Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

shutterbug

The videos from last night's episode are now posted on BOTB's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cbcbattle/?hl=en

A little sad to see Jennifer and Eric leave, but very happy they put in their press lift before they were eliminated. :cheer2: Trying to remember, has a female hockey player ever been put up in an overhead lift before? Jessica and Asher were deservedly awarded top marks, but I have to say I was pleased that Jessica was back in pants. As a smaller female hockey player she looks very much like an actual ice dancer in a dress, but the disconnect with her (understandably!) still slightly rough around the edges skating style made it hard for me to enjoy them. Was also impressed that they've started adding pattern dance steps in their programs, the Kilian last week and the Silver Samba this week.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I loved this week's episode, all the numbers were sooo good. Very sad to see Jennifer & Eric leave, along with Andrew & Meghan (who really improved too!).

Alvyne

The videos from last night's episode are now posted on BOTB's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cbcbattle/?hl=en

A little sad to see Jennifer and Eric leave, but very happy they put in their press lift before they were eliminated. :cheer2: Trying to remember, has a female hockey player ever been put up in an overhead lift before? Jessica and Asher were deservedly awarded top marks, but I have to say I was pleased that Jessica was back in pants. As a smaller female hockey player she looks very much like an actual ice dancer in a dress, but the disconnect with her (understandably!) still slightly rough around the edges skating style made it hard for me to enjoy them. Was also impressed that they've started adding pattern dance steps in their programs, the Kilian last week and the Silver Samba this week.
Tessa Bonhomme with David Pelletier did many overhead lifts and even a death spiral in week 1

Last edited:

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Akim Aliu article:
It’s also why he is even more grateful than usual for the prompting that was provided by his girlfriend and family, the encouragement that was needed to take a leap of faith into the Battle of the Blades, 2020 edition.

“I am forever thankful to them for pushing me to do this,” said Aliu, preparing for another all-important appearance with partner Vanessa James on the popular CBC show this Thursday night. “I didn’t agree to do it until basically the last second. I was hesitant about doing it, just because I am still active as a player and I wasn’t sure how that would be looked upon.”

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The semi-final is done and next week is the final. The two couples in the skate-off tonight were surprising but I think the judges got it right.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
The semi-final is done and next week is the final. The two couples in the skate-off tonight were surprising but I think the judges got it right.
I agree.
I don't understand a final of 4 couples. They've not had that before. It used to be three. So weird. it's as if they couldn't afford to stretch it out one more week.
I want Asher and partner to win - they've brought it every week.

greenapple

That there are four teams remaining makes me wonder if CBC plans to have a final skate off between the top two or the bottom two teams in the final, just to make it even more interesting.

DE93

I agree.
I don't understand a final of 4 couples. They've not had that before. It used to be three. So weird. it's as if they couldn't afford to stretch it out one more week.
I want Asher and partner to win - they've brought it every week.
I don't know this for sure, but I wonder if it may have something to do with having to delay starting the season by a week and therefore having one less episode?

Lemonade20

I think you're right. They got delayed by a week but they can't make up for it. They did have a tie and then a double elimination, so that leaves the final four in place. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. Will the judges' votes count along with ours? Or is it solely in our hands? So many great teams remaining. I hope Asher & Jennifer takes the win.

victorskid

I don't know this for sure, but I wonder if it may have something to do with having to delay starting the season by a week and therefore having one less episode?
Also, Ron made a point of mentioning last night that they had to do the training in "pods of two" so they would still need the same number, whether for 3 couples or for 4.

Scrufflet

It has been an odd season but I do applaud Bezic and all for trying to shake things up. Love the judges and I want to see Balde skate a number. Kurt is underused. Keisha seems to be trying to channel Tyra Banks and I wish she would stop yelling. The eliminations have been puzzling. I want Asher to win it. And I still don't know who Carlotta Edwards is! I also want to know who the coaches and choreos are; you just get glimpses. Dylan, Julie Marcotte and I think Paul Martini but that's all I know. Anyone else know?

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It has been an odd season but I do applaud Bezic and all for trying to shake things up. Love the judges and I want to see Balde skate a number. Kurt is underused. Keisha seems to be trying to channel Tyra Banks and I wish she would stop yelling. The eliminations have been puzzling. I want Asher to win it. And I still don't know who Carlotta Edwards is! I also want to know who the coaches and choreos are; you just get glimpses. Dylan, Julie Marcotte and I think Paul Martini but that's all I know. Anyone else know?
I too applaud Bezic et al for bringing this to us. Soooo much fun! I love this show even with a truncated season.
However I have some, um, suggestions. I hope they are listening.
Keshia has to go! I was prepared to warm up to her but she got worse as the show went on. Enough with her OTT yelling. It's cringe-worthy.
Don't care if I see Kurt or not. At 50+ he's past his best at skating (obvs) which was what he was always best at. But he's been an integral part of the show from day 1 so no matter what I imagine he's not going anywhere.
Let Eladj skate! Somehow in between judging get him on the ice. Sorry Kurt but he way outdoes you in entertainment value these days. And he's a better judge than you were.
Loved the 2 guys judging. Wish Natalie wouldn't yell so much. She's ok but I wish she'd bring a little more gravitas along with her enthusiasm!
And yes - more backstage filming, and an intro at least to the coaches and choreographers.

