Alexei Yagudin wishes death on Adam Rippon for donating to a Black trans charity

Rina RUS

You do realize your entire explanation was extremely sexist, right?
For one thing, if I say f*ck that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person and that (a) men are going to try to beat me up and (b) if they do it's my own fault for saying f*ck...

For me it is not about expecting to be beaten for a "wrong" word. When I was younger, I disliked hearing such words from people I liked. Now I can be OK with them, even though I don't use them in my speech. It seems I need only one word which is almost "мат", but not as rude as the other words which are called "мат" in Russian.
Russians also teach young people to give up the seat in transport to elderly people, to handicapped people, to passengers with kids or to pregnant women. This is not ageism for us. :) Some even are used to give up the seat to any woman. Others think that this is sexism.
I don't say this culture is right or always better than other cultures. I just say it exists. :)

It is said that ***19 is more dangerous for elderly people, right? I don't think this is ageism.
Sometimes people think that biological difference matters, sometimes they don't think so.

VGThuy

I read Rowling's article and my main take-away is that she is afraid that a straight man pretending to be trans woman will come into a public restroom and rape her.

Yeah, and it's making her irrational. If she actually studied the issue the way she said she did, she would know that's just a hate mongering talking point anti-trans folks use to justify their hatred. There's no data supporting that happening.

Sparks

i apologize on the words lifestyle maybe different views would be better.
Think about it this way. If you were asked to describe your lifestyle, would it include who you love? Probably not. It may include your devotion to the church, your living place (suburban, urban, or rural), what your hobbies are, what kind of activities you like, etc.

CaliSteve

I complete agree that Yags deserved whatever insults Rippon sent his way.
Yet, prior to that Rippon started insulting and using F-words on "below the belt" area against Rowling, who was raising her questions in a proper literary language (sort of "ideological discussion"). Then Yag jumped in. That's what i meant.

When one wishes you to "croak" - f-words are proper. When one raises an "ideology" issues in a proper language - f-words make the respondent wrong.

Any issues can be debated politely in a proper language. Using F-word as an exclamation (What the F- is that! or I am f-ing tired...) is one thing, not great.. but not a fowl insult to another. But for a man (Rippon) to say to a woman (Rowling) a phrase with a use of f-word and suggesting an action of shoving it into her private area is nothing to praise. Even if it is an ideological disagreement use of literature/formal language is called for.

... still, Yag takes the cake with his comments, Rowling and Rippon can take a seat... :D

You remind me of my mother in law.

MsZem

I see the sea
i apologize on the words lifestyle maybe different views would be better.
I imagine you mean well, becca, but I think this gets at the heart of it:
It was Never a lifestyle. Just a life.
Language does matter here. A disagreement over views is when we debate something politely (or less so). It is not wishing someone dead because you disapprove of the charity they choose to support.

Tinami Amori

I say Yagudin is getting too much attention already, he is not that known outside of Russia for last decade..
Someone should post him "Devine" films to watch... :D

... Yag is not that far off from this genre... He recently did a comedy routine about a Russian style "trailer park" grocery store clerk flirting with an arab man.

Last edited:

NancyNC

It never fails to amaze me when people know s**t about f**k (to borrow a line from Ozark) but choose to show just how much they don't know publically. And good on Adam for his response(s).

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I read Rowling's article and my main take-away is that she is afraid that a straight man pretending to be trans woman will come into a public restroom and rape her.
I can understand why she might be afraid of that but the last person who would rape her in a public loo is a trans woman!!!! Many trans women have been the victims of sexual violence as well. If she sat down with a few trans people and talked with them, she would realise that she has nothing to fear from the trans community.
As to being afraid to do abc because of xyz, we take risks every day. We all have to pee so we take a calculated risk in using a public toilet.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't think she's afraid of an actual trans woman raping someone in a public restroom. She's afraid of someone pretending to be a trans woman raping someone in a public restroom. And she's wondering how to educate girls on when they should be concerned by someone else in a public restroom and when they shouldn't.

She laid out a bunch of arguments for her "position," which as far as I can tell is that cis women and trans women are not one in the same, and that was the weakest by far. Public restrooms have never been safe.

Miezekatze

To me it sounds from her "explanatory" letter that JK Rowling has some unresolved issues from her own experiences with abuse, that seems to make her see predators everywhere? IMO what she's going on about has nothing to do with trans people at all, she seems to be projecting all kind of stuff irrationally.

I also wonder about her views of herself as a feminist and those Richard Galbraith books she writes. I found some of them quite entertaining, but IMO they are really full of very traditional and cliche views on men and women, full of sexism and macho-esque men that treat women badly and quite some irritating female characters as well (they're a bit like some 80's movie, at best one could say "old-fashioned").
So when she writes with the pseudonym of a men she also writes as a misogynist man with macho views? It doesn't really come across as all hat ironical or critical either.

Yagudin is disgusting.

Ka3sha

I can only repeat what I said earlier in the Russian thread - Yagudin is disgusting. But that's not news, unfortunately.
It's not the first time he says something outrageous and am sure it won't be the last.

