Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

barbarafan

I'd be really surprised if Lubov wasn't invited. Perhaps she has some other exciting project coming up. Like, oh I don't know, maybe getting married to her gentleman. :D
hard to tell.....Right now she is staying with her gentleman in Toronto so very close to the action. She now has her coaching certification but I do not think she is committed to a coaching situation yet. It prob. would have been good timing. In order to look like there are to be improvements in treatment of PPL with colour they needed to jiggle things around a bit. But each person they chose is really working hard at changing things and making a difference. Dylan has also been involved in pushing to make changes not only with PPL of colour but Pride movement and other minorities.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
hard to tell.....Right now she is staying with her gentleman in Toronto so very close to the action. She now has her coaching certification but I do not think she is committed to a coaching situation yet. It prob. would have been good timing. In order to look like there are to be improvements in treatment of PPL with colour they needed to jiggle things around a bit. But each person they chose is really working hard at changing things and making a difference. Dylan has also been involved in pushing to make changes not only with PPL of colour but Pride movement and other minorities.
Ppl of colour - Asher and Vanessa, gay ppl - Eric and Asher. And a white woman none of us have ever heard of. Can't convince me that really wanter her over Lubov who's well known and much loved in Canada's skating community. I still say she was asked and declined. And maybe the reason really was as simple as having a new coaching job.

Ppl of colour - Asher and Vanessa, gay ppl - Eric and Asher. And a white woman none of us have ever heard of. Can't convince me that really wanter her over Lubov who's well known and much loved in Canada's skating community. I still say she was asked and declined. And maybe the reason really was as simple as having a new coaching job.

Carlotta is Filipino. But yes, I can’t imagine Lubov wasn’t asked.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Unfortunately Lubov was not invited to join the cast of Battle of the Blades.

I am guessing the woman you are referring to is Carlotta Edwards? She was on the UK show Dancing on Ice.
Really she was not invited? You know for sure? That seems so weird to me. I did look up about Carlotta, and I'm sure she'll be fine, but choosing her over Lubov just seems a bit random.

barbarafan

I would certainly prefer that reason than to think she was not invited....What are these PPL thinking?

barbarafan

Really she was not invited? You know for sure? That seems so weird to me. I did look up about Carlotta, and I'm sure she'll be fine, but choosing her over Lubov just seems a bit random.
But then,,,,,, BOTB usually invite back previous skaters. So she would be invited back and there are others which will retire after Olympics.......I don't like the idea but it is a possibility seeing as we canadians do our dirt so seamlessly (the small minority that do dirt that is).

barbarafan

Yeah but Sylvia you've heard of everyone! :lol:
I had to look her up as well. I am sure she will be fine.....but not spectacular as Lubov would be. Most of Canadians will never have a chance at something like this because figure skating is a sport for the rich or almost rich in Canada. There should be programs with tryouts for talented kids who are disadvantaged and cannot afford even a cheap pair of skates at Walmart. Then Skate Canada should pay for their lessons using fund raisers to pay for it and the arena's should donate the ice time. We are talking about the grand majority of kids in Canada. The quiet prejudice is not only for racial minorities but also for those whose income is not rolling along there.

Japanfan

The quiet prejudice is not only for racial minorities but also for those whose income is not rolling along there.

I don't think it's private, but pretty much a given. Figure skating in Canada is expensive, and those who can learn it/compete in it tend to come from families with large incomes (relatively speaking).

I guess learning horse-racing might be more expensive, or maybe sailing (one may have to buy a boat). But so many sports are much cheaper than FS. For example, marathon running only requires a trail/road on which to run, as well as costs for shoes and clothing.

Sylvia

TBD
"Battle of the Blades Season 6 will launch with a special two-hour premiere on Thursday, October 15 at 8 p.m. (7 AT, 7:30 NT) on CBC and the free CBC Gem streaming service. The show will continue to air Thursdays at 8 p.m. (9 AT, 9:30 NT) for the remainder of the season."
This is a seven-episode season (every Thursday evening starting Oct. 15 – Nov. 26).

ETA:

Hockey payer Natalie Spooner will serve as one of the judges. The Scarborough, Ont., native participated as a competitor last season where she finished as the runner-up behind fellow hockey player Sheldon Kennedy.

Black professional skater Elladj Baldé and Olympic gold medallist Scott Moir will serve as the other two judges. Ron MacLean is returning as host, and four-time World champion Kurt Browning is stepping into a new role as Elite Battle Expert.

