Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

Perky Shae Lynn

I mean, there's a lot of assuming in that and we don't know if she was or wasn't asked (I see the post above, but has she said anything herself about it?) or if she was available or if she felt safe in doing so, etc.
You know as well as I do that she's too classy to say anything. She speaks her mind when she needs to. Not being cast on a TV show is not that occasion.

mackiecat

I had to look her up as well. I am sure she will be fine.....but not spectacular as Lubov would be. Most of Canadians will never have a chance at something like this because figure skating is a sport for the rich or almost rich in Canada. There should be programs with tryouts for talented kids who are disadvantaged and cannot afford even a cheap pair of skates at Walmart. Then Skate Canada should pay for their lessons using fund raisers to pay for it and the arena's should donate the ice time. We are talking about the grand majority of kids in Canada. The quiet prejudice is not only for racial minorities but also for those whose income is not rolling along there.
Canadian Tire Jumpstart already pays for kids who can’t afford to learn to skate.

Colonel Green

Most of Canadians will never have a chance at something like this because figure skating is a sport for the rich or almost rich in Canada. There should be programs with tryouts for talented kids who are disadvantaged and cannot afford even a cheap pair of skates at Walmart. Then Skate Canada should pay for their lessons using fund raisers to pay for it and the arena's should donate the ice time. We are talking about the grand majority of kids in Canada. The quiet prejudice is not only for racial minorities but also for those whose income is not rolling along there.
If Skate Canada thought they could plausibly do something like that, why do you think they wouldn't?

Realistically the only way something like that would happen is if the government decided to spend significantly more money on the sport (similar to Russia). But that's not a spending priority.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I fail to see how Luba is somehow more deserving of her spot than Vanessa. Vanessa is a diversity hire? Or is someone suggesting that Luba could fill in for Asher?
Are people saying that? Or just saying they'd love to see Luba without thinking very hard about it.

Perky Shae Lynn

I fail to see how Luba is somehow more deserving of her spot than Vanessa. Vanessa is a diversity hire? Or is someone suggesting that Luba could fill in for Asher?
Since you pointed to my post a bit later on: where did I mention Vanessa? Where did I say, or insinuated in any way, that Luba was more deserving than Vanessa? Vanessa has a list of accomplishments most skaters can only dream of. Did you not notice a skater named Carlotta Edwards on the list? What exactly does she have going for her over someone like Luba? The point is, two perky Russians were probably too much for the show. Which is dumb, because Luba is beloved, respected, and can really use the money.

Last edited:

barbarafan

If Skate Canada thought they could plausibly do something like that, why do you think they wouldn't?

Realistically the only way something like that would happen is if the government decided to spend significantly more money on the sport (similar to Russia). But that's not a spending priority.
Do fund Raisers for it. Do some shows...proceeds to go to that project.

skatingguy

decently
Really that is interesting...I would like to know more about that initiative.

Jump Start money stays in the community in which it is donated, and people can apply for assistance getting any kind of sports equipment that Canadian Tire sells.

barbarafan

Jump Start money stays in the community in which it is donated, and people can apply for assistance getting any kind of sports equipment that Canadian Tire sells.
Thank-you so much for the link. That is really great. I know in the olden days Cdn Tire did give a certain amount of help.
My daughter was in cheerleading for a few yrs. and I volunteered. Cdn Tire gave us 2 weekends a yr. bagging at the cashes and with the money earned we were able to do uniforms for a team each yr. They also helped the football teams with participating in fundraisers and giving part-time jobs to some of the football players whose families were struggling. Our local football older teams were very strong and usually won provincials.The coaches and mgmt. co-ordinated with scouts from the US and they would come up and tell a look. Quite a few would end up with full scholarships for college. I am very impressed with how the Cdn, Tire program has evolved.

Desperado

Very happy to see Elladj in a more public facing role this time around, but I will miss his choreographies.

