Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

Catherine M

Sometimes timing is just all wrong in life. IF the olympics were LAST year, Lubov & Dylan would have been just fine as they had a great 16/17 season. But from the start of this season, everything has been off.

Best of luck to them in whatever their life journey brings them

nimi

From the ISU quick quotes (http://cloud.isu.org/index.php/s/pDN5aUhkXQQl4hZ#pdfviewer)
Moscovitch: (on missing the lift) Our alinement going in, the lineup was off. When I’m down on my knee, the alinement was off, I only have one foot to steer. It was hard to grip in the ice to get a lift up and balance. When I come sideways, unfortunately I didn’t have any balance to keep it up. (...) It’s been a bit of a roller-coaster for us for the last month or so, the nationals and the accident before the nationals. So we’ve been kind of treading water on the middle of the ocean, so we’re just trying to keep our head above water. We haven’t given up, we kept pushing hard, but still disappointed with how everything turned out for us this week. This is our last season.
(on whether this was their last competition) It really depends on the other three teams who are going to the Olympics. If one decides not to go to Worlds and we get asked to go then we’ll discuss that together, make that call then. But as it for now, we’re going to go home, and get to stay on the ice for a little bit, because we’re the alternates for the Olympics, so until everyone goes we’re going to stay as ready as we can be, and probably take a little bit of a down timing, rest our bodies and then see what happens.

Rock2

Sometimes timing is just all wrong in life. IF the olympics were LAST year, Lubov & Dylan would have been just fine as they had a great 16/17 season. But from the start of this season, everything has been off.

That's precisely it. Everything just descended into a pile of crap for them. Not just because of the accident before nationals. His lifting and jumping hasn't been great at all. The other lifts in today's long were scary as well. Lifts weren't centered, arms bent, scratchy feet. This was becoming more and more noticeable as the season went on and was at its peak today.

Real sad for them to have a competition like this be their last. You want to relish your final pose in your last comp.

mag

So much in this sport comes down to luck. Sucks really.

Rock2

Re. Dylan's quote in post #635 above:

Meagan/Eric are the scheduled presenters for Ice Skating Australia's National Development Camp in from March 5-12, 2018 ( http://www.isa.org.au/high-performance-and-athlete-development?lightbox=dataItem-j9mabuux ) so it's still possible that Lubov/Dylan could go to Worlds...

Possible, but I highly doubt it.
I would expect D/R to do every single comp they can get their hands on (that doesn't compromise their Olympic preparation) in their final year.

clairecloutier

I don't know @Rock2. I remember Eric said in a past interview that Pyeongchang will probably be their final competition. Of course, they could always change their minds.

Katta

That's precisely it. Everything just descended into a pile of crap for them. Not just because of the accident before nationals. His lifting and jumping hasn't been great at all. The other lifts in today's long were scary as well. Lifts weren't centered, arms bent, scratchy feet. This was becoming more and more noticeable as the season went on and was at its peak today.

Real sad for them to have a competition like this be their last. You want to relish your final pose in your last comp.

I know Dylan had a Band-Aid on his hand at Nationals, but was never able figure out what happened; can you fill me in please!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I know Dylan had a Band-Aid on his hand at Nationals, but was never able figure out what happened; can you fill me in please!
Several weeks before nationals a huge glass door fell on him. He put his hands up to protect his eyes. He had a cut on his hand that needed stitches, cuts on his face, a concussion, and apparently other injuries that AFAIK have not been revealed, just that there were other injuries. They lost weeks of training time. ((((((((Dylan)))))))) :(

barbarafan

Several weeks before nationals a huge glass door fell on him. He put his hands up to protect his eyes. He had a cut on his hand that needed stitches, cuts on his face, a concussion, and apparently other injuries that AFAIK have not been revealed, just that there were other injuries. They lost weeks of training time. ((((((((Dylan)))))))) :(

Thank-you...do you know what happened to Lubov's chin?. It was obviously cut but the day of the short program it was also very swollen...almost mishapen. I wondered if she had had a fall & if there were other injuries.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thank-you...do you know what happened to Lubov's chin?. It was obviously cut but the day of the short program it was also very swollen...almost mishapen. I wondered if she had had a fall & if there were other injuries.
Sorry no, I don't know anything about her chin.

Katta

Thank you!!
That sadly explains so much... :wuzrobbedLife is all about timing and this one was truly a sad and unfortunate incident.

WanderlustTO

I'm lazy so will just copy/paste my post from the competition thread...

I think that tonight was a good night for Canadian skating fans. Meagan & Eric are right in it for the bronze medal and will be in it for the final flight. Given this is their last season, I *doubt* they'll be at the worlds, so they have every reason to put it all out there in the free skate.

First olympics for Julianne and Charlie - not perfect, but I think they should feel proud of how they performed and motivated for the free skate.

More of a struggle for Kirsten and Michael - but I was proud to watch them compete...and they'll get another chance on Thursday.

ChiquitaBanana

I think that tonight was a good night for Canadian skating fans. Meagan & Eric are right in it for the bronze medal and will be in it for the final flight. Given this is their last season, I *doubt* they'll be at the worlds, so they have every reason to put it all out there in the free skate.

:confused::eek::scream: Worlds or not, skating at the Olympics is pretty good reason to skate all out, don’t you think?

nimi

:confused::eek::scream: Worlds or not, skating at the Olympics is pretty good reason to skate all out, don’t you think?
And skate all out they did!! They're such competitors!

This the first time since SLC that Canada wins an Olympic medal in pairs, right? (Not counting the team events)

At press conference, Savchenko/Massot and Sui/Han noted that they will be at Worlds, not surprisingly, Duhamel/Radford said no.
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/964015645439361025

I hope we'll see recovered Luba & Dylan at Worlds. They deserve a better farewell skate than the one at 4CC...

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg

Geez. Does he do construction? Or how did this come about?

barbarafan

he was stretching at the gym and was blind sided.
What crappy timing.(not that it is a positive thing to happen to anyone at any time.)...I hope the healing has advanced a lot and so would love them to have a magical performance at worlds. They said they were still training in case they were called up for a sub and I am pretty sure D/R would have let them know it was a good possibility they would forego worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information