2023 U.S. Nationals in San Jose

Carolla5501

Some information for those with reservations at the Arena Hotel. Seems it will go/has gone/is going through a transition. You don't want to arrive and not have a room reserved.

Well, this could explain reports that this place has gone way downhill. Why would you bother to invest it if it’s going to be bought by the city?

Reading the follow-up article below this one makes me believe the city has not done anything with the Arena, so your reservations are probably OK now, but...

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Some information for those with reservations at the Arena Hotel. Seems it will go/has gone/is going through a transition. You don't want to arrive and not have a room reserved.

This is happening in many places around the US, even in NYC, where my old 5-star hotel near Lincoln Center/Metropolitan Opera became a homeless shelter.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

The hotel hasn't even been purchased by the city yet let alone people's reservations been canceled. Way to fear-monger.

beebee

The hotel hasn't even been purchased by the city yet let alone people's reservations been canceled. Way to fear-monger.
Why so provocative and accusatory? The city is in the process of purchasing and converting the hotel. People with reservations there have a need to know. They can choose to ignore this if they like. No need to label anyone, particularly when you don't know the full story.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Why so provocative and accusatory? The city is in the process of purchasing and converting the hotel. People with reservations there have a need to know. They can choose to ignore this if they like. No need to label anyone, particularly when you don't know the full story.
Because your post is dumb. There is no way the sale will go through by US Nationals. It's in two weeks and the city hasn't even gotten the money yet just been told they were awarded the grant.

PS. I do know the full story. I live here and have been active in my own city's efforts to get a Project Homekey grant.

A.H.Black

I don't see this happening immediately. It's too bad. I have always wished there were more hotels closer to the SAP center, not fewer. I guess in California, close is relative. On the other hand, as we walk to and from the SAP center, it is very clear that housing is a serious problem.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
The original article posted was dated May of last year. On the same page, there is a link to a newer article dated in December. It states the process hasn't started yet at The Arena. So it's going to be months before any of this occurs, if it occurs.

acraven

I have a reservation at the Arena Hotel and am due to arrive late on January 23. I'll try to remember to post about how things are going the next day. I have my fingers crossed, figuratively speaking. I really don't mind walking farther to the arena from one of the other hotels, but being near Whole Foods (even with the inflated prices) is extremely advantageous.

Rates at the Arena Hotel on the event website are fluctuating, perhaps as a result of this news. I booked directly a long time ago and got a room with two beds at $160 per night. A few weeks ago, I think I saw a similar rate on the event website, though it was probably for a king room; those are more common and probably less expensive. A few days ago the rate was up over $240. A few hours ago it was back down near $160. The hotel has treated me fairly so far, allowing me to drop the first two nights of my reservation without trying to renegotiate the cost of the remaining nights. We'll see how it goes when I actually show up.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I also loved the convenience of the drugstore in easy walking distance to the Arena Hotel. Plus the nice coffee/tea place across the street if that's still there. Glad it will still be there for this Nationals at least for everyone with reservations.

ichuen

I also loved the convenience of the drugstore in easy walking distance to the Arena Hotel. Plus the nice coffee/tea place across the street if that's still there. Glad it will still be there for this Nationals at least for everyone with reservations.
I live down the street from the Arena. Unfortunately the drugstore CVS closed down in December. The Next drug store is on San Carlos Street. Quite a few of restaurants downtown have closed down during Covid. The Coffee Shop, Crema across the street closed down but they do have a new location up the block.

Sylvia

TBD
"Save and guarantee a parking space in advance. An All-session package will include one parking pass per day Monday through Sunday. A weekend package includes one parking pass per day from Friday through Sunday. In and out privileges will be allowed. Please present the QR code to the parking attendant upon arrival."

Debbie S

"Save and guarantee a parking space in advance. An All-session package will include one parking pass per day Monday through Sunday. A weekend package includes one parking pass per day from Friday through Sunday. In and out privileges will be allowed. Please present the QR code to the parking attendant upon arrival."
The cost is $143 for all-event and $83 for weekend. Which is a lot but is actually cheaper than the SA parking passes. If only all skating events could have Greensboro pricing...I think parking passes there were $60? Sigh....

