2023 U.S. Nationals in San Jose

5Ali3

SAP Center allows outside food and beverages: no smuggling necessary! In 2018, we were allowed to bring in paper bags from the Whole Foods next door - not sure how that intersects with the new miniature clear bag policy. Maybe the "reasonable amounts of food" mentioned in the arena FAQ is defined as "you can carry it in your hands and pockets"?

I'm wondering about bringing a small lightweight packable/foldable bag in your pocket. The clear bag policy is about reducing screening times to facilitate entry and reducing the ease of bringing weapons into the arena. I can't guarantee that security inside the arena won't fuss at you for walking around with a non-clear bag, but the clear bag policy doesn't apply to credentialed individuals (although bags are still searched at the credentialed entrance) so there will be plenty of non-clear bags in the arena. No guarantees - please don't be mad at me if this doesn't work - but it seems like it might.

SAP staff was quite chill in 2018. I've attended most Nationals over the past few decades and 2018 SAP was the most accommodating venue that I recall.

mattiecat13

I'm packing my clear stadium bag as well as a fanny pack. If I can't use one, I'll use the other. But as a friend pointed out, you can't even fit a program into the 5x9x2 bag.

SCG888

Reading the comments about volunteers being told the Practices (at the practice rink) would be open, has anyone seen that in writing? It's a few miles between the practice rink and the stadium, so this may be the deciding factor in getting a car for the trip (amongst other factors).

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @ice coverage for pointing out that there's now a DETAILED ATHLETE SCHEDULE (updated today, Jan. 19) linked from USFS' Nationals event info page that has replaced the old Practice Groups document link: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2023USChamps_OPIgroups.pdf (this link also has been posted in the Entries...Practice Groups thread in the US National Championships 2023 subforum in Kiss & Cry)

ETA: The linked Shuttle Schedule is for credentialed people only, sorry! :D

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Reading the comments about volunteers being told the Practices (at the practice rink) would be open, has anyone seen that in writing? It's a few miles between the practice rink and the stadium, so this may be the deciding factor in getting a car for the trip (amongst other factors).
My take on it is that it's a public facility so the only way we wouldn't be allowed is if they are a guard at every door into whatever ice surface is used.

myhoneyhoney

Looks like they’re having morning-afternoon public skating, at least for Wed the 24th, so the facility is pretty open. Maybe they’ll be checking credentials at each “rink room entrance” in order to watch the practices?

ice coverage

Polina Edmunds is promoting her podcast episode devoted to Nats.
I have not listened to it yet, but am interested in doing so.

PODCAST EP 107✨ I give you all the info on the upcoming 2023 Toyota US Championships next week:
  • Location and Venue
  • Restaurants to visit in San Jose
  • High Performance National Development Camp
  • Schedule of all Events
  • Brian Boitano's Lounge
  • Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast
  • USFS Hall of Fame Reception
  • Who to Watch in the Championship Events ✨

Thanks @ice coverage for pointing out that there's now a DETAILED ATHLETE SCHEDULE (updated today, Jan. 19) linked from USFS' Nationals event info page that has replaced the old Practice Groups document link: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2023USChamps_OPIgroups.pdf (this link also has been posted in the Entries...Practice Groups thread in the US National Championships 2023 subforum in Kiss & Cry) ...

🤗 My dear Sylvia, you deserve all the thanks/credit for bringing the Detailed Athlete Schedule to my/our attention. 👏

Full disclosure: When I looked at the practice groups link last night and this morning, what it was showing was Version 2.0 (dated Jan 17) of the old practice groups format that was just a list of names for each group.

BTW, the color-coded schedule now is up to Draft 6.0, which is dated Jan 19.
It reflects that Junior Pairs now has only two groups.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting my reply in this thread:
[FWIW(?): And in Senior Dance: Depietri/Carey have been added to Practice Groups; but Murphy/Levitt have not.]
The Athlete Skating Schedule Revision: Draft 6.2; Published: 1/19/2023 has been updated again today and Murphy/Levitt are back in Senior Ice Dance Group A where they belong: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2023USChamps_OPIgroups.pdf

ETA a link to listen to Polina Edmunds' podcast about Nationals (14 mins.):

Last edited:

Debbie S

I emailed SAP earlier in the week to ask about the sign/banner policy (website isn't clear) and confirm if we can bring in food. No response so I called today. The woman who answered sounded a bit flustered, said they've been getting lots of calls and emails but management hasn't given them the event rules yet. I pointed out that the event is next week and she said sometimes they don't get the rules until the day of.

