Canada officially announces bid for 2024 World Championships

manhn

Vancouver for 2021 Skate Canada, Calgary for 2023 Jr Worlds (although, I'm scared about how cold it will be), and Montreal for 2024 Worlds (make it happen!). Guess I won't be traveling internationally for skating events the next quad.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm so torn! I want Montreal to get it because they wuz robbed of Worlds last year. But San Jose is within driving distance, which means I could likely attend as opposed to Montreal which is completely out of the picture for me.

skategal

Bunny mama
There are International sporting events going ahead right now in Alberta (while they have the worst CV rates in North America) so I’d guess it will go ahead?

Colonel Green

There are International sporting events going ahead right now in Alberta (while they have the worst CV rates in North America) so I’d guess it will go ahead?
Setting aside hypothetical provincial objections, the biggest question is what federal travel restrictions are in place at that point. International skating competitions cannot happen with the two-week quarantine in place.

skategal

Bunny mama
Setting aside hypothetical provincial objections, the biggest question is what federal travel restrictions are in place at that point. International skating competitions cannot happen with the two-week quarantine in place.
What did they do for the World Curling and World Jr Hockey also held in Alberta?

The same 2 week quarantine restrictions would have been in place also during those competitions.

Did those athletes have an exemption?

I doubt the province of Alberta will object to having a sports event especially when most residents will be at least one dose vaccinated.

They haven’t cancelled any other sporting events yet.

Colonel Green

What did they do for the World Curling and World Jr Hockey also held in Alberta?

The same 2 week quarantine restrictions would have been in place also during those competitions.

Did those athletes have an exemption?
The World Juniors had a full bubble with quarantine on arrival and a lot of testing.

The curling championships had a slightly modified protocol, but you had to arrive and isolate for a week beforehand and then remain in the bubble.

skategal

Bunny mama
The World Juniors had a full bubble with quarantine on arrival and a lot of testing.

The curling championships had a slightly modified protocol, but you had to arrive and isolate for a week beforehand and then remain in the bubble.
Suspect it would be similar then for figure skating.

They were going to do a bubble concept in Halifax for the World Women’s Hockey (3 day quarantine + multiple tests) but it was cancelled when CV blew up here.

Erin

Banned Member
, Calgary for 2023 Jr Worlds (although, I'm scared about how cold it will be)
If there is a chinook that week, it could be warmer than Vancouver. I’ve only been through one March in Calgary and it was great, but I’m assuming I can’t judge them all by this one.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Colorado Springs and Las Vegas bid on 2023 Four Continents but it was awarded to Sydney, Australia, due to 2021 4CC there being cancelled. I wonder why CS or LV didn't try to get 2024 instead?
Competition for ISU events is at the country / member federation level and countries can't submit multiple bids with different locations. So if the U.S. bid, it was with a single, designated location (in your example, either the Springs or Vegas - USFS would have chosen), and the ISU then awarded the event to Australia, who bid with the event being held in Sydney.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Competition for ISU events is at the country / member federation level and countries can't submit multiple bids with different locations. So if the U.S. bid, it was with a single, designated location (in your example, either the Springs or Vegas - USFS would have chosen), and the ISU then awarded the event to Australia, who bid with the event being held in Sydney.
JSF did for 2014 for Tokyo or Saitama and were awarded, but then again it was the JSF with all those lucrative TV rights and sponsors. :bribe:

Erin

Banned Member

JSF did for 2014 for Tokyo or Saitama and were awarded, but then again it was the JSF with all those lucrative TV rights and sponsors. :bribe:

Even without JSF money, that is exactly what USFS did for 2023 4CC, put the bid in for the US, saying it would be one of Vegas or CO Springs.

Canada also did it for 2023 Jr Worlds, saying it would be one of Calgary/Winnipeg/Regina and we only found out the city when the bid was awarded to Calgary. I assume that Canada won the bid and then it was Skate Canada that picked Calgary at that point, but I don’t know for sure.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's press release today (June 8):
The International Skating Union (ISU) has provisionally awarded the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024 to Skate Canada, who will host the event in Montréal, Quebec. This premier sporting event will be held at the Centre Bell from March 18-24, 2024. [...]
“After recently being named President of Skate Canada, I am thrilled that we will welcome the world to Montréal for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024,” said Skate Canada President Karen Butcher. “This is an exciting time for all of us at Skate Canada, and we feel we have a little unfinished business to take care of at Centre Bell. We look forward to the opportunity to host this prestigious event.” [...]
Join our exclusive mailing list to receive event and ticket information for the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information