Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

Boyang Jin debuted his SP ("First Light" by Cinematic Pop, feat. Spencer Jones): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkuUqigSBY4
54.66 (TES)+45.40 (PCS)=100.06

The video was shot from a long perspective and one can't see Boyang's face close up.

I thought it was quite a beautiful program in terms of movement, and had I not known it was Boyang, would not have thought it has him. He is clearly working on his grace and fluidity. I fully expect him to earn a medal in the Olympics at home in 2022, and expect he'll doing everything he possibly can do to achieve that.

Han Yan brought back his Olympic season SP ("A Thousand Years" by Boyce Avenue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ywwJJBHHA
46.89 (TES)+43.40 (PCS)=90.29

:cheer2: I loves me some Han Yan! There is something gentle and soulful about his skating.

I've always been a fan of Chinese skaters generally. Looking forward to having two Chinese boys to root for this upcoming season!

Dobre

Sorry, it's late; and I didn't realize none of the LP scores were combined with the SP ones. Edited above, though it is even later now so might have missed something else.

Japanfan

This link was posted in Boyang Jin's fan thread:
This link was posted in Boyang Jin's fan thread:

Couldn't post above when I gave the links - weird.

I thought that was quite a beautiful performance. Boyang has an inner child artiste and is enjoying letting that child out to play. He seems to be really feeling the music. It's as if he always could before, but never really bothered to.

I look forward to seeing Boing-boingm do less boing-goinging and continuing to grow artistically.

RoseRed

This was his last year's LP, so maybe he's keeping it?
No, I don't think so. They list the music as Hable con ella, and he's wearing that costume, but it's not the same music or choreo as last year when you actually watch it.

RoseRed

@skateboy posted this link to his new FS to "Hable con ella" (from the Pedro Almodovar film soundtrack by Alberto Iglesias?; choreo. by Benoit Richaud) in Boyang Jin's fan thread yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoowj07d7M (same YT account as for his SP video posted above)
Total score: 275.76
I'm pretty sure this is not Hable con ella, although that's what they list. He had announced his new FS was to
"Yellow Moon" and “Wait for Me” by Luca D'Alberto. I haven't listened to them back to back, but it did sound like it could be that.

Kateri

void beast
I'm pretty sure this is not Hable con ella, although that's what they list. He had announced his new FS was to
"Yellow Moon" and “Wait for Me” by Luca D'Alberto. I haven't listened to them back to back, but it did sound like it could be that.
Yes, sounds like this to me, too. (I hadn't watched the video till now!)

Marco

According to this article, Yan Han has rediscovered his passion for skating and motivation for training. He is now skating because he enjoys it, not because it is his job. He says he is 60% back in form and aims for BJ 2022.

Marco

Update on Zhang Dan - she now stars in an ice show that is inspired by her own athletic story and the show even has the famous scene where she fell at Turino in 2006.

J

Jeschke

Update on Zhang Dan - she now stars in an ice show that is inspired by her own athletic story and the show even has the famous scene where she fell at Turino in 2006.
Great to get some updates about Dan Zhang.
I am not sure if I want to know, how scary splat is included in the show 🆘

Who is her mal skating partner in the show?

She was one of a kind, pushing the technical sbs for ladies in pairs!

To remember the old days, my favourite program, this SP was so good:

Japanfan

She was one of a kind, pushing the technical sbs for ladies in pairs!

I used to wonder if Dan actually liked FS, because she usually looked unhappy to me on the ice.

If she is in an ice show, she must have some fondness for the sport.

Good to hear about the store.

IIRC, the Fed wasn't kind to Dan after her retirement in terms of opportunities. But that is a very vague memory minus any details.

clairecloutier

An interview with Wenjing Sui came out in May, but I don't think it was ever posted here. An English translation is at this site: https://fivecentimeterspersecond.tu...erview-with-sui-wenjing-with-xu-lijia-english

Of particular note in this interview: Sui says she suffered the worst fall of her career prior to Worlds this year. Cong Han missed the catch on a triple twist in practice, and Sui fell directly onto the ice, almost hitting her head. She had to take several days off afterward from training. I'm thinking this accident probably explains why coach Hongbo Zhao downplayed their chances at Worlds before that event.