Last edited:

barbarafan

I don't think it's private, but pretty much a given. Figure skating in Canada is expensive, and those who can learn it/compete in it tend to come from families with large incomes (relatively speaking).

I guess learning horse-racing might be more expensive, or maybe sailing (one may have to buy a boat). But so many sports are much cheaper than FS. For example, marathon running only requires a trail/road on which to run, as well as costs for shoes and clothing.
Sorry for the Off Topic rant...It is one of my pet peeves and I get carried away.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I know this will be geo-blocked, but I wish there were other streaming options for people outside of Canada. I've always had to wait and watch on the CBC YouTube channel. I'm willing to wait for it. I would love to see it live, however. :(

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I’m excited to see more diversity, especially in judges. Elladj is fantastic! I wonder if they moved Kurt to a new role because everyone was complaining about his judging...

2sk8

I am really annoyed Luba wasn't asked. Didn't check off a box or something? Diversity is a wonderful thing, but is this where we are heading? Excluding people because on paper they don't provide diversity? There, I said it.
This is reality in the TV and live show world - hasn't really changed. It is more about casting than skill, much of the time. (Diversity or not, you can be the most qualified in skills, but not get the nod because you don't have the "look" or personality "image" they want (on a show like this)with the partner they are seeking to pair you with. I've no idea what Lubov's situation is in this case, but I do know this is just reality (pun intended) on casting these shows.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Maybe they felt Lubov fit the same demographic as Violetta and she has been a part of the show forever.
I'd love to see Lubov myself but if that's what they are trying to do I guess two cute, really friendly, Russian pairs skaters with a touch of circus to their resume was too much of the same in a small cast.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I am really annoyed Luba wasn't asked. Didn't check off a box or something? Diversity is a wonderful thing, but is this where we are heading? Excluding people because on paper they don't provide diversity? There, I said it.

I mean, there's a lot of assuming in that and we don't know if she was or wasn't asked (I see the post above, but has she said anything herself about it?) or if she was available or if she felt safe in doing so, etc.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I mean, there's a lot of assuming in that and we don't know if she was or wasn't asked (I see the post above, but has she said anything herself about it?) or if she was available or if she felt safe in doing so, etc.
Thank you for supplying a voice of reason and rationality.

I wish everyone would just sit back and wait to see the first show and then comment on that, rather than on what ifs/why nots/etc. As far as I know, none of us are part of the "show team" but perhaps some of us might be part of their "virtual audience", even if not officially :)

skylark

You're right. There could even have been preliminary conversations before the invitations, with Lubov declining before the fact (hope). It's more surprising because Sandra Bezic has choreographed for Lubov/Dylan. I'd love to see Lubov on the show next year.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Oh come on @Tony Wheeler. Lubov will never say anything. What's she gonna say publicly - that they didn't invite her. Not likely. Almost as unlikely that she'd say publicly that she was invited but turned it down - sounds kind of like bragging.
I would really love a response from @greenapple who seems to know for sure that she wasn't invited. Who TF is she and how does she know this?
And @victorskid - Of course we're gonna talk about this! It's FSU! You've been here long enough to know how this works :lol:

Rhumba d’Amour

Oh come on @Tony Wheeler. Lubov will never say anything. What's she gonna say publicly - that they didn't invite her. Not likely. Almost as unlikely that she'd say publicly that she was invited but turned it down - sounds kind of like bragging
You may well be right for all I know but, she hardly seems like a shrinking violet; she had no problem with speaking frankly about how her partnership with Charlie ended, for example!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Most of Canadians will never have a chance at something like this because figure skating is a sport for the rich or almost rich in Canada.

It's a sport for the rich or almost rich everywhere. Canada is no different in that regard.

There should be programs with tryouts for talented kids who are disadvantaged and cannot afford even a cheap pair of skates at Walmart. Then Skate Canada should pay for their lessons using fund raisers to pay for it and the arena's should donate the ice time. We are talking about the grand majority of kids in Canada. The quiet prejudice is not only for racial minorities but also for those whose income is not rolling along there.

Skate Canada had a financial loss of almost $1.5 million last year. I agree that it should do more outreach, but it probably can't afford to. Also a lot of the arenas where Skate Canada clubs are based are municipal/civic arenas run by local government, and those arenas probably can't afford to donate ice time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information