California fires

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I did not see a thread about the wild fires in Southern and Northern California, so here it is. They are in the headline news everyday.

I am posting from the iPad, so I cannot post a link. There are many. May be someone can post some. It will be at least an hour before I can get on my computer.

Nine people are dead. :( Malibu had to be evacuated, among other areas. The loss of property is going to be staggering, but the loss of life is worse.

This morning they reported that people had to leave their belongings and run. Some even left their cars behind. :(

Usually times like these are very sad for pets.

How are Fsuers doing? I hope everyone is safe.

Last edited:

Peaches LaTour

Ventura is my old stomping grounds & the place I will always consider "home". I am a California Girl.

Although this fire does not threaten Ventura itself, any destruction in California hurts my heart.

I was particularly sorry to learn that Paramount Ranch has been lost. I have so many wonderful memories of times I spent there and worked hard many years ago to save it from "developers". I hope it will be rebuilt but I truly doubt it. To those of you who ever watched, "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" the western town in that series was Paramount Ranch.

Wishing safety to all those in harm's way & a prayer that the Santa Anna winds will stop soon.

WildRose

The death toll in the Camp Fire has grown to 23. :(

I am safe for now, but have my bag ready if I need to leave. Thankfully, the people I know in Paradise were able to evacuate safely, but they have lost their homes. It's just saddening and surreal to think that an entire town is basically gone.

I have been following the news about these fires for the last couple of days and it’s heartbreaking. Please stay safe and know that people around the world are thinking of Californians as they fight for their lives, their homes and their beautiful state.

TheGirlCanSkate

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My heart breaks for California. It was almost a second home to me while my brother was living. I always thought of it as the paradise on the west coast, and wanted to move there, but for the high cost of homes. So I was content with visiting once every 2-3 months.

My favorite state has been ravaged by wildfires for the last several years and the fires are more frequent and bigger. Earth quakes were never uncommon, but these fires are worrisome. Climate change is showing its teeth.

Last night I saw on our local TV that more than a hundred Arizona firefighters are headed for CA. Half of them will be helping in northern CA. The rest will be waiting for a call. Firefighters are a rare breed. They risk their lives to save people and their properties. I am so grateful to all the firefighters, from many states who are helping. We need somevorayers to stop the wind and bring some rain.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
The NBC NHK program on Ch4 here in LA, was interrupted by the fire press conference.

I guess there are more important things in life.

God bless our firefighters and police.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
CA news keeps getting worse. They found 2 more bodies, bringing the number of deaths to 25. About 100 are still missing :(

Lacey

25 DEATHS, with more to come since over 100 are missing or yet to be discovered, in one of our dream locations in the west coast of America--this is an unimaginable very solemn occasion. Sorry, I don't care what one's leanings are, to bring politics into a situation (or into 3 currently different fires) is horrible, no despicable. To blame such a thing on forestry mismanagement is ignorant.

Our president spent many many many US taxpayer dollars to go to Paris to an admirably historic affair honoring those from all countries including ours who lost their lives in WWI. He missed the final destination when his helicopter understandably could not fly due to weather concerns, but he then didn't want to spend 4 hours in a car instead (like all of the other attendees)--so he skipped the ceremony, just plain didn't go to the main point of the whole weekend. Now he has been caught, exposed for being the coward that he was by staying in Paris and not going, and people are mad at and mimicking him, and he feels the need to deflect attention off of him, whose political party lost the congressional majority because people voted against him just this week. It really has been a down time for him, but he can't dare take any of his failures out on the poor souls who live and work in California, who valiantly volunteer in fires, much less on those who died. Could the numbers of sufferers have been lower if government had been present?

Just as with his almost nonexistent help to those who suffered in Puerto Rico last year during the hurricane, I would ask our supposed leader: where is the US Government assistance, does the federal government have a National Emergency Management system? Think of what they could have done in Puerto Rico and now all over California to assist those in need. Someone should organize a system of firefighters and volunteers to go out in cases of extreme need. I believe one group is coming from one nearby state, well, the US Government needs to send them from all states, send people and planes, organize food and shelter, for the survivors.

