Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

Orm Irian

I love this show so much. The quality was great tonight, especially for the first show.
Interesting that in Vanessa’s intro piece, Morgan wasn’t shown.
I'm looking forward to the programs going up on YouTube!

Vanessa has been putting a lot of work into quietly distancing herself from him in the public eye, without ever saying a single direct word about what she's doing or why. Even when she announced her BotB partner on Instagram and had the usual flurry of people asking whether she was still skating with Morgan, the only thing she said in reply that I saw was variations on a theme of 'Morgan and I have decided to retire' - i.e., making no reference whatsoever to being on the ice with him again, even in a show skating capacity. So it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't show him in her intro.

I have no good opinion of her failure to speak out about his actions on moral grounds, though it did occur to me recently that she may be acting on legal advice there, but if she wants to have any sort of ongoing career in the skating world separating herself and her career from him is something she'd absolutely have to do. With him, she's a liability to any potential employer; without him, she's an asset, especially to Canadians who can claim her as a hometown girl.

Debrah

I have been trying to vote since the end of the show it is now 1:20 AM on 23rd and when I follow the link and finally get to the "vote now" page, and try to click on the Vote now absolutely nothing happens, I also tried going to the Vote button at top of the page and it is a loop that just goes back thus to nowhere and does nothing!!! The Facebook link leads to season 5, not 6, so that does not help either and I am beyond frustrated esp since we fans are only able to vote during 1st 3 episodes ( I live in Quebec so should be eligible to vote). What is going on? In comparison to the previous seasons that were extremely well set up in terms of for performance reviews online and also the site itself made it easy to vote for one's fav team, I realize Covid has likely impacted the production in terms of availability of workers with expertise but this wasn't their 1st rodeo and they even had extra time to get things done... Am I doing something wrong? Anyone still up?

Last edited:

Debrah

Yippee, I finally was able to vote at 1:51 AM, very different rules this season...

Colleen

I just voted, used the link posted here without any problems. Glad you were able to vote! I’m so happy the show is back. The hockey players have really upped their game - remember the first season when most stayed in hockey skates for most of the season?

Sk8tn

I just voted, used the link posted here without any problems. Glad you were able to vote! I’m so happy the show is back. The hockey players have really upped their game - remember the first season when most stayed in hockey skates for most of the season?
I think seeing last year’s winner include parts of Yankee Polka and the Blues pattern dances and lots of clean turns and twizzles might have set the bar higher for skating skills.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
2 articles from IFS - this one is dated Oct. 28:
Campbell and Hill are working with 2006 Olympic ice dance silver medalist Ben Agosto and choreographer Katherine Hill. Both said they love the experience. “Ben and Katherine are incredible, such a dynamic force,” said Campbell. “It is so fun because they can demonstrate everything they are trying to teach and are great communicators. Ben is really passionate about the sport and teaching and they both have so much passion and energy … we are all just having a blast.”
Hill had previously met Agosto on the set of the Cirque du Soleil show ‘Axel’ when it was rehearsing in Montréal. “I wanted to visit a friend and while he was practicing I got to talk a little bit with Ben who was choreographing my friend’s program, so we had a little bit of rapport,” Hill recalled. “He is such a lovely man, very positive, and a go getter. He has great vibes.”

Published before the Oct. 22nd premiere:
Aliu had also never before worked with a choreographer. He feels very fortunate to have David Wilson assigned to the team and said working with him has been an inspiring experience. “He has been unbelievable. He is my favorite human on earth I think. Vanessa is a close second, but David is No. 1 for me. He is so personable, I love him.
“The culture of figure skating is a lot different to hockey, which is very macho, and you put up this persona as if you are tough. But figure skating is a little more raw and emotional. To be honest, I think I have learned a lot and I believe David and I are going to be friends for a long time. I am privileged and honoured to have met him and I think he is a beautiful human.
“But, choreography is hard. Everything is so different than what I am used to, which is read and react, so that is obviously how my brain is wired. Remembering little steps here and there … Vanessa is really good — she talks to me while we skate, which helps a lot. I forget little steps here and there — it has not been as hard as I thought it would be, but I would never say it is easy.”

Sylvia

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'd never heard of the World Extreme Pairs championship until today. Google gives me a lot of references to it in relation to the BotB skater claiming that title, but I don't see anything about the championship itself.

skategal

Bunny mama
Really liking the show but I wish the music choices were better.

I remember Halloween shows from previous seasons that had much better music choices.

Anemone

I continue to be impressed by the quality of the skating on this show. This season is already exceptional. I just keep thinking back to the first couple of seasons and it's amazing how much the quality has improved.

