Alysa Liu cheer/fan thread

Sylvia

TBD
I think it's time to start a cheer/fan (not overhyping) thread for Alysa ahead of the Junior Grand Prix Final with this feature article by Phil Hersh, published today (Dec. 2), in which Carolina Kostner's role (at the request of Lori Nichol) is revealed: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/12/02/alysa-liu-junior-grand-prix-final/
Excerpts:
Kostner would work with Liu for two weeks last April at a rink in the Toronto suburb... Before the first session, Kostner had watched video of Liu’s triumphant, historic performances at last year’s U.S. Championships, where Liu, then 13, became the youngest U.S. singles champion ever, the first U.S. woman to land a triple Axel in the short program and the first to land two triple Axels in the free skate. <snip> ...
“I admired Alysa before meeting her,” Kostner said, “and I admired her even more after for her work ethic, her eagerness to learn and her humbleness to say, ‘Oh, yeah, that was wrong. I’m going to try it again and see how I can make it work.’”
Kostner and Nichol have been together so long the skater knows intuitively how to process what the choreographer tells her to do. When she saw that Liu sometimes was unfamiliar with what Nichol was asking of her, Kostner would explain it, usually by doing the movement herself or doing it alongside Liu. Sometimes, the veteran would simply share what was involved in every aspect of being an elite skater.
“It’s not just a process of the body, of learning things and putting them into action, but also of the mind, of the maturity of a person, of a girl slowly becoming an adult,” Kostner said. “Alysa is very aware of the steps she has to take, and I saw her ready to take those steps and also to have the patience to go through the steps. It doesn’t happen overnight.”
Both look at what they have done together so far as the start of a long-term relationship. Since April, they have used video and video chat to continue the work. They plan another series of live sessions together in Italy after the Junior Grand Prix Final.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Alysa competes in Torino this week... wishing her all the best! :cheer:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
2 min. video:

Olympic Channel spelled her first name correctly here at least ;):

ETA:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Congratulations to Alysa on her silver in Torino! :respec:
Her proud coach posted a photo of her pupil & her medal:

BTW, Alysa's official website has launched: http://alysaliu.figureskatersonline.com/

Q&A conducted at the Lake Placid JGP:

Sylvia

TBD
Cover story excerpt:

After the JGPF Alysa got to do some sightseeing in Rome and work on the ice as well:

Her Castel Sant’Angelo photos (6 total):

Her Vatican Museum photos (6 total):

Sylvia

TBD
Also, USFS' video promo for Alysa's December cover story:

ETA link to Jean-Christophe Berlot's article from the JGP Final (published on Dec. 17, 2019):

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts:
“I don’t think anyone should be worried about me,” Liu said. “I can’t say that for others. But I’ve been doing a lot of off-ice training and conditioning so I’m strong enough to attempt these hard jumps on the ice, and all these flexibility skills. I don’t go above my limit.
“Obviously, I’ll keep pushing that limit. But before I push the limit, I always train off ice and do everything I can so I won’t get hurt. I do a lot of off-ice stretching and stuff. I don’t think it affects my health in a bad way. Everything I’ve learned has made me stronger, mentally and physically, so the more I keep going, the stronger I’ll get.”
She plans just one quad Lutz in her Greensboro programs.
“We decided to take out one quad Lutz,” she said, “but I’m still going to do a quad Lutz in my programs. But things can change unexpectedly going into nationals. … For now, everything is going pretty well and I’m doing two (triple) axels and a quad Lutz as my difficult elements in the long (free skate program).”
Liu did leave the door open for a second quad jump, perhaps if she’s trailing after the short program.
“Maybe,” she said. “I don’t know. I’m not sure. If something happens, I might take (the quad) out, or if something else happens, I might add two in.”

giselle23

Her other three medalists may have had to help her up on the podium this year again, but what a difference a year makes! :cheer2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B76K0m_Jy4c/

Yes, she's definitely grown a few inches. She's the same height as Karen Chen who is about 4'10" or 11", I think. Her skating was definitely more mature and faster. I saw her program again yesterday during the NBC gala broadcast and wow, that was a very difficult (and point-maximizing) layout. Alysa has the advantage of having both the 3A and the quad. She obviously needs to work on that quad a bit, to get it all the way around, but if she maintains her jumps, she will be able to compete very well with the Russians when she gets to the senior level in two years.

sk9tingfan

Yes, she's definitely grown a few inches. She's the same height as Karen Chen who is about 4'10" or 11", I think. Her skating was definitely more mature and faster. I saw her program again yesterday during the NBC gala broadcast and wow, that was a very difficult (and point-maximizing) layout. Alysa has the advantage of having both the 3A and the quad. She obviously needs to work on that quad a bit, to get it all the way around, but if she maintains her jumps, she will be able to compete very well with the Russians when she gets to the senior level in two years.
I was lucky at the end of the summer to see her live at The Aurora Games in Albany and then live in Lake Placid. I knew that I was not going to Nationals, so I made sure that I took advantage of these opportunities when within easy driving distance. Looking forward to see how she develops.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

I read somewhere that Alysa grew four inches. So far it doesn't seem to have affected her jumps knock wood. Karen still looks an inch or two taller than Alysa though, judging by the podium pic. The top of Alysa's head doesn't quite reach Brady's ear, while Karen's does on the other side. Her shoulders and eye level look higher too than Alysa. That being said, Alysa will surely pass her in the coming year!