Lemonade20

You're so right @alilou. We need more backstage filming so we can see how they are taking on each week. It would be nice to know who their team is.

I would love to see Scott & Natalie take to the ice as a "team" and skate. Elladj needs to skate too, even if it's just a 20-second routine. He's very energetic and fun to watch. Kurt's age doesn't seem to slow him down as he can still do a double axel and a backflip to boot. But he is under-used, and I wish they tied in more backstage with Kurt there asking them more about their routine. Overall it's been a fantastic season and all the teams remaining are so well-deserving of taking that title.

Sylvia

And I still don't know who Carlotta Edwards is!
She has a very positive & uplifting Instagram account :): https://www.instagram.com/carlottaedwards/
I also want to know who the coaches and choreos are; you just get glimpses. Dylan, Julie Marcotte and I think Paul Martini but that's all I know. Anyone else know?
From what I gleaned via the competitors' Instagram accounts:

Asher & Jessica - Ben Agosto & Katherine Hill
Vanessa & Akim - David Wilson & Dylan Moscovitch
Carlotta & Kris - Michael Seibert & Tamas Sari
Meagan & Wojtek - Mark Pillay & Paul Martini
Kaitlyn & Bryan - Julie Marcotte & Cody Hay
Eric & Jennifer - Renee Roca? (choreographer by process of elimination)
Andrew & Meghan - Katia Gordeeva
Violetta & Anthony - Pete Dack (her husband) & Yuka Sato

Violetta's Instagram post from a week ago has a screen capture of the show's end credits that lists the names of the Skating Coaches and Artistic Team: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHg6VQ5rg9x/

ETA that Chris Nolan also was credited as one of the 8 skating coaches (along with Radford).

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
She has a very positive & uplifting Instagram account :): https://www.instagram.com/carlottaedwards/

Eric & Jennifer - Renee Roca? (by process of elimination)

Violetta's Instagram post from a week ago has a screen capture of the show's end credits that lists the names of the Skating Coaches and Artistic Team: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHg6VQ5rg9x/
@Sylvia you win the super-sleuth award of the year! Thank you!

Last edited:

Scrufflet

You are a treasure!

victorskid

You missed Chris Nolan from the coaches listed + Eric Radford is also listed as a coach and Andrew Poje as part of the "Artistic Team", @Sylvia

Skate Talker

I am not up for catching up on reading everything in this thread right now so some of this may already have been mentioned.

I slowed down the credits a couple of weeks ago, mostly to see who all the coaches and choreographers were and noted that Kurt's only credit was as expert analyst. He had no creator or producer credit.

The finalists - A few weeks ago I was not happy that Carlotta & Kris and Vanessa & Akim were somehow still in the competition despite what I considered continually inferior skates. Last week and this week Vanessa & Akim really improved imho; especially this week the speed was amazing. Carlotta & Kris finally had a really good skate this week, so much so that I didn't want any of the teams to get cut. I feel much more parity was shown at last so I can't be all that upset at any of the final 4 choices. Although with so many of my season-long favourites gone, I am probably inclined toward hoping Jessica & Asher get the win. I wish all the remaining teams a wonderful skate in the finale.

Since they "have to have" a judge from the hockey side of the table I am okay with Natalie but I wish she wouldn't always refer to every performance as a dance. (I know this was dance week but iirc she has always called them dances.)

barbarafan

I am not up for catching up on reading everything in this thread right now so some of this may already have been mentioned.

I slowed down the credits a couple of weeks ago, mostly to see who all the coaches and choreographers were and noted that Kurt's only credit was as expert analyst. He had no creator or producer credit.

The finalists - A few weeks ago I was not happy that Carlotta & Kris and Vanessa & Akim were somehow still in the competition despite what I considered continually inferior skates. Last week and this week Vanessa & Akim really improved imho; especially this week the speed was amazing. Carlotta & Kris finally had a really good skate this week, so much so that I didn't want any of the teams to get cut. I feel much more parity was shown at last so I can't be all that upset at any of the final 4 choices. Although with so many of my season-long favourites gone, I am probably inclined toward hoping Jessica & Asher get the win. I wish all the remaining teams a wonderful skate in the finale.

Since they "have to have" a judge from the hockey side of the table I am okay with Natalie but I wish she wouldn't always refer to every performance as a dance. (I know this was dance week but iirc she has always called them dances.)
I think Kaitlyn and Bryan were undermarked. Their perfornance was wonderful,

greenapple

That there are four teams remaining makes me wonder if CBC plans to have a final skate off between the top two or the bottom two teams in the final, just to make it even more interesting.
The format for the finale is a skate off between the top two teams.

Desperado

Very happy that Asher made it to the finale two - his speech made me cry. Loved that they chose to re-skate their week 1 program, it’s so much fun.

Enjoyed M&W in their first program of the night. It had a soft quality I wasn’t expecting from Meagan and that throw! :D

All and all, a viewing experience. Kudos to Sandra Bezic and al.

P.S. On the more cynic side, I hope CBC won’t go back to putting the brown and black people in the closet and will instead continue their inclusion efforts.

Sylvia

The final 8 videos in the Season Finale (November 26, 2020) can be watched here: https://www.instagram.com/cbcbattle/channel/

Asher & Dylan filmed a BOTB backstage video for their CBC show that was uploaded one day before the finale (Nov. 25):

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information