2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over from the U.S. National Qualifying info thread in GSD:
USFS' press release today (Nov. 21, 2023):

"The following athletes have qualified for the 2024 U.S. Championships (and how they qualified)" with Sectional placements added below by me:

Senior Pairs (12)
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe (bye)
Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-5
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-2
Linzy Fitzpatrick and Keyton Bearinger (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-6
Ellie Kam and Danny O’Shea (bye)
Ellie Korytek and Timothy Chapman (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-4
Chelsea Liu and Balazs Nagy (bye)
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-3
Katie McBeath and Daniil Parkman (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-1
Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov (bye)
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez (bye)
Megan Wessenberg and Edoardo Caputo (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-7

Junior Pairs (9)
Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-4
Sydney Cooke and Matthew Kennedy (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-1
Melania Delis and Jaden Schwab (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-7
Ashley Fletcher and Aaron Felberbaum (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-6
Olivia Flores and Luke Wang (bye)
Reagan Moss and Jakub Galbavy (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-5
Audrey Park and Carter Griffin (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-2
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer (bye)
Adele Zheng and Andy Deng (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-3

Novice Pairs (4)
Jolena Grohne and Reede Lunt (U.S. Pairs Final) N2
Sofia Jarmoc and Luke Witkowski (U.S. Pairs Final) N3
Milada Kovar and Nickolai Apter (U.S. Pairs Final) N4
Baylen Taich and Michael Chapa (U.S. Pairs Final) N1

Note: USFS has yet to announce their 2024 Youth Olympic Games team (selection criterion is highest NQS score of the YOG age-eligible skaters in each discipline) and [the pair team] is expected to be ... Cayla Smith/Jared McPike (only YOG age-eligible pair).

Sylvia

TBD
Plazas/Fernandez are confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page as of yesterday (11/20/23) for Golden Spin of Zagreb, which would be their 2nd CS assignment after Nebelhorn Trophy.

dancing_on_ice

Currently, Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer are the only 2 US Junior Pairs teams with Junior Worlds minimums. Is USFS planning on sending teams like Park/Griffin or Zheng/Deng to Bavarian Open the week after nationals for them to get minimums to fill the 3 Junior World spots? Bavarian Open is the week after US Nats this year, and last year it was also the week after US Nats, and USFS sent 2 teams (Williams/Lewer, Murray/Gillette) to Bavarian Open to get minimums. Currently, Bavarian Open is not currently listed in USFS’ International Assignments page, but competitions have been added to the list before (Warsaw Cup was not on the list at the start of the season and was added later on).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Currently, Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer are the only 2 US Junior Pairs teams with Junior Worlds minimums. Is USFS planning on sending teams like Park/Griffin or Zheng/Deng to Bavarian Open the week after nationals for them to get minimums to fill the 3 Junior World spots? Bavarian Open is the week after US Nats this year, and last year it was also the week after US Nats, and USFS sent 2 teams (Williams/Lewer, Murray/Gillette) to Bavarian Open to get minimums. Currently, Bavarian Open is not currently listed in USFS’ International Assignments page, but competitions have been added to the list before (Warsaw Cup was not on the list at the start of the season and was added later on).
I suppose we will have to wait and see. Smith/McPike have been assigned to the Winter Youth Olympic Games and will have an opportunity to get the TES mins there.

I would hope that Park/Griffin and/or any other teams that do well at Nats are sent to Bavarian Open the following week. Having said that, the US has not used all of their spots at Jr Worlds in the past and I'm fairly certain that a healthy Williams/Lewer and Flores/Wang could earn three spots for 2025 JWC.

dancing_on_ice

the US has not used all of their spots at Jr Worlds in the past and I'm fairly certain that a healthy Williams/Lewer and Flores/Wang could earn three spots for 2025 JWC.
Was any explanation given for why USFS sent just 2 teams (Baram/Tioumentsev and Williams/Lewer) last year? Murray/Gillette were the first substitutes who had technical minimums and were age eligible. Was there a reason why they weren't sent?

Karen-W

Emily just shared this sneak peek of Spencer in his SP costume (looks sort of flashy/Elvis-y to me) -

Hoping this means they're on track for Nationals!

