Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

Seerek

Looking at Skate Canada's secondary criteria for Olympics consideration, Alaine could have effectively pre-qualified had she performed better at either 2016 Four Continents or 2016 Worlds.

ETA: Thanks to Justin (aka Lambchop for Twitter followers) for providing a well researched and thorough preview of Canadian Nationals.

Last edited:

chantilly

^agreed.
I think her lack of a consistent coaching situation hasn't helped.
If I recall correctly she isn't in the best way financially either.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Looking at Skate Canada's secondary criteria for Olympics consideration, Alaine could have effectively pre-qualified had she performed better at either 2016 Four Continents or 2016 Worlds.

ETA: Thanks to Justin (aka Lambchop for Twitter followers) for providing a well researched and thorough preview of Canadian Nationals.

Any truth to the rumour they talked about that Gabby is going back to last year's long program?

Osmond4gold

Okay, are these guys that naïve or just misinformed? "They haven't had the best GP season"...HELLO, Kaetlyn won a Gold and 2 Bronze medals in her 3 events, and finished the GP Final within a point of Silver. Also, how can one possibly mention the women & men without including names like Alicia or Keegan, in the conversation. I think this Seattle boy and his counterpart, who admits that he just discovered Nick, should best concentrate on his 2 months at Harvard, rather than Canadian Skating. I had to actually stop watching mid-way, due to such poor representation of Canadian skating.

Next time guys, there should not be a next time!

Last edited:

puglover

While I could certainly see some blanks in their knowledge of Canadian skaters, I found them both to be positive and refreshing. I enjoyed the general feeling of support they gave to all skaters and didn't really hear catty, petty comments in their dialogue. They sound like busy guys but also have a real interest and passion for skating and actually seem to care about and cheer for some outside the borders of their own country. I hope they keep going, keep improving - I liked their attitude. I will admit, I have never watched before so I am basing my feelings on this one interview only.

Osmond4gold

^^ I wish I had your charity puglover, but I do appreciate your opinion. I also wish I could ignore the gaffs, but as a skating fan, I find their 'blanks' or lack of awareness, rather frustrating.

puglover

I hear ya! I also appreciate how frustrating it is to hear misinformation stated as fact. I live in Alberta, the home of Kurt Browning, and was just at an evening where the Olympics were talked about and someone asked if Kurt was still competing. Of course, they are not giving a podcast but when it comes to hockey - everyone seems to know the details down to the last point spread.

Seerek

While I could certainly see some blanks in their knowledge of Canadian skaters, I found them both to be positive and refreshing. I enjoyed the general feeling of support they gave to all skaters and didn't really hear catty, petty comments in their dialogue. They sound like busy guys but also have a real interest and passion for skating and actually seem to care about and cheer for some outside the borders of their own country. I hope they keep going, keep improving - I liked their attitude. I will admit, I have never watched before so I am basing my feelings on this one interview only.

Justin has done a reasonably good job keeping up with the entire grand prix series, and providing opportunities for a whole array of co-hosts.

Along with Kanishka, there are videos with co-hosts Alokya (US Nationals), Tiffany, Nicole and Beth.

Last edited:

fsfann

I hear ya! I also appreciate how frustrating it is to hear misinformation stated as fact. I live in Alberta, the home of Kurt Browning, and was just at an evening where the Olympics were talked about and someone asked if Kurt was still competing. Of course, they are not giving a podcast but when it comes to hockey - everyone seems to know the details down to the last point spread.

Agree with all of this. I found it all very frustrating. They also didn't even mention Stephen Gogolev which is insane....

barbarafan

Okay, are these guys that naïve or just misinformed? "They haven't had the best GP season"...HELLO, Kaetlyn won a Gold and 2 Bronze medals in her 3 events, and finished the GP Final within a point of Silver. Also, how can one possibly mention the women & men without including names like Alicia or Keegan, in the conversation. I think this Seattle boy and his counterpart, who admits that he just discovered Nick, should best concentrate on his 2 months at Harvard, rather than Canadian Skating. I had to actually stop watching mid-way, due to such poor representation of Canadian skating.

I enjoyed their video and appreciated having their opinions. As they are not cdns they have not seen the local competitions to see who has come up from Juniors this yr . As well if you compared Kaitlyn's performance at Worlds where she came close to Med last yr her results this yr are not what was expected. I see you have just joined FSU so perhaps you are not aware that normally we do not rudely attack as you have done.

Osmond4gold

I enjoyed their video and appreciated having their opinions. As they are not cdns they have not seen the local competitions to see who has come up from Juniors this yr . As well if you compared Kaitlyn's performance at Worlds where she came close to Med last yr her results this yr are not what was expected. I see you have just joined FSU so perhaps you are not aware that normally we do not rudely attack as you have done.
I don't think I was alone in believing, as others have also referenced, there was a lack of depth of knowledge in their delivery. Re Kaetlyn, anyone who has followed KO's career knows, she tends to peak later in the season, so the comparison to last years Worlds results, is a moot point at this stage.

Nice to meet you, barbarafan, and I look forward to future discussion, in "the Great Debate''.

Last edited:

mackiecat

But they could have easily watched Minto, BBC summer skate or Thornhill to see the up and coming. Challenge was just on also. I found their vlog too superficial and I didn't gain any new knowledge from it.

Osmond4gold

But they could have easily watched Minto, BBC summer skate or Thornhill to see the up and coming. Challenge was just on also. I found their vlog too superficial and I didn't gain any new knowledge from it.

Thank you mackiecat, but to criticize on here in 'Great Debate', is considered 'rude' by some on FSU.

Maybe it is me because I'm a newbie and don't know your ways, but if one has limited knowledge on a subject matter and they do not take the time to educate, or have the interest to actually watch Canadian comps., then why make a video in the first place? For the record, I would never make a video on the state on Russian skating, as I do not have the knowledge, interest, or passion.

IMO, the lack of insightfulness was telling, and the info 'superficial', as you mentioned, ...just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

coppertop1

Good call. Her current LP wasn't working at all. I don't understand why they chose that arrangement.

Reactions: liv

Jarrett

Go Mirai!

Just a suggestion but you could post a comment on the video to help with get them informed since you seem passionate about the subject. Your post and subsequent posts seem rather insulting and personal for no reason. Good luck to Gabby!

Osmond4gold

hile hearing
Just a suggestion but you could post a comment on the video to help with get them informed since you seem passionate about the subject. Your post and subsequent posts seem rather insulting and personal for no reason. Good luck to Gabby!

I find it difficult to listen to casual observers who feel they are experts, and to make comments they know little about? I refuse to contribute to their claim of legitimacy while hearing comments such as, "Osmond had a bad season", and suggestions of "Nick...who?" Why waste my time.

Just my opinion, Jarrett.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information