I do believe this is a time that a public apology is called for. Eat crow, do not blame forest fires on anyone but perhaps nature, and get to work. I am so very sad and shocked for these people who suffered and or died, some of them trapped in their houses or in their cars, trying to escape. I cringe that any babies or children might have been involved. We must honor those who were or are in trouble, always, forever after, even by showing respect at worldwide cemeteries, such as outside of Paris, and now here.

Last edited:

Japanfan

He missed the final destination when his helicopter understandably could not fly due to weather concerns, but he then didn't want to spend 4 hours in a car instead (like all of the other attendees)--so he skipped the ceremony, just plain didn't go to the main point of the whole weekend.

But of course he didn't skip the free dinner and photo ops.

I do believe this is a time that a public apology is called for. Eat crow, do not blame forest fires on anyone but perhaps nature, and get to work.

Trump issue a public apology?

I'd be surprised if he ever genuinely apologized for anything in his life.

TheGirlCanSkate

The town of Paradise lost schools - this outlines the bravery and commitment of staff to keep students safe - what the article doesn't tell you is that the very staff who stayed with kids lost their homes and vehicles left at the school. Some children spent the night at the church in Chico and the staff stayed with them until families picked up the next day. The last article I read said 5 kids were not picked up Friday. I'm hoping that they were reunited with their families.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...li_jHEtD6Z74kaXQsUmzNy9OCClZp5m7UmYhuL8G3m5Lw

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
They are now reporting 31 dead and 200 still missing. Shelters are full. The air quality in the North Bay (Paridise...Camp Fire) is worse than Beijing. You can't see, and you can't breathe. Even if the air looks clear it is filled with horrid particulates that you cannot see.

We are not in the path of the fires in Butte County. (Camp Fire). Butte is about 2 ½ hours north of here. That said, the entire North Bay (from Golden Gate Bridge up) is under a fire watch, and things are so dry it just take a puff of wind to throw a spark in a new area.

What we do have is smoke. I can’t see the hills from where I am sitting, on a hill overlooking Petaluma and out to the hills). The air quality is so horrible. I am kind of holed up at home (which is fine with me).

Now to the south. I lived in Malibu for 20 years. I evacuated there 3 times for fire. People think of Malibu as the beach, but the other side of the highway goes up the hill and into the brush. And that brush is a hop skip and a jump over to Thousand Oaks.

When they called the evacuation of Malibu all I could think is the two lanes in and two lanes out. And that is it. You certainly could not go over the hills to Thousand Oaks or Hidden Hills, etc. It must have been a nightmare. I get really annoyed about the reports in the press about the movie stars who are worried about their homes. I get it....worry is worry.....but those people can rebuild or go to one of their other homes. There are 12,000 people who live in Malibu……….regular people, in regular homes who are not rich, and cannot rebuild easily. And then factor in there is a finite number of builders, lumber, etc.....and you end up in a bad place. Thousand Oaks is a bedroom community. Some stars live there. All of the above applies. And all this does not even take into account the devistation to tiny Paradise.

And President Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although what he said is mostly accurate he was a total A$$ for saying it while people are trying to save each other, and Cal Fire personnel are risking their lives to rescue people, and search for missing people, collect bones and parts of people for identification. The State (I Think)

Ban on removal of live oaks in California
"The state of California bans the removal of certain native trees, including oak trees. Oak trees existed in the state during ancient times, according to the city of Los Angeles, and were used by Native Americans and Spaniards living in the area. Homeowners have the right to remove trees that pose a health or safety risk, but they must petition the city before removing the tree."

It is just a mess. Please continue to keep everyone in your prayers. They are going to need it. And, please keep this thread non-political.

BTW - Someone (Fed or State) is sending a mobile DNA station. People who are missing someone can have their DNA registered so that fragments or unidentifiable bodies can be tested against the DNA on file.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Any fsuers affected by the wildfires, please let us know you and your family are safe.

