2022 Skate America

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Thanks. I was just about to post the question about how cold the arena can be, since I remember reading somewhere that Tenley E. Albright Performance Center was very cold.
It might be on Thursday, but they really strive to keep it above 65°. I’ve always been comfortable and rarely need the extra layers.

Gusmom

Banned Member
I just spent three days at the Boston Open. The arena is comfortable, and the seats are really comfy. The snack bar is decent as well. And you can refill water bottles easily at the fountains.
Can you enlighten us on the snack bar? And also is it sufficient enough for a full arena or are we going to be in line for an hour each time?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Can you enlighten us on the snack bar? And also is it sufficient enough for a full arena or are we going to be in line for an hour each time?
The lines at the gala were insane, but I think the flow will be much better at a longer event as most people will have multiple opportunities for food. The main cafe has a wide variety of healthy and not so healthy options.

alizadavida

I haven’t been to the arena when the snack bar was open. Two times I went had a bar with no lines and once had two food buffets also no lines. Rink was warmer than my usual rinks - I was comfortable in just a t shirt but at the r sitting for a while I had to put a jacket on

SaSherka

There's the 1240 cafe.

If I recall correctly, there's a snack bar on the mezzanine level and a fuller menu at the cafe downstairs, but the access was convoluted and required one to go outside to get in, due to some lower level areas being blocked off for officials during Cranberry Open/Cup.

azcalder

I haven’t been to the arena when the snack bar was open. Two times I went had a bar with no lines and once had two food buffets also no lines. Rink was warmer than my usual rinks - I was comfortable in just a t shirt but at the r sitting for a while I had to put a jacket on
https://thisweekinskating.com/episodes/.

Our second episode, out mid-week, features a very special guest, along with information about Skate America! We encourage anyone who is attending Skate America to tune into this episode!

mattiecat13

We had soup from the downstairs snack bar when we attended the Cranberry Open. It was delicious but I wonder how they will handle the crowds of hungry spectators during Skate America. But if you have a car, it looked like there were plenty of restaurants nearby.

The temperature in the rink was comfortable, too.

https://thisweekinskating.com/episodes/.

Our second episode, out mid-week, features a very special guest, along with information about Skate America! We encourage anyone who is attending Skate America to tune into this episode!
Thanks @azcalder :) for posting about our upcoming episode! Yes, if you are going to Skate America, you'll want to listen to our episode as we have some information that was given to us by U.S. Figure Skating that might be of interest to you regarding the event. We also have a special guest on the episode as well!

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
For anyone staying at the Sheraton Norwood, they have a complimentary shuttle Monday - Friday and will drop you off anywhere within a 5 mile radius (which includes the SCOB). You have to reserve a timeslot. Needless to say... I bought a parking pass and will rent a car. (Sigh). :drama:

alizadavida

‪I just got an email from scob saying my shift was pending for the anti doping champion. What does that entail lol ‬

sk9tingfan

‪I just got an email from scob saying my shift was pending for the anti doping champion. What does that entail lol ‬
It could be taking the athletes to and from the bathroom and making sure that there is no tampering with urine samples. While things have obviously evolved since the Lake Placid Olympics, a friend of mine who was with The National Guard and a lab tech said that the highlight of her experience there was having to watch Eric Heiden submitting a sample. My guess they'll have a male watching the guys.

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

We had soup from the downstairs snack bar when we attended the Cranberry Open. It was delicious but I wonder how they will handle the crowds of hungry spectators during Skate America. But if you have a car, it looked like there were plenty of restaurants nearby.

The temperature in the rink was comfortable, too.
It’s retail Mecca in Norwood. Lots of chain restaurants between the rink and the Courtyard Marriott. I recommend Not Your Average Joe’s. I’ve had the cheeseburger and the chicken Caesar wrap, and desserts are also good. Lots of fast casual places (Panera, etc.) as well.
As for the snack bars, I’d expect both will be open For SKAM. Only the lower level was open during the Boston Open, but that event only drew family and friends of the competitors.
Both were open for the event I went to last year Trusova competed, but I don’t recall which competition it was - last season is a blur!

sk9tingfan

Our mid-week podcast episode is out! We talked with Jackie Wong "Rocker Skating" about this year's Grand Prix Series and Skate America. He gives us a bold prediction. ;) Also, we have the answers to some of the questions people are asking about Skate America. Questions like food, parking, what you can bring in, COVID protocols, etc. Listen here: https://www.thisweekinskating.com/episodes/
It was a pleasure to listen to this podcast! Looking forward to being at Norwood for this great event!

