Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

oleada

Wow, that’s quite a negative perspective. I’ve heard these kids spend 5+ hours everyday training and it’s too bad you have the audacity to put these teams down. For most of these skaters it’s their first competition of the year, there programs are still evolving and their technical elements will only improve with repetition. I really hope none of these skaters read these harsh statements that an inexperienced observer feels the need to post.
It’s a discussion forum. Not everything posted will be relentless cheering. I don’t see anything wrong with what @Rock2 posted. He gave credit where it was due and posted things teams could work on.

Colonel Green

The one thing I would say is that under the current SOV, I don't think doing bigger throws, especially, is something that's especially worth investing time in. The triple throws (other than the Axel) are separate by at most 0.90 in BV. And almost everybody is doing the same side-by-side jumps at this point.

chantilly

Wow, that’s quite a negative perspective. I’ve heard these kids spend 5+ hours everyday training and it’s too bad you have the audacity to put these teams down. For most of these skaters it’s their first competition of the year, there programs are still evolving and their technical elements will only improve with repetition. I really hope none of these skaters read these harsh statements that an inexperienced observer feels the need to post.
Rock2 is actually not an inexperienced observer.

I don’t always agree with him but I also didn’t find his post particularly “negative”

It’s definitely critical and I’d say realistic. This is a sport. And every one of these skaters puts in hours of work.

I’m pretty sure Rock 2 is aware of how much these skaters train and work to improve.

But that’s not going to change the fact that they are probably not likely to be a threat internationally when several teams are competing at a higher level with more difficult elements.

As a Canadian I feel in general that we’ve honestly not pushed our athletes enough technically in pairs or ladies.

This is pretty obvious when you view the international stage.

But this is somewhat to be expected coming off the most successful quad in Canadian figure skating ever with multiple retirements.

chantilly

The one thing I would say is that under the current SOV, I don't think doing bigger throws, especially, is something that's especially worth investing time in. The triple throws (other than the Axel) are separate by at most 0.90 in BV. And almost everybody is doing the same side-by-side jumps at this point.
But height does usually translate to better GOES and overall impression of the skaters IMO.

You have a point on jumps but some up and coming teams are doing and/or trying more difficult jumps.

I think the main issue with jumps is consistency and quality.

Vase

I somewhat agree, the junior pair girls are so young it’s hard to speak long term.
Zach is improving as a pair guy and I think two competitions into the season they’ve showed progress.
Even teams with the triples struggle to make them work. So I’ll give them time to grow physically, new teams to get things smoothed out and all the ones doing new programs just need more time adjusting to their new challenge.
Not an easy task being that a few pair girls are 13-14yrs old.

oleada

That's true, but a) every little point counts, especially when the GOE in the twist when the lift isn't likely to ever be great and b.) also I wonder if there's also reputation points to be gained by doing at least a throw triple salchow vs a toe which you rarely see outside of juniors.

clairecloutier

Someone posted this over at GS, but I don’t know if it was posted here:

it’s an interview with Sharon Fichman, Canadian tennis player and Dylan Moscovitch’s fiancée. Sharon gives a detailed account here of the freak accident Dylan suffered in fall 2018, which derailed his season & likely kept him and Lubov from making the Olympic team.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I agree generally that for Canadian pairs, there will be a climb internationally. It is early yet, but Kirsten/Michael aren't showing the spark they had two seasons ago. It could just be a bit of a lull, and they will be picking things up and showing more progress. Last season, they had to battle a slow start due to injuries at the same time as trying to fulfill expectations as Canada's top team. It was a bit of a tall order when what they probably needed was slow and steady behind an established team they could measure themselves and push themselves against, as they were used to doing when D/R were at the top.

K&M didn't have as good programs last season, as they did the previous season, so coupled with the expectations being high, it seems a bit like they actually lost some momentum, despite the thrill ride at 4CCs. S/H were shaky in coming back from injury at 4CCs. So with the opportunity for victory in front of K&M, their ambitious yet jittery performance in the 4CCs fp speaks volumes about the fact this past season for them wound up a bit like 'reach exceeding their grasp.' They are a good team, but they are still working out their style and trying to solidify their confidence. Michael still has some partnership skills to shore up as well. And now they will also be adjusting to a new training camp. I think the key for them is going to be finding the right type of programs (as they had two seasons ago) to re-kickstart their momentum.

All-in-all, Canada may have the political clout, and a bit better legacy results in recent years in pairs, but right now U.S. pairs is on the upswing advantage with a number of veteran teams, and a number of exciting up-and-coming new teams. Still, that's an on-paper observation, while the proof of the pudding takes place on the ice, complicated by figure skating being so full of politics and rep-based scoring.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Someone posted this over at GS, but I don’t know if it was posted here:

it’s an interview with Sharon Fichman, Canadian tennis player and Dylan Moscovitch’s fiancée. Sharon gives a detailed account here of the freak accident Dylan suffered in fall 2018, which derailed his season & likely kept him and Lubov from making the Olympic team.

