Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

barbarafan

Are the Wirtzes still together??
It was posted that the Wirtz's were moving to MTL so I would take that to mean they are together unless it was an assumption on the poster's part and it really was only one who was moving. ???

Sylvia

TBD
Grand Prix initial selections were published today:

Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro (Skate Canada & NHK/Japan)
Lubov Ilyushechkina/Charlie Bilodeau (Skate Canada & China) as “Returning Split Couple”
Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud (Russia)
Camille Ruest/Drew Wolfe (Skate America)

ETA: ... and Skate Canada International 3rd spot TBD.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

There's a TBD host pick spot at Skate Canada, so I'm guessing that will be determined based on how the teams look in summer competitions and so on. I'd think it would go to Brasseur/Bardei if they're ready.

barbarafan

There's a TBD host pick spot at Skate Canada, so I'm guessing that will be determined based on how the teams look in summer competitions and so on. I'd think it would go to Brasseur/Bardei if they're ready.
I would think so (if they get their mins at an international)

RoseRed

They are the most likely I think, but it could also go to Matte/Ferland who beat B/B at Nats, or be used to give W/M a 2nd event if they don't pick one up as a replacement. And there is also Francis Boudreau-Audet with Nadine Wang.

barbarafan

They are the most likely I think, but it could also go to Matte/Ferland who beat B/B at Nats, or be used to give W/M a 2nd event if they don't pick one up as a replacement. And there is also Francis Boudreau-Audet with Nadine Wang.
Are you sure F-BA and Nadine are skating for Canada?

Sylvia

TBD
Yes. Check his Instagram. When he officially announced the partnership, he stated that they would compete for Canada.
Boudreau-Audet's May 17th post with clip: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxkbwp_pHKV/

There are 3 new Junior pairs who are registered for Quebec Summer Championships as of today (June 21):
Émy Carignan / Bryan Pierro
Esther Feinberg / Alexandre Simard
Camille Perreault / William St-Louis

allegro

I can't wait to see Lubov and Charlie. I hope they hit those SBS jumps that did not work very well with Dylan. I know it's a very new team, but I hope they get accustomed with each other. I Know 3Twist may be a problem with new teams.

mocha-ice

Yes. Check his Instagram. When he officially announced the partnership, he stated that they would compete for Canada.

Interesting because on the roster for Championnats Québécois d'été they are listed as representing Japan....

Sylvia

TBD
Before the latest Quebec Summer Championships entries update, Nadine Wang was listed with a Canadian/QC club, IIRC, and Boudreau-Audet was listed with Japan (which I had assumed was a typo from his past affiliation).

This link (Équipes Excellence-A-NextGen 2019-2020 dated 23-mai-19) originally was posted in the Canadian Dance thread: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/19-20_AthlètesDEV_Exc-A-NG-1.pdf

5 pairs are listed:

Lubov Ilyushechkina & Charlie Bilodeau [Richard Gauthier]
Camille Ruest & Andrew Wolfe [Richard Gauthier]
Lori-Ann Matte & Thierry Ferland [Richard Gauthier]
Gabrielle Levesque & Pier-Alexandre Hudon [Charleen Cameron] Junior
Chloe Panetta & Benjamin Mimar [Richard Gauthier] Junior

barbarafan

Before the latest Quebec Summer Championships entries update, Nadine Wang was listed with a Canadian/QC club, IIRC, and Boudreau-Audet was listed with Japan (which I had assumed was a typo from his past affiliation).

This link (Équipes Excellence-A-NextGen 2019-2020 dated 23-mai-19) originally was posted in the Canadian Dance thread: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/19-20_AthlètesDEV_Exc-A-NG-1.pdf

5 pairs are listed:

Lubov Ilyushechkina & Charlie Bilodeau [Richard Gauthier]
Camille Ruest & Andrew Wolfe [Richard Gauthier]
Lori-Ann Matte & Thierry Ferland [Richard Gauthier]
Gabrielle Levesque & Pier-Alexandre Hudon [Charleen Cameron] Junior
Chloe Panetta & Benjamin Mimar [Richard Gauthier] Junior
This was from May 23 2019....I am surprised that Justine Brasseur and Mark Bardai aren't on the list....As well Chloe Chouinard and Ostiguy are not on the list....Are they on a B team maybe?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Interesting because on the roster for Championnats Québécois d'été they are listed as representing Japan....

...Nadine Wang was listed with a Canadian/QC club, IIRC, and Boudreau-Audet was listed with Japan (which I had assumed was a typo from his past affiliation).

