3rd annual Peggy Fleming Trophy - 2020 virtual edition

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Enjoyed the opportunity to have an evening where I got to yell at skating on TV, but the wave of the future for skating? I hope not. But definitely a good method of producing pro-am events, especially if there's better/creative camerawork involved.

I don't care if it was pre-recorded, but I do care about it feeling live—and that's what this lacked in spades. I get that this was low-/no-budget, but there so many missed opportunities here to make the viewers feel immersed in the same moment together.

They could have livestreamed this on YT instead of their corny FanZone platform so we were all experiencing the same thing at the same time. A virtual KnC with the competitors waiting for their scores, as opposed to flashing the scores immediately after the video ended, would have been nice. They could have overlaid a scoring bug so viewers could keep track of the required technical elements and the "signature move" (which I could never recall by the time the program was underway). And at the very least, post protocols online afterwards so folks could pore over them, claim that someone #wuzrobbed and call INTERPOL. (ETA: Found the protocols!)

Jason's program was stunning. Of course, as others have noted, it was most likely filmed before SAH orders were being issued en masse, so he appeared more technically sound. What made it the most successful of the programs IMHO was how immersed Jason appeared while skating. If he was thinking about technical elements, I would have never guessed it. And having a step-on ice rink helped this feel more intimate.

Other highlights for me were Tomoki, Sierra (massively underscored + the only one who made their program camera-friendly), Emmanuel, and Sonya. Lots of good old school skating here. Glad to see Eddie Shipstad is keeping the Ice Follies razzle dazzle legacy alive with Sonya.

Last edited:

Tavi

Enjoyed the opportunity to have an evening where I got to yell at skating on TV, but the wave of the future for skating? I hope not. But definitely a good method of producing pro-am events, especially if there's better/creative camerawork involved.

I don't care if it was pre-recorded, but I do care about it feeling live—and that's what this lacked in spades. I get that this was low-/no-budget, but there so many missed opportunities here to make the viewers feel immersed in the same moment together.

They could have livestreamed this on YT instead of their corny FanZone platform. A virtual KnC with the competitors waiting for their scores, as opposed to flashing the scores immediately after the video ended, would have been nice. They could have overlaid a scoring bug so viewers could keep track of the required technical elements and the "signature move" (which I could never recall by the time the program was underway). And at the very least, post protocols online afterwards so folks could pore over them, claim that someone #wuzrobbed and call INTERPOL.

Jason's program was stunning. Of course, as others have noted, it was most likely filmed before SAH orders were being issued en masse, so he appeared more technically sound. What made it the most successful of the programs IMHO was how immersed Jason appeared while skating. If he was thinking about technical elements, I would have never guessed it. And having a step-on ice rink helped this feel more intimate.

Other highlights for me were Tomoki, Sierra (massively underscored + the only one who made their program camera-friendly), and Sonya. Lots of good old school skating here. Glad to see Eddie Shipstad is keeping the Ice Follies razzle dazzle legacy alive with Sonya.

I don’t think Jason’s program could have been filmed before stay at home orders were issued. This wasn’t announced as a virtual competition until the end of April. All of the entries had to be filmed between July 8-10. Jason went back home to Illinois in mid-March and was able to get back on the ice there for a few weeks in early to mid-June, when he worked with Ro. He didn’t get back to Canada until June 23 and was in a 2-week quarantine until July 8. So at best, he was back on the ice 3 days when that was filmed at TCC.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/virtual-figure-skating-competition-peggy-fleming-trophy/

beckab81

While I would have preferred better camera work, I thought that the ways it was filmed really highlighted the differences in skating skills. The top 6 were definitely a step above in terms of speed and edgework.

That being said, Sonya and Starr had performances that stuck with me. Mostly I just loved watching skating again!

concorde

I was surprised on the scoring since this is billed as an artistic competition. At the beginning, Peggy (I think) commented that skills would only be graded on whether or not they were completed and the number of rotations did not matter. As least that was how I heard it.

But if I understand the grading correctly, it looks like the number of rotation did play a factor in the base score (just went back to double check and it looks like the scores were pulled from the website). It that is the case, since the men are doing harder jump in competition, then it make sense the men were the top finishers.

My two favorites were Sonya and Emmanual.

Sylvia

TBD
Protocols are still up: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/2020PFT/SEGM001.html
Starr Andrews & Sierra Venetta also got zero points for their step sequences - doe anyone know why they wouldn't have received credit?
I'll have to rewatch the programs of Camden, Starr and Sierra, but I was told the step sequence had to "fully cover the ice" and include "7 difficult turns" in more than one rotational direction.

ETA:

Glad to see all the Sonja Hilmer love! :) She may not be a well-known skater but I've noticed many of her competition programs in the past due to her musicality and expressivity.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sonja Hilmer skates to her own choreo here (March 2020):
Hi everyone! My newest combo is all about self expression and perseverance. I for one need a reminder every so often to stay true to myself and love who I am. I hope this choreography can inspire all of you to do the same! ;) -Sonja

Proud runner up for the 2020 Quest for Creativity by American Ice Theatre! *The only things I own are the choreography and intro quote
Music in this video: "You Say" by Lauren Daigle

gkelly

I'm not sure what it was so much that had Starr placing just behind Poojah, unless the judges were looking for something extra in Starr's expressiveness.

The judges preferred Andrews to Kalyan on PCS by 3.12 points, 62.64 to 59.52.

Kalyan had a 4.21 advantage in TES, most of which came from the base value of the step sequence, which Andrews did not get credit for.

