Chock & Bates [fan thread #2]: "All Paths Have Led to This Moment"

Sylvia

TBD
More details from the press conference from Skate Info Glacé.

Thanks, was coming here to post that link. BTW it's Skate Info Glace without the accent - autocorrect? (glace means ice).

(@cholla, Solène has been really busy/productive this fall - kudos to her!)

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
^^^ Thanks, was coming here to post that link. BTW it's Skate Info Glace without the accent - autocorrect? (glace means ice).

(@cholla, Solène has been really busy/productive this fall - kudos to her!)
Yeah that was definitely autocorrect because I don’t even know how to add an accent on my phone lol.

Sylvia

TBD
Marie-France Dubreuil at Autumn Classic on Chock/Bates' preparation for the new season (excerpting from the end): https://adivinesport.com/2023/10/17/coach-spotlight-marie-france-dubreuil/

Q: Can you talk about your students Madison Chock and Evan Bates? How has their training gone during the off-season?

Dubreuil: Well, they’ve been touring quite a bit. Of course, they are World champions, and I think they wanted to tour and make money, so they can live [make a living], that’s all. That’s what you get, being the World champions. I think it was important–before they made a decision to compete again–to just take the rest from competition and to work. And when they got back, they were very excited to start fresh new programs. Of course, with Skate America [coming up], it’s a short period of preparation for the new season. But their goal is really to win Worlds again. And they know that it might not be 100% ready for the Grand Prixs, but they’re doing their best. And we’ll keep evolving through this season.

Q: That’s what happened last season with Chock and Bates, right? And it worked out. So does that experience help, because they already did it one time?

Dubreuil: Yes. We’re hoping they don’t make it that hard at the beginning of this season for themselves [i.e., compared to last season, when they had to substantially rework their free dance.] Right now, they’re in shape. They’re not injured. They’re training. So we have a plan to make them as ready as they can be. When they were touring in Japan, they were doing full programs while on tour. They were doing last year’s program, but they were fit and in shape.

Q: Were you thinking about their material–their programs–months ago?

Dubreuil: It’s maybe since June and July that we started to talk about music, concept, and the concept of the rhythm dance. They were clear on what they wanted to do. They wanted to skate to Queen [for rhythm dance]. So we have a pretty good montage edit of Queen, I think, which suits them. For the free dance, we played a little bit more with that concept, because it’s a little bit more abstract [a “time” theme to Pink Floyd]. But now it’s getting clearer and clearer, as they train it.

Sylvia

TBD
Their music is listed in their Team USA bio now: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...oster/-nbsp--madison-chock-and-evan-bates/845

2023-24 SEASON NOTES
RD Music: "Another One Bites the Dust," "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "I Want It All" by Queen
FD Music: "Time," "Breathe" and "Eclipse" by Pink Floyd

Re-posting here from the 2023 Skate America practice reports/clips thread in the K&C section:
SkatingScores has posted Peacock's video of Chock/Bates' FD run through on Twitter/X: https://twitter.com/SkatingScores/status/1715455673742307743
ETA:
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1715438750728126649
#SkateAmerica @Ben_Agosto will commentate NBC FD broadcast. Asked him, what is Chock & Bates' greatest strength? "Chemistry...on any given day Evan is the best partner, able to make Madison feel so comfortable. On any given day, she is the best performer. The synergy is special."

Allskate

I think their music choice in the FD is working great for them. Just based on the part of the program we can see in the practice video, I already am excited about this program.

ETA: For those with Peacock who want to watch the practice run-through on their tvs and don't have time to watch the entire five-hour replay, C&B's run-through is at the the 3:21 mark.

ETA: Here is a photo of them in their RD costumes. Her costume is a reinterpretation of a Freddie Mercury jacket:

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Press Conference

In which we learn C&B have been working on this dance and concept for more than a year. They are doing it this year because it is the 50th anniversary of The Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd album.

We also hear that Stéphane Lambiel has been raving to a reporter about their FD.

Last edited:

Debbie S

So happy that Madi and Evan snagged the gold at GPF. :cheer: :cheer:

I wonder if they will rethink their intention to compete at 4CC. They may not need the WS points and 4CC is so soon after the US Championships.
I'm sure they thought about that when they were planning their season. They are experienced competitors, I'm sure they and their coaches took the scheduling and travel logistics into account.

As last season showed, skipping 4CC when your closest rival is there can have consequences. Obviously, Piper couldn't help it, her health is more important, but as long as C/B are healthy and are confident in their ability to skate well in both events, it's a good idea to go.

alexikeguchi

Congratulations to Madi and Evan on their first GPF title! :cheer2:

Madi's IG post explaining their FD costumes: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0nscdPNbuG/
I really appreciate their approach to every season, and I think this is where their maturity shows. They seem to be really active in developing the entire concept of each dance with their wide ranging music choices and inspiration from other art forms in addition to Madi's engagement with the costume design process. I admire how they do something different and innovative every single year and don't take the easy path. They are true artists. I think when they hang up their competitive skates, they will make excellent coaches if that is what they desire.

Debbie S

Time to vote for the ISU Skating Awards! :fan21:

Link to vote

Madi and Evan are nominated in 3 categories: Most Valuable Skater, Best Costume (of course!), and Most Entertaining Program (for both this season's programs...which to vote for?...decisions, decisions...).

As with last year, you need to create a login to vote. There is no overall "submit" button, you just click on your choice, go back to main voting screen and should see the category box checked. You can click on it to verify it registered your vote.

olympic

Congrats on the National title despite being sick ...

The post-comp. interview w/ Andrea Joyce - Are they retiring??? They talked about deciding to compete despite illness because it might be their last Nationals ... :(

dancing_on_ice

Congrats on the National title despite being sick ...

The post-comp. interview w/ Andrea Joyce - Are they retiring??? They talked about deciding to compete despite illness because it might be their last Nationals ... :(
Doubtful, in an interview last week, they said that 2026 is their goal. They're probably just feeling very rough right now because of being sick and a poor performance.

Allskate

I was wondering the same thing.

But, in the press conference today, Madi said that, coming into the week, they weren't thinking that this would be their last Nationals. However, when they were deciding whether to skate today, she wondered what if, at the end of the season, they feel complete and that's it, would they regret not competing today, and they thought they would. So, they competed. I think that's the context for Evan's comment to Andrea Joyce. Also, Evan was really tired and not feeling well.

Debbie S

Congratulations to Madi and Evan on their 5th national title! :cheer2:

At the press conference, a reporter asked if this was the first time they competed sick....Madi said no. (Remember, they were sick at Worlds last year.) That they were able to skate as well as they did today (and at Worlds) despite being sick shows how amazing they are, both in ability and determination. They are champions. :respec:

But I hope they can now rest until they have recovered.

olympic

I was wondering the same thing.

But, in the press conference today, Madi said that, coming into the week, they weren't thinking that this would be their last Nationals. However, when they were deciding whether to skate today, she wondered what if, at the end of the season, they feel complete and that's it, would they regret not competing today, and they thought they would. So, they competed. I think that's the context for Evan's comment to Andrea Joyce. Also, Evan was really tired and not feeling well.

Doubtful, in an interview last week, they said that 2026 is their goal. They're probably just feeling very rough right now because of being sick and a poor performance.
Thank you both.

There was a limited discussion on Twitter and someone posted that C/B would retire because they were afraid of the Russians coming back. Of course, I had to respond. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information