I will also enjoy seeing Asher skate and have him challenge the overly sweet vanilla of BOTB. 😁

Vanessa will always be the supportive partner of Ciprès for me and that’s... unfortunate.

In other controversial opinions, I’m quite annoyed to see Ron Maclean returning as host. He is cringe worthy.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Thank-you so much for the link. That is really great. I know in the olden days Cdn Tire did give a certain amount of help.
My daughter was in cheerleading for a few yrs. and I volunteered. Cdn Tire gave us 2 weekends a yr. bagging at the cashes and with the money earned we were able to do uniforms for a team each yr. They also helped the football teams with participating in fundraisers and giving part-time jobs to some of the football players whose families were struggling. Our local football older teams were very strong and usually won provincials.The coaches and mgmt. co-ordinated with scouts from the US and they would come up and tell a look. Quite a few would end up with full scholarships for college. I am very impressed with how the Cdn, Tire program has evolved.
I guess you have not attended competitions hosted by Skate Canada over the past few years where there were JumpStart "stuffed animal machines" - they were designed for attendees to purchase small stuffed animals to throw to the skaters in return for donations to JumpStart. Canadian Tire has been a very supportive partner for several years with representatives of the organization taking on roles at events, etc.

Also, lets not forget the role that provincial governments could be playing - Quebec supports those in all sports and still in school very extensively; they certainly support their figure skaters well, causing some skaters to "change their provincial allegiance" in order to receive that support.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Really, the only complaint I have about the cast is Violetta. I was done seasons ago. Lubov would have been my pick for sure. But she makes sense in terms of connection and experience. I'm surprised it's Violetta over Katia on the show. Bonus surprise for Katia coaching.

But that's all part and parcel of an intriguing season! I'm here for the judging panel - love Natalie Spooner, excited for Eladj to have such an opportunity to shine, and Scott brings the name recognition. Though it's a good opportunity for him, too-- getting to kind of perform own his own.

I do not recognize any of the hockey players. :p

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Very happy to see Elladj in a more public facing role this time around, but I will miss his choreographies.

I will also enjoy seeing Asher skate and have him challenge the overly sweet vanilla of BOTB. 😁

Vanessa will always be the supportive partner of Ciprès for me and that’s... unfortunate.

In other controversial opinions, I’m quite annoyed to see Ron Maclean returning as host. He is cringe worthy.

I was really hoping to see Tessa return as host since Scott is judging! I’m personally glad Kurt’s not hosting or judging this time around. He just doesn’t look comfortable doing either role

skylark

Really, the only complaint I have about the cast is Violetta. I was done seasons ago. Lubov would have been my pick for sure. But she makes sense in terms of connection and experience. I'm surprised it's Violetta over Katia on the show. Bonus surprise for Katia coaching.

But that's all part and parcel of an intriguing season! I'm here for the judging panel - love Natalie Spooner, excited for Eladj to have such an opportunity to shine, and Scott brings the name recognition. Though it's a good opportunity for him, too-- getting to kind of perform own his own.

I'd rather see Katia showing her incomparable skating and form, not working behind the scenes. Having said that, when they've shown clips of her teaching her partner, she's outstanding: positive, praising small steps, and helpful. She seems to make her partner(s) better than they might be with someone else. Plus she's just so inspiring. And she's great advertising for the sport; people who may not follow figure skating see and sense her quality.

Unfortunately, I agree with your sentiment re: Violetta. Her talents don't seem to translate to this venue.

barbarafan

I guess you have not attended competitions hosted by Skate Canada over the past few years where there were JumpStart "stuffed animal machines" - they were designed for attendees to purchase small stuffed animals to throw to the skaters in return for donations to JumpStart. Canadian Tire has been a very supportive partner for several years with representatives of the organization taking on roles at events, etc.

