Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I'm sure they will send whoever is third, provided she has the TES minimums. Chartrand might still get worlds since only Austman of the other contenders has the TES for that. (Sorry Pineault too but she's behind Chartrand)

AGREED! Alaine haste demonstrated anything to be selected..... Didn't she finish last and second to last in the GP series?

I dunno whats happened to her but I wish she'd get her mojo back....

coppertop1

AGREED! Alaine haste demonstrated anything to be selected..... Didn't she finish last and second to last in the GP series?

I dunno whats happened to her but I wish she'd get her mojo back....

Exactly. She doesn't have the body of work to save her, unfortunately. Whoever is the third skater will be there for experience. I can't see a reason to not send whoever finishes third.

Sylvia

TBD
Well what a story because less than 4 months later she’s [Olivia Gran is] the junior champion. Great accomplishment.
I'm really happy Olivia successfully returned to competition in the second half of the season. :) Here's a chronology of posts re. her from earlier in this thread:

Sept. 25:
My sources out West have confirmed that Olivia Gran has quit competitive skating, some time after the Skate Canada NextGen camp. Very unfortunate for someone so young who still had lots of time to develop skills, grow physically/mentally, and learn to compete on the international stage. If this is indeed true, I wish her all the best in what she chooses in her post skating life.
Oct. 2:
Olivia Gran is registered for BC/YK Sections so perhaps she hasn't quit or has decided to come back?
Nov. 12:
Just watched archived video of Olivia Gran's Junior FS - she skated to the same music ("Walking in the Air" sung by Chloë) with which she won the Jr. silver medal at Challenge Cup in The Hague back in late February 2017. Her jumps today: 2A+2T, 3Lz fall, 3Lz hand, 3T, 3Lo, 3S hand/fell out, 2A. Announced scores were 82.60, FS, 128.61 and 3rd overall. Glad to see her back skating/competing!
Junior Ladies FS protocol from 2017 Challenge Cup in The Hague -- Olivia Gran won the FS (101.50) over USA's Emmy Ma (who won the gold by 1 point due to her 1st place SP) and Olivia was credited with landing 5 of her 6 planned triples cleanly, including 2A+3T and 3Lz+2T+2Lo: http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2016-2017/20170224/TheH230217_LadiesJunior_FS_Scores.pdf

Junior Women's FS protocol from 2018 Canadians (Olivia landed 4 of her 5 planned triples, including both 3Lz): http://skatecanada.ca/results/2018CDNS/2018CDNSJuniorWomenFPDRO.pdf
Gold - Olivia Gran BC/YK 54.96 (2) 94.69 (1) 149.65
Silver - Sarah-Maude Blanchard QC 58.24 (1) 90.28 (2) 148.52
Bronze - Victoria Bocknek ON 50.31 (4) 88.58 (4) 138.89

Age-eligible for 2018 Junior Worlds and have both minimums/top 3 in Jr. or competing in Sr. at Canadians:

(3rd after SP) Sarah TAMURA CAN Bavarian Open 2017 15.02.2017 31.55 J Bavarian Open 2017 16.02.2017 56.04 J
(10th after SP) Amanda TOBIN CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 26.02 J Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 38.02 J
(12th after SP) Alicia PINEAULT CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 26.29 J ISU JGP Czech Skate 2016 03.09.2016 39.21 J
(14th after SP) Aurora COTOP CAN Bavarian Open 2017 15.02.2017 30.51 J ISU JGP Brisbane 2017 26.08.2017 48.93 J

(Junior champ) Olivia GRAN CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 25.73 J Challenge Cup 2017 23.02.2017 54.79 J
(Junior 5th) Alison SCHUMACHER CAN ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 07.09.2017 31.18 J ISU JGP Egna Neumarkt 2017 14.10.2017 51.49 J
(Junior 6th) Emma BULAWKA CAN Autumn Classic International 2017 20.09.2017 22.49 J Autumn Classic International 2017 20.09.2017 42.55 J

Sylvia

TBD
New Bev Smith article about Daleman. God she's been through a lot. And she's sick again! She can't seem to catch a break.

GABBY DALEMAN: WHAT STRENGTH IS

https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2018/01/11/gabby-daleman-what-strength-is/
Beverley Smith's follow-up after the SP - GABBY DALEMAN TAKING NO PRISONERS: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2018/01/12/gabby-daleman-taking-no-prisoners/
Excerpts:
Daleman breezed off the ice like a hurricane. “Honestly,that felt unbelievably amazing,” she said. “After I came off the ice, I said to my coach: ‘That’s how I want to end 19. Last program. Last teenager. New program. Super excited.”
Daleman had shown up with a new costume, new hairstyle, new makeup, even some new choreography to spice up her sassy Carmen routine, make it more playful to the judges. “I know it sounds bad, but I was just flirting my butt off to those judges in that program and it was a blast.”
Osmond said she was not “overly pleased” with her mistake. “I don’t remember the last time I missed a flip-toe in competition,” she said. “Even since Grand Prix Final, I haven’t missed that jump once in my program.
It was really frustrating. I haven’t missed any of them in practice. So it was really frustrating not doing my first element.”
She said she feels very motivated for the free program tomorrow.