Sylvia

TBD
Reviving (16+ months later ;)) Alysa's fan thread now that the 2021-22 season is underway :) ... she finished 2nd in her Peggy Fleming Trophy debut, skating to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Major (her Wikipedia entry says it's her 2021-22 free skate, choreo. by Jeremy Abbott and Massimo Scali; filmed when she was in Egna, Italy with them in June) - link to the 2021 PFT thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...y-fleming-trophy-2021-virtual-edition.108439/

Re-posting here from the 2021 Sun Valley On Ice summer shows thread in GSD (Alysa performed there last night):
Sun Valley Summer Ice Shows FB page posted 2 videos of Alysa practicing (before last night's show) what looks like her new short program to Minkus' Don Quixote ballet (Act II: Gypsy Dance II):

(2A, Ina to 3F): https://www.facebook.com/sviceshows/posts/215579027234383

(1 minute until the end from footwork to Biellmann): https://www.facebook.com/sviceshows/posts/215509043908048

Clip from the beginning of her SP performance last night: https://twitter.com/ornorski/status/1416633048976674817

Her other performance was last season's exhibition to Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet": https://twitter.com/ornorski/status/1416627267011158017
Alysa will make her debut in the GP series this fall at Skate Canada International (Oct. 29-31) and NHK Trophy (Nov. 12-14).

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Mannnn… I have not seen an improvement from a female skater like this in YEARS. This is almost an Angela Nikodinov/ Papadakis & Cizeron transformation. Outrageously powerful, smooth and unlike most skaters these days, SHE STILL HAS THE JOY OF SKATING!!!!

She understood the assignment and she did the work. I am really impressed with her, regardless of how the season goes for her as it pertains to going to the Olympics. What a phenomenal gift that we are given in her because with the exception of Satoko I rarely re-watch anyone. I re-watched her performance here multiple times. Also, I have read comments where people discussed the changes her body is going through almost HOPING that she would have a hard time adjusting. She has adjusted amazingly and still seems to love what she does. I look forward to watching her career.

I understand that everyone does not like Lori Nichol’s take on and philosophy about skating and the relation to music that movement has but, her athletes that use her for years and years end up so well rounded with their own style that is defined yet versatile. That has been proven again and it’s amazing to see

Sylvia

TBD
Photos by Melanie Heaney of Alysa in Sun Valley performing to her SP to Don Quixote & Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet" that are published on her official website:
I understand that everyone does not like Lori Nichol’s take on and philosophy about skating and the relation to music that movement has ...
Not taking anything away from Lori Nichol at all but I don't believe Alysa has been able to work with her in person since the p*ndemic started. Massimo Scali is her primary coach and likely deserves a lot of credit for her improvements this year, along with Jeremy Abbott who started working with Alysa last fall, according to this article by Phil Hersh before 2021 Nationals:
ETA:

Alysa currently is at the OTC in Colorado Springs: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRm9WWVLHRp/

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

in this case, you are correct.
Photos by Melanie Heaney of Alysa in Sun Valley performing to her SP to Don Quixote & Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet" that are published on her official website:
Not taking anything away from Lori Nichol at all but I don't believe Alysa has been able to work with her in person since the p*ndemic started. Massimo Scali is her primary coach and likely deserves a lot of credit for her improvements this year, along with Jeremy Abbott who started working with Alysa last fall, according to this article by Phil Hersh before 2021 Nationals:

shine

I agree, what I saw in Alysa from the PFT was astonishing transformation. Her skating skills are looking amazing and she completely owns the music. If I didn't see her name, I wouldn't have known it's the same skater. I've also watched her program many, many times, which I haven't done with any ladies skater in a very long time.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Congratulations to Alysa on winning the Cranberry International! 🥇:cheer::cheer2:⛸️⛸️ I love her SP, and I especially LOVE her FS! Both programs feel 'Olympian' to me, and I really hope that she continues on this upward trajectory in the Olympic year! There's work to be done for sure, but she is improving by leaps and bounds post-injury and growth spurt! I hope she is sent to Nebelhorn - she certainly earned it at this summer time competition! No matter what happens at the Olympics, (should she make it on to the team), I dearly hope that Alysa has a successful Senior GP debut in this Olympic season, and I hope that she stays elite beyond the Games and (like Nathan), keeps right on improving with each passing year! ❤

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information