feel responsible for cutting his career short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information