2023 Lombardia Trophy Ice Dance - RD & FD

Dobre

Dozzi & Pappetti: First half felt like a dirge. Then big sweeping Nessun Dorma finish. Best part was her incredibly low position in the final element.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
All the IAM-fauxLondon efforts are being put into the CarPon basket. Everyone else is just white noise.

Dobre

Wow! Manni & Roethlisberger have made such a step up from last season. That was great!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Manni/Röthlisberger - Not sure I got what they were trying to do with this programme. They mined putting on helmets at the start and I thought it might be Tron but the music was incredibly boring. Lots of moves showing off her great flexibility.

Dobre

Manni & Roethlisberger: They seem to have used last season's success to have vaulted into a better place. Both programs are good. Clean lines. Her movement in that slow motion lift she did was so nice. Made a simple movement look perfect. Nice build at the end of the program. Their elements mostly unoriginal, but well executed. For a team that has been around, it's just so nice to see a leap forward and the development of a unique look as a team.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Manni/Röthlisberger - Not sure I got what they were trying to do with this programme. They mined putting on helmets at the start and I thought it might be Tron but the music was incredibly boring. Lots of moves showing off her great flexibility.
I'm pretty sure that was the Interstellar soundtrack

Karen-W

lol - Katerina has two layers of black chiffon so her skirt doesn't look entirely see-through/sheer!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I loved everything about this except for the weird grabbing the boards and jumping right in the judges faces

Dobre

Mrazkova & Mrazek: Giving every sign of having a smooth transition into seniors. That was skated with more confidence that most of their performances last season.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was kinda shocked they went in classic ballet direction in their first senior year but my that was exciting.

Karen-W

I loved everything about this except for the weird grabbing the boards and jumping right in the judges faces
Well, if it works for FearGib...

But, yeah, that was really good. The camera angle, especially as they came out of that board-grabbing, really highlighted their matching lines and extension. It's quite breathtaking.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Mrazeks - Another long skirt that looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Sound effects that sound like a printing press but presumably are swans flapping. Stationary lift looks very difficult and also ugly. Liked the waltz segment. They look very prepared and technically ready but today the expression didn’t really kick in until the elements were done.

I don't think Swan Lake was the best choice for them because there are so many fantastic things about their skating and this highlights things they have room to improve (posture, refinement etc). I am much less impressed by Zanni as a choreographer than a coach. Still a much better programme than Davis/Smolkin though!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Bratti/Somerville - Ne me quitte pas, glad to see a change of direction from them. Super fast stationary lift. This was well done (and as said many times, his skating skills are fab) but there's still something missing and I won't be surprised if they're overtaken domestically. And I'd have the Mrazeks ahead here.

Karen-W

BraSom - lmao - Celine Dion singing in French - that's a choice. More board-touching. Damn FearGib for inflicting this upon us!

Well, it's a huge improvement from their LaLaLand FD last season, but it feels horribly generic, pumpkin spice latte North American vanilla.

Dobre

Bratti & Somerville.

(I missed the beginning so no comments from yours truly except to say that this selection makes me miss Kostner).

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Green/Parsons - Love her dress. As with the RD, this feels like an attempt to recapture the impact of their 21/22 programmes, but the style suits them and I like the cello music. I am admiring her core strength. Oh dear, another Michael twizzle fall, this is happening so often you’d almost think he was British.

Karen-W

Well, apart from the biff on the twizzle and my natural inclination to not really care for them, I quite liked that. I can understand the raves about it over in the Dance Hall now. That has the potential to be a tour de force by the end of the season.

Dobre

Green & Parsons: Oh, Michael. Classic brain fart in the midst of competition pressure. (Fall on the final section of his twizzles). There are some nice moments in this program & it will develop; but I don't like to see stops in material unless it is used to change the tone or relationship of the program and I really don't like to see Green & Parsons end a program slow. It wastes their speed & power, which should be their strength.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information