Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

coppertop1

This was the first time I've seen Tamura skate, and while watching her, I thought she reminded me of Mira Leung. Then I saw who her coach was and it all made sense.

I've been thinking the same thing. A tenacious and talented youngster but needs help on the basics.

honey

Michael Slipchuk was just on with Rod and Tracy and said something to the effect of “you want to stick with the placements as much as you can and you want it to be clear and it has been so far today”. I think Larkyn is going to the Olympics.

Seerek

Only 2018 as far as Nationals go will be considered. Alaine doesn't have any of the 2016 or 2017 Worlds or Four Continents criteria for Pyeongchang set by SC.

Unfortunately for Alaine, her underrotations and lip edge cost her - the judges wanted to give it to her as she had higher components than Austman.

Sonata

Michael Slipchuk was just on with Rod and Tracy and said something to the effect of “you want to stick with the placements as much as you can and you want it to be clear and it has been so far today”. I think Larkyn is going to the Olympics.

Is he talking just Olympics? Because methinks this is contradicted by the past cases of Phaneuf vs Robinson, Lacoste vs Phaneuf, and most recently and notoriously, Firus vs Nguyen. Or has Skate Canada learned its lesson?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Wow.. Daleman and Osmond were amazeballs.

How come no one texted me and told me Daleman went back to the Rhapsody???

I just was on the youtubes and watched it all.

LURVE Daleman's new SP dress. That 3 toe/3 toe ... she travels so much distance...

Anyone know whats up with Medev? Is she at Euros this week?

I could see both Osmond and Daleman on Olys podium (with my other girl Kostner)? Or Nagasu or Tennell. :)

WanderlustTO

I agree with this. I think they should interfere only in the rarest occasions, such as when a skater who is expected to challenge for a medal misses the team because of an anomalous performance.

coppertop1

I agree with this. I think they should interfere only in the rarest occasions, such as when a skater who is expected to challenge for a medal misses the team because of an anomalous performance.

Which is why there is a body is work to draw from. In this case, there's no reason to interfere. Kaetlyn and Gabby will be the focus. It's about experience for Larkyn.

This was the first time I've seen Tamura skate, and while watching her, I thought she reminded me of Mira Leung. Then I saw who her coach was and it all made sense.

Ha. My dad couldn’t see who was at the boards with her and said to me that she looks like a Joanne McLeod skater.

I could see both Osmond and Daleman on Olys podium (with my other girl Kostner)? Or Nagasu or Tennell. :)

Do Russia and Japan not exist in your reality?

aftershocks

Banned Member
So after Skate America, Gabby must have finally taken into account all the critiques she's been receiving this season about her programs. The new sp costume works wonders, and they appear to have tweaked the program somewhat. At the least, she flaunted a stronger no-holds barred attitude in the sp and came out with huge confidence. I'm so glad for her that she dropped that meek Gladiator fp rendition. She always looked lost skating to it, which led to lack of confidence and mistakes. The best decision was to go back to Rhapsody in Blue. It suits her personality and her skating style so much better. Her confidence sparkled.

It's also fitting that Gabby won this year against Kaetlyn. Last year Kaetlyn made mistakes which were ignored. This year K's mistakes were more difficult to ignore. I really believe that Kaetlyn is pretty much the best overall lady in the world, but she wasn't able to step up and show it against the Russian phenoms this season, when she had opportunities to make a statement. Had Kaetlyn been able to control her nerves in the Cdn Nationals pressure cooker, she would have come out on top. That Gabby prevailed with clean, powerful, confident performances could not be denied by the judges, this time.

Skate America seems to have knocked something into or out of a number of people, big time. :D

Last edited:

Sasha is DIVINE

The overscoring was offensive last night! All Nationals judging is inflated to some degree, but this was outright laughable and embarrassing! And I like Daleman, but Jesus Christ that score is not any kind of accurate measure of her ability.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And I like Daleman, but Jesus Christ that score is not any kind of accurate measure of her ability.

Shall we go back and check the scores of every country's Nationals from December to the present (at the least) and type up a list of all the overblown scores? And maybe do a chart in Excel or something? :lol: :p Pardon me, but even Patrick would not have received the score he got in the sp internationally. Of course Gabby would not likely be receiving the scores she got at Cdn Nationals from international judges either. Even if she skates to deserve such scores internationally, we all know that scoring is heavily influenced by politics, skate order, judges' whims, etc. Anyway heck, Gabby sure did skate the bejaysus out of her programs at Cdn Nationals. Determination and confidence goes a long way, after picking the right music and choreo of course. And then, feds are always trying to one-up other feds with how great their contending skaters are, and feds are understandably eager to pump up their skaters too.