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Anyone have advice or instructions on how to take the T from the airport to the 128 Station? I will be arriving at Logan Airport around 8:30 am on Friday. I was supposed to get there on Wednesday and rent a car, but I had to change up my plans. Still hoping to arrive in time to catch all of the practices on Friday.

sk9tingfan

Cross-referencing from the Nathan Chen thread. Nathan is speaking at Northeastern University on Saturday evening. It makes me wonder if he will make an appearance at SA. Not having him around during the men's free skate would be a good move.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan, not surprisingly, won the SKATING magazine Readers' Choice Skater of the Year Award for the 2021-22 season and supposedly the winner "will be presented with the Michelle Kwan Trophy at an upcoming championship event" so maybe in Norwood? :)

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Anyone have advice or instructions on how to take the T from the airport to the 128 Station? I will be arriving at Logan Airport around 8:30 am on Friday. I was supposed to get there on Wednesday and rent a car, but I had to change up my plans. Still hoping to arrive in time to catch all of the practices on Friday.
Use the Trip Planner: https://www.mbta.com/
It appears that route generally takes around 55 minutes.

SaSherka

Use the Trip Planner: https://www.mbta.com/
It appears that route generally takes around 55 minutes.
The basic advice is to take (still free?) Silver Line #3 bus from the airport to South Station and then get on the Providence-bound commuter rail.

You could also use Google Maps trip planner, which gives you non-MBTA options, like connecting to/from stations via Lyft/Uber, getting on airport shuttle bus to Copley Sq / Back Bay station or even catching the Amtrak regional train to the 128 Norwood station.

I just checked Lyft/Uber prices from the Central Garage pickup at Logan all the way to SCoB and I got $35-50 and 35-45 min ride.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
My plans to rent a car did not work out--which I am secretly not sad about as Boston drivers, shudder--as Budget sent me this great offer if I put in my email address, which I did, and when I clicked the link....surprise! No cars available for that rate! How about this SUV for 80bazillion dollars? Or a Ford Fiesta for 40bazillion dollars? What happened to the nice Camry for $280? silence Err...ugh...dragons?

I arrive early afternoon on Thursday so am hoping Ubers will be plentiful at the airport. I don't really want to fool with public transport with my very large suitcase and very large purse and very large self. I decided all of my shoes deserve to see skating and it is my duty as a Southerner to pack for any and all emergency contingencies should the weather fall below 65 degrees.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
My plans to rent a car did not work out--which I am secretly not sad about as Boston drivers, shudder--as Budget sent me this great offer if I put in my email address, which I did, and when I clicked the link....surprise! No cars available for that rate! How about this SUV for 80bazillion dollars? Or a Ford Fiesta for 40bazillion dollars? What happened to the nice Camry for $280? silence Err...ugh...dragons?

I arrive early afternoon on Thursday so am hoping Ubers will be plentiful at the airport. I don't really want to fool with public transport with my very large suitcase and very large purse and very large self. I decided all of my shoes deserve to see skating and it is my duty as a Southerner to pack for any and all emergency contingencies should the weather fall below 65 degrees.
I plan on just getting an Uber to our hotel in Norwood! I get in around 1:30-ish.

65 degrees? You're hardier than I am! Anything under 75 and I am like GIVE ME A DAMN SWEATER. But as a very short person I'll be bringing my cute heeled Chelsea boots so I do not look as much of a 12 year old.

sk9tingfan

I plan on just getting an Uber to our hotel in Norwood! I get in around 1:30-ish.

65 degrees? You're hardier than I am! Anything under 75 and I am like GIVE ME A DAMN SWEATER. But as a very short person I'll be bringing my cute heeled Chelsea boots so I do not look as much of a 12 year old.
When I was there for Cranberry in August, I found it to be cold. Then again, there was practically empty, so, so much for ambient body heat. With a sold-out house, it will probably be toasty!

Gusmom

Banned Member
When I was there for Cranberry in August, I found it to be cold. Then again, there was practically empty, so, so much for ambient body heat. With a sold-out house, it will probably be toasty!
Layers! Also even if it’s warm, the wind may make it feel colder. Generally an unpredictable time of year.
I live about 40 min away.

My current wardrobe essentials: Comfy tee + light sweater or over shirt or half zip (light fleece) + mid-weight jacket (I have one that’s sweatshirt-like weight & one fleece). Lightweight fleece hat in my car.

YukiNieve

I'm a bit confused... is the judge side 114-115 or 105-107?

OK... I think it is 114-115.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information