Russian articles and news on that matter are also quite fascinating, since this scandal got event to news on RBC (business newspaper). Apparently several Russian skaters supported Adam - Evgenia Medvedeva commented under his Instagram post and few other skaters (Tuktamysheva, Aliev, Eremenko) liked it. So Russian journalists couldn't miss it and now there are several stupid headlines like 'Medvedeva unfollowed Yagudin', 'Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva are boycotting Yagudin', 'Medvedeva supported a gay American skater' and etc all over Russian press.
While some comments under these articles definitely make you cringe :scream: (like people saying that they will stop rooting for Aliev because of his like under Rippon's post or that Medvedeva is a liberal and a traitor), overall I think people, even those who don't necessarily support Rippon, agree that Yagudin is a stupid jerk.

Last edited:

muffinplus

I can only repeat what I said earlier in the Russian thread - Yagudin is disgusting. But that's not news, unfortunately.
It's not the first time he says something outrageous and am sure it won't be the last.

Russian articles and news on that matter are also quite fascinating, since this scandal got event to news on RBC (business newspaper). Apparently several Russian skaters supported Adam - Evgenia Medvedeva commented under his Instagram post and few other skaters (Tuktamysheva, Aliev, Eremenko) liked it. So Russian journalists couldn't miss it and now there are several stupid headlines like 'Medvedeva unfollowed Yagudin', 'Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva are boycotting Yagudin', 'Medvedeva supported a gay American skater' and etc all over Russian press.
While some comments under these articles definitely make you cringe :scream: (like people saying that they will stop rooting for Aliev because of his like under Rippon's post or that Medvedeva is a liberal and a traitor), overall I think people, even those who don't necessarily support Rippon, agree that Yagudin is a stupid jerk.

I thought Aliev also liked Yagudin's post or apology post? But yeah, I agree the comments are absolutely horrible and cringeworthy.

Tavi

JK Rowling seems to have come to her feminism late given that she chose her own pen name with the express purpose of sounding gender neutral and the main protagonists of her best selling books are almost entirely male....

She says in her article that as a kid she struggled a lot with ambivalence about being a woman.

bardtoob

Yag can't mind his own business and he has some collective support. Pretty soon it will be comrade this and comrade that and state ownership and high taxes ... Rather than somebody from within having the courage to say, "Mind your own business!" in language he'd understand.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
JK Rowling seems to have come to her feminism late given that she chose her own pen name with the express purpose of sounding gender neutral and the main protagonists of her best selling books are almost entirely male....
IIRC, Rowling was told by her publisher to use a different name because there was concern that publishing the first HP title - by a then-unknown author with a feminine name - would affect sales. Being a feminist doesn't mean she was in a position of power, and it doesn't require writing primarily female characters. If there are issues with how she writes about girls, women, and LGBT people, that's another matter.

But I don't think what Yagudin posted has much to do with Rowling's views on anything. It's entirely on him.

Fairuza

I am more surprised that I am not shocked by Yagudins public statements. Disturbing.

Not sure he will have any consequences.
There won’t be any consequences for him, not the first disgusting thing he said or wrote, not the last either, I am afraid. He feels secure within the Russian homophobia culture, and he even gained a few points for himself among the compatriots of the same ilk.
That’s what is infuriating - he feels safe and protected to be doing all these things.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The question I have to ask is: What is it in Yagudin or in his upbringing that has made him so casually and disgustingly racist and homophobic? This is not the first time that Yagudin has had to be called out for his biased comments and attitudes. What an absolute shame that he possessed such exemplary athletic talent that brought him to the top of the sport, when what's inside of him is so mean, low and unworthy of anyone's attention, much less anyone's respect.

A big thank you to Adam for his caring heart and his kicka$$ response to fcuksh*t! I admire the responsible way you always carry yourself and how you represent and put your money where your mouth is, demonstrating that mere lip service is not enough. You are a great role model, Adam! The example you continue to set fills me with so much gratitude and inspiration, even more-so than the joy and gratitude I have felt in witnessing you overcome obstacles to accomplish special moments and amazing milestones in your skating career! :respec:

aftershocks

Banned Member

Whaaat??? Seriously, that should be the least of Rowling's worries. I mean, why would that even be on her radar of crap to worry about? :rolleyes: What is she trying to do, attract that kind of karmic energy to herself?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The question I have to ask is: What is it in Yagudin or in his upbringing that has made him so casually and disgustingly racist and homophobic? This is not the first time that Yagudin has had to be called out for his biased comments and attitudes. What an absolute shame that he possessed such exemplary athletic talent that brought him to the top of the sport, when what's inside of him is so mean, low and unworthy of anyone's attention, much less anyone's respect.

I don't think it's anything to do with his upbringing. I'd rather say it's him suppressing a lot of feelings that he once had or was experiencing. Often the loudest critics are the ones that are in the same boat.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't think it's anything to do with his upbringing. I'd rather say it's him suppressing a lot of feelings that he once had or was experiencing. Often the loudest critics are the ones that are in the same boat.

It could be due to both Yagudin's upbringing and his suppression of 'same boat' feelings, especially since he exhibits various kinds of bias, chiefly in this instance, racism and homophobia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information