Either way, I was a bit shocked reading this, as well as, obviously, concerned for Sui. It's a reminder how dangerous pairs skating can be, even for the most experienced teams in the world. :eek:

natsulian

An interview with Wenjing Sui came out in May, but I don't think it was ever posted here. An English translation is at this site: https://fivecentimeterspersecond.tu...erview-with-sui-wenjing-with-xu-lijia-english

Of particular note in this interview: Sui says she suffered the worst fall of her career prior to Worlds this year. Cong Han missed the catch on a triple twist in practice, and Sui fell directly onto the ice, almost hitting her head. She had to take several days off afterward from training. I'm thinking this accident probably explains why coach Hongbo Zhao downplayed their chances at Worlds before that event.

Either way, I was a bit shocked reading this, as well as, obviously, concerned for Sui. It's a reminder how dangerous pairs skating can be, even for the most experienced teams in the world. :eek:
Mad respect for Wenjing Sui. Figure skating in general is immensely dangerous and for her and Cong Han to have put out the performances they did in such circumstances showcases just how strong they are. Now let us get in a circle for their best health leading to Beijing 2022.

Japanfan

Mad respect for Wenjing Sui.

She's had great role models, particularly Zhue Shen. And the inspiration and vision of Yao Bin. As Bin moves towards retirement brings a more pragmatic and business-like vision to pairs in China, IMO. Which is appropriate, given that Bin had to create China's pairs school from the ground-up. Now that the school is established, there is a system for identifying potential pair skaters and then training them up, should they work out.

The evolution of pairs in China is a remarkable story IMO. In reflecting on his inspiration to start the school, Bin Yao remembered being so bad on the ice in 1980/81 that the audience actually laughed at him and his partner. He and his partner learned pairs skating from watching videos of Russian pairs! They were just so not trained - Bin Yao said that once his partner got on the ice with coins in her pockets, and the coins went flying all over the ice during a lift!

And when Shen/Zhao were introduced to the pairs failed in 1990/1991, they could only use Chinese music and I don't think they were allowed to train abroad.

Of course, the Chinese fed eventually figured out that a more flexible and open-minded attitude was needed to create champions.

Tinami Amori

I did not see this posted in the last few pages. There is a video special about a young Chinese Junior lady, she is working on making it to 2022 Olympics and her relationship with parents/father who is coaching her. (my understanding that she is now 13, and will be old enough for 2022 olympics, but not sure 100%)

An Ziangyi (Nini) - her story in 2015

Her performance this past season:

She is also a competitive dancer:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I did not see this posted in the last few pages. There is a video special about a young Chinese Junior lady, she is working on making it to 2022 Olympics and her relationship with parents/father who is coaching her. (my understanding that she is now 13, and will be old enough for 2022 olympics, but not sure 100%)

An Ziangyi (Nini) - her story in 2015

Her performance this past season:

She is also a competitive dancer:

Thank you for posting! She's not 13 yet (born in December 2006) thus not eligible for 2022 Olympics. We shall see her at next year's JGP though.

Tinami Amori

Thank you for posting! She's not 13 yet (born in December 2006) thus not eligible for 2022 Olympics. We shall see her at next year's JGP though.
Please help me out if you can with correct information, because there is a discussion about this going on in a non-english language forum: You said she was born in Dec. 2006. there is information that in China when a baby is born he/she is considered already a 1-year old (for the time spent in the womb), and thus the age at the time of birth is already accounts for 1 year. is this correct? or is this correct for athletic purposes?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Please help me out if you can with correct information, because there is a discussion about this going on in a non-english language forum: You said she was born in Dec. 2006. there is information that in China when a baby is born he/she is considered already a 1-year old (for the time spent in the womb), and thus the age at the time of birth is already accounts for 1 year. is this correct? or is this correct for athletic purposes?

Copy and paste from this Wikipedia page

East Asian age reckoning originated in China and continues in limited use there along with Tibet and Japan, but is still common in Korea. People are born at the age of one, i.e. the first year of lifetime using ordinal number (instead of "zero" using cardinal number), and on Chinese New Year or New Year's Day one year is added to their age.[1][2] Since age is incremented at the beginning of the lunar or solar year, rather than on the anniversary of a birthday, people may be one or two years older in Asian reckoning than in the international age system.

