Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

Sonata

Gordeeva is a once in a generation skater and I'm happy to have any opportunity to see her do new competitive material. Her partner last time was good, but he had trouble with emoting/performing for the crowd. I look forward to see her coaching as she'll still be involved with this show. I assume she can do this online and if she can contribute to passing on her excellent skating skills, all the better.

I think Scott Moir will be a great judge, but surprised they didn't pick him as a coach because I have a feeling he'd be excellent. He will bring a good technical eye to the judging panel. Is Ron McLean hosting alone? Elladj Balde would be a great host, but sure he’ll be a good judge.

Tessa Virtue is studying full time and has been talking awhile now about wanting to focus on her MBA. I’m sure she’ll do a guest appearance. Andrew Poje is in the same program.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Jump Start money stays in the community in which it is donated, and people can apply for assistance getting any kind of sports equipment that Canadian Tire sells.

Personally I wouldn't put any skater in the skates that Canadian Tire sells. The quality is terrible. I know that having badly made skates is better than having no skates, but if the skates are painful to wear or difficult to skate in, that could make people decide that skating is not for them.

skatingguy

decently
Personally I wouldn't put any skater in the skates that Canadian Tire sells. The quality is terrible. I know that having badly made skates is better than having no skates, but if the skates are painful to wear or difficult to skate in, that could make people decide that skating is not for them.
The quality varies depending on brand & price point, but if you're talking about just the figure skates then yes, but I'd never put a new skater in figure skates for recreational skating.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The quality varies depending on brand & price point, but if you're talking about just the figure skates then yes, but I'd never put a new skater in figure skates for recreational skating.

I wouldn't either. But the skates I've seen at Cdn Tire have very weak leather uppers (will break down quickly and not give good ankle support) or plastic boots (very difficult to get good ankle bend and good balance), the blades are not good quality metal, and I don't think I've ever seen a pair of skates there where the blades were properly aligned. Honestly, if someone is going to skate in uncomfortable skates and decide that skating is not for them, they could have the same experience with rental skates, which would be a lot cheaper.

mackiecat

They pay for more than the equipment, they pay all or part of Canskate fees too.
plus Canadian Tire carries Jackson skates. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cameo-by-jackson-excel-vinyl-figure-skate-senior-0838333p.html

shutterbug

Every pair of skates I had when taking lessons (CanFigure) as a kid were from Canadian Tire because that was what my parents could afford. Somehow I managed to get up to a waltz jump and toe loop in these "cheap" skates, and developed a love of the sport that's lasted 50 years :) (and cost me thousands of dollars as an adult skater, but that's another story :lol:).

quartz

scratching at the light
My mom got me a pair of $2 too big skates from a thrift store and wrapped an extra pair of laces around my ankles for support and shoved me onto the ice when our local arena had a free community skating day. Of course I couldn’t skate worth a shit, and certainly having actual lessons was never going to happen, but that just made me all the more entranced by watching CBC and Wide World of Sports on our 13 inch black and white TV and seeing the magic created by Janet Lynn, Karen Magnussen and Toller Cranston. Fifty year fan as well! :rollin:

eta...I am so glad to have BOTB back again, I am not going to complain one bit about who is on or who is not on the show this season. I soooo welcome any skating show/competition that manages to happen right now - escapism is needed more than ever.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I’m sure they will let everyone skate at some point. It’ll be interesting to see how this season goes without an audience. I’m glad they are shaking things up with a new lineup of judges and bringing in more talent to help coach the teams. I do have a pet peeve though: the charities they promote, are always for local ones in Ontario.

skylark

I’m sure they will let everyone skate at some point. It’ll be interesting to see how this season goes without an audience. I’m glad they are shaking things up with a new lineup of judges and bringing in more talent to help coach the teams. I do have a pet peeve though: the charities they promote, are always for local ones in Ontario.
Do they usually let all the judges skate? I could only watch it last season through the posted bits.

I feel sure that I've never seen one of the coaches skate though, however much of a star they were before. So that lets Katia out ... for this season. And I guess for more than that, if only Canadian citizens are allowed from now on.