What Sylvia said above makes the most sense. Plus, we can see from Francis' original Instagram post that they will be representing Canada. When I heard about the pairing, that's what I suspected would be the case, particularly since Nadine had already been training in Canada (representing the U.S. with Spencer Howe) in the same Montreal camp with Francis and his former Japanese partner. Plus, Nadine is not Japanese, so representing Japan would not be happening. Isn't Nadine Chinese-American @Sylvia?

ChiquitaBanana

Colonel Green

Meagan said in her most recent TSL appearance that there are going to be two more teams in Oakville, one very shortly and the other later in the summer. She didn’t specify whether these were senior or junior, etc.

It also sounds like she and Bruno were seriously considering setting up shop in the USA, but she said that when she got pregnant that possibility went out the window because of healthcare costs south of the border.

RoseRed

Meagan said in her most recent TSL appearance that there are going to be two more teams in Oakville, one very shortly and the other later in the summer. She didn’t specify whether these were senior or junior, etc.

It also sounds like she and Bruno were seriously considering setting up shop in the USA, but she said that when she got pregnant that possibility went out the window because of healthcare costs south of the border.
She didn't the second time she talked about it, but near the beginning of the episode, she said they had "a couple more senior teams coming next week and again in August" https://youtu.be/qKmtkqkybwg?t=358

Rock2

Agree. I think this spot is really wide open, in large part bc of the number of worthy teams we suddenly have (I think it was less than a year ago many were sweating over the dearth of senior teams, and then someone reminded the group this could change over night...cough....)

I have to think W/M are going to get a second spot someplace else as alternates. If they don't, I think it will be quite telling if they get the spot as national silver medalists or SC goes with a totally different team. Nice to have options!

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Cross-posting from TSL thread. The plot thickens:

Oh eh, go to Trash Can for the by this point old buzz, which btw, I completely missed the last time I was in that thread. :lol:

It's the off-season @Sylvia, and I'm starved for something new and real and deep and substantial. There's really no intelligent outlet for in-depth skating chatter that isn't snarky or disparate and scant and overly gossipy. I do respect the skaters in this gossipy age of social media/ Internet. At the same time, I think there should be room for above board conversation. I know that's hard when although a lot is happening, skaters wish for their privacy as things are in the process of happening and no final decisions have been arrived at. Still, where is the intelligent, in-depth skating coverage this sport screams out for. Everything is way too disparate and same-old same-old formats that don't allow for thoughtful conversation.

Start a thread entitled "Who would you pair Skater X with" and take it from there. But my preference is that this discussion post on facts, not rumours or speculation. It's hard enough to get valid news in the off-season about all of the splits, coaching changes and new teams without confusing the issue with speculation on try-outs before the skaters have even stated their intentions. But that's just me.

Sylvia

TBD
If released by Skate Canada, Olivia would be able to compete for Austria as early as the upcoming season. The Boys-Eddy siblings last competed internationally for CAN in a 2017 JGP: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00055060.htm

Dana/Mayr (AUT) last competed in the Junior Pairs event at Golden Spin in Dec. 2018: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106065.htm
Olivia Boys-Eddy and Livio Mayr have started training together in Oakville: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzG7MiOJulU/
Note the hashtag #Austria.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Meagan said ... It also sounds like she and Bruno were seriously considering setting up shop in the USA, but she said that when she got pregnant that possibility went out the window because of healthcare costs south of the border.

It not only sounded like Meagan said that, she did say it. :lol: I was just coming here to post about it too. She said:

"We were thinking of options about where we would relocate. We had a few options in mind, not necessarily around Toronto at all... But when we found out I was pregnant, it kind of changed our plan and we had to readjust where we were thinking of relocating ourselves. And I mean at that point, anywhere in the USA became out of the question because it costs so much for healthcare to have a baby in America when ... I could have it for free here [in Canada]."

So her comments confirm that the rumors they might relocate to the U.S. were true, though she doesn't mention any specific location or rink they had been considering in the U.S.

allegro

I tried to search myself but with no result. Julianne Seguin was supposed to have some try outs in January, but that is the last information available. I really wonder what happened. Is she still skating?

Erin

Banned Member
I tried to search myself but with no result. Julianne Seguin was supposed to have some try outs in January, but that is the last information available. I really wonder what happened. Is she still skating?

I heard in March that she was still having concussion issues and was back on the ice but not fully. I didn’t hear anything specifically about tryouts one way or another but it wouldn’t surprise me if there weren’t any given her ongoing health issues.

uandmfan

Do we know for sure that B&B are still together? I loved them last year and was really sad when they split briefly. I hope they will continue.

What happened to Gabriella Marvaldi? Wasn't she supposed to skate for Canada last year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information