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Hanns/Neudecker for those of us who had to think for a bit about who you meant. ;)

Also, SMDH that Dalilah is trying to worm her way back into the US pairs scene. It's bad enough that she's got one team in Digerness/Sadusky.
It's sad that a team that an abbreviation of a team that got a gp assignment (that was taken away) is still not recognized amongst us fans haha

Seems to be officially that they switched although no public posts (yet)

Stephanie

USFS just added the Bavarian Open to their list of competitions on the international assignments page. Hopefully this means that one or two junior pairs will go (Park/Griffin, maybe Zheng/Deng) in order to hopefully get the minimums for junior worlds. Entries were due yesterday.

ice coverage

Olivia Flores and Luke Wang were guests for a post-JGPF podcast hosted by Team USA ice dancers Elliana and Ethan Peal.

I look forward to watching the whole thing (59 minutes, posted Dec 20).
I definitely enjoyed sampling the first seven minutes. Wholesome with a capital W. 🤗 The foursome became fast friends at JGP Austria, and the Peals are all ears about Liv and Luke's experience at JGPF.

ETA:​
I could not help smiling along throughout this entire conversation. Although it is quite lengthy, the deep camaraderie is very endearing.
I already had positive feelings about these four skaters, and came away with a stronger sense of each individual.
Lots of laughter, some good anecdotes, also some more serious reflection/thoughts.​

Last edited:

Carolla5501

H/N switched to Dalilah.
Really ashamed that their family members didn’t stop them from doing this.

It’s incredibly sad that this young lady and her family thought that being abused was the only way to get ahead in this sport.

US figure skating could put a stop to this by just putting a word in the ear of the skater family that you do understand if you go to her we won’t be very supportive

There is a reason I will never make another donation to US figure skating. Giving money to a place that doesn’t prioritize the mental health of its athletes over the race to glory is repulsive to me.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Really ashamed that their family members didn’t stop them from doing this.

It’s incredibly sad that this young lady and her family thought that being abused was the only way to get ahead in this sport.

US figure skating could put a stop to this by just putting a word in the ear of the skater family that you do understand if you go to her we won’t be very supportive

There is a reason I will never make another donation to US figure skating. Giving money to a place that doesn’t prioritize the mental health of its athletes over the race to glory is repulsive to me.
Surprisingly enough, they both skated under Dalilah for many years (Hanns with Kris Ogren in Novice/Jr & Neudecker/Digerness in Jr/Sr , and then Neudecker/Fakhroutdinov) Neudecker/Fakhroutdinov were one of the first to switch to WASA Pairs ( Meekins/and Mishtukoniek with Kam/Meyh after th Tj/Aljona scandal. I would think both H/N have seen a lot through those years.

Poor Digerness as well for staying with Dalilah. It really baffles me where this decision came from and what kind of power Dalilah has over these grown adults. I know on one hand that they are old enough to make these decisions on their own but where is their families and why is US Figure Skating not protecting them?

aliona22

It could be that Dalilah targeted certain students for abuse while doting on others. I don’t doubt the love some of her students expressed for her. It can be hard to see situations clearly when a person you care about and think you know well is accused of such awful behavior.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Tarah Kayne is now coaching at the Toronto Lakeshore Skating School

Karen-W

I hope someone in Boston can attend the SCoB show on Sunday, Jan 6th -

Spencer Howe just shared the link to the SCoB post on his IG story with the caption "Excited to be performing!" Hopefully that means a preview of one of Chan/Howe's programs ahead of Nationals!

Karen-W

Pics from the SCoB Nats send-off...

Efimova/Mitrofanov are in their FS costumes and I think Chan/Howe are also - the pic Spencer shared last month of his SP costume fitting was a white shirt.

Karen-W

Karen-W

Article about McBeath/Parkman ahead of Nationals from figureskatersonline.com -

The article confirms that Nats is their last competition of the season so it sounds like he doesn't expect his release until later this spring or summer.
Also - there was one interesting tidbit that I forgot to include...

The U.S. Pairs Final was special as it was in Seattle where Parkman took his first steps on ice as a child.

We know from his ISU bio that he was born in Russia but it does sound like he might have at least one American parent, so he very well might have US citizenship already.

Karen-W

Park/Griffin and Zheng/Deng are on the Bavarian Open entry list. Neither team has the junior worlds minimums at this point. The website is down but I’ll post the link when I’m home from work and the site is hopefully back up. 😊
Excellent news! That gives 3 teams a chance to get the Jr Worlds TES mins that week - Smith/McPike at WYOG and Park/Griffin & Zheng/Deng at Bavarian Open. Hopefully at least one of them will manage it and we'll be able to send 3 teams to Jr Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information