Ya know, maybe this is just what the doctor ordered for Kaetlyn to shed those willies and come out strong at the Olympics. If not, I'm not sure I know what beautiful KO is waiting for to finally K/O all of her competition. :COP: And that observation is not just whistling dixie if I do say so myself.

Pyeongchang Time Is Here!!! Be ready skaters :watch:

Last edited:

manhn

Friggin Bradie Friggin Tennel got a 145 friggin something at US friggin Nats. Yes, Gabby is at least 5 or 6 points better. If anything, Gabby was underscored. This may be more controversial but even with her errors, Osmond was better too. That first half is stunning.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

It keeps being the same thing with Osmond.. stellar first half of free skate and then the 2 mistake minimum starts on the exact same jump in the second half... I wonder how her sports psychologist is helping her with this because like clockwork it keeps happening..

I mean she could be Oly Champ if she found a way to keep it together....

shady82

I am gutted for Alaine, though I admit Larkin is the fair choice for the Olympic spot. I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard and think that the program has the potential for a huge standing ovation, if only Alaine could skate it clean. Even though Larkin was 3rd, I do believe Alaine also had a case for bronze.

Finally, I have to say that after her Carmen makeup and triumph over adversity, I am 100% supporting Gabby for Gay Icon of the Year next season :respec:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Friggin Bradie Friggin Tennel got a 145 friggin something at US friggin Nats. Yes, Gabby is at least 5 or 6 points better. If anything, Gabby was underscored. This may be more controversial but even with her errors, Osmond was better too. That first half is stunning.

Eh, stop with bringing friggin (apparently frighteningly consistent) Bradie Tennell into Canadian ladies thread. Can some of you guys at least wait till after the Olympics to start the new sport of dissin' Bradie (Cinderella) Tennell?! :duh: And at least first learn how to spell her name right. :drama:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Do you all think Daleman and Osmond have the best jumps in the business? They both have so much power and travel so much distance. The Russians seem to rely on backloading and arms up with less power but good technique.

Not considering Medev and Zag backloading do the Canadians score higher on jumps than them or tied? I know they do the arms over the head (borrrrinnnggggg) but how do the scores of Canadian top 2 and Russian top 2 compare?

Id much rather see the raw power and the great distance of Canadians than the arms up and no traveling of russians.

If they continue to give more points for backloading then I hope ISU starts awarding points for each foot traveled in the air, and balance each of their talents out. tee-hee

Id rather see a jump that flies than a jump that goes straight up and straight down with your arms creating a distraction.

The arms up only works for me on a Boitano or a Rippon because they are in the air for a while giving me time to appreciate what they are doing. With Medev and Zag it happens so quickly with minimal airtime I dont really appreciate it.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Eh, stop with bringing friggin (apparently frighteningly consistent) Bradie Tennell into Canadian ladies thread. Can some of you guys at least wait till after the Olympics to start the new sport of dissin' Bradie (Cinderella) Tennell?! :duh: And at least first learn how to spell her name right. :drama:

That was a fair reply to the overscoring comments brought into this thread.

Zazy

Even though Larkin was 3rd, I do believe Alaine also had a case for bronze.

I agree. I like Larkyn a lot but I think an international panel would have had Chartrand in 3rd.
Still, in a way it's nice that the 3rd spot went to someone who skated great (for her standards), rather than Chartrand backing her way into it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
That was a fair reply to the overscoring comments brought into this thread.

From your perspective, of course. And I agree with part of @manhn's earlier reply to Sasha Is Divine's OTT over-scoring comments. But now don't gang up too quickly guys, and don't count chickens before they hatch either. :rofl: You can read that last part any which way you like.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

From your perspective, of course. Now don't gang up too quickly guys, and don't count chickens before they hatch either. :rofl: You can read that last part any which way you like.
Always so much snark and agressiveness. I wish you serenity and inner peace for The next Olympics.

screech

Ya know, maybe this is just what the doctor ordered for Kaetlyn to shed those willies and come out strong at the Olympics. If not, I'm not sure I know what beautiful KO is waiting for to finally K/O all of her competition. :COP: And that observation is not just whistling dixie if I do say so myself.
I kind of want her to do a Jeff in 2008. Lost his national title, then got motivated and came back to win Worlds in a freaking landslide. (But please don't retire right afterwards, as Jeff did!)

Do you all think Daleman and Osmond have the best jumps in the business? They both have so much power and travel so much distance. The Russians seem to rely on backloading and arms up with less power but good technique.
On the flip and lutz, Gabby's technique isn't very good. Shes powerful, but those jumps are often extremely tight on the landing.
Kaetlyn's landings are spectacular, and the fact that she makes them that way, when she's sideways and upside down in the air is mindblowing.

They do absolutely have the best power in the world, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information