It was already a very Canada-based show. I'll miss seeing competitors like Amanda and Katia, though I love many of the Canadian skaters. And hey, does that mean Violetta has Canadian citizenship? I know Lubov does.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Do they usually let all the judges skate? I could only watch it last season through the posted bits.

I feel sure that I've never seen one of the coaches skate though, however much of a star they were before. So that lets Katia out ... for this season. And I guess for more than that, if only Canadian citizens are allowed from now on.

It was already a very Canada-based show. I'll miss seeing competitors like Amanda and Katia, though I love many of the Canadian skaters. And hey, does that mean Violetta has Canadian citizenship? I know Lubov does.

BOTB made a big fuss about her getting her citizenship during a past season, some years ago. I have felt for years the producers are shoving her down our throats, pushing her to win, etc., which is a big reason why I'm hoping she gets pregnant again before another season. :p Lubov would have been a great addition with her Cirque background as well, but it's all about who you know, I guess. Maybe next season, after Duhamel annoys the piss out of Canada with her glowing personality this year.

We're arguing over limited spaces for figure skaters, and I'm being petty about a select couple I'm not jazzed about. There's another female hockey player this year, so that's one less opportunity for the women skaters, but then we have Asher coming to the show. The ignorant comment about diversity much earlier in this thread isn't wrong-- CBC focused on diversity, only I think we're going have a much better season for it!

I completely forgot Katia was a contestant last season. :shuffle: I recall watching and being disappointed with how boring and also-ran I found her, but I thought it was a few years ago, so the story of being propped up while living in the bottom two makes sense to me. I'm surprised/impressed she came back to coach, but I acquiesce with the notion that she will be great and has a lot to share.

Weird to see any props for Canadian Tire. :lol: One of Canada's WORST legacies in terms of how they operate. It was my understanding that the Jumpstart program was a big ol' tax write-off for them, but I'm happy to be wrong and to hear it's a viable/helpful endeavor!

Anemone

I also think it's good Scott will be on his own. Based on last season Scott actually gives good constructive criticism and it's time he establishes himself as an individual. Not a diss on Tessa, was a huge fan of their skating, but I found her too positive and rehearsed in her comments last season. It just doesn't seem a role she is comfortable in at this point in her life.

Agree. I've never been his biggest fan, but I was pleasantly surprised by his guest judge spots on the show. He always had something positive to say, but he always gave them something to work on also.
I generally like Tessa, but I also found her too over-the-top positive.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

Violetta is married to a Canadian citizen

Skate Talker

I feel sure that I've never seen one of the coaches skate though, however much of a star they were before. So that lets Katia out ... for this season.
Elladj worked as choreographer/coach last season and he skated a couple of times - not as a competitor of course. iirc when Jodeyne Higgins skated her husband Sean Rice was her team's coach and Jodeyne & Sean did skate a number together as part of the finale program exhibitions. There may be other examples but none come immediately to mind.
Violetta is married to a Canadian citizen
I read the previously linked team profiles a few days ago and I'm pretty sure theirs said Violetta is a Canadian citizen.

googooeyes

Elladj worked as choreographer/coach last season and he skated a couple of times - not as a competitor of course. iirc when Jodeyne Higgins skated her husband Sean Rice was her team's coach and Jodeyne & Sean did skate a number together as part of the finale program exhibitions. There may be other examples but none come immediately to mind.

I read the previously linked team profiles a few days ago and I'm pretty sure theirs said Violetta is a Canadian citizen.
Here is some info on Violetta and her husband:

Satellizer

existing
Battle of the Blades premiere postponed.

From Facebook:
Important Update*
The skaters have been working hard in preparation for the new season and it's exciting to see their chemistry develop.

However, an individual on the Battle of the Blades production team recently tested positive for COVID-19 and so we are temporarily halting all training to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved.

As a result, the October 15th live premiere of Battle of the Blades Season 6 has been postponed. We'll let you know as soon as there's an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information