DreamSkates

Well, just kill me now. I just looked at the Peacock schedule published in October and it appears they aren't showing any of the Junior events and not even all of the Championship level events. I can't even find any info on perhaps showing Jr. level events on FanZone but I'm also not very good at finding anything on the U. S. Figure Skating website.
Peacock sometimes doesn’t put all the links up until right before the event. They usually have all the senior level competitions plus practices. They might change start times to adapt to your time zone so I start checking the day before the event starts.

Sylvia

TBD
Starr Andrews was in San Jose today to help promote Nationals (she took over USFS Instagram stories): https://www.instagram.com/stories/usfigureskating/3012790346134257395/ & https://www.instagram.com/stories/starrandrews2001/3012782465238339188/

sanjosesports (San Jose Sports Authority) shared a group photo of today's flag raising ceremony in the Rotunda at San Jose City Hall at 12 noon ("hosted by @nbcbayarea personality @rajmathai. The ceremony will also include @mattmahansj, Mayor of San Jose, Councilmember @devdavisca, John Poch, Executive Director of the San Jose Sports Authority, Jon Gustafson, Senior Vice President, SAP Center & Sharks Ice, Olympian and San Jose native @polinaedmunds"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CnQJsfyPyZW/

There's a clip of Polina speaking at the Rotunda, as well as Starr skating & doing a meet and greet at Sharks Ice (per sanjosesports' Instagram stories).

peibeck

Simply looking
For those who are not seasoned Nationals attendees. The San Jose arena is cold - especially if you sit close. If you are thinking that because San Jose has mild temperatures, you do not need to bring your warm winter stuff - think again.

I only attended in 2012, but I thought the San Jose arena was one of the warmer arenas I've ever been in. (I was in the 6th or 7th row as I recall, so not right on top of the ice.) St. Louis, Boston and Nashville were all A LOT worse, imo. Of course, I also think it matters where the vents are from above. No matter where I was in Nashville, it seemed I was also in the down draft of one of the air vents. :cold:

Have fun everyone who is attending. I hope the crazy weather CA has been getting cooperates for you all.

Debbie S

In 2012, I was fine with my lighter jacket. In 2018, I was freezing in that same jacket b/c I was right under a vent. This time, I'm bringing my winter jacket and the lighter jacket...if winter jacket is too hot, I'll switch. But if you are going to the practice rink, winter jacket is a must.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But if you are going to the practice rink, winter jacket is a must.
Absolutely on this one!

I have been to SAP Center a gazillion times and I find it in the middle in terms of cold. I generally wear layers because I am always cold if I am under a vent even if the vent isn't spewing cold air. :)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I only attended in 2012, but I thought the San Jose arena was one of the warmer arenas I've ever been in. (I was in the 6th or 7th row as I recall, so not right on top of the ice.) St. Louis, Boston and Nashville were all A LOT worse, imo. Of course, I also think it matters where the vents are from above. No matter where I was in Nashville, it seemed I was also in the down draft of one of the air vents. :cold:

Have fun everyone who is attending. I hope the crazy weather CA has been getting cooperates for you all.
I wore a knit cap the entire week in Nashville. The only other time I’ve had to do that was in Vancouver for 2018 GPF. I couldn’t get the cold out of my bones.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I wore a knit cap the entire week in Nashville. The only other time I’ve had to do that was in Vancouver for 2018 GPF. I couldn’t get the cold out of my bones.
Friends of mine attended that event as well.

They tell me that the Thunderbird Arena at UBC is the worst ever. Apart from the freezing temperatures, it's located in the middle of nowhere, the concourse is too small to handle large crowds, and that the temporary tiered seating doesn't have hand rails.

On the plus side, the food at the concession stand had some healthy options.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Friends of mine attended that event as well.

They tell me that the Thunderbird Arena at UBC is the worst ever. Apart from the freezing temperatures, it's located in the middle of nowhere, the concourse is too small to handle large crowds, and that the temporary tiered seating doesn't have hand rails.