:eek: And we never knew any details about this? I heard Dylan had some kind of injury, but an unhinged mirrored door suddenly falling on him as he was reclining on a stretch mat???! :scream: Just before the heat of the Olympic season!?

It's amazing Dylan even made it to 2018 Canadian Nationals with what he had to come back from. I think this goes to show, we never know all the details of what skaters go through in their daily lives off-the-ice, which impacts the course of their competitive careers. Kudos to Dylan! :respec: I hope his fiance, Sharon, achieves her summer Olympics goal, and Dylan gets to accompany her.

Vase

For fun, what’s your guess on who will be assigned Croatia JGP? Seems to be one of the only ones left empty.

Sylvia

TBD
First 3 JGPs:

Lake Placid:
GABRIELLE LEVESQUE / PIER-ALEXANDRE HUDON
BROOKE MCINTOSH / BRANDON TOSTE

Chelyabinsk:
BROOKE MCINTOSH / BRANDON TOSTE
PATRICIA ANDREW AND ZACHARY DALEMAN (new)

Gdansk:
CAMILLE PERREAULT / WILLIAM ST-LOUIS (new)
KELLY ANN LAURIN / LOUCAS ETHIER (N1)

Zagreb: Panetta/Mimar? and ?
Summer comp scores ... JUNIOR PAIRS
McIntosh/Toste 140.72
Andrew/Daleman 137.58
Panetta/Mimar 134.53
Laurin/Ethier 134.50
Levesque/Hudon 129.95
Perreault/St-Louis 126.06

RoseRed

Seems like it has to be Andrew/Daleman and Levesque/Hudon.
Pretty sure Panetta/Mimar earned a spot with their Quebec result (where they beat L/H, P/S-L and L/E). I think it should be Andrew/Daleman and them. Levesque/Hudon haven't really earned two spots with their summer scores.

RoseRed

For fun, what’s your guess on who will be assigned Croatia JGP? Seems to be one of the only ones left empty.
We already know that Alison, Bashynska/Beaumont and Bronsard/Bouaraguia will be there. Stephen should be too. I don't know if we picked up a 2nd spot there or not for the men.

million$momma

Pretty sure Panetta/Mimar earned a spot with their Quebec result (where they beat L/H, P/S-L and L/E). I think it should be Andrew/Daleman and them. Levesque/Hudon haven't really earned two spots with their summer scores.
Maybe they will wait to see how the teams perform at their first assignments and pick the team that rises to the top.

Vase

Andrew/Daleman adjusting with her growth and new partnership will be a struggle, but I’m glad to see they put in 3 toe throw, any progress is good for a new team with only being third competition under them, he looked quiet nervous today, he’s big but graceful, she’s a performer.
McINTOSH/Toste, he’s adorable, and with being a team since Juvenile, it’s an advantage.
I hope to see some triple jumps in their long. I like a team who shows grit especially in Junior.

Growth is enviable for these two girls, but I suspect this season there will be a ton a growth, so many young CDN junior pairs, they just need to push through.
Russians seem to dominate junior pairs, so taking chances and pushing their bar is worth the risk. IMO.

Janef

Dear Skate Canada,
Please consider sending Brasseur & Bardei out to get their min scores as what they showed on the ice today at Georges Either was really, really good. I promise to be a good skate fan the rest of the season and not snark too much.

Thanks/Merci!
That is good to know. Is there a link or YouTube video for it? I watched a few videos from the us intnl and the Cdns sent there were all at the bottom.

barbarafan

That is good to know. Is there a link or YouTube video for it? I watched a few videos from the us intnl and the Cdns sent there were all at the bottom.
I heard that the competition is supposed to be archived but it might only be after competition finishes. If anyone knows how to access it pls let us know.

Rock2

Dear Skate Canada,
Please consider sending Brasseur & Bardei out to get their min scores as what they showed on the ice today at Georges Either was really, really good. I promise to be a good skate fan the rest of the season and not snark too much.

Thanks/Merci!

I want this team to do well SO badly.
But it's not a great situation behind the scenes and I have some questions about her potential so I'm not sure how far they'll go....or what SC should do with them.

I saw the short and there were encouraging things although I was hard pressed to find a transition in the program.

Didn't catch the long but saw the sheets. Pretty much tells you what the concern is for this pair. Sigh.

uandmfan

Didn't catch the long but saw the sheets. Pretty much tells you what the concern is for this pair. Sigh.

I want them to do well too!! What's going on behind the scenes and what do the sheets tell us? I don't know how to read the protocols..... Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information