clairecloutier

I cannot believe Gabby is out there competing with pneumonia! It’s amazing and I applaud her courage ... but I hope she spends all her time between programs resting as much as possible. And she needs to give herself time to recover after this competition!

coppertop1

Gabby is a trooper. I just hope she doesn't push herself too hard. If she had to withdraw, they'd probably give her a medical bye. I don't think Alaine is out of it yet if she can rebound. She needs to not panic if she misses the first jumping pass.

fsfann

I agree with those who have said that the 3rd spot will go to whoever finishes 3rd. If Alaine had had a decent season (this year or last year) then I think they would send her regardless of her placement, but given how things have been going, I think you'll see the bronze medalist go to Pyeongchang (and rightfully so).

I just don't get how she can collapse so much. Her practices/warm ups are fantastic and then she crumbles under pressure...

Seerek

Not to mention Alaine's overall speed and ice coverage is slower than practices as she's stalking and telegraphing a lot of her jump entrances. Michelle L. shouldn't allow for those habits to persist.

ichiro

Alaine needs to finally find a new dedicated coach. Michelle L has time and time again been unable to take her skaters to the next level. A fresh set of eyes would definitely be helpful. I'd love to see her train with Kaetlyn or even Gabbie full time.

I can't believe Sarah is in 3rd...Imagine all the skaters that would flock to Joanne if Sarah manages to secure that Olympic spot. Can we adopt Higuichi or Wagner?

coppertop1

It was Alaine's spot to lose and she may have lost it. Is she going to stick around until 2022? I really feel for her I didn't think Sarah would be 3rd but the SP is her strength. It's not over.

Rafter

Not to mention Alaine's overall speed and ice coverage is slower than practices as she's stalking and telegraphing a lot of her jump entrances. Michelle L. shouldn't allow for those habits to persist.

Don’t hold your breath, Michelle Leigh was the long time coach of Jennifer Robinson after all!

ichiro

Don’t hold your breath, Michelle Leigh was the long time coach of Jennifer Robinson after all!

J slow made huge strides when she started to train with Richard Call, better power and speed. Unfortunately once she stopped that arrangement she went back to skating at a snails pace

honey

JMO, but I think the best thing Alaine could do is to remove herself from Michelle Leigh full time. I've never thought Michelle was a great coach and she is clearly not helping Alaine fix what needs to be fixed. I'm not saying she has to go to Krall full time, but I would get away from Leigh and find someone else as a full time coach.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Holy Moly,

Look at Gabby's and Kaetlyn's scores.. Now that is the competition I wish Was at...

Did Gabby up her jump arsenal to score that high???? And Kaetlyn good too..

WOW!!!!!

I say send Larkyn, Alaine to 4 CC and best finisher goes to Olys.. cause neither were impressive this yr...... (include Aurora too)

coppertop1

Holy Moly,

Look at Gabby's and Kaetlyn's scores.. Now that is the competition I wish Was at...

Did Gabby up her jump arsenal to score that high???? And Kaetlyn good too..

WOW!!!!!

I say send Larkyn, Alaine to 4 CC and best finisher goes to Olys.. cause neither were impressive this yr...... (include Aurora too)

There may not be enough time for a sudden death skate off with the Olympics. When are. The 4CC? Gabby... Wow!!! She was on fire! Kaetlyn was still wonderful and maybe losing her national title will light a fire

screech

Larkyn finished ahead of Alaine in both segments. They went head-to-head at one competition this year and came last and second last (so basically, pretty comparable). Over the last couple seasons, Alaine just doesn't have the 'body of work'. I think based on Canadians, Larkyn earned it.

Well done to the ladies, but Kaetlyn's quality is just so much stronger. Even with two major mistakes, she was only 4 points lower in the LP. I don't quite get how they had essentially the same components scores (Gabby has stronger skating skills?) but well done for both.

Rafter

I wonder if Chartrand being a former Canadian Champion is going to come into play here.

Zazy

I feel Alaine's scores were affected by skating so much earlier than the last group of skaters.
The pcs gap especially was smaller than I would have expected.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting the ladies -- in addition to Daleman (1st) and Osmond (2nd) -- who have the required ISU senior minimum scores along with their final placements at 2018 Canadians:

Olympics/4CC: Austman (3rd), Chartrand (4th), Long (6th), Pineault (8th), Tamura (9th), E. Decelles (12th)

Worlds: Austman (3rd), Chartrand (4th), Pineault (8th)

Reportedly Skate Canada will meet to decide all the Olympic team nominations tonight and the announcement will come tomorrow.

screech

Well Rod and Brian seem to think Larkyn is going, since they keep repeating over and over that she's on the team.

coppertop1

Skate Canada usually goes with the medalists. Had Alaine had a better season, she would have probably been chosen.

And what's with Tamura? She seems to hit her opening combo in the free skate then becomes unraveled.

screech

This was the first time I've seen Tamura skate, and while watching her, I thought she reminded me of Mira Leung. Then I saw who her coach was and it all made sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information