Boyang withdrew from gpf?

AYS

🌻
I love this autocorrect! :rofl: I just saw it on twitter from ISU too. Jason in.

Frida80

Unbelievable! First Zhenia, now Boyang! :(

I knew that his ankles were really bothering him, so I guess this isn’t a total surprise. And it’s a really good move, since the Olympics are soon and he should focus on healing. But this is still sad to hear.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Injuries and elite athletes go hand and hand, regardless of the sport. Pushing the body to the limit athletically in any sport will lead to injuries, many times chronic.
Ask any golfer about their back, or pretty much any athlete certainly at the elite level of their sport, albeit hobby athletes suffer injuries as well.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The difference between skating and a lot of other sports though is that because it is a judged sport, the governing body can change the criteria to de-emphasize aspects that may cause more injury.

I hope they will do that. Quads are boring.

BittyBug

Disgusted
The difference between skating and a lot of other sports though is that because it is a judged sport, the governing body can change the criteria to de-emphasize aspects that may cause more injury.

I hope they will do that. Quads are boring.
Maybe the skaters could use bubble wrap for their costumes. Sport is about skill and pushing boundaries. If I wanted to see watered down content, I'd go to an exhibition.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Maybe the skaters could use bubble wrap for their costumes. Sport is about skill and pushing boundaries. If I wanted to see watered down content, I'd go to an exhibition.

Well that depends on what you consider content. I think different aspects can be emphasized. I don't think that limiting the number of quads that could be attempted would water it down, I think the sport is watered down when the emphasis is too much on jumps. Quads are boring. I'd say limit men to two per long program.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Well that depends on what you consider content. I think different aspects can be emphasized. I don't think that limiting the number of quads that could be attempted would water it down, I think the sport is watered down when the emphasis is too much on jumps. Quads are boring. I'd say limit men to two per long program.
Figure skating is an Olympic sport. Citius, Altius, Fortius.

Rock2

Many top sports are going through this because of concussions and injuries. A lot of athletes leave their sport with chronic physical issues. Sad, the sacrifices that are made. You're almost ok with it at the time but when you leave the sport, it's rough as their is no thrill to offset the pain.

Steps are being taken in many places. Equipment is changing and in the National Hockey League they have implemented very stiff penalties for hacking another player's hands with their stick. A few guys almost lost their fingers last year...literally.

skatfan

Thrilled for Jason, really hope that Boyang can heal up to be ready for th Olympics. The GPF is now a mini US Nationals for the mens’ Olympic spots.

lala

Ask any golfer about their back, or pretty much any athlete certainly at the elite level of their sport, albeit hobby athletes suffer injuries as well.
And the gymnasts..Need to forbid the hard elements in their routines!

bardtoob

I am sorry to hear that Jin's injury is major enough that he has to withdraw.

chattila

Thrilled for Jason, really hope that Boyang can heal up to be ready for th Olympics. The GPF is now a mini US Nationals for the mens’ Olympic spots.

I'm sorry that Max Aaron couldn't make it FOUR US men at the GP Finals, as we thought he might after doing so well at his first GP event. Darn.

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, first we will forbid quads. Then in athletic we will forbid running under certain time, because it takes toll on the athletes’ body, and then there will be no need any sports that measures speed because after we ban ‘too fast’ running/driving/riding/swimming etc, there will be more competition. From skating and gymnastics we will make show skating and show gymnastics... lovely.

WildRose

Boyang pretty much has a guaranteed spot at the Olympics, and he has no need to make a name for himself with the judges by doing another competition before then. Why risk aggregating an injury so close to the Olympics? Really it’s a smart move for him not to do what is essentially a meaningless competition. David Pelletier and Kurt Browning have talked about how for established contenders it was better not to go to the Grand Prix final in an Olympic Year. Boyang would fit into that group (as do Fernandez, Hanyu and Chan). Nathen Chen would be wise not to go either.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see more WDs before next week, especially from NA or Canadian skaters.

It's like 4CC in an Olympic year. None of the Olympic team from the US will go and probably not the Canadian team either. Too far, too close to the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information