She didn't know about signs or banners but did say we could bring in food (it's a "family event") but then said "small snacks." I asked her to clarify and she said a bag of chips, not a whole pizza. I asked her about a sandwich from Whole Foods and she said not to bring in "a bag of food b/c bags have to be small." OK, so we need a separate small bag just for food? Would they really confiscate food if we carry it in our hands? :rolleyes:

Debbie S

I just got a return call from SAP. Wow, they may have draconian bag policies but they're good with customer service. Bag size still 5x9x2 but we can carry food by hand. Or another small bag. She said sandwiches are fine, just "not a gourmet meal" and I should tell them my sandwich is a snack. :lol:

If we bring in water bottles, they have to be sealed and unopened. We can bring empty bottles for refilling, they have stations.

Banners/signs are fine as long as they fit through the doorway, no sticks or poles, no obscene language or ads, don't obstruct views.

Carolla5501

IME, complying with the bag/food policy is only important on the first competition day. They will get overwhelmed and change things for day 2.

Well, I won’t be there until Senior long programs and that’s when they often start clamping down again because they have so many people coming

acraven

I post this every year, it seems. At some point it will probably no longer be true; with luck, there will be no issues this year.

I have not yet been turned away with a standard-size opaque tote bag. What I do is walk up to the security folks early in the week (I'm there from the first day of competition) with the contents of said tote bag in my arms and the tote bag empty. I show them that the tote bag is empty. As soon as I observe other spectators (overwhelmingly non-threatening middle-aged females, in my experience) getting through security with stuffed tote bags (which I think has usually been on Day 1), I stop removing the contents. I smile at the checkers and exchange pleasantries with them; that doesn't hurt. In places where food is disallowed, I hide my food very, very well so they never find anything prohibited in my bag.

After paying for an all-event ticket, I refuse to worry about how I'll get essential items (sunglasses, hat, gloves, medication, program, schedule, practice groups, required contents for short programs and free skates, reading material for Zamboni breaks, cell phone, tablet computer, external battery, wallet, legal-in-San Jose water bottle) into the arena. Other than the tablet computer and back-up batter, exactly which of those items am supposed to do without for 8 to 14 hours? I assume logic will prevail. I do take with me one of the flat backpack-like things that I can wear under my coat if the security folks unexpectedly turn out to be sticklers for the rules.

I'll try to remember to report on my experience with the door staff on Tuesday.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Usually, the bag policy officially changes to something reasonable by now. Since it hasn't, I guess I will have to figure something out.

I was going to buy a cross-body bag that was close to the dimensions when I realized that I have a nice bag that is pretty close. Except it will never fit a program or my iPad. And I put it away because it's gotten a bit grungy.

I also have one of those LoungeFly bags with cute Star Wars babies on it. It is definitely bigger than the dimensions but I love it and it holds a reasonable amount if not a program and it's still on the small size.

Decisions, decisions.

YukiNieve

I’ve never seen them with a measuring tape, but I did have one that had a template you had to lay your bag on.
My local friends told me that they have a square drawn on a paper on which you put the bag to see if it fits within. I am not sure how strictly they will use that.

myhoneyhoney

It was cold everywhere, even in the bench area between the bathrooms and concession. Upstairs was a bit warmer.

I think I have fleece lined leggings, I’ll need to look for them. Maybe even gloves 😅

moonvine

The cost is $143 for all-event and $83 for weekend. Which is a lot but is actually cheaper than the SA parking passes. If only all skating events could have Greensboro pricing...I think parking passes there were $60? Sigh....
The Greensboro committee or whatever they are called worked extremely hard to make everything extremely affordable, to the extent of being able to fill out a form and sending it in the mail to avoid Ticketmaster fees and yes, the parking passes. That comp was also the first time I had been able to afford an all event ticket. The physical space was not as impressive as Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, particularly the suites. But disability services were top notch. When I saw the price of the tickets for Nashville I almost went into orbit. The Championship Weekend package was about the same as the all event ticket price for Greensboro. But I digress.

Anyone know how disability services are at SAP?

moonvine

So Nationals schedule is driven by television? That’s why we have junior ladies at 8 AM because of television?

No, it’s obviously being driven by the desire to reduce costs. Just like the decision to remove novices from this event, etc. they are working hard to shorten the amount of time they’re using expensive arenas.

Now there are pros and cons. You don’t have to spend as long as the city to see all the events but of course you do have to be at the arena at 8 AM.
Nationals schedule has always (or for as long as I’ve been going) been dictated by television. The juniors are not affected because they aren’t shown on television.

moonvine

I totally get that there are other stakeholders to consider and no perfect answer. But the continual choice by USFSA to put fan interests last (along with the inability to watch replays of skating events on demand, which is related) is likely why Figure Skating has such a small and shrinking fan base in the US. I think USFSA needs to reconsider where they rank fans in their list of stakeholders. Many other sports have events at times that are sub-optimal for the athletes and / or the association because that is when they will attract the largest audience of in-person and TV fans.
I wish they would look at how Canadian nationals are covered and take a hint (or several) from them.

Annie from USFS told me they are “working on a solution” to have replays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information