Assignments for Canada on GP 2023-24

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I am curious where you see Canada assigning its skaters in the fall of 2023. This year Skate Canada ended up relinquishing a pairs and woman spot at Skate Canada and then found skaters like Fiona, Spence, and Proft/Nadeau unable to even be listed as 4cc Alternates. Matthew Newnham, Matthew Markell, and Amy Shao Ning Yang all medaled at Challenge (along with Fiona) and also found themselves with no or very meager opportunities internationally thus far. I understand the injury for Gabby and disappearance/retirements of Bausback, Schumacher, Phan, Nguyen, Mallet, Long, MT/M, and delayed start of P/N and split of Walsh/Michaud left SC a little flat-footed to start the season. It seems like US is quicker to turn the page when its stars retire whereas Canada just throws up their hands and says "nope, we have nobody" when actually there is some talent lurking in the shadows.

Here is how I would assign singles, based on current scenarios.

GP spots based on score/rank assuming decent finishes at 4cc/Worlds/Jr Worlds

MEN- Orzel, Gogolev, Chiu, Sadovsky
WOMEN- Schizas, Ruiter (only having 2 here in a non-Russia world is quite a sadness)
PAIRS- S/D, M/M, L/E, P/M
DANCE- G/P, FB/S, L/L, S/F, B/B

Skate Canada assignments (if they are smart enough to assign the skaters who need it for the 2 spots not reserved for their star or whatever)
MEN- Circelli, Newnham
WOMEN- Fiona, Dupuis (with some consideration for Pereira, Miclette, and Spence based on how this summer goes)
PAIRS- Proft/Nadeau, Derenisky/Eberl
DANCE-Bashynska/Beaumont, Makita/Gunara

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information