On the plus side, the food at the concession stand had some healthy options.
The healthy options didn’t look appealing to me so I ended up eating at Freshii on campus a few times. The arena was very cramped and the hordes of people trying to catch the public bus every night was chaos. The only reason I would go back there is to stay at the amazing AirBnB we had not far from the arena.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
OMG, that was the coldest rink ever. Colder even than the one in KC (or was it the year before in St. Louis? One of those two was freezing). I had on ear muffs and a hat and a scarf. Still cold. I got up and walked laps around the concourse during breaks to warm up.

The healthy options didn’t look appealing to me so I ended up eating at Freshii on campus a few times. The arena was very cramped and the hordes of people trying to catch the public bus every night was chaos. The only reason I would go back there is to stay at the amazing AirBnB we had not far from the arena.
I had a great time. I didn't have issues with catching the bus and it ran right by my Airbnb so it was very convenient. I almost wanted to move to Vancouver after that as I loved the city as well. It's too cold though and too gloomy. I have mild SAD and need to live somewhere sunny.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Maybe they were healthy compared to the Tim Hortons donuts I lived on for weeks on end after back-packing across Canada in the early 90s!

AnnM

No matter where I was in Nashville, it seemed I was also in the down draft of one of the air vents. :cold:

On a related note, if you plan to wear a mask during events and limit your beverage intake, do yourself a favor and pack some throat lozenges or hard candy to suck on. Between being under a vent at Nashville and the other factors last year, my throat got wrecked really quickly from dryness.

ChillSkate

The Nationals schedule is really weird this year, right? I don't remember them ever having 3 Championship Short programs on Thursday. And Saturday having only Dance and Pairs with Pairs in the evening. Just seems like an odd schedule and especially fan-unfriendly for those who are traveling in since you'd have to arrive on Wednesday with Thursday being so packed with events. I guess USFSA doesn't care that much about fans though!

skatfan

The Nationals schedule is really weird this year, right? I don't remember them ever having 3 Championship Short programs on Thursday. And Saturday having only Dance and Pairs with Pairs in the evening. Just seems like an odd schedule and especially fan-unfriendly for those who are traveling in since you'd have to arrive on Wednesday with Thursday being so packed with events. I guess USFSA doesn't care that much about fans though
The schedule is usually driven by TV demands. To show how much things have changed, in 1996 the two finals were the mens and ladies (sic).

Debbie S

The schedule is usually driven by TV demands. To show how much things have changed, in 1996 the two finals were the mens and ladies (sic).
And the time difference between Nats and the Eastern Time zone. For the events to be broadcast late afternoon and evening, they need to start earlier in the day, which backs up the whole schedule. The schedule was odd in 2018, too.

carriecmu0503

The Nationals schedule is really weird this year, right? I don't remember them ever having 3 Championship Short programs on Thursday. And Saturday having only Dance and Pairs with Pairs in the evening. Just seems like an odd schedule and especially fan-unfriendly for those who are traveling in since you'd have to arrive on Wednesday with Thursday being so packed with events. I guess USFSA doesn't care that much about fans though!
It largely depends on the broadcast schedule. They want as much to air live and in a decent time slot as possible. The world revolves around Eastern time, while the event is taking place in Pacific time. There are FAR more factors in play than what is convenient for the in-person attendance fans.

Carolla5501

So Nationals schedule is driven by television? That’s why we have junior ladies at 8 AM because of television?

No, it’s obviously being driven by the desire to reduce costs. Just like the decision to remove novices from this event, etc. they are working hard to shorten the amount of time they’re using expensive arenas.

Now there are pros and cons. You don’t have to spend as long as the city to see all the events but of course you do have to be at the arena at 8 AM.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@Carolla5501 The powers that be might have considered swapping junior women‘s short with the women’s practice on but that would have them going until midnight one day and getting up early the next. The only other swaps that might have made sense would be having the junior women start a day earlier in the senior pairs practice slot, but that may have been ruled out for other reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information