rfisher

Let the skating begin
What a competitor. Missed the combo and put in back in as smooth as silk. In the most high pressure event she's ever competed in. Both girls essentially tied and it was the short that made the difference. I'd have been equally happy regardless of who was 1st and 2nd because they truly are the 2 best ladies currently skating.

Amantide

I like Zag very much and I am very happy she won.:swoon:
I never liked Med tbh, although I always respected and admired her hard work and determination. But I felt very sorry for her, and I wasn't expecting it. I'm 45 yrs old and I would be screaming right now in anger (with destiny, not anybody else). I mean, you work hard for 4 years, you dominate for 4 years and win everything there is to win, save the last moment smb else beat you to it. That's heartbreaking and she handle it like a champ.
Kudos to both girls for such an amazing competition and a great skate. They gave it all out there.

Also, I am very happy for Osmond winning the bronze. That podium was perfect. :encore:

Spun Silver

Why do people think Alina would be retiring?
Wishful thinking! and the fact that life gets very busy and remunerative for an OGM. With wise management she could be set for life without having to work her little butt off and face down the endless train of new skating stars in her own training group.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Wishful thinking! and the fact that life gets very busy and remunerative for an OGM. With wise management she could be set for life without having to work her little butt off and face down the endless train of new skating stars in her own training group.
Thanks for the answer.
My personal bias is that everyone should retire after winning an OGM. Hanyu, of course is the exception. IMO - it just never goes well after the win.....and that makes total sense.

Re Alina: She has had barely one season as a Sr. She could certainly (and maybe should) take the medal and go. It would be lovely to see if she can actually develop artistically...finish out her movements....skate without being frenetic....get rid of the bend at the waist. But, we shall see.

Cherub721

YEAH!

Their interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SuT1YA9k2s

Alina says she has a cat, two chinchillas, and a dog, and wants another dog.

Rita compares the photo of Evgenia/Alina hugging with herself and Yana (her rival whom she upset). Alina says they are in good relations, she tries to focus on her own skating. She knew her program was more difficult, but that Evgenia's components are always higher and Evgenia usually beat her. When she saw that she was first, she didn't believe it at first, and she still doesn't believe it.

The first person she called after she won was her dad. He was screaming into the phone. He's also an athlete, so he understands what it means to her. Everything happened fast for her, she only began normal training at age 13, because she had a broken arm, then a broken leg, so she had two casts (she giggled at this).

She is asked about Eteri. She does not know why Eteri chose her mind and kept her, it remains a mystery. As to whether Eteri is strict, she used to be scared of her, and still is, but they have found an understanding. Before the performance she always comes to the locker room when they lace up the skates and sit side by side. She doesn't know why, but this makes her calm right away.

Alina says she didn't go the closing ceremony because they didn't know what the weather would be like and they don't have their flag, although she would've liked to have gone.

mollymgr

I don't know if this has been answered before but does anyone know who designed Alina's tutus? I was watching Olympic ice and Kristi was discussing figure skating fashion. She said that those tutus could cause a problem with the extra weight being on the waist but it doesn't seem to bother Alina at all. :lol:
I still can't believe the way she quickly readjusted her planned content so seamlessly. We saw so many people fall apart on Olympic Ice. She is only 15!!!!!!:respec:

leolion11

Thanks for the answer.
My personal bias is that everyone should retire after winning an OGM. Hanyu, of course is the exception. IMO - it just never goes well after the win.....and that makes total sense.

Re Alina: She has had barely one season as a Sr. She could certainly (and maybe should) take the medal and go. It would be lovely to see if she can actually develop artistically...finish out her movements....skate without being frenetic....get rid of the bend at the waist. But, we shall see.

Same! I really think Alina has the potential to become an even greater skater. It would be such a shame if she retired so quickly :( But I do remember reading an article where Alina said she wanted to continue skating so hopefully that means she'll be back next season with even better programs :cheer2:

Spun Silver

Thanks for the answer.

You know this is a cheer thread, right? As in, for fans of Zagitova. :shizuka1::cheer2: :saint: Just checking. :cool:

Spun Silver

I was interested to read that her first coach said she stood out for her artistry at a very young age. (As well as her disobedience, LOL). At 15, she surely has much more to say with her skating. It would be a pity for her to retire after only one season in seniors!