Lacey

Saw a woman on US national news talking about escaping the burning fire in a car on the highway, and they couldn't stop for a mother running down the highway holding her baby. OMG, there are no words. I am so afraid the death toll will rise, there are many many missing, but lots of people have lost their cell phones or have no service, so maybe there is hope for some and the missing will be found? It's all so traumatizing. Rain is not expected until next week. I am so sad for all involved.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I have questions about the warning systems/processes for evacuation, but I don't want to come off as an asshole, because it is genuine curiosity and not me trying to be a dick about anything.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I have questions about the warning systems/processes for evacuation, but I don't want to come off as an asshole, because it is genuine curiosity and not me trying to be a dick about anything.
From what I have read about the fire, I don't think there was really enough time - not just to evacuate but to even realize just how badly this fire was going to blow up. The initial fire was spotted around 6:45am - first tweet from @CALFIRE_ButteCo came at 6:51am when it was 10 acres and spreading (not uncommon). The first evacuation, for the town nearest the fire, Pulga, came at 7:23am from the Butte County Sheriff. The next tweet was at 8:02am, when it had grown to 1000 acres, and a minute later they called for the eastern portion of Paradise to evacuate. At 8:41am, the tweet evacuating most of central Paradise came through, with it being expanded 10 minutes later.

By then, most people were probably already at work, so there wasn't time to go home and grab any personal belongings or pets. And, given that one of the main roads heading south and out of danger was already under evacuation orders, I'm not sure how much traffic was being allowed out in that direction, but was instead being funneled down 2-3 other roads that headed south and southwest away from the fire zone. As it was, some of the burning embers still managed to fly in the wind and cross a major highway southwest of Paradise and just south of Chico, though thankfully, the fire was contained just on the west side of the highway.

My friend who made it out with her grandmother posted on her FB at 10:53am that they had made it out safely. By that point most of Paradise as well as the town just to the north of it, Magalia, had been evacuated - looking at the evacuation zone maps, the only parts of Paradise not under evacuation orders at that point were the far southwestern, outlying parts of town. At 11:15am, @CALFIRE_ButteCo tweeted that the fire had grown to 5000 acres, and at 1:02pm, it was 8000 acres. The last part of Paradise to be evacuated occurred at 1:36pm.

To be honest, it is a minor miracle that the winds died down last Thursday night and Friday, otherwise it is quite possible that portions of Chico would have burned as well. This fire is not unlike the Tubbs fire that swept through Santa Rosa and the other ones that affected the Napa and Sonoma valleys last year. I will say, having lived in the West my entire life and having a brother who worked for the National Forest Service as a firefighter during the summer of 1994 (a very bad year - most infamous for the 9 Hot Shot firefighters who died in Colorado), that people who live in these mountain communities are very aware of the persistent fire danger and do take the necessary precautions. I'm just not sure, with the number of people living in that area, as well as the lack of proper line maintenance by PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric), the inability of the Department of the Interior to correctly manage our forests (and before anyone attempts to politicize this to blame Trump - these forest mismanagement policies have been going on since at least the mid-80s thanks to lawsuits from groups like the Sierra Club), the refusal of the state, county and local governments to enact appropriate, fire-resistant building codes, etc that we can realistically expect a different outcome than the one Paradise had. I kind of just shake my head and thank God I don't live in California anymore and pray that the same issues with big-city Democrats taking over the state legislature down there don't have the same impact on our forest management practices here in Oregon.

To follow up, I did find this article, from the San Jose Mercury News that is pretty disturbing regarding the evacuation alerts, on so many levels - https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11...phone-alerts-to-evacuate-or-to-warn-of-fires/

Last edited:

Cachoo

To all of the people fighting the fires and to all of those who put patients from hospitals and care homes into their cars and made the long, frightening journey to safety---I have no words except God bless you. And RIP to the men, women, children and animals who lost their lives. I hope the missing are alive and just lost in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information