Clearly this way of age reckoning would cause confusion - for example, an infant born on new year's eve would be two the next day! Therefore only the real age is used when comes to 'official' purposes.

Tinami Amori

Copy and paste from this Wikipedia page

Clearly this way of age reckoning would cause confusion - for example, an infant born on new year's eve would be two the next day! Therefore only the real age is used when comes to 'official' purposes.
Thank you! that explains why posters from the Asian region are arguing that she can be considered 13 already.

sammyf

Senior Pairs

Weijia HE / Junming HUANG
Jiaxi (Chelsea) LIU / Zhong XIE
Feiyao TANG / Yongchao YANG
Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG
Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG
Yuyao ZHANG / Yunzhi GUO
Lu ZHENG / Lei ZHU

Junior Pairs

Jiaen LI / Zijian WANG
Motong LIU / Tianze WANG
Huidi WANG / Ziqi JIA
Yuchen WANG / Yihang HUANG
Yixi YANG / Shunyuyao DENG
Jiaxuan ZHANG / Zhiyu WANG
Daizifei ZHU / Yuhang LIU

Novice Pairs

Ai ZHAO / Shan GAO

Would you be able to post the pairs results from this is possible? Thank you.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Would you be able to post the pairs results from this is possible? Thank you.

Senior

1 Tang / Yang 192.96
2 Wang / Wang 166.66
3 Liu / Xie 161.44
4 Zheng / Zhu 93.55
5 Zhang / Guo 83.64
6 He / Huang 55.57

Yu / Zhang withdrew due to his injury.

Junior

1 Wang / Huang 159.03 (Assigned to JGP Lake Placid)
2 Wang / Jia 147.68 (Assigned to JGP Lake Placid)
3 Liu / Wang 115.32
4 Li / Wang 111.22
5 Zhu / Liu 87.96
6 Zhang / Wang 74.55
7 Yang / Deng 64.81

Novice

1 Zhao / Gao 24.27

ETA: I think Chinese fed used the result from Hailar to determine early JGP assignment. Aside from pairs, Yudong CHEN, Hengxin JIN and Xizi CHEN / Jianing XING won the junior competition of their disciplines respectively and earned their spots at JGP Courchevel. Not sure why the third pair spot at Lake Placid was left unused though.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I would think the ISU and other sporting federations implementing age limits would use the "international age system" where they just calculate based on the actual date of birth with "1" starting 365 days after the actual DOB (or 366 in a leap year). I know it might be a problem if some countries (or regions within countries) don't use birth certificates to record an actual DOB. My mom had that issue when my family came here from Vietnam and my Grandma apparently just made up birthdays (month and day) for all of my aunts and uncles because they just go by the actual year rather than a specific date.

RoseRed

The CHN tba host spot in pairs is killing me.
I need justice for Wang/Wang. Can't believe a pair who medaled on GP circuit at its last international outing was not sent anywhere in 2yrs :mitchell:
I think it'll probably be Tang/Yang though, since they beat W/W at that domestic comp (by ~26 points).

barbarafan

Senior

1 Tang / Yang 192.96
2 Wang / Wang 166.66
3 Liu / Xie 161.44
4 Zheng / Zhu 93.55
5 Zhang / Guo 83.64
6 He / Huang 55.57

Yu / Zhang withdrew due to his injury.

Junior

1 Wang / Huang 159.03 (Assigned to JGP Lake Placid)
2 Wang / Jia 147.68 (Assigned to JGP Lake Placid)
3 Liu / Wang 115.32
4 Li / Wang 111.22
5 Zhu / Liu 87.96
6 Zhang / Wang 74.55
7 Yang / Deng 64.81

Novice

1 Zhao / Gao 24.27

ETA: I think Chinese fed used the result from Hailar to determine early JGP assignment. Aside from pairs, Yudong CHEN, Hengxin JIN and Xizi CHEN / Jianing XING won the junior competition of their disciplines respectively and earned their spots at JGP Courchevel. Not sure why the third pair spot at Lake Placid was left unused though.
I do not see Peng/Jin anywhere. Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information