Spun Silver

Golly I thought I was being quite supportive.
Is there anything about her skating now that you like? It's just that you've been criticizing her all season. I didn't think you were a fan but maybe I am mistaken.

ETA: And since she is being criticized right and left here for having the gall to win competitions, and the OGM, it would be really nice if the one thread devoted to cheering her could ... cheer her. :saint:

Ohyes

Their interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SuT1YA9k2s

Alina says she has a cat, two chinchillas, and a dog, and wants another dog.

Rita compares the photo of Evgenia/Alina hugging with herself and Yana (her rival whom she upset). Alina says they are in good relations, she tries to focus on her own skating. She knew her program was more difficult, but that Evgenia's components are always higher and Evgenia usually beat her. When she saw that she was first, she didn't believe it at first, and she still doesn't believe it.

The first person she called after she won was her dad. He was screaming into the phone. He's also an athlete, so he understands what it means to her. Everything happened fast for her, she only began normal training at age 13, because she had a broken arm, then a broken leg, so she had two casts (she giggled at this).

She is asked about Eteri. She does not know why Eteri chose her mind and kept her, it remains a mystery. As to whether Eteri is strict, she used to be scared of her, and still is, but they have found an understanding. Before the performance she always comes to the locker room when they lace up the skates and sit side by side. She doesn't know why, but this makes her calm right away.

Alina says she didn't go the closing ceremony because they didn't know what the weather would be like and they don't have their flag, although she would've liked to have gone.

This was nice to read until....:( no one should be scared of their coach. Highly respectful? sure. not scared....:(

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Is there anything about her skating now that you like? It's just that you've been criticizing her all season. I didn't think you were a fan but maybe I am mistaken.

ETA: And since she is being criticized right and left here for having the gall to win competitions, and the OGM, it would be really nice if the one thread devoted to cheering her could ... cheer her. :saint:
How can one not be a fan of her courage, nerves, and ability to execute. I think these are lots of positive things being said. I think there is some confusion...if a cheer thread is dedicated to ONLY positive statements.....then we can make that rule
All posts with a comment or suggestion about improvement should be deleted.
Happy to abide by those rules. [I do love a good rule]. Cheering a skater on .. to me...does not mean ignoring short comings or areas that could GET better.

My 7 year old grandson hit what appeared to be a home run. Rather than getting to first he was watching his solid hit soar. We cheered the hit and groaned the rest. Note..Jonah needs a bit more practice.

Spun Silver

How can one not be a fan of her courage, nerves, and ability to execute. I think these are lots of positive things being said. I think there is some confusion...if a cheer thread is dedicated to ONLY positive statements.....then we can make that rule
All posts with a comment or suggestion about improvement should be deleted.
Happy to abide by those rules. [I do love a good rule]. Cheering a skater on .. to me...does not mean ignoring short comings or areas that could GET better.

My 7 year old grandson hit what appeared to be a home run. Rather than getting to first he was watching his solid hit soar. We cheered the hit and groaned the rest. Note..Jonah needs a bit more practice.
As you know, I am not in a position to make rules for FSU (nor do I have any desire to), so your call. I am simply pointing out that Zags is the Sotnikova of 2018 and there are other threads full of people criticizing her. This is a fan thread. Over and out.

Cherub721

YEAH!
This was nice to read until....:( no one should be scared of their coach. Highly respectful? sure. not scared....:(

I don't want to create any Fake News, so hopefully a native Russian speaker will chime in. :) She didn't seem upset or anything when she said that, so it's possible it does mean something like fear in the sense of respect.

snoopy

that article seems to assume a lot about Alina’s feelings.

I’m sure she is being given a hero’s welcome back home.

Spun Silver

that article seems to assume a lot about Alina’s feelings.

I’m sure she is being given a hero’s welcome back home.
Yeah, actually she got her Putin white car. (Can she even drive yet?) It's in her Instagram but I didn't feel like posting Putin stuff. He also awarded medals to her and the other Russian medalists and there was just a big skating show. And there was a pic in the news of Eteri, Alina and Med attending the giant pro-Putin rally a day or two ago... but I highly doubt the skaters had much to say in the matter.

iloveemoticons

This girl is such a warrior. Training and living away from her parents. Broke her arm and leg a few years ago. Dealing with tough coach Eteri. Skating the most difficult program in the world so cconsistently at practically every comp over the season. Handling all the stress, difficulty, highs and lows of life with the composure, maturity and equanimity of someone twice her age or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information