Also, lets not forget the role that provincial governments could be playing - Quebec supports those in all sports and still in school very extensively; they certainly support their figure skaters well, causing some skaters to "change their provincial allegiance" in order to receive that support.
You are correct. I have only attended Challenge in person at Quatre Glace in Pierrefonds. I usually plant myself when I go as the stairs are treacherous and my balance and leg problems are not great.
Livestreaming and I are Besties.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
. I would have thought it is obvious why Katia is coaching and not a contestant after last season. They kept propping her up to avoid elimination but the public wasn't voting for her. The fact she is coaching I think she herself prefers that role with the show because I don't think she liked being in the bottom two all the time last season.

I also think it's good Scott will be on his own. Based on last season Scott actually gives good constructive criticism and it's time he establishes himself as an individual. Not a diss on Tessa, was a huge fan of their skating, but I found her too positive and rehearsed in her comments last season. It just doesn't seem a role she is comfortable in at this point in her life.

Lemonade20

. I would have thought it is obvious why Katia is coaching and not a contestant after last season. They kept propping her up to avoid elimination but the public wasn't voting for her. The fact she is coaching I think she herself prefers that role with the show because I don't think she liked being in the bottom two all the time last season.

I also think it's good Scott will be on his own. Based on last season Scott actually gives good constructive criticism and it's time he establishes himself as an individual. Not a diss on Tessa, was a huge fan of their skating, but I found her too positive and rehearsed in her comments last season. It just doesn't seem a role she is comfortable in at this point in her life.

I feel like I’m in the minority when it comes to Katia. Everyone raves about her, but I’m personally tired of seeing her every season and it shows in the voting. I think it’ll be much better this season having her as a coach instead.

manhn

And Katia is further propped up being paired with hockey players with viable figure skating potential. Not always the case with Violetta.

Anyways, the public seems pretty good at setting aside the accolades that the figure skaters earned during their competitive careers.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I feel like I’m in the minority when it comes to Katia. Everyone raves about her, but I’m personally tired of seeing her every season and it shows in the voting. I think it’ll be much better this season having her as a coach instead.

I would agree. I wasn't inspired last season to vote for her at all. But I think she would be a great asset on the coaching side of the show.

RoseRed

Akim Aliu and Bryan Bickell were the most recognizable to me as a hockey fan. Aliu didn't have much of an NHL career, but he's been a very prominent/visible figure this season talking about racism in hockey, including racial abuse he experienced from a current (at the time, since fired) NHL coach. He's co-head of the Hockey Diversity Alliance founded this year. Bickell had a fair amount of success as a supporting player for the Chicago Blackhawks, including playing a big role in their 2013 Stanley Cup run. He was diagnosed with MS in 2016 and retired in 2017.

Oh and I also knew Kris Versteeg. He moved around to a bunch of teams and last played in 2017-18 in the NHL, but I mostly know him from Chicago because he was also part of their 2010 and 2015 Stanley Cup teams. And because he was posting very funny comments on the fashion choices of the players in the bubble (mostly roasting them for being boring with team polo shirts and stuff).

Wojtek Wolski I didn't know - he has played in the NHL, but he's been in Europe since 2013. I only really know Anthony Stewart's brother Chris. And I know of Jennifer Botterill because her brother Jason was recently GM of the Buffalo Sabres. She has three Olympic golds with Team Canada and retired in 2011 after having success in the CWHL.

Meghan Agosta has been on the Canadian women's team for several Olympics, and she won MVP of the Vancouver Games. Jessica Campbell hasn't played at the Olympics, but she's also a Canadian National Team player.

Skate Talker

Neither Katia nor Amanda Evora are returning as skaters this year. Unlike other years CBC seems to be making a point of pointing out that all competitors are either Canadian born or are now Canadian citizens so that may have played into the decision as well.

Lemonade20

Neither Katia nor Amanda Evora are returning as skaters this year. Unlike other years CBC seems to be making a point of pointing out that all competitors are either Canadian born or are now Canadian citizens so that may have played into the decision as well.
Katia is returning as a skating coach. I’m not sure if she lives in Canada now though? Last I heard, she was with David Pelletier

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information