Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

millyskate

You’re right, it’s pretty funny that you believe all this

Just as an example that doesn’t support your “facts”. I’ve taken teenage girls younger than her all over the country and the world. Not One airline has ever asked permission for the child to travel. (And none of them are related to me) GASP.

And if a minor shows up in the hospital United States and you don’t treat them in an emergency because you’re waiting on the an adult It’s going to be expensive. That’s called a violation of a law. GASP

😂😂😂
It may not have happened to you but it does. I remember tales of a certain 16 or 17 year old skater rocking up at Paris Charles De Gaulle having forgotten their parents' attestation and being refused permission to board the plane until they produced it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It may not have happened to you but it does. I remember tales of a certain 16 or 17 year old skater rocking up at Paris Charles De Gaulle having forgotten their parents' attestation and being refused permission to board the plane until they produced it.
Was she a US citizen like Alysa is?

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
Seriously, let's get this conversation somewhere else. Start your own thread about unaccompanied minors, if that's your passion, as it seems to be.

Regarding Alysa -- I cannot stress how much I admire her for going to China, given her father's history with the country. She went there, skated well, represented her family and country very well in all the things she did, and even got to skate in the gala. I don't blame her one bit for deciding that she's not going to make it a lifetime thing, and wanting to turn her attention to do "normal" things with her age-group peers. Good for her, and good for her father for supporting her choice. I'm sure she'll take all her experiences and continue to be successful in whatever she chooses to do.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
@clairecloutier spoke with Alysa before SOI Boston last month - FSO's May 12th article:

She mentioned the same 3 colleges as before (in SF Chronicle article earlier this year): "My top three colleges would probably be UC Berkeley, Stanford, and Barnard. Yes, those are my top three. I’m applying, but I’m not sure when I’ll be starting."

Here's a clip of Vincent giving a glimpse of SOI's "cool sleeper tourbus, featuring energizer bunnies Jason and Alysa" (assume this was from an IG Live ot story?) that I came across on Twitter: https://twitter.com/soranbushis/status/1523855272258805760

ETA a fan cam of Alysa's "Run2U" from the Long Island NY SOI show earlier this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbKH9upgitU

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I hope she goes to Barnard, and then I can live vicariously through her, like I did with Cohen. (When I applied, there was no dorm space for anyone who lived within 50 miles of NYC unless they were an RA, and I didn't want to be a commuter student.)

Debbie S

I hope she goes to Barnard, and then I can live vicariously through her, like I did with Cohen. (When I applied, there was no dorm space for anyone who lived within 50 miles of NYC unless they were an RA, and I didn't want to be a commuter student.)
Sasha didn't go to Barnard, she went to Columbia GS. Her sister went to Barnard. :)

Glad that Alysa is enjoying touring. I hope she'll do shows in the future.

Sylvia

TBD
San Francisco Chronicle article by Ann Killion (dated May 16) in conjunction with the San Jose Stars on Ice show coming up on Sunday:
Excerpts:
"I have no regrets," she said. "I'm sure it would be the opposite, if I stayed in skating. I'd have regrets.
[...]
And when it was over, she knew it was really over.
"I didn't really ask my dad's opinion when I decided to retire," she said. "After all, it's my life. But he supports my decision.
It's the best decision I ever made. It's purely for myself. I guess it's selfish.
She has already graduated high school and will apply to college for the 2023-24 school year. Her top choices are Stanford, Cal and Barnard, but she knows she may change her mind. She thinks she will study law and business, but she also knows that idea may change.
Liu knows she doesn't have to decide everything right now, three months before she turns 17. She is well aware she is young and will have many journeys and roles during her life.
"Olympic skater" was just one of her roles. One she is ready to shed.
ETA:

Alysa is scheduled for one more tour after SOI - "The Ice" in Japan in late July:

She mentioned in an IG Live last night that she also has a show in September (but didn't say where/when) and that she's likely not going to continue performing after that.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also from Killion's article (part right before the first excerpt I posted earlier):
She's been skating since she was 5 and wants her own life. She wants to hang out with her four younger siblings, live at her house in Richmond, apply to college, spend time with friends, get her driver's license, play the paino, cuddle with her cat Xiao Bao.
All things she couldn't do while she pursued an Olympic-level skating career.

Scott512

Did we ever figure out this outstanding 16 year old skater who did well at the Olympics and worlds and had recovered from puberty and all of that had just decided to retire out of the blue?

While I support Alysa and her move for happiness I kind of hope she takes a year off and then comes back The Following season she can still compete for podiums and the American number one. I just wonder what this season did to her mentally going to China for the Olympics being spied on and all of that. Alysa is without question a real charmer and was coming into her own on the ice and hopefully she's coming into her own off the ice.

coppertop1

Did we ever figure out this outstanding 16 year old skater who did well at the Olympics and worlds and had recovered from puberty and all of that had just decided to retire out of the blue?

While I support Alysa and her move for happiness I kind of hope she takes a year off and then comes back The Following season she can still compete for podiums and the American number one. I just wonder what this season did to her mentally going to China for the Olympics being spied on and all of that. Alysa is without question a real charmer and was coming into her own on the ice and hopefully she's coming into her own off the ice.
She said quite clearly why: She's happy. She has met her goals and is ready to move on to new adventures.

Carolla5501

If you support her you would let her make her decision without this whole post about how she should come back

She’s coming into her own but her fans are trying to drag her back to the person we wanted her to be.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

mtnskater

Loved her! And I thought for sure she would miss skating since she spent so much of her life developing her skating to the highest level….and she has much more she could have accomplished. We see more than a few come back who thought they were done. I’ll be very excited if she wants to. We will see 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information