I was surprised on the scoring since this is billed as an artistic competition. At the beginning, Peggy (I think) commented that skills would only be graded on whether or not they were completed and the number of rotations did not matter. As least that was how I heard it.

But if I understand the grading correctly, it looks like the number of rotation did play a factor in the base score (just went back to double check and it looks like the scores were pulled from the website). It that is the case, since the men are doing harder jump in competition, then it make sense the men were the top finishers.

No, it seems that all ComSer1 (jump combo or series) earned 6.0 points base value regardless of whether they were double-double, triple-triple, or otherwise.

All TJ1 had base value of 4.2, all EJ1 had base value of 4.4, and all AJ1 had base value of 3.5, again regardless of whether they were double or triple, or single in the case of axels. And there were no edge or rotation calls.

Chen had harder jump content than most of the men, including most of those who placed ahead of her.

Number of rotations might have made some difference in the GOEs.

jlai

Question everything
Actually I think the men will always do better than ladies because they are generally older than the ladies and have more years in basic skill building. It is not a surprise that two of the top 5 are the oldest in the competition (or I can be wrong)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, the Peggy Fleming Trophy is fun to watch, and I hope they use this as a trial run to aid in ironing out the logistical and technical problems inherent in this new, formerly unheard of competition format. I doubt that any eventual major competition held virtually will allow competitors to tape versions to select from before submission.

Thanks to those who provided the protocols. It's nice to get some insight I suppose on the judges' thinking, but I personally don't enjoy poring over the numbers. It's time-consuming. It's helpful hearing synopses from fans who like analyzing the ins-and-outs of protocols. The current scoring system still has many flaws. But I think fs scoring has always been problematic. Post the institution of IJS, quite often in regular competitions, PCS-manipulation is rampant. So of course, politics is always a factor.

Again, placements 2-5 at this competition are a toss-up -- those competitors are all very accomplished and all skated well. IMO, Andrew and Tim have a bit more artistic range to their skating at this point than Tomoki. And we haven't gotten to see enough of Emmanuel in competition to determine his creative range. But Emmanuel skated very beautifully and he should probably have edged Tomoki, at the very least. That view surely won't sit well with those who love Tomoki and feel he should have placed second. LOL I think Tomoki's program is great, and it should prove to be another big step forward in his career as the program develops (which will be complicated to manage this season).

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I love the theme song to Cowboy Bebop, I'm glad someone chose it for skating. Tomoki did such a good job with it! :respec:
Yes! I'm so glad that someone did Yoko Kanno's music justice. Almost makes me forget Kevin Reynold's meltdown performance to it. Almost.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
i finally watched it. i regret it. Zamboni was the most interesting part.

Clearly you missed the astonishing performances of Jason Brown and Emmanuel Savary. I suggest you try again.

I vastly prefer many of the artistic performances here to the "gymnastics-on-ice" approach so prevalent in figure skating today,particularly the Russian girls.

While this event was enjoyable,the low-rent commentator has to go. Miss Fleming must commentate her event. And of course this should have been broadcast on NBC. I loathe watching television on my computer monitor.

-BB

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jordan Cowan uploaded his 4K version of Starr Andrews' "Black Like Me" program today:

ETA... and her performance to Mickey Guyton's song is being noticed online:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I love this version by Starr even better, as filmed by Jordan Cowan! :love:

The work Jordan does for his OIP brand is so amazing. The skating while filming great performances, the editing, the vlog interviews. How he does all this so wonderfully well, I don't know. But I certainly enjoy watching. :watch:

moebius

I don't think it's fair that Jason entered the competition, as he is million heads above the rest. It's like an adult competing against kids. No competition at all for Jason. He probably doesn't need the jumps and still be able to win. All the rest of the competitors know before the competition begins there is no way to get first place and that they have to fight for 2nd and 3rd place.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't think it's fair that Jason entered the competition, as he is million heads above the rest. It's like an adult competing against kids. No competition at all for Jason. He probably doesn't need the jumps and still be able to win. All the rest of the competitors know before the competition begins there is no way to get first place and that they have to fight for 2nd and 3rd place.

:rofl:

It's a competition. Any eligible skater is allowed to compete.

That's like saying no male skaters should enter any competition that Hanyu or Nathan are competing in. :lol:

I hope that the Peggy Fleming Trophy organizers will simply have separate mens and ladies events going forward. IMO, that would be fairer to the ladies. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Episode 32 of the Ice Tea podcast focuses on the Peggy Fleming Trophy and Andrew Torgashev joined the hosts after the 28-minute mark (and talked about creatively collaborating with Josh Farris on his program after the 31-min. mark & again at 43:48):

Torgashev also confirmed in the podcast that his "Put It On Me" PFT program will remain a show program and shared the performance as an IGTV video on his Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCw9bN2pj8h/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Too early to start a new thread so I'm bumping up last year's thread with the good news :) ... The 4th edition of the Peggy Fleming Trophy will return this summer as a virtual event for U.S. senior level men & ladies: https://peggyfleming.com/2021-peggy-fleming-trophy/

Video submission deadline: June 23, 2021
Event judging: June 29-30, 2021
Streaming on USFS' Fan Zone platform: July 9 or 10, 2021

Sylvia

TBD
The 2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy will be streamed on July 16 via USFS' Fan Zone: https://twitter.com/PFTrophy/status/1392982063205265409

The 18 skaters entered are (in alphabetical order):
Starr Andrews
Maxine Marie Bautista
Jason Brown
Karen Chen
Julia Fennell
Courtney Hicks
Sonja Hilmer
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Pooja Kalyan
Isabeau Levito
Alysa Liu