2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Watched the full senior pairs final today...saw some things that I liked, McB/P look good together, had some nice moments although the program was not without error. Deserved first. She was so happy with their component score. E/M also looked good, again mistakes but overall I think they have some good potential together. Hope she doesn't hurt him, though, lol. One team I was impressed with as far as being a great match was W/C. He is so tall, she was way up in the air. Reminded me of Simon Shapir. I thought their line was beautiful and once they get better technically, could be good.

Most of the other teams were ok but nothing stood out to me. Except that the two lowest scored were kinda scary. The lowest team should not have been in the mix here, eso no es bueno. I know O/N-E didn't score that well but I didn't think the program was all that bad. She sure was pissed in the K&C, though. I did like F/B because I love pirate programs. Could have been a lot better of course but I enjoyed it.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
I watched the replay and I didn't realize H/N withdrew on the warmup. They started fine on the warm up, then did a 2/3?twist and she came over to the boards talked for a long time with the coach and then looked very anxious and collapsing forward. Looked like an panic attack.

Also watched the Mokhovs at COC and was happy that they did better in the FS. But still a disappointing overall performance. 😕 8th Place 134.81

Last edited:

Samurina

I watched the replay and I didn't realize H/N withdrew on the warmup. They started fine on the warm up, then did a 2/3?twist and she came over to the boards talked for a long time with the coach and then looked very anxious and collapsing forward. Looked like an panic attack.

Also watched the Mokhovs at COC and was happy that they did better in the FS. But still a disappointing overall performance. 😕 8th Place 134.81
they remind me of the greats from the 90s. its interesting to see the progress of pair skating even though many feel that it is dying out 😥

marshallpond

Pairs Final Playlist

Top 4 senior pairs free skates, junior pairs short programs, and senior pairs short programs are in here. Will be uploading the junior pairs free skate in here later this week for those who don't have Peacock or who want to watch after the replays expire
Thank you for uploading! Waiting for the other videos. Hopefully you won't get dinged for these ones

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Just watched some of the free programs right now. Did Katie and Daniil have a problem with their first lift I could not tell? And then did Martin’s and Bedard have a problem with the last lift? The start of it and the end of it? He just kind of plopped her down at the end.

I think Martin’s needs better lines with her legs in the lift position like Katie has. I guess skating skills would go to Katie and Daniil? Would be interested to see the scores.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

In the Kiss & Cry thread for all 3 U.S. Sectionals - link to my post for Senior Pairs: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...wa-bloomington-mn.111174/page-17#post-6502407

For those without access to the K&C section here, I've also been posting results on Twitter/X: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1723541746221474242

thank you. Wow I still need to watch the free of Alyisa and Misha. I’m surprised the free program differential between Katie and Daniil and Isabelle and Ryan. I mean Katie had what one or two falls? I think skating skills definitely go to Katie and Daniil but I don’t think the program of Isabell and Ryan was 102 points. Thought that would’ve been much higher.

Sylvia

TBD
I sure will miss Audrey and her triples. Is she full-time college?
Yes, Audrey Lu is full-time university student (her Instagram profile page says "UCLA ‘𝟐𝟔 | 𝐀𝐥𝐮𝐦𝐧𝐢 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐫"). My recent post in the Collegiate Skating news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/collegiate-skating.110162/#post-6500013
"Get to know Audrey Lu, Ian Kang and Megan Westphal — the new collegiate ambassadors for the 2023-24 season. These ambassadors are current college students who will serve in a leadership position and work closely with U.S. Figure Skating staff and committees to promote and grow collegiate skating in the U.S." (Oct. 30):

Sylvia

TBD
2024 U.S. Pairs Final Junior Pairs podium in Tacoma, WA (2 pics posted by Sydney Cooke who won the gold with Matthew Kennedy, coached by Roland Burghart): https://www.instagram.com/p/Czh7DArrTzx/

Medalists:
Sydney Cooke/Matthew Kennedy
Audrey Park/Carter Griffin
Adele Zheng/Andy Deng
Saya Carpenter/Jon Maravilla

Results are linked from here: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1723478875110306279

ETA:

Maravilla also qualified for Nationals in Junior Men, as did Luke Wang! They placed 4th & 5th, respectively, at the Pacific Coast Sectional Singles Final that was held in conjunction with the U.S. Pairs Final.

Last edited:

marshallpond

2024 U.S. Pairs Final Junior Pairs podium in Tacoma, WA (2 pics posted by Sydney Cooke who won the gold with Matthew Kennedy, coached by Roland Burghart): https://www.instagram.com/p/Czh7DArrTzx/

Medalists:
Sydney Cooke/Matthew Kennedy
Audrey Park/Carter Griffin
Adele Zheng/Andy Deng
Saya Carpenter/Jon Maravilla

Results are linked from here: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1723478875110306279

ETA:

Maravilla also qualified for Nationals in Junior Men, as did Luke Wang! They placed 4th & 5th, respectively, at the Pacific Coast Sectional Singles Final that was held in conjunction with the U.S. Pairs Final.
Good for Maravilla and Wang. They used to compete as kids (Wang was in MD and Maravilla was in VA so they competed in the same competitions in South Atlantic). I think it is great when you have good jumpers for pairs for better side-by-side jumps (something that is sorely lacking in many pairs teams).

Maravilla/Carpenter didn't have the best throws or twists but their SBS jumps earned them the highest tech score in junior pairs at the Pairs Finals (Carpenter got 4th in Novice Women at the Pacific Singles sectional earning her a slot in the National Development Camp.) Now they just need to improve those throws and twists

But for the Nationals, Maravilla and Wang will compete in 4 events in 2 days. Whew!

Sylvia

TBD
Pair skaters who competed in Sectional Novice singles events as well and qualified for the 2024 U.S. National High Performance Development Team & Camp (Jan. 29-30, 2024 in Columbus, Ohio):

Saya Carpenter - Pacific Novice Women's 4th place pewter medalist (Junior Pairs pewter medalist with Maravilla - ETA - they are coached by Steve Hartsell and have their own singles coaches at Detroit SC)
Sofia Jarmoc - Eastern Novice Women's 4th place pewter medalist
Luke Witkowski - Eastern Novice Men's bronze medalist
Jarmoc/Witkowski debuted in Novice Pairs at the Final & won the bronze (both Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir were with them in Tacoma): https://www.instagram.com/p/Czf4WyKOcy_/

The top 4 Novice Pairs in the Final will compete at Nationals as a separate event - medalists & link to final results: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1723140902934163596

Last edited:

Jammers

Amazing how things can change in just a few months time. Heading into 2022 Worlds with the Russians banned the US probably had the most depth of any country in the world in Pairs but now with the top 4 US teams at that time retired or broke up and the 5th team hurt the US is in a worse place in Pairs then i can remember. Even in these weak fields they are struggling to medal.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Even in these weak fields they are struggling to medal.

probably not. Once Katie and Daniil and Alisa and Misha have their clearances I think they could be getting medals.

and then there’s always Isabelle and Ryan, I love that this team goes for triples on everything and doesn’t go for single axles and doubles.

and I’m loving Chelsea and Balazs and then Elle and Danny were top 10 at worlds

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Once again, Kam/O'Shea finished TWELFTH at Worlds this year. They became an "invited" team wit 2 guaranteed assignments after Knierim/FraIer retired and Efimova/Blommaert split.

interesting whatever commentator I listen to last time they performed said they finish 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information