Agreed. Really, the quality is good enough that I wish no one had to go home, and that it could be something like the winner is the pair with the highest total score across all the weeks or something. There is not one performance yet that I have watched that I have not enjoyed in some way.
Don't remember which of the early seasons it was, but I remember them doing a fluff piece showing some of the training, practice etc and I remember them not permitting the guys to lift the women over their heads etc for safety reasons. Now you look at the lifts the hockey guys are doing and they have learned a lot in a short space of time.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I admit I’m disappointed in some ways. The skating performances keeps getting better and better, but it’s still a bit of a gong show. I wish each team was skating for one charity instead of each skater. It would make it easier to know who they’re skating for. I’m a huge fan of charities and they need more exposure than just a glib during the first episode. I’m neutral about Ron, not that impressed with the new host (couldn’t we find someone who could skate?!?), and even more disappointed in Kurt’s “new role”. I had hoped to hear some interesting insights from him. Judges are great, you can tell they are excited and pleased to be there. Why can’t they skip the elimination and just make the bottom two do a shoot off instead? Bring a little more hockey in there and keep a running total of points

Sylvia

Japanfan

I’m neutral about Ron, not that impressed with the new host (couldn’t we find someone who could skate?!?), and even more disappointed in Kurt’s “new role”. I had hoped to hear some interesting insights from him.

Kurt's role is entirely unnecessary. He doesn't need to be there at all. But he is because it's Canada, and he's Kurt Browning. I've never been a fan myself TBH, and started watching skating at the end of his career ('94 Olympics, but didn't start watching regularly until 1998). Perhaps I would be a fan if I had followed his career.

In my view, he has a hugely inflated ego. He always manages to work "I" or "Me" into his commentary, making it about himself.

Last edited:

Anemone

And he has been associated with the show from the beginning.
I didn't like him as a judge, and am just so-so on him as a host.
I think this might have been CBC's way of keeping him associated with the show, while minimizing his role.

skategal

Bunny mama
I was thinking that Kurt would have a role broadcasting behind the scenes stuff from backstage. That would have been much better.

Or even if he was interviewing the contestants that just skated while waiting for the others to skate it would have been better..

His contributions are kind of wasted where he is now.

Lemonade20

And he has been associated with the show from the beginning.
I didn't like him as a judge, and am just so-so on him as a host.
I think this might have been CBC's way of keeping him associated with the show, while minimizing his role.
To be honest, the only role Kurt is really good at is skating. Just skate Kurt, we don’t need you to talk at all. Let your feet do all the talking. That’s your role!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
To be honest, the only role Kurt is really good at is skating. Just skate Kurt, we don’t need you to talk at all. Let your feet do all the talking. That’s your role!
THIS! A thousand times this. Unlike @Japanfan I'm a huge fan of his skating, not so much from his competitive days but from his professional career. I've seen him live from an on-ice seat in Stars On Ice several times, and in many skating shows on TV and he's almost always electric. For me two of the most iconic numbers he's ever done are the original made-for-TV Singing in the Rain, and the made-for-shows Rag-Gidon the Clown which I've seen live. Both are absolutely brilliant IMO. I can't stand him as a commentator, judge, interviewer, whatever. Just skate Kurt!

Kurt talks only for a minute or so at the beginning of this:

Colleen

Just got to watching tonight, id have a hard time choosing a favourite. I love the show - and am so impressed with the level of skating. My only negative is the new host. She doesn’t seem to know much about skating or the skaters. If they want someone to increase the online presence at least pick someone who knows skating!

Lemonade20

Just got to watching tonight, id have a hard time choosing a favourite. I love the show - and am so impressed with the level of skating. My only negative is the new host. She doesn’t seem to know much about skating or the skaters. If they want someone to increase the online presence at least pick someone who knows skating!
I was secretly hoping Kaetlyn Osmond would be the new host. She can skate, is gorgeous and also smart. Pretty sure she’s social media savvy too

Skate Talker

Sooo - seems nobody who has posted about Keisha(sp?) actually seems to think she is right for this show. I think she is doing a good job and I'm so thankful she has relieved us of last season's "solo-Ron" hosting nightmare. He never knew when to quit talking at a million miles an hour with many the pithy pun and obscure reference. In my opinion, solo-Ron, Kurt as head judge, and the constant pointless parade of actors from other CBC shows were close to ruining last season even with all the brilliant skating. (Though at least they ended up with the right team winning imo.) This season is so much better.

As with all these audience-voter competitions it comes down to popularity and name recognition more than talent and hard work. I'm not a fan but in the age of social media the public apparently has to have a say or they don't become invested. But imo this year's judging panel is so much better than in the past, even when I don't agree with them, that I at least get the illusion of good skating / good performances being rewarded accordingly. (So far Elladj has been the best of the 3 for me.)

Kurt - what to say? Well originally as a co-host he at least kept Ron somewhat in check and was provided lots of opportunities to entertain us with his unique skating skills. As a judge - total failure and I pretty sure he did not enjoy doing it either. This year, as has been mentioned, he has not as yet been given much time to say anything and has not imo contributed to the show. I had expected his role to be more like his bit spots at worlds when he was on NBC and explained different components & elements including demos. Those were useful spots as opposed to trying to hype up rivalries between competitors. It didn't help that CBC decided to highlight the trash talk about the hockey player with MS by a former adversary. Very mean-spirited and in poor taste. Anyway if it's between Kurt and someone like the star of Kim's Convenience having meaningless face time on a skating show I'm all for keeping Kurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information