Chantastic....the return of Patrick

Sulphur

Did anyone else notice his 3A is placed very differently now - I don't know if the newer set-up works for him.

His quad and other triples aren't (usually) much of a problem for him, but I'd love to see him spend a bit of time with Ilia Kulik to work on the 3A. Love his program, though!

Yes, obviously 2Lz was just a fluke. On the other hand not enough height in his 3A and it didn't look like it was a timing of the take-off thing. I too wondered if it was the new setup I second the suggestion to make Ilia Kulik his axel coach!

dinakt

I just wanted to visit this fan thread and say that although I'm far from a fan of Patrick and have rooted against him in the past, that LP is everything that figure skating is all about. Well deserved victory and score, IMO.
I will repeat this.
Patrick has been winning me over for a few years, and I went from a not-a-fan-at-all to being a pretty big one. Both his programs this year are superb, and the performance quality has caught up with his skills, second to none. Tonight was for the ages, and I am so impressed and happy he did it.

Last edited:

sequins

Welcome back Mr. Chan! Let me echo everyone's sentiments and say it was an absolute pleasure to watch him skate tonight. Like him or not his skating is and always has been everything figure skating should be and when he's on, like tonight, it's pure magic.

spikydurian

@Corianna tell us all about it. Who else was there? Scrufflet? luckiest1? Just want him to enjoy and not put too much pressure on winning. If it comes, it comes. If not, it's not the end of the world. He's still a world class skater even without the jumps.

fscric

When I saw Hanyu's score, I felt it was a big ask for Patrick since it's his first competition after taking the year off, I just hoped he would medal. It was just unreal to see his score and after watching it on youtube, he was more than deserved the score. What a great comeback for Patrick!

Scrufflet

@Corianna tell us all about it. Who else was there? Scrufflet? luckiest1? Just want him to enjoy and not put too much pressure on winning. If it comes, it comes. If not, it's not the end of the world. He's still a world class skater even without the jumps.
I wasn't there: I watched on TV. It was absolutely electric! Anyone who was there was lucky, lucky, lucky to experience it. I'm thrilled to think what a season it is going to be: two warriors duking it out and many new ones battling to get there. Sigh...

Wow, what a weekend. As much as I loved his performance what I will remember most was his expression after his fs ended. I've never seen him react this way. It was as if the weight of the world was lifted off his shoulders. He met all the challenges head on (first important competition on comeback trail and skating after his chief competitor put up what many thought was an insurmountable number). Congratulations Patrick!

ETA: my second favorite moment was Patrick's fs triple axel. Welcome back!

Last edited:

puglover

I was so amazingly fortunate to be there and in the 2nd row. He was just spell-binding. Patrick at his best, and I agree, what skating is all about. I forgot to get anxious for the triple axel - I was already so into the program. He didn't get a chance to warm up the second quad as it is right in front of the boards where all the coaches were and skaters were passing all around him. That said, the fact he tripled it didn't distract from the impact of the program at all. Way to go Patrick! He got great crowd support all week and I hope this is a great confidence booster that he has made the right choice in coming back.

screech

Every single one of Patrick's elements received +GOE - there wasn't a single minus anywhere on his protocol for his LP. And all of his PCS were in the 9s. Extremely well deserved.

I'm assuming his 3lz/2t combo could have been a 3/3 combo but he couldn't do the triple toe because he'd already done 2 of them. That, plus a second quad, could easily make his score 200 in the LP. And that 3A was the most beautiful 3A I think he's ever done. He said the SP one was due to lack of speed (lack of speed for him is speed of light for anyone else). But wow!

His reactions after his LP were great. He looked so overwhelmed.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I was there and it was spellbinding. I found myself in tears as I realized what he was doing and what a gift it was to watch this performance.
I was afraid that he would fall and break the spell, but jump after jump was landed with ease. I know now some were downgraded but it didn't matter at the time.
Patrick's confidence spread through the audience and we relaxed and soaked up the amazing experience. I, and almost everyone else, was on my feet during his final spin.
Really a skate for the ages.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I had watched the NBC broadcast specifically to hear what Johnny had to say. He disappointed me by not praising Patrick enough. :drama:

bardtoob

Johnny has always been very jealous of Patrick's abilities. Sad he cannot rise above that. Tara praised him fulsomely, though.

I think Johnny is not jealous as much as it is awkward to heap praise on a peer and very uncool because it makes them no longer a peer. Patrick and Johnny seemed to like each other well enough on tour.

http://s933.photobucket.com/user/inflameduntamed/media/3479446016_c0868cbf00_o.jpg.html

This is not to deny that Johnny had wanted to achieve what Patrick did achieve, but what skater does not want to achieve what Patrick has achieved. Patrick's skating is beautiful and with high technical content, and the medals followed. We all also know that Johnny appreciates quality above all else, and the only skater I think was ever in the same class as Patrick was David Jenkins.

If anything, I think Johnny might be jealous in the same vein as Toller Cranston when he said:

“I’m on another planet watching Patrick Chan with binoculars and applauding along with the rest of the world,” Cranston said from his Mexican hideaway in 2012.

“I don’t think I could watch him skate live, I’d commit suicide out of depression at how good he is,” Cranston added, erupting in loud laughter.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...on-dead-at-65/article22623767/?service=mobile

Last edited:

luckiest1

I'm so happy for those of you who were there to see it live. I watched from my living room, fell asleep in between Hanyu and Patrick, but woke up as the cheers for Patrick started as he skated to his position. Wow, what a way to wake up! LOL I think I may also have woken the neighbours with my screaming and jumping up and down as the program progressed. I hope he can replicate it again at Canadians in Halifax (since that'll be my only live competition this season).

Thanks for the link to that article...it really explained what emotional turmoil Patrick was in prior to his skate. You'd never know it by the way he attacked the program. He was what we Elvis fans used to call "in the zone". After the perfect axel I knew that he was on a roll and wasn't going to make a mistake.

ETA: love that Toller Cranston quote!

Justathoughtabl

I think Johnny is not jealous as much as it is awkward to heap praise on a peer and very uncool because it makes them no longer a peer. Patrick and Johnny seemed to like each other well enough on tour.

http://s933.photobucket.com/user/inflameduntamed/media/3479446016_c0868cbf00_o.jpg.html

Interesting to read what people say about Johnny's comments, because yesterday I tweeted something like, "Wow, Johnny sure has changed his opinion of Patrick!" I thought he was very complimentary. I can't remember exactly what he said, but I think he used the word "superb" or "excellent." There was some very positive language in there.

I think a lot of us who used to not care for Patrick and think he was over-scored are having a hard time deciding whether we like him! Personally, I'm very impressed with him, and I used to really dislike him. But to come back after a year off and blow everyone away... It was terrific to see. He's become a lot more artistic and expressive, and that, combined with his edges and speed and jumps...I look forward to seeing him during the rest of the season.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
OK, I meant it somewhat in jest--he did praise him quite a bit but I expected gushing. Thanks, that was a great quote @bardtoob :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information