Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread #3: The Subject of Tonight's Lecture...

Chris_E

I'm looking forward to hearing Ashley's commentary tonight. I've followed her Instagram stories so I have an idea of what her style will be like but I'm curious how she does in real time. Happy for her to get this opportunity. I think many of her fans have thought this would be a good potential future career for her.

Looking forward to seeing her skate at the Scott Hamilton & Friends show on Sunday, I believe it will be broadcast on ESPN3 streaming.

Sylvia

TBD
What do people who are watching the Olympic Channel coverage of NHK Trophy this week (Monday was pairs, Tuesday/tonight is ladies & Wednesday is men) think of Ashley's commentary so far?

Re-posting here:
I liked that she was kinder to skaters she didn't know, but for those she did know she didn't hold back criticism when it was needed. But it wasn't like she was mean - she did say that a lot of Tarah's struggles could be explained by her injuries.
No, Im talking about when she served her by saying I don't know why she's laughing, she shouldn't be laughing about what she just put out.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What do people who are watching the Olympic Channel coverage of NHK Trophy this week (Monday was pairs, Tuesday/tonight is ladies & Wednesday is men) think of Ashley's commentary so far?

I just mentioned in another thread a minute ago I was looking forward to her but wasn't completely impressed. Too much talking. A different vocabulary then I am used to. I do love that she gave it to Tarah.

First time out, ok. Looking forward to more.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I just mentioned in another thread a minute ago I was looking forward to her but wasn't completely impressed. Too much talking. A different vocabulary then I am used to. I do love that she gave it to Tarah.

First time out, ok. Looking forward to more.
Typical first outing. Talked way too much. I think that will settle.
I got pretty tired of hearing about connections....but I think she was mostly correct. Loved her commentary on SK/K.

she will get better.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Re-posting here:

In the middle of watching NHK on Olympic Channel & listening to Ashley: Sorry but she is terrible! STOP THAT SING-SONG VOICE, ASHLEY!!!!! So aggravating...she thinks that she has to modulate her voice in practically every sentence. And she won’t shut up.

JUST TALK NORMALLY!!!

skatfan

I think she was nervous, and her voice went to a higher pitch. Having to do pairs must have sucked, since she clearly didn't know the features needed for each level of the elements. Say what one might about Ryan Bradley, but he did his homework on that stuff.

Andrea coached her into talking about Tarah and Danny's issues being related to changing coaches (which she waxed on about for SK & K) and a good thing because I was yelling at mY TV until she did.

Let's give her a few more outings before we deliver final judgement. ;)

Firedancer

Tonight for the ladies they only had Ashley for the SP. Now we are back to Tara and Johnny. I think she did good for her first time. She could talk a little less sometimes. But I do think some of that comes from NBC. She made some good observations and I think she will get better as she gets some experience.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

In the middle of watching NHK on Olympic Channel & listening to Ashley: Sorry but she is terrible! STOP THAT SING-SONG VOICE, ASHLEY!!!!! So aggravating...she thinks that she has to modulate her voice in practically every sentence. And she won’t shut up.

JUST TALK NORMALLY!!!

Lol, I think that is her actual voice though. Yeah she did talk a lot. Trying to put myself in her shoes. If I just got hired by the network I think my first time out I probably be like well I better not just stay here and be silent. I think over talking is probably common. But I understand what you say.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I think she was nervous, and her voice went to a higher pitch. Having to do pairs must have sucked, since she clearly didn't know the features needed for each level of the elements. Say what one might about Ryan Bradley, but he did his homework on that stuff.

Andrea coached her into talking about Tarah and Danny's issues being related to changing coaches (which she waxed on about for SK & K) and a good thing because I was yelling at mY TV until she did.

Let's give her a few more outings before we deliver final judgement. ;)

Yeah, read the article I posted a few posts up. She says she does not know much about pairs so I'm like then why does the network have her commentating on it…

aml78

RD

Interesting, I stumbled across a tweet from Wagner saying she was doing commentary now and decided to pop in to see if there were any thoughts/first impressions from fans. I don't have any to offer myself as I have not watched her coverage (nor do I particularly wish to). I would like to say, however, that I agree with the last post in that I find it odd that NBC would have her (or anyone for that matter) commenting on something outside of her expertise. Doesn't seem like the most efficient use of talent :confused: I say start her out on what she knows best/is most comfortable with (singles skating)...and then later, if she WANTS to branch out into pairs (or dance), then after some studying you could slot her in there for a trial run and see how she does. Doesn't inspire too much confidence in the network, but not like there was a whole lot to begin with anyway...:shuffle:

Spun Silver

Yeah, read the article I posted a few posts up. She says she does not know much about pairs so I'm like then why does the network have her commentating on it…
Because they are clueless! At least the people who hire. They did the same thing with Tara and Johnny. They just want the big names.

I didn't hear her either but I think Ashley would be good at this and hopefully will enjoy learning about pairs and dance.

skatfan

Because they are clueless! At least the people who hire. They did the same thing with Tara and Johnny. They just want the big names.

I didn't hear her either but I think Ashley would be good at this and hopefully will enjoy learning about pairs and dance.

dear God, please no. We’ve got retired pairs skaters who can run rings around any singles skater, and let’s keep The ice dancers doing the ice dance - especially Tanith and Ben.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Interesting, I stumbled across a tweet from Wagner saying she was doing commentary now and decided to pop in to see if there were any thoughts/first impressions from fans. I don't have any to offer myself as I have not watched her coverage (nor do I particularly wish to). I would like to say, however, that I agree with the last post in that I find it odd that NBC would have her (or anyone for that matter) commenting on something outside of her expertise. Doesn't seem like the most efficient use of talent :confused: I say start her out on what she knows best/is most comfortable with (singles skating)...and then later, if she WANTS to branch out into pairs (or dance), then after some studying you could slot her in there for a trial run and see how she does. Doesn't inspire too much confidence in the network, but not like there was a whole lot to begin with anyway...:shuffle:
Where did she pop into?

aftershocks

Banned Member
I read the recent article, and I'm happy for Ashley. She's shared on her Instagram how she's been receiving some therapy that's been helpful for her in making a transition from competitive figure skating. It's sad when some people feel the need to pile-on skaters, but that's the least of her worries. We all experience difficulty in making huge life transitions, and hers was particularly public and painful, with a lot of fans weighing in negatively.

I admire Ashley for all that she's done for herself and for the U.S. ladies discipline. She's been a role model for many skaters who have cited her as inspiring them. I heard Eunsoo Lim recently comment that she admires Kaetlyn Osmond for her jumps, and Ashley Wagner for her performance abilities. Mae-Berneice Meite has also mentioned how much she admires and has been inspired by Ashley.

It's cool seeing that Ashley loves her new surroundings in Boston! I lived in that region for a short time in my younger days. :)

BTW, although I haven't heard Ashley's recent commentary, it's okay to jump into the commentating booth with pairs skating. It's not as if it's entirely foreign to Ashley. Pairs skating incorporates aspects of singles skating. In any case, we know that NBC doesn't always make knowledgeable decisions in regard to covering figure skating. However, it's cool that they have given a chance to Ashley to see how she might enjoy commentating.

Personally, I'd love to hear Brooke Castile commentating pairs with John Coughlin! They both give great insights. I'm not sure John is interested in commentating these days though. But Brooke should definitely be given a try-out with pairs for NBC! She did some excellent work for IceNetwork covering pairs.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
LOL, Ryan has indeed improved over time! I remember when he started and would often modulate down to almost a low creepy whisper when pointing out a negative. So there’s hope for Ashley...to stop chatting nonstop like Valley Girl and flipping the voice up at the end of a sentence...almost like singing.

Chris_E

I think she did a very good job for her first time out. I don't find it odd that she commentated on the pairs and doesn't have pairs experience herself. This can be said for the majority of commentators currently being used. There were a few times where she talked a bit too much during the performance but often times providing helpful information about the judging/scoring. Over time she'll probably be able to summarize her thoughts more succinctly to avoid rambling. I was especially interested in her ladies commentary and enjoyed what I heard and was disappointed to tune into the Long program broadcast to hear Johnny and Tara.

Marco

I think she did a good job for a first timer. I find it funny that she said Eunsoo didn't quite bring audience the sense of longing when skating to Somewhere in Time, because she herself skated to it when she was 16. :p

Sylvia

TBD
I don't get the Olympic Channel so I appreciate people who are posting constructive comments about Ashley in her new role of commentator -- re-posting @SpeedySucks here:
I’m watching the ladies’ short program from IdF, and I’m really enjoying Ashley as a commentator. She talks some during the programs but keeps most of the critical analysis for the replays. I also like the snarky comments about mistakes on easy elements (especially her criticism of the U.S. pairs at NHK) and her assessments of the overall programs. She seems to be settling in more for this event, and Tanith is certainly doing a much better job guiding Ashley along than Andrea did.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I don't get the Olympic Channel so I appreciate people who are posting constructive comments about Ashley in her new role of commentator -- re-posting @SpeedySucks here:

I got them all recorded..Looking forward to seeing how Ash has developed for this assignment!!!!

If you are able to get it, I think The Oly Channel is worth it. All the Nats and Worlds gymnastics are